Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jeesis posted:

Bash it with an axe. Would be interesting to setup multiple temp shelters or even full ones. Cannot recall if they show up with floating icons. Would most likely lose them.

All your good shelters keep the floating home icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah, dunno, bashing stuff with an axe doesn't seem to work for me. Also, is the bow glitched like crazy or is it just me? I can't seem to hit anything with it and sometimes, my arrows just stop in midair.

I managed to survive for 18 days before I got taken down by four that managed to get past my traps and weren't intimidated by my effigies. (Admittedly I may have provoked them by setting up standing fires and effigies near their village.) I woke up in a cave and then got killed when I couldn't sneak past two of the spider zombies.

Really liking the mechanics in this game. With some polishing, this will really be awesome, and I'm impressed with the quality thus far.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

suboptimal posted:

Yeah, dunno, bashing stuff with an axe doesn't seem to work for me. Also, is the bow glitched like crazy or is it just me? I can't seem to hit anything with it and sometimes, my arrows just stop in midair.

I managed to survive for 18 days before I got taken down by four that managed to get past my traps and weren't intimidated by my effigies. (Admittedly I may have provoked them by setting up standing fires and effigies near their village.) I woke up in a cave and then got killed when I couldn't sneak past two of the spider zombies.

Really liking the mechanics in this game. With some polishing, this will really be awesome, and I'm impressed with the quality thus far.

I have managed to hit something with the bow a whopping 3 times. Every other time the arrow has stopped in midair, the best is when it stops right where it leaves the bow.

You can only knock down the "custom building" pieces with an axe, everything else is permanent.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

New patch out. Haven't had a chance to try out these new features yet, but some of these look pretty great- looking forward to building a treehouse fortress!

quote:

Version 0.07 Changelog:

Rock holder blueprint added
Moveable log holder blueprint added
Mid sized cabin blueprint added
Tree house blueprint added
Working door added to custom build doorway
Male version of skinny mutant added
New animal added: Tortoise
New animal added: Racoons!
Animal numbers will go down over time if you kill a lot of them. Will eventually slowly repopulate
Different animal types now stay around specific parts of world
Weapon balancing, all weapons will be slower when holding an item in left hand (Lighter, walkman etc) faster when held with both hands. New slower axe anim in combat.
More accurate weapon collider sizes, small axe smaller, stick bigger etc
You can now catch rabbits and place them into the rabbit cage
Better previous weapon switching system
Improved blueprint placement, items will now turn red and be unplaceable if intersecting trees
New rock attack animation, more powerful, uses more stamina
Cave’s now only contain blue skinned enemies and distorted mutants
Better combat theme
Better lake theme
Fixed peaceful mode (was accidentally broken in last update)
Further improved enemy pacing over time, fixed bug that could cause enemies to vanish over time
Energy now replenishes faster when sitting on bench
More small props added
Switching weapons whilst holding molotov will no longer cause it to drop
Sound effects added for adding sticks/logs and rocks to storage
Whoosh sound added when items moved around inventory
Fixed molotov pieces bouncing around causing fire to move in strange ways
Fire now scales with amount of fuel
Plants now burn for longer
Trees will tumble over if burnt now and added new burning material with embers
Tree leaves will now burn away correctly when on fire
Energy bar now flashes when playing music to make clear that your stamina is getting a boost
Crafting info pages unlocked in survival book (rough, missing lots of items)
Fixed bug where you could get infinite flares by dropping flare gun and picking it up again
Fixed bug where day count could change when entering/exiting caves
Fixed yellow axe mesh not visible when equipped
Terrain texture and shape improvements
Fires can now cook an unlimited amount of items, food will be placed at random location on fire
Fixed bug where you could sometimes get infinite sticks/rocks in inventory
Arrows should now work more effectively against enemies
Visible lizard skin armour!

Edit: the patch may have broken my save, so be careful

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 17, 2014

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

suboptimal posted:

Switching weapons whilst holding molotov will no longer cause it to drop

I am really happy for this. Time to boot up the game again.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

gonna hop on tonight and see if I can burn down the forest

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

quote:

- First pass at infinite weapon upgrading! use collected items to upgrade your weapons. Use teeth, feathers and glass shards to improve weapon speed and damage.

- First pass at Cloth/fire upgrading system added - add cloth to your weapons and set them alight

- Stealth gameplay! Lowered vision range on enemies and gave them a smaller cone of vision.

