Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What can you do with a battle fleet other than go to war? Are there like pirates that need to be taken out, or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

With our full fleet, I suspect we could take that super secret spy sat down, and break one of the Syndicate's more legendary arms.

No, no no no. He's in a monitoring satellite. Sending in the full fleet will just let him get away. Send in something small, something stealthy, something he won't be able to see coming from ten systems over.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As president of the Citizen's Patriotic Association I request that a flagship not be built until we are able to fit it with entirely Harmony designed-and-built equipment. It would not do for the pride of our fleet to be using weapons manufactured by, not to put too fine a point on it, a foreigner.

Hail the Overlord!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NewMars posted:

No, no no no. He's in a monitoring satellite. Sending in the full fleet will just let him get away. Send in something small, something stealthy, something he won't be able to see coming from ten systems over.

If it has several cloaking technologies, it has advanced radar detection And with its defenses, you can say bye bye to that ship. Send in the whole fleet. It may be advanced, but it's still a satellite. It's not like it can just fly away.

Then it would be an orbiting spaceship :colbert:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
...How do you think he got to the satellite in the first place? You think he doesn't have some kind of tricked out private spaceship?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NewMars posted:

...How do you think he got to the satellite in the first place? You think he doesn't have some kind of tricked out private spaceship?

The same way everyone gets satellites up there. You take a ship and put it into orbit. I doubt the dude will make it fly away as it's supposed to be his home base.

He could still have an escape ship, which means all the more reasons we go in full power.

Even if it was a tricked out ship, it's all the more reason to throw everything we got at it.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 29, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There must be a better way. You can presume that the Syndicate leader and his satellite are going to be above whatever world he tries to take next. We just beat up a madman and his family, and a half-arsed effort to take out a pushover. That isn't quite the same as taking out the leader of the Syndicate's private satellite plus the fleet he has guarding it.

I'd wait until we have a bunch more research under our belt, and get to the bottom of some of the things we're working on. How'd it pan out with the missing scientist in the end, or is that still ongoing?

In the meantime, maybe go hunt down some nobles, and if they collapse easily enough, how's about working over some criminals over at the pirate planet?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

jBrereton posted:

There must be a better way. You can presume that the Syndicate leader and his satellite are going to be above whatever world he tries to take next. We just beat up a madman and his family, and a half-arsed effort to take out a pushover. That isn't quite the same as taking out the leader of the Syndicate's private satellite plus the fleet he has guarding it.

I'd wait until we have a bunch more research under our belt, and get to the bottom of some of the things we're working on. How'd it pan out with the missing scientist in the end, or is that still ongoing?

In the meantime, maybe go hunt down some nobles, and if they collapse easily enough, how's about working over some criminals over at the pirate planet?

Our fleet, that is in orbit, spied the sattelite. There is no fleet poised to rescue it.

Though the idea of sending a stealth ship in with a bioweapon to devour the crew from the inside does have a certain appeal.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
The point is moot at this very moment because the satellite appears to be unmanned. Nobody is home.

Maybe if we can get him while he's in it. Perhaps in a very large net. :henget:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Seravadon posted:

The point is moot at this very moment because the satellite appears to be unmanned. Nobody is home.

Maybe if we can get him while he's in it. Perhaps in a very large net. :henget:

Moot? moot? If the satellite is unmanned, why the hell aren't we towing it back to Harmony right now?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Because that might incur the wrath of our shapeless masters, infidel.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

AJ_Impy posted:

Moot? moot? If the satellite is unmanned, why the hell aren't we towing it back to Harmony right now?

I'd rather have a satellite with a super spy in it than an empty satellite.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, it says "RUNNING a mining planet" in the title? Not "ruining"? Man, I've been voting wrong the whole time :eng99:

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Well, any way you slice it, we have to get more info on that satellite. Investigate it any way we can, including calling the supposed owner of our little slice of silence and cloaks.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Update 11: Things Happen and a Bonus Update 6/1/96 - 6/30/96

Planetary Information Acquired
Harmony Fleet Specs
Ship Building Tutorial

Fan Mail

Green Intern posted:

Dear Overlord,

It's me, Billy! Sorry that I haven't written in a while. My dad was real mad for a bit but we saw the battle last night up in the sky, and he says he's totally changed his mind on you. Mom didn't want me to repeat this but he said "maybe the overdouche isn't such a prick after all." What does that mean, Overlord? Mom wouldn't tell me.

