Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

quote:

The last Texas governor to face criminal charges was James E. “Pa” Ferguson, who was indicted in 1917 by a Travis County grand jury on embezzlement and eight other charges. His case also involved a veto that stirred anger: Mr. Ferguson vetoed the entire appropriation to the University of Texas because it had refused to fire certain faculty members. The state Senate voted to impeach him, but he resigned first.

Then his wife was elected governor several times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_A._Ferguson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

comes along bort posted:

if that was the case texas would be executing texans left and right

thought that was one of perry's proudest achievements

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

SaltLick posted:

i'm throwing away my vote for Wendy Davis

I don't have a lot of hope, but she's the best chance the Dems have had since Ann Richards left office. She has national visibility, and she energizes youth and women voters.

We can only cross our fingers and hope Abbott says something stupid about immigration.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Frackie Robinson posted:

Then his wife was elected governor several times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_A._Ferguson

I remember her. She was the one who refused to be present at the last public hanging held in the US. In the Great State of Texas.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Clitch posted:

I don't have a lot of hope, but she's the best chance the Dems have had since Ann Richards left office. She has national visibility, and she energizes youth and women voters.

We can only cross our fingers and hope Abbott says something stupid about immigration.

Counter intuitive as it may seem, I think her national visibility might actually hurt more than it helps because it's going to have the Republican base a bit more motivated than it would be otherwise.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Is the rumor that Perry is a closet case just a goofy liberal Internet thing or is that something Texans are actually aware of?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kelfeftaf posted:

Is the rumor that Perry is a closet case just a goofy liberal Internet thing or is that something Texans are actually aware of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLi83CSaNBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCyTQEANlmM&t=68s

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Plz bash his brains in with an Ibanez JEM. Not kidding.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Clitch posted:

Ann RIchards owned

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kelfeftaf posted:

only steers and queers and perry ain't got no horns

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Dr. Faustus posted:

lol if you think perry wanted her to resign because she got a dui.

he wanted her gone because she was a dem in charge of corruption investigations.

it is an illegal act to abuse your gubernatorial power to withhold budgeted funds for her department regardless of what he thought of her. precendent exists in TX for this.

lmao you can tell this guy is a real d&d level shitlib, because he doesn't know that Perry threatened to veto the budget item for the "public integrity unit" because the head of that "public integrity unit" got a DUI and flipped out, too, lol, so kill yourself

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kelfeftaf posted:

He wears a Brokeback mountain jacket while talking about scary scary homos. Total closet

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gently caress the ROW posted:

lmao you can tell this guy is a real d&d level shitlib, because he doesn't know that Perry threatened to veto the budget item for the "public integrity unit" because the head of that "public integrity unit" got a DUI and flipped out, too, lol, so kill yourself
lmao because this bitch can't loving read
lmao you can tell this idiot lacks any form of perspective because our politicians are constantly pulling poo poo way worse than anything you could accuse her of and they don't even apologize, much less resign
lmao at this twat because the indictments were handed down by a grand jury so they're convinced he broke the law and deserves to be tried for it...

get cucked by Dick Perry you braindead bitch-box

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

He wears a Brokeback mountain jacket while talking about scary scary homos. Total closet

liberals should capture him and then set him free in the castro district

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Dr. Faustus posted:

lmao because this bitch can't loving read
lmao you can tell this idiot lacks any form of perspective because our politicians are constantly pulling poo poo way worse than anything you could accuse her of and they don't even apologize, much less resign
lmao at this twat because the indictments were handed down by a grand jury so they're convinced he broke the law and deserves to be tried for it...

get cucked by Dick Perry you braindead bitch-box

Thank you for this bucket of tears & I'm glad you ahve so little connection to reality that you can cry post about reraplicoids in two different forums at the same time. Sorry for the doxx now kill yourself :D

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
cool itll be really just and right when he spends like 3 weeks in rich white people jail. he can catch up on his golf swing and get a sweet rear end tan

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
ur a dumb rear end bitch if u think theres anything like justice in the world

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
soemtimes I wonder if ppl even know rick perry was a democrat in the 80s... and relatively competent governor who, sure, might be a little gay

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Like if he shrieked when he shot that coyote... that'd certainly mean he was gay

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
y'all this goon disparaged my connection to reality thank gawd for my fainting couch

See ya when The Smoking Gun posts the mugshots I hope he's smiling just like he did when he got his mind-blowing maple syrup!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Let's not forget this is the guy who decided to shuffle an investigative panel, and appoint more of his cronies, right before they reported on a man he sent to lethal injection...whom the nationally recognized expert arson investigator believed to be innocent.

The report was soon after tabled for reasons .