- Bushes will now hide player from enemy vision when crouched!

- Player now less visible to enemies at night - unless lighter is out, making him more visible.

- Covered in Mud will now correctly conceal player making him harder to spot by enemies.

- Lowered range that enemies can hear player when walking/running

- Stealth kills added! If player attacks an enemy from behind with rock or axe type weapon and enemy is unaware of player it will be an instant kill

- Enemies will bash away bushes looking for player when hidden from them

- New cave explorer model added to cave (hanging)

- New cave explorer model added (crushed)

- Better death theme (less grating)

- High detailed plane doors added

- Better looking log held model

- Improved building memory usage

- Improved HUD memory usage

- Heads can now be cooked on fires to create skulls

- New pick up item added: Skull

- New craftable item : Club (skull plus stick)

- You can now pick up and use enemy clubs

- Picking up items in quick succession will now display a number for how many were collected

- All collected items now have message appear

- Improved previous weapon switching system to be more reliable

- New buildable item: Chalet Style Treehouse

- New buildable item: Meat drying rack

- New buildable item: Bonfire

- New buildable item: WalkWay

- New buildable item: Small animal trap!!

- New buildable item: Gazebo

- New buildable item: Defensive spike barrier

- New art for body stumps (decapitated head, leg, arms)

- Cannibals eating dead bodies now takes longer

- Chicory and coneflower plants are now collectable

- New Craftable item: Energy mix (chicory plus coneflower)

- Eating Coneflower will restore a small amount of health

- Eating Chicory will restore a small amount of energy

- Raccoon group behaviours added

- New raccoon animations added, walk, trot, improved idling, overall raccoon animation speed increased

- New craftable item: Headbomb (head plus bomb)

- Fixed door on medium cabin

- New animal added: Deer! Deer will turn towards approaching player, eat grass, run away from player and more

- New crafted axe model

- Crafted axe now requires rope to build (Rock,Stick, Rope)

- Improved motion blur quality,stability and memory usage

- Fur! Raccoons and rabbits now have fur shading

- Improved look of lizard armour

- Improved bird reactions to player, should fly away when you approach

- Increased fog ranges

- Reduced clipping of player arm in body when looking down at self

- Removed deeper cave dead positions. Waking up in cave will now always be reasonably close to surface

- New detailed rope model added, along with new curled rope pick up prefab

- Tweaked pacing of daytime enemies

- Less blue enemies in upper parts of caves

- New lizard skin inventory model (replacing scaled lizard mesh)

- New inventory item : Tree sap! can be collected from trees, can be used in weapon upgrading/crafting

- New tooth model and texture

- Improved pickup system. Will now pick up closest item you are looking at

- Increased chance of meds and torches in suitcases, lowered chance of tennis balls.

- Improved look of alpha selected items in inventory(feather, herbs)

- Torch now displays amount of charge left in inventory tooltip

- Inventory herb models replaced with more realistic versions

- Fixed issue where weapons would swing a second time if you clicked again during early part of swing

- Randomized size of animals

- Cave lakes, collision,lighting and layout improvements

- Added more randomness to plane crash possible locations

- Flashlight no longer auto equips on pick up, needs to be manually selected from inventory
- You can no longer pick up rabbits, you need to catch them in trap first

:haw:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Wow, time to reinstall I think. Looking forward to dying horribly while trying to build a "Treehouse Chalet"

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

circ dick soleil posted:

It seems like he only does multiplayer games though. The Forest desperately needs multiplayer.
Yeah. I'd play this again if they added coop-mode. That would be awesome.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
This game is on sale this weekend and it looks like an excellent game to be playing for Halloween! Is it pretty scary or does the alpha state kinda lack atmosphere?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I'm not a big horror fan, but this is really fun. There is well more than enough "oh poo poo" moments to keep you going. That said, if you want something more terrifying rather than surprising, this wouldn't be the game. It's more survival horror than horror-proper

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

I'm actually a pretty big pussy when it comes to horror games so I'm looking for something that's just average scary... Something a bit scarier than Minecraft I suppose?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Petah posted:

I'm actually a pretty big pussy when it comes to horror games so I'm looking for something that's just average scary... Something a bit scarier than Minecraft I suppose?

I'd say the enemies alone are definitely creepier than Minecraft.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Minecraft doesn't have procedural breasts (you need a mod for that).