I think you should send some more ships to save more people from those syndicate meanies. And maybe we can call that man with the satellite?! He sounds really cool. I wish I had a cool satellite base like that, but I still have fun with my treehouse! Mom's calling me. Bye Overlord!

-Billy, Age 9

It means your dad will not have to go back in for reeducation. I will try calling Jerov Laddry again but the Syndicate agent does not seem to want to take my calls.

The Lone Badger posted:

As president of the Citizen's Patriotic Association I request that a flagship not be built until we are able to fit it with entirely Harmony designed-and-built equipment. It would not do for the pride of our fleet to be using weapons manufactured by, not to put too fine a point on it, a foreigner.

Hail the Overlord!

Well, the entire hull is going to be built by foreigners. I plan to put Harmony Systems in. They are the best and also the cheapest.

Pierzak posted:

Wait, it says "RUNNING a mining planet" in the title? Not "ruining"? Man, I've been voting wrong the whole time :eng99:

Well, we have to strip mine it either way.

Monthly Report

To everyone wanting me to destroy and capture the satellite I think it would be best to wait for Jerov to be in it.

Actually there is no way to attack it or capture it. I tried. I am guessing it is there for story missions yet to come.

As it is I plan to blackmail the queen of Huygen, launch an attack fleet to humble the planet, and then have said fleet land an insurgency agent to drum up support. We will see how it goes.

6/1/96

I try to call Jerov Laddry, the Syndicate agent, but he is still not taking my calls.

The fleet has been given attack orders and is enroute to Huygen to lay low the evil queen.

The Serenity is waiting for an agent to be freed to run a recon on Tarso. Time to check up on that wacky android.

And our finances are looking good. We are ready to build the flagship once we have enough free staff to crew the thing:

6/2/96

All ship are now away again. I pore over research reports.

I am not sure it is a bug but I am pretty sure research goes faster if the day ticks over while you are on the research screen. I am not the only one to notice this and others on the internet support the theory. Not sure if it is a bug or intentional.

6/7/96

The queen responded:

...decided to pay you, but bear in mind that such a transgression will not be treated lightly. Good day.

$80,000! Nice. I almost feel bad about the incoming armada.

Not enough to call it off or call off the insurgency agent onboard.

6/9/96

I get a call from research. The Organic project is completed.

...it.

Taste tests are being run now.

This is our first non-ship system upgrade. I think there are quite a few of them. I assume this ups crew morale in starship combat. I can't really test it. I expect the morale to be higher in this next fight due to increased wages and military budget.

I am also surprised that Tool has not researched anything yet. In the dummy games I ran briefly before this LP both times they invented something in the first 2 months. More research left for me I guess. I know they are the same systems as I researched one of them in this LP myself.

I order them back to the labs to come up with bio-weapons that we will not be feeding to our own troops.

6/15/96

The fleet arrives at Huygen:

COWARDS!!!!!

...but our cooler head has prevailed. However, if this should happen again, I will yield to the decision of our counsel.

And do what? Not be my friend anymore? I decide not to nuke the planet from orbit.

Poll numbers came in again, I am at 96% approval.

Hopefully the agent will land tomorrow.

6/16/96

What? I ordered you to cause riots in the streets. Steal the women, rape the horses, that kind of thing. I didn't send you for recon. Idiot.

I checked and I did pick the right mission. Might be a bug or they just used the same text for a failed recon mission and insurgency mission.

I recall the fleet from Huygen. Looks like we have done all we can. No medal ceremony since their fleet is made up of chickenshits.

6/19/96

The L planet mission (planet of hostile aliens, I am sick of typing out that stupid name so they are now the L planet) just arrived.

...altered.

We have almost nothing in the file other then they xenophobically attack anything entering their space. I want details. SIN is losing its edge. What happened to the good old days when you found blackmail material, androids, and secret spy satellites?

Oh well, may have to slate a military mission for the planet. That might get their attention.