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

gently caress the ROW posted:

soemtimes I wonder if ppl even know rick perry was a democrat in the 80s... and relatively competent governor who, sure, might be a little gay

yea but u gotta admit that nigga dumb as gently caress and he talks like a nancy

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
like why republicans decide its a positive pr move to fake like ur dumber than a sack of poo poo so u seem "homesy" or w/e. these b*tches biting my steez

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ilikedirt posted:

like why republicans decide its a positive pr move to fake like ur dumber than a sack of poo poo so u seem "homesy" or w/e. these b*tches biting my steez
"Saddamn Hussein has Noo-kyew-lurr weapons!"

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
If you haven't read Taibbi's piece on Perry you need to do that

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/rick-perry-the-best-little-whore-in-texas-20111026

motherfucker is guilty guilty guilty

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

ilikedirt posted:

cool itll be really just and right when he spends like 3 weeks in rich white people jail. he can catch up on his golf swing and get a sweet rear end tan

It's two felonies, a first degree and a third, added together sentencing ranges from 5 to 109 years if convicted.

Kelfeftaf posted:

It's an unconfirmed rumor from DPS Troopers who protect the governor that when Anita goes out of town he has male overnight visitors and Larry Flynt took out full page articles asking people to come forward if they banged Gov. Goodhair.

But yeah to answer your question.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

he named it after his favorite thing to recieve at truck stops

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zen Punk posted:

If you haven't read Taibbi's piece on Perry you need to do that

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/rick-perry-the-best-little-whore-in-texas-20111026

motherfucker is guilty guilty guilty

lolling at seeing Obama cronies like Axelrod defending Rick Perry.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm imagining dozens of chubby white pieces of poo poo sheathing their katanas, as the demon rick perry is finally defeated

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

ilikedirt posted:

lol

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ilikedirt posted:

he had to change the name slightly since "polishing the bowling ball" wouldn't fit on the sign

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
does he still wear those doofy looking glasses?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Didn't he cut funding for the fire dept during a wildfire and replace it with prayer for less fire? Rick perry? Same guy?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Didn't he cut funding for the fire dept during a wildfire and replace it with prayer for less fire? Rick perry? Same guy?

he is a bad governor

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Philthy posted:

does he still wear those doofy looking glasses?

being bush 2.0 didnt work last election because he somehow appeared leagues dumber than even bush so he figured some hipster glasses toning down the accent and getting rid of the boots would make everyone forget

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

etalian posted:

It's also a jury indicted meaning the evidence had to be compelling enough to get enough votes to proceed to the next legal stage.

actually it dosnt mean anything. prosecutors could get a grand jury to indictma ham sandwich their powers have been curtailed to the point that its a formality.

perry is a corrupt shithead but that democrat lady violated the law and the governor has the right tto remove her for being convicted of a dui as well as vetoing budgets for any dept.

this isnt going to go anywhere

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

not only that, he then asked for federal aid cause it turned out the wildfires couldn't be prayed away

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ One of my favorite Perry gently caress-ups ^^

Kombotron posted:

perry is a corrupt shithead but that democrat lady violated the law and the governor has the right tto remove her for being convicted of a dui as well as vetoing budgets for any dept.

this isnt going to go anywhere

It may not go anywhere, that's true; but at least two of your premises are demonstrably false:

First, a governor definitely has the right to veto funding to an agency; but is definitely prohibited from using that power to coerce another government official or to use as a threat, or to misuse funds.
Republicans in TX have been trying to defund this little blue area of Texas government for decades already, I guess Perry thought he finally had the justification TX Republicans have been so desperate to find. It's backfiring.
There is legal precedent for this action against him in TX, and unfortunately for him, Perry has openly admitted what he has done and why in the press already. He can't walk that back now, it's public record.

Second, you are also wrong that he "has the right to remove her" for that drunk-driving crime.
He does not have that power, as hers is an elected position; not an appointed one. He has no power to remove her, which should seem obvious enough considering if he'd had such a right, he'd not need to threaten or coerce her the way he admits he has. He'd have just demanded her resignation and she'd be required to tender it.

"Coercion of a public servant and abuse of his official capacity in connection with the threat and veto" are felonies, and that is what the indictment alleges.

So, while indicted for something he freely has admitted he has done, is he stepping down? Is he resigning?
Can he perform his duties as governor while defending himself from this case (selfishly and abnormally using TX taxpayers' money instead of his own?) Should he step down? Why or why not?

I still agree it may come to nothing in the end, but I don't imagine it will help his Presidential bid (except with the GOP base that rallies behind any GOPer who they deem to be unfairly attacked, in the same way they have somewhat allowed Christie back into the fold due to the investigations against him.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dr. Faustus posted:

lol if you think perry wanted her to resign because she got a dui.

he wanted her gone because she was a dem in charge of corruption investigations.

actually he didn't really want her to resign at all, he wanted the excuse to close down the entire anti corruption office pretty sure.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Republicans in TX have been trying to defund this little blue area of Texas government for decades already, I guess Perry thought he finally had the justification TX Republicans have been so desperate to find. It's backfiring.

e;f,b

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 17, 2014

• Locked thread