Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

It is a particle or particle like object that comes spontaneously into existence when mass passes through a something something field.

It was once a mathematical concept that said "let's treat gravity as if it is a force conveyed as though a particle is fired across space, like a tiny ping pong ball."

A guy named Higg predicted that this ping pong ball actually exists and that we'd see one some day just like we have seen other tiny sub-subatomic particles like quarks.

The guys running the giant particle collider crashed some stuff together to blast it apart and actually found and recorded a higg's boson particle exactly as he predicted like last year.

It's gravity is what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Gravity is a force pushing mass from areas of high space time density to areas of low space time density. That's way planets and stars have gravity wells, wells go low in the ground.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zev posted:

Gravity is a force pushing mass from areas of high space time density to areas of low space time density. That's way planets and stars have gravity wells, wells go low in the ground.

gravity is an apparent force

space time does not have a density, it has curvature

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
youre big fat mom has lots of gravitons bc she likes gravy tons

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
i got a chem degree so like i get how poo poo interacts but i wont even delve into WHY it does whatever it does

poo poo cray science dope

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
*bows*

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
like i get space time abstractly but what IS that poo poo you feel me

gently caress

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
OP if you're looking for an internet investigation, you best head off to reddit instead
i heard they figured out who the boston bombers were!
turned out they were brown people with foreign sounding names

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

like i get space time abstractly but what IS that poo poo you feel me

gently caress

imagine three spheres

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

ilikedirt posted:

imagine three spheres

get ur nerd rear end outta here that dont make any sense

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

redshirt posted:

Well, friend, consider it from a spatial, geometry perspective. We sit in Earth's gravity well, which sits in the Sun's, which sits in the central black hole's, which sits in the shared orbit of Andromeda, etc.

We're on top of a large hill, but the abyss goes down forever...

You have the perspective the wrong way around. Solar systems are at the bottom of reality. The highest "hill" exists where the effect of gravitation is the least, in the interstellar spaces, and up near the speed of light. We're a VERY long way down from there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SHISHKABOB posted:

the gravitational influence of the super massive black hole on the rest of the galaxy is practically zero

this is a retarded statement

naem posted:

It is a particle or particle like object that comes spontaneously into existence when mass passes through a something something field.

It was once a mathematical concept that said "let's treat gravity as if it is a force conveyed as though a particle is fired across space, like a tiny ping pong ball."

A guy named Higg predicted that this ping pong ball actually exists and that we'd see one some day just like we have seen other tiny sub-subatomic particles like quarks.

The guys running the giant particle collider crashed some stuff together to blast it apart and actually found and recorded a higg's boson particle exactly as he predicted like last year.

It's gravity is what it is

no it isn't, it has almost nothing to do with gravity

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nathilus posted:

there's this rather expensive loop thing somewhere in europe that was designed to explain this, don't you check the loving news? They've been flipping out since at least 2008.

i rememebr some sciencefag saying to detect gravity particles we'd need a loop thing the size of jupiters orbit or maybe circumference

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

redshirt posted:

Like Shishkabob says, it's totally correct at certain scales. I believe the Apollo missions were calculated using Newtonian Dynamics. It also posits gravity as an attractive force - nothing said about the means of this attraction. Relativity states that gravity really isn't a force at all, just space time geometry. QD posits the graviton and it's supposed to behave like the other imaginary particles which make up the Quantum world.

Look redshirt, I'm no scientigician, but my understanding was that there will always be slight differences in their predictions. But when dealing with everyday problems that involve weak gravitational fields, the differences are so infinitesimally small that they're basically impossible to measure. Just off the top of my head, I'd think that Newton's erroneous belief in the instantaneous propagation of gravity through space would necessarily throw off every measurement by some amount. Am I wrong?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

this is a retarded statement

ahahahahaha please tell me why

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nathilus posted:

You have the perspective the wrong way around. Solar systems are at the bottom of reality. The highest "hill" exists where the effect of gravitation is the least, in the interstellar spaces, and up near the speed of light. We're a VERY long way down from there.

Well that's your opinion, init?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Benedick Cuckold posted:

Look redshirt, I'm no scientigician, but my understanding was that there will always be slight differences in their predictions. But when dealing with everyday problems that involve weak gravitational fields, the differences are so infinitesimally small that they're basically impossible to measure. Just off the top of my head, I'd think that Newton's erroneous belief in the instantaneous propagation of gravity through space would necessarily throw off every measurement by some amount. Am I wrong?

since it propagates at the speed of light anything within an observer's light cone would feel the effects effectively instantly

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Imagine that light is milk.
And yogurt is gravity.