6/20/96

...explosion, but we can't find any explanation for the explosion in the first place. I think somebody's deliberately causing trouble, but I can't prove it. The SIN said they'd send someone over to take a look.

I need to free up more staff for SIN. From now on all research projects are getting cut back to 15 staff each instead of 20.

I thought I could pull them out but turns out you cannot adjust staff on an ongoing project, only at project start.

6/22/96

Our ship arrives at Thyzahn to pick up our agent. Ordering them home. All ships are heading home except for the Serenity headed for Tarso.

6/27/96

The Serenity arrives at Tarso.

...now more complete. Though we had established communication with the commune leader previously I have now contacted the President as well, her name is Rino Velle. I should warn you, she is a rather strange individual. There is now a complete file on here as well as Tarso.

Tarso

Alignment: None

Compendium Entry: About two-thirds of this planet is inhabited by the Bahal commune. The Grand High Exalted and also very Groovy Kahuna is named Quishhan Bahal. The basic idea behind the Bahal faith is that whatever the High Kahuna says is straight from the lips of the Cosmic Chaos, so you better believe it. The Cosmic Chaos shuns all not of the faith, and thus the Bahal Commune has no alliance with either the Syndicate or the rebels. Medium population.

General: Two-thirds of Tarso is controlled by the Gybesh Commune under the guidance of the Groovy Kahuna. He shuns most forms of technology, unless he feels they benefit his commune. He does not believe in warfare or interstellar travel, nor will he communicate with anyone except for import and export reasons. The rest of the planet is run more or less as a standard democratic system, but the government of Tarso always acts in the Commune's best interests.
Update: The non-commune third of Tarso is unremarkable in most respects, though the Tarso government goes to extremes to comply with the wishes of the Kahuna. The Gybesh Commune controls the rest of Tarso, and the worshippers have an unswaying devotion to the Kahuna. The Gybesh faith is indistinct, but the rules appear to have been arbitrarily designed by the Groovy Kahuna and they change regularly.

Military: The Tarso government once had a mounted military force but the Gybesh Commune's Groovy Kahuna decided it was not in keeping with the faith and asked that it be removed, which it was. In 0174 a group of rebels from Esbastista tried to takeover the Commune, but upon landing they were torn apart by the worshippers of the Commune who attacked with bare hands and with no regard for their own lives.

Name: Quishhan Gybesh
Role: Groovy Kahuna
Planet: Tarso
Stats: Pious, Long-winded, Friendly
Bio: His full title is the Grand High Exalted and very Groovy Kahuna of the Gybesh Commune, which he himself founded. He has been known to use drugs on his worshippers, to keep them compliant. However, by using his followers for agricultural projects he has vastly improved the economy of Tarso.
Update: Gybesh is an android. His designer died many years ago. Gybesh is programmed to keep Tarso prosperous at all costs, and the commune was the android's solution. While Gybesh himself cannot be threatened, threatening an attack on Tarso will force him to complay with your wishes.

Name: Rino Velle
Role: President
Stats: Slow, Naive, Honest
Bio: President Velle is an enigma. She does not appear to possess the intelligence and social skills to function in everyday life, let alone the position of power she holds. Dealing with her is difficult, as she is child-like and flighty. Some hold this is a facade she uses to unnerve her political enemies.

Well, the new military information is kind of freaky. I call the president:

...an agreement or something. That would be nice. I'll ask my cabinet, and if they say it's all right, I'll call you back.

I call a few more times:

Okay......we need a dossier on her.....now!

6/29/96

The missile research project is finished.

...procedure, saving money, man-hours, and reducing the chance of an accident.

Not sure how that involves missiles but neat. Good job. Now get back to work with a reduced staff. 5 more staff for SIN. I boost all departments to a $25,000 budget, a 150% increase since I took office. The people down-voting me in the polls are probably libertarians.

6/30/96

Budget looks solid and mines are all still running a profit. Fitz prices are dropping again but they went up last month. Probably nothing to worry about. They are minor price moves.

Research is chugging along:

Goon Input

Okay, things are going well. I am tempted to (once the flagship is built) rush out and attack the L Planet. I see no other way to make contact. Thoughts?