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Hmm the game still feels very incomplete and I'm not sure if it has much of an atmoshpere yet. Enemies seems to be able to pop up anywhere but they seem like they're blind to me half the time and mostly stand-offish the rest of the time. I'm having difficulty finding a place to camp that isn't 50 yards away from a cannibal camp but so far they are just too inept to be really scary. The lighting obviously still needs a lot of work and night time is not nearly dark enough...

Overall this game shows a lot of promise but I guess I was hoping for a bit too much from an alpha. It's kinda hard to be scared of the enemies when you can get away from them by jumping over a 1 foot ledge...

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

quote:

v0.08d
7 November - Dishmink

Hey Everyone,

Here’s a small patch 0.08d containing mostly bug fixes (Including finally a fix to distant shadow distortions!)

Our bigger patch 0.09 has been pushed back to this coming Monday whilst we sort out the last remaining co-op multiplayer issues!

:D

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Oh man, I might need to grab this now. 7 Days to Die is getting a lot better but the Forest is just so polished comparatively. Having an endgoal also helps.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So...maybe I'm not seeing it anywhere but the survival book recommended this hunter shelter thing and I realized I didnt have enough logs, so I tried to make the leaf one. But I dont have the materials because I dumped them into the other one. Can you break down partial construction somehow? My axe doesn't seem to do much and I can't really swim back from my island since I'm all hosed up from the crash and escape from mutants.

Or maybe the weird rods in the beach mean they hang out and I shouldn't have gone this way, but hey.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Synnr posted:

So...maybe I'm not seeing it anywhere but the survival book recommended this hunter shelter thing and I realized I didnt have enough logs, so I tried to make the leaf one. But I dont have the materials because I dumped them into the other one. Can you break down partial construction somehow? My axe doesn't seem to do much and I can't really swim back from my island since I'm all hosed up from the crash and escape from mutants.

Or maybe the weird rods in the beach mean they hang out and I shouldn't have gone this way, but hey.

People were talking about deconstructing buildings at the top of this page.

Yeah I don't know what the hell those poles are about but they do seem to attract cannibals at certain times of day? I really don't get the whole territory thing because the camps seem to usually be empty, but I can find the cannibals just about every where else at certain times of day... I can't find any good places to set up camp because there's always a camp or tribal poles nearby, or else there are no logs.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Petah posted:

People were talking about deconstructing buildings at the top of this page.

Yeah I don't know what the hell those poles are about but they do seem to attract cannibals at certain times of day? I really don't get the whole territory thing because the camps seem to usually be empty, but I can find the cannibals just about every where else at certain times of day... I can't find any good places to set up camp because there's always a camp or tribal poles nearby, or else there are no logs.

Yeah they were talking about bashing down structures (which doesn't seem to work, or at least I see no visible changes), but I meant these partial structures I had. Basically rip them apart so I can use the materials from them without having to FINISH them first.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Oh that's exactly what I wanted.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Has anybody had a chance to fiddle around with the co-op multiplayer business yet?

Madame Ovary
Jul 22, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Has anybody had a chance to fiddle around with the co-op multiplayer business yet?

I tried this last night. It's pretty stable unless you happen to drop out or load your game, which then causes you to spawn at a random point without any items and without being able to use any menus or devices.

There's also a very annoying bug that gives you a black screen when you do random things. It changes from game to game. One time it was eating a snack. Another time it was killing a raccoon with a stick.

If somehow the black screen and the load/reconnection issues are fixed in the next update which the main menu assures me is coming in 10 days, it should be alright to play with your friends.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Thinking of buying this just to play with a friend in coop mode. How's the new update been?

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Still itching to get this myself, but have thus far stuck to my refusal to buy another early-access game. Would love to hear from goons as to whether or not the new multiplayer make it still more irresistable.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Tried co-op for about 20 minutes, and despite each of us entering IPs and ports we still couldn't connect. So I tried out solo.

I walked out of the starter area, wandered into the woods about 2 minutes and got my face punched in by four blue-looking dudes. I woke up in a cave being watched by a blue dude who punched me in the face the second I moved, and I died & got a game over.

The second time I feel like I walked halfway across the map and every blue dude I saw ran away from me. Until one didn't and I died and went back to the beginning.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's decent looking.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Ninja fetus posted:

Thinking of buying this just to play with a friend in coop mode. How's the new update been?