Much like how science cannot capably discern how milk transmogrifies itself into yogurt, the same inexplicable process turn light into the effects of gravity.

No one can say, in any capacity whatsoever how milk can become yogurt, no amount of science has ever revealed how this process works (nor can it for obvious reasons); so to the inobservable process of light turning to gravity continues to occur all around us.

naem
May 29, 2011

indigi posted:

No it isn't, it has almost nothing to do with gravity

it's the thing that conveys gratify according to CNN, why else wer'e we all excited about it

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

indigi posted:

since it propagates at the speed of light anything within an observer's light cone would feel the effects effectively instantly

I'm afraid you've lost me there. What do you mean by effectively instantly? A gravitational force a light year away is going to take one year to reach me, no matter what. If the sun exploded right now, we wouldn't feel the loss of its gravitational pull for a full eight minutes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When we see things, that is when they "happen". It's the relativity of simultaneity.

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
gravity is a beam, like light

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

redshirt posted:

Well that's your opinion, init?

no the entire point of a hill is that you can coast down it. you can't magically slide uphill without expending energy but (friction willing) you can slide downhill without expending energy.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
dude it's like, the curvature of spAce. like, space curves to occupy your ludicrous asshiole, which causes thinking in u if u think about it (thinking)

so like, spoace is a super 2-d grid. nope bitch matter has none of that lets make it a 3dimension. and so, space curves. all u need to kno

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
Gravity is proof god exists because

Praise to allah

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

gravity is love... gaius?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nathilus posted:

no the entire point of a hill is that you can coast down it. you can't magically slide uphill without expending energy but (friction willing) you can slide downhill without expending energy.

Well we're above the central black hole, are we not?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SHISHKABOB posted:

When we see things, that is when they "happen". It's the relativity of simultaneity.

Yeah that's why it's called space-time because everything is bound by the speed of light. Information is bound by the speed of light.

You can SAY that the suns light is "8 minutes old" but really, it's been 8 minutes old for the entire existence of the solar system to us. You can also say we're 8 minutes behind, kinda.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

redshirt posted:

yeah, of course, since it has higher gravitation. it might be compared to being on the bottom of the pacific basin (us) vs being on the bottom of the mariana trench. this comparison breaks down of course because there are interstellar distances even within our own galaxy where the gravity you feel from both our star and the central galactic object are negligible.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

redshirt posted:

I think I see what he's saying. Earth is within it's own gravity well, at the very bottom. Spacecraft fight to escape earths gravity well, an uphill struggle, then are pulled into the suns gravity well, which, essentially, is a shallow curve since it's so massive. The planets are dips on that curve, like pockmarks, and then the suns gravity well, is a dip in the galaxy's gravity well

Erm by bottom I mean relatively. The above answer is better

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yeah that's why it's called space-time because everything is bound by the speed of light. Information is bound by the speed of light.

You can SAY that the suns light is "8 minutes old" but really, it's been 8 minutes old for the entire existence of the solar system to us. You can also say we're 8 minutes behind, kinda.

Even cooler, sunlight is more like a million years old. It's been trapped inside the sun for a long time before it escapes the surface.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

photons never age, they are immortal. if we were going that fast too, we'd never age. or have any mass or whatever POINT IS poo poo happens independent of your dumb rear end, but you ain't detecting poo poo until the photons get recepted by your photon-receptacles

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Totes

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I think I see what he's saying. Earth is within it's own gravity well, at the very bottom. Spacecraft fight to escape earths gravity well, an uphill struggle, then are pulled into the suns gravity well, which, essentially, is a shallow curve since it's so massive. The planets are dips on that curve, like pockmarks, and then the suns gravity well, is a dip in the galaxy's gravity well

probably a better way to put it. GJ.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Turn that gravity well upside down! We're at the very pinnacle of reality!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I mean, we'd never age relative to other bodies. A space ship traveling at near light speed (97% iirc) would experience time dilation relative to slower objects (earth) so the ship would be 2000 years old physically, but 10,000 years old compared to earth

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

you ever miss and put your dick through the bedsheet? the earth's gravitational field acts the exact same way

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

redshirt posted:

Turn that gravity well upside down! We're at the very pinnacle of reality!

dont actually do this, someone may get hurt

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

when the aliens come and use their gravity cannons and gravity bombs and gravity bullets on us we better have figured out how to deal with gravity

just saying

airplanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

hey. idiots. the higgs mechanism results in mass for elementary particles, not gravity for enormous clumps of particles.

gravity is made of time and mass. there is no gravity without both, and adding anything else produces no effect. therefore it must be made of time and mass.

and no the higgs mass is not the same as gravity mass. the higgs mechanism is for inertia and poo poo.

• Locked thread