Any other suggested endeavors? Attack Huygen again and call the queen's bluff? Attack somewhere else? Start recon of Syndicate space? Recon of Rimble the planet of smugglers and pirates?

I also think I am going to bump up exec and staff pay by another $10 or $20 a month. I can't get more staff but maybe I can make them more efficient. Thoughts?

Bonus Update that Never Happened

Brought to you by the magic of saved games.

I decide to blackmail and extort money from all of my own cabinet except SIN cause we got nothing. Let's see what happens.

The Governor

She is the daughter of a whore and a miner. We will exploit this:

...proposal.

:(

Head of Research

He bribed a professor to help get his degree due to burnout but he probably would have gotten the degree anyways.

...will send your offer the Uvgod immediately.

Response:

A what?

Head of Military

He killed a superior officer in a bar fight and it was hushed up.

...per your orders we are sending a message to him with our proposition.

...earned.

Wait, I thought the Governor was my second?

Head of Mining

She is infertile and is trying desperately to have a baby to carry on her lineage which is a prominent one on Harmony and has even looked into buying a baby from other planets.

...proposal to Noel Ainchrist immediately.

:( I feel dirty. And the money wasn't that good either.

I am guessing this lowers the effectiveness of the department and makes you feel like a rat bastard.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Glorious Overlord, I am... concerned about some our scientists. Tastier food? Unmanned shuttle programming? They were supposed to be developing weapons for our triumphant nation! I would hate to question their loyalty, but it may be that you will have to 'encourage' them to set their priorities appropriately.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Boss,

For you, we're ready to go to L and back. Just point us at 'em and we'll 'communicate'.

Executive Officer Lomas DuQuesne,
Fitzgerald.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What about that sleeping AI-planet? Can we do something about the Eyeball? Maybe waking it up and convincing it to smash the Syndicate for us?

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
Can you attempt to get a dossier on Jerov Laddry again? Maybe it'll work now that you've found his satelite?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Hypothetical you should feel good about Ainchrist, he delayed the apocalypse.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 31, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Dear Mr Overdude sir,

Hey man its been a while right? OK so we've been hearing all this crazy stuff about Bird and what they're doing down there but that L planet is really creeping us out, you know? It's like time we get together at the board meetings and get, um, enlightened or something, we started tripping out about all the crazy alien poo poo they've got down there. And boy do we want to experiment with it. For, you know, science and stuff.

So maybe you can invade Planet L at your earliest convenience, then give us first dibs on what's down there. I promise you won't be disappointed.

As you didn't answer our last letter, which really bummed us out, enclosed is another small contribution to the war effort.

Yours in spirit,
Urist

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So have you determined if double insurrections work? If not, we should really figure that out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I always feel a bit like a dick invading people no matter the circumstances. ...I wonder if you can actually take over other worlds in this game or if they're effectively vassal states.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Glazius posted:

I always feel a bit like a dick invading people no matter the circumstances. ...I wonder if you can actually take over other worlds in this game or if they're effectively vassal states.

I am pretty sure you cannot conquer and run another world.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Everyone's just jealous of the Syndicate's political discovery of conquest and multi-planet polities.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Overlord:

I believe that we should Invade L Land, if only for the possibility that a show of force is the proper way to make contact with them. However, I also think that we need to get a good, proper flagship up, one brimming with weaponry, the pride of Harmony! And, say, should it need a programmer, I know that someone's been putting in a few personnel transfer requests that haven't been answered...and for the record, the Goonswarm is very hard to keep stable, what with all the different miniships that have to work together.

In short: Invasion, Weapons, Personnel Transfer.

Signed,
Ettore Lagenhol
Chief Programmer of the Minifleet Goonswarm

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Overlord,

Sorry it's been so long since I've spoken to you, but it's been slow at the Nutrient Haus after the east wall explosion in the nearby mine, so my hours got cut. I try not to be home too much because my mom always nags me that I should get a better job. I do like working there, though! It's relaxed, I stand all day so it's almost like excessive, I can get a free StimSip each shift if I want it, sometimes its slow so I can daydream about Fitzerfly and where the crew might have gone if it wasn't for those stigwhurts at the network... um, anyway! You also meet all sorts of people, from miners to mining supervisors to mining surveyors and sometimes first-class miners. I've even learned how to flush a foodstuff extruder, which I'm told isn't that far from an oscillating granulate separator. This place is just a stepping stone is a long journey of success for me, but I don't want to rush anything. It's a dangerous world out there, especially now. I'm sure with your leadership, we can all soon enjoy the leisure of peace, of which the utmost is free televids for all.

Baphrdray Dane
Assistant Manager, Nutrient Haus

P.S. My mother said I forgot to make a suggestion again. I think you should send the Serenity to gather recon on Rimble. What I'm thinking is that intel on some rough customers will rub off on her crew, and they'll be much more of an inspiration for our great planet as they grow more like the original crew of the Fitzerfly (She also was upset because I said she was nagging me. I mean, I know it's just because she worries, but galaxy! I'm a grown man and I can do what I want, MOM.)

Translation: Send recon ships to Rimble.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Update 12: Research Projects and Syndicate Agent on Harmony 7/1/96 - 7/31/96

Planetary Information Acquired
Harmony Fleet Specs
Ship Building Tutorial

Fan Mail

The Lone Badger posted:

Glorious Overlord, I am... concerned about some our scientists. Tastier food? Unmanned shuttle programming? They were supposed to be developing weapons for our triumphant nation! I would hate to question their loyalty, but it may be that you will have to 'encourage' them to set their priorities appropriately.

I applaud them. They are providing delicious foods for our troops to eat so they shoot their weapons better and better nav programs for our mining shuttles which increases our profits.

AJ_Impy posted:

Boss,

For you, we're ready to go to L and back. Just point us at 'em and we'll 'communicate'.

Fitzgerald.

Soon, I will send you.

Libluini posted:

What about that sleeping AI-planet? Can we do something about the Eyeball? Maybe waking it up and convincing it to smash the Syndicate for us?

Nothing we have discovered yet.

Rogue Norwegian posted:

Can you attempt to get a dossier on Jerov Laddry again? Maybe it'll work now that you've found his satelite?

I have been continuously trying to run dossiers on the guy since I have had extra agents. No luck yet.

Readingaccount posted:

Hypothetical you should feel good about Ainchrist, he delayed the apocalypse.

I do not fear the AntiChrist. My Chief Scientist "Armor of God", sorry, Armor Uvgod, will protect us.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Dear Mr Overdude sir,

Hey man its been a while right? OK so we've been hearing all this crazy stuff about Bird and what they're doing down there but that L planet is really creeping us out, you know? It's like time we get together at the board meetings and get, um, enlightened or something, we started tripping out about all the crazy alien poo poo they've got down there. And boy do we want to experiment with it. For, you know, science and stuff.

So maybe you can invade Planet L at your earliest convenience, then give us first dibs on what's down there. I promise you won't be disappointed.

As you didn't answer our last letter, which really bummed us out, enclosed is another small contribution to the war effort.

Yours in spirit,
Urist

As soon as the Dragon flagship is built I plan to pay a visit to the planet L.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So have you determined if double insurrections work? If not, we should really figure that out.

Will start on that soon.

Glazius posted:

I don't even think they become vassals. I think they just give you stuff.

Readingaccount posted:

Everyone's just jealous of the Syndicate's political discovery of conquest and multi-planet polities.

I will get my scientists studying Feudalism as soon as they are done researching Currency.

Pyroi posted:

Overlord:

I believe that we should Invade L Land, if only for the possibility that a show of force is the proper way to make contact with them. However, I also think that we need to get a good, proper flagship up, one brimming with weaponry, the pride of Harmony! And, say, should it need a programmer, I know that someone's been putting in a few personnel transfer requests that haven't been answered...and for the record, the Goonswarm is very hard to keep stable, what with all the different miniships that have to work together.

In short: Invasion, Weapons, Personnel Transfer.

Signed,
Ettore Lagenhol
Chief Programmer of the Minifleet Goonswarm

I will consider your transfer request when the ship is built.

Magnetic North posted:

Overlord,

Sorry it's been so long since I've spoken to you, but it's been slow at the Nutrient Haus after the east wall explosion in the nearby mine, so my hours got cut. I try not to be home too much because my mom always nags me that I should get a better job. I do like working there, though! It's relaxed, I stand all day so it's almost like excessive, I can get a free StimSip each shift if I want it, sometimes its slow so I can daydream about Fitzerfly and where the crew might have gone if it wasn't for those stigwhurts at the network... um, anyway! You also meet all sorts of people, from miners to mining supervisors to mining surveyors and sometimes first-class miners. I've even learned how to flush a foodstuff extruder, which I'm told isn't that far from an oscillating granulate separator. This place is just a stepping stone is a long journey of success for me, but I don't want to rush anything. It's a dangerous world out there, especially now. I'm sure with your leadership, we can all soon enjoy the leisure of peace, of which the utmost is free televids for all.

Baphrdray Dane
Assistant Manager, Nutrient Haus

P.S. My mother said I forgot to make a suggestion again. I think you should send the Serenity to gather recon on Rimble. What I'm thinking is that intel on some rough customers will rub off on her crew, and they'll be much more of an inspiration for our great planet as they grow more like the original crew of the Fitzerfly (She also was upset because I said she was nagging me. I mean, I know it's just because she worries, but galaxy! I'm a grown man and I can do what I want, MOM.)

Translation: Send recon ships to Rimble.

I will recon Rimble soon. When the Syndicate is destroyed the show will live again.

Monthly Report

7/1/96

Our income for the new month:

The governor called:

...cutting back their budget a bit.

Is this supposed to be a bad thing?

I just got a report that the recon mission planet L, despite saying they accomplished nothing has in fact gotten me the comcode of their leader.

Name: Yy'rlr'lw'j'
Role: Battle Chief
Planet: L'll'y'yy'rww
Stats: Prideful, Honorable, Heartless
Bio: He has slain the most enemies in combat, and thus the title of battle chief is his. He is a vicious fighter, but always fights fairly and if beaten will honor his superior. Otherwise he is hostile and will fight before talking.

Some kind of a cross between a furry and a Kilrathi? Planet L is now definitely getting attacked. He is not taking my calls. Have an agent working up a dossier now.

I will build the flagship as soon as I can free up 25 staff to fly it.

7/12/96

The U-Boat has returned. Sending it and an agent to insurge Huygen again.

7/13/96

Poll came in. Up a percentage point back to 97% approval. I am almost as popular as a third-world dictator.

7/14/96

Our electrical project is done:

Name: Nonconductive Hull Coating
Cost: $1,500
Manufacturer: Harmony
Type: Electrical
Description: A thin highly resistive coating of a special rubber alloy repels most electrical attacks and won't clog your sensors.

Nice, then Katrina from Tool called:

Name: Gas Cloud Bomb Launcher
Cost: $7,500
Range: 300
Manufacturer: Tool
Type: Thermal

Neat, but we tend to make our own weapons now.

I was starting to wonder if Tool was going to research anything this game.

7/15/96

Got a dossier report on the leader of Tarso, the actual government working with the android Kahuna.

Name: Rino Velle
Role: President
Stats: Slow, Naive, Honest
Bio: President Velle is an enigma. She does not appear to possess the intelligence and social skills to function in everyday life, let alone the position of power she holds. Dealing with her is difficult, as she is child-like and flighty. Some hold this is a facade she uses to unnerve her political enemies.
Update: Velle is a heavy drug user. She was hooked by her cabinet, who were in turn bribed by the Gybesh Commune. While she herself hasn't the mind to care one way or another about this being public knowledge, the Gybesh Commune will try and keep the knowledge secret.

Interesting.

I was going to extort but her name is not on the list of people I can. Not sure why. Maybe a bug or maybe since we already extorted Gybesh no further attempts are allowed?

7/16/96

The Silent Running has returned. Sending them with an agent to recon Rimble.

7/17/96

Ran dossier on head of Azure Dawn, no dirt found.

7/21/96

I got a call from Mr. Fredericks in SIN:

...headquarters. We currently have him in holding, and will subsequently question him. Any pertinent information will be reported as soon as possible.

Looks like we finally caught one of the scum instead of having our mines and research labs sabotaged.

Huh, looks like electroshock......

...oh, uhhh...... :stare:

I'm glad Mr. Fredericks is on our side.\

7/22/96

Serenity returns home and I send her back out with an agent to recon Tool.