The Snark posted:

Still itching to get this myself, but have thus far stuck to my refusal to buy another early-access game. Would love to hear from goons as to whether or not the new multiplayer make it still more irresistable.

I legit could not get it to work with my brother. Maybe over the holidays we can try it on the same network, but I dunno. If the multiplayer is working for you fantastic!

I'd give it some more time overall, though it has come along decently from what I recall of the early release stuff.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I haven't bought it yet, and these details are aiding my resolve. This is ultimately a good thing as I would prefer to buy it when there is some agreement that it has come together- better still if it is properly released.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Last time I was playing I was chopping down a tree and something ran past me really close by that was just a blur on my screen. I had already been mistaking bushes for people for the last 10 minutes and when that happened I went "Nope, nope nope nope nope nope" and closed the game.

I am a big scardy cat :(

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Treehouses are the best. I built one and eventually had a small scale tribal war going on outside between cannibals whilst two others ran in circles around the base of my tree.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
So from my understanding there are two different tribes of cannibals. One tribe is more sophisticated than the other and they actually fight each other.

I've found a place near the edge of the playable world where the cannibals don't go and have built myself a pretty nice fort. During the day I gather food, farm poo poo from suitcases and murder cannibals. At night I build in the relative safety of my fort. One night I decided to go out and look for cannibals and found 2 of them walking around one of the rival tribe's camps. They had a flashlight which was really freaky. I snuck up on them and beat them to death.

Morning came and I saw a couple of their scouts closer to my fort putting up effigies. I waited for them to leave and destroyed then walked over and destroyed the effigies. It's interesting AI to say the least. It seems if you build to close to their camps they take that as a sign of aggression.

I'm wondering if tribes are peaceful if you only attack the rival tribe and stay away from their camps. Or if the AI is even that sophisticated yet.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
So does combat actually work in this game now? I picked it up on the Alpha release back in May, but gave up after a couple days of trying in vain to kill or even visibly injure cannibals by striking them dozens of times in the face with an axe or a craft-able hammer. The only way I could find to actually kill one was with the flare gun, which I only found in the cave you're taken to upon being knocked out that I could never get out of because the walls wouldn't load.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
HAHAHA

I was like..wtf I don't remember posting that poo poo?

Been so long since I've watched any UFC/posted in those threads, that I forgot there were a few of us :)

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Spent the last few evenings playing this, and I'm really impressed. Haven't made it past two days though without constantly being on the move; every time I start to build a fort, by the second night of doing it I always end up being found by two scouting parties and have to run for it or eventually die fighting them off. Still the cannibal AI is freaky and I love how they don't always attack, and are sometimes just trying to bluff you.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
I've seen a couple places, I think even on the official wiki, that the number of cannibals is finite and that you can actually clear the island. Is this true? Because I've got a small compound with a couple of tree platforms, and every night I kill easily more than 15 cannibals but never notice a lessening in their numbers. I still run into them everywhere, and every night there's another horde lined up ready to die.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Watommi posted:

I've seen a couple places, I think even on the official wiki, that the number of cannibals is finite and that you can actually clear the island. Is this true? Because I've got a small compound with a couple of tree platforms, and every night I kill easily more than 15 cannibals but never notice a lessening in their numbers. I still run into them everywhere, and every night there's another horde lined up ready to die.

This, and also I thought I heard there was a peaceful mode with no cannibals? Is it just not in yet?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This, and also I thought I heard there was a peaceful mode with no cannibals? Is it just not in yet?

No cannibals mode is simply typing in "veganmode" without the quotes while at the main menu screen - you'll know it works when the graphics of the decapitated heads is replaced by plants.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So yeah, game still looks pretty and I like the new mechanics, but it's still pretty hilarious when poo poo like this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0eftESmak4

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I started playing this again after a long break and found that the fuckin' spawn rate for cannibals has gotten insane. I couldn't get even a fire built without getting hosed up by like 20 cannibals. I'll be taking another break until poo poo gets just a bit more polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Untrustable posted:

I started playing this again after a long break and found that the fuckin' spawn rate for cannibals has gotten insane. I couldn't get even a fire built without getting hosed up by like 20 cannibals. I'll be taking another break until poo poo gets just a bit more polished.
Same. Stopped playing for now. Too many cannibals is not fun.

• Locked thread