Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Dexters Secret posted:

dang man it only took me a month to win in ToME but and I think that amounts to the time I spent trying to learn Crawl without coming away with much. ToME just resonated a lot more with me, and i think that has a lot to do with managing consumables because i really hate managing consumables, i could just focus on what i love: tactical combat

i tried looking up Crawl videos on youtube and they're all about as exciting as you'd expect. i just don't GET that game and I even tried to parse the wiki but there's SO MUCH in that game that i couldn't even crack the shell, it was just so unapproachable.

The wiki is garbage and Crawl is a game that prizes learning by experience over everything else. It's also, like ToME, really focused on the tactical combat but includes elements of strategy as well with the consumables and skill management. That said, you sound good at games, and if you played MiBes and asked me/another decent player for advice you could probably beat it in a couple three weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

There's this insanely retarded man named ZebTM who played Crawl for something like 7 years without winning until we badgered him about it and he just ran a bunch of MiBes and ascended in a week.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

The wiki is garbage and Crawl is a game that prizes learning by experience over everything else. It's also, like ToME, really focused on the tactical combat but includes elements of strategy as well with the consumables and skill management. That said, you sound good at games, and if you played MiBes and asked me/another decent player for advice you could probably beat it in a couple three weeks.

tactical games are extremely my poo poo, i'm bad at most other games.

What's MiBes?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

i would not have won without this one item that made that bullshit fire realm heal me instead of hurt me, and also Stone Wall, which buys you time to recover.

on a different run with a Wyrmic i was able to defeat that bullshit room full of level 63 dragons or whatever, had to pull them one at a time and cycle CC and it was tedious as all gently caress but i did it and i got a shiny achievement

that wyrmic almost beat the game, but i fought a unique with the bullshit fire realm ability that had infinite mana (which means you stay there until it dies, and the fire realm heals it) so i died

My first game getting to the East I died to that room in a single turn.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

tactical games are extremely my poo poo, i'm bad at most other games.

What's MiBes?

Oh minotaur berseker sorry. I post with crawl people a lot.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

this is basically why i stopped playing ToME, along with how boring the early game had gotten before i got mercilessly wrecked midgame by one of them

Yeah there's basically no danger between the starter dungeon and Dreadfall lol. The elf sacrifice dungeon I guess?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

the thief place is also really dangerous to newbies too.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I guess there's also that crypt and lightning mountain but the only really dangerous stuff there are the bosses.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

I guess there's also that crypt and lightning mountain but the only really dangerous stuff there are the bosses.

fighting more than one zappy giant at a time can be very bad because their lightning has a lot of burst

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

fighting more than one zappy giant at a time can be very bad because their lightning has a lot of burst

I've died to it but it really doesn't take more than a few games to figure it out. Also I'm pretty sure they never stun you so you can just teleport.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

oh that's right, DCSS is a gigantic pain in the rear end to keybind.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

that's another thing i hate about most roguelikes, way too many bindings. i don't even use half of the bindings in ToME, literally went into the keybindings, undid all the bindings except for ones i knew i'd need, and then bound others as i learned i needed them.

with Crawl i can't really do that and i gotta learn this archaic rear end interface.

is it really that weird to want to use WASD-QEZC for movement? With X as auto-explore?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah I agree with you about the bindings but this is a 20 year old game.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

You actually can rebind everything it's just insanely tedious.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

You actually can rebind everything it's just insanely tedious.

i did this last time I played and it was indeed insanely tedious.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Honestly though just learn the controls.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

A good roguelike game to play is Brogue, it is pretty much the best one in my opinion, or Caves of Qud.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

Honestly though just learn the controls.

and gently caress up my muscle memory for every other PC game in the process? No I have to use WASD to move, if i screw with that part of my brain everything will fall apart like a house of cards

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Fuligin posted:

A good roguelike game to play is Brogue, it is pretty much the best one in my opinion, or Caves of Qud.

Anyone who says Caves of Qud is a good roguelike is completely insane.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

would rogue be a roguelike

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

and gently caress