7/25/96

Insurgency mission to Huygen is a success. Most of the people support us....for all the good that seems to be doing us.

7/31/96

My dossier on the furry warlord got nothing. Their society is so arcane it doesn't make sense.

Well, I have missions enroute to Rimble and Tool. The battle fleet is at home. At the moment I have 13 staff available for reassignment (all currently working at SIN).

I am toying with cutting research project staff down to 10 each instead of 15. Thoughts? Or cull some of the General products? Or both? I want to crew this Dragon but I also want SIN to have some staff. I suspect part of the reason those earlier sabotage missions go through was their lack of staff.

Any other missions? Try to insurge Zaphroxi again maybe? Thoughts?

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 6, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
We must defeat the weird aliens and claim the title of battle chief as our own.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Boss,

Better the flagship than any other. Can you shift across the crew of a lighter ship to get it moving, then repopulate that one as and when?

Apropos of nothing, us lot on the Fitzgerald are the most experienced guys under your command, time of service-wise. If you catch my drift.

Fitzgerald.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

Boss,

Better the flagship than any other. Can you shift across the crew of a lighter ship to get it moving, then repopulate that one as and when?

Apropos of nothing, us lot on the Fitzgerald are the most experienced guys under your command, time of service-wise. If you catch my drift.

Fitzgerald.

I haven't found a way to shift crew off of a ship without scrapping the ship.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Boss,

Aight. I'd be sad to see the old bird put out to pasture. Still, up to you if you think it for the best.

Fitzgerald.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

We must defeat the weird aliens and claim the title of battle chief as our own.

This. We must find out if they know something about that giant floating computer eye! And if they know something, we must smack it out of them!

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
Are there any other ways to increase staff? And does the number of staff increase on it's own?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Thanatz posted:

Are there any other ways to increase staff? And does the number of staff increase on it's own?

The only way to increase staff is through special events. I remember vaguely as a teenager getting staff as a reward for a mission. We also got some from the Soraya Nebula when the ship came with crew. When we saved Pihzda I thought they might send staff. They did not.

Cutting all research projects down to 15 members each and cutting maybe one General research project will eventually net us 65 staff (of which we have gotten 10 so far). We just have to wait for them to cycle through.

AJ_Impy posted:

Boss,

Aight. I'd be sad to see the old bird put out to pasture. Still, up to you if you think it for the best.

Fitzgerald.

I am not ready to scrap a good ship yet.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Overlord,

I feel as the head of HR I can offer a suggestion to keep us moving forward with our research goals as efficiently as possible. My own lack of staff means that I'm just ballparking some of these numbers, but I'm sure adjustments can be made as necessary.

After the next batch of research finishes, our research should look something like this:

General = 15
Organic = 15
Nuclear = 15
Missile = 15
Magnetic = 15
Electrical = 15
Thermal = 15
Laser = 15
Total = 120

I propose creating three new categories to slot research into: General Purpose, Natural Forces, Weapons. General Purpose would contain the General and Organic headings. Natural Forces would contain the Nuclear, Magnetic and Thermal headings. Finally Weapons would contain the Missile, Electrical and Laser headings.

The way the new system would work is to take the entire staff of a category into one project that cycles between the headings every time it completes. That way we can cut staff from certain areas we want to de-emphasize, as well as reduce the overall size of our research staff.

Under my proposal the first round of new projects would look something like this:

General Purpose = 15
General/Organic
Natural Forces = 40
Nuclear/Magnetic/Thermal
Weapons = 40
Missile/Electrical/Laser
Total = 95

The Nuclear and Missile projects will obviously finish first, allowing all forty people on each staff to move to the next project under their category. Magnetic and Electrical respectively. Meaning research now looks like this:

General Purpose = 15
General/Organic
Natural Forces = 40
Nuclear/Magnetic/Thermal
Weapons = 40
Missile/Electrical/Laser

Then when the General project finishes the staff for General Purpose moves to the next project under their heading: Organic. A few days(weeks?) later Magnetic and Electrical complete, leaving research like this:

General Purpose = 15
General/Organic
Natural Forces = 40
Nuclear/Magnetic/Thermal
Weapons = 40
Missile/Electrical/Laser

When any of these projects complete, the staff should then rotate around to the first research category under their heading. Conducting research this way would hopefully mean small advances more frequently, instead of the broad yet meandering pace we currently use. Not to mention allow us to refocus our research goals with less effort.

Head of Human Resources
Pamela Poovey

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

linall posted:

Overlord,

I feel as the head of HR I can offer a suggestion to keep us moving forward with our research goals as efficiently as possible. My own lack of staff means that I'm just ballparking some of these numbers, but I'm sure adjustments can be made as necessary.

After the next batch of research finishes, our research should look something like this:

General = 15
Organic = 15
Nuclear = 15
Missile = 15
Magnetic = 15
Electrical = 15
Thermal = 15
Laser = 15
Total = 120

I propose creating three new categories to slot research into: General Purpose, Natural Forces, Weapons. General Purpose would contain the General and Organic headings. Natural Forces would contain the Nuclear, Magnetic and Thermal headings. Finally Weapons would contain the Missile, Electrical and Laser headings.

The way the new system would work is to take the entire staff of a category into one project that cycles between the headings every time it completes. That way we can cut staff from certain areas we want to de-emphasize, as well as reduce the overall size of our research staff.

Under my proposal the first round of new projects would look something like this:

General Purpose = 15
General/Organic
Natural Forces = 40
Nuclear/Magnetic/Thermal
Weapons = 40
Missile/Electrical/Laser
Total = 95

The Nuclear and Missile projects will obviously finish first, allowing all forty people on each staff to move to the next project under their category. Magnetic and Electrical respectively. Meaning research now looks like this:

General Purpose = 15
General/Organic
Natural Forces = 40
Nuclear/Magnetic/Thermal
Weapons = 40
Missile/Electrical/Laser

Then when the General project finishes the staff for General Purpose moves to the next project under their heading: Organic. A few days(weeks?) later Magnetic and Electrical complete, leaving research like this:

General Purpose = 15
General/Organic
Natural Forces = 40
Nuclear/Magnetic/Thermal
Weapons = 40
Missile/Electrical/Laser

When any of these projects complete, the staff should then rotate around to the first research category under their heading. Conducting research this way would hopefully mean small advances more frequently, instead of the broad yet meandering pace we currently use. Not to mention allow us to refocus our research goals with less effort.

Head of Human Resources
Pamela Poovey

I appreciate the thought that went into this but there is a problem. My research heads refuse to take on more then 20 staff per project. They say that with too many people involved to babysit they won't be able to keep the nitwits from breaking things.

They cap out research teams at 20.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Xenocides posted:

I appreciate the thought that went into this but there is a problem. My research heads refuse to take on more then 20 staff per project. They say that with too many people involved to babysit they won't be able to keep the nitwits from breaking things.

They cap out research teams at 20.

Easy fix, split the 40 you throw at each of our major headings into two teams. Each one can have two projects running at all times, slotting the odd one out in the next round. Meaning research looks like this:

General Purpose = 15
General/Organic
Natural Forces = 40
Nuclear(A)/Magnetic(B)/Thermal
Weapons = 40
Missile(A)/Electrical(B)/Laser

and then:

General Purpose = 15
General/Organic
Natural Forces = 40
Nuclear/Magnetic(A)/Thermal(B)
Weapons = 40
Missile/Electrical(A)/Laser(B)

And so on.

linall fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 7, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Boss,

Glad to hear it. Guess we're back to a waiting game, can't argue.

Fitzgerald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Somewhat off-character (Rev. A.E. Hilated, Enlightened One, First One To Be Eaten etc, is on vacation possibly meditating under a slimefall or looking for a sufficiently gruesome fruit basket) but I'd like to mention that this thread actually got me to watch Fitzrefly which has been hanging on my hard drive for a year for the first time. Enjoyed it greatly. So yeah, cultural education by LP.

Anyhow, we should hit the aliens, doesn't seem we can talk to them and the concept of honor clearly has no place in our galaxy. The congregation will support whatever research leads to the most gruesome weapons. And we're all for trying out the double insurrection, that seems a good thing to know.

• Locked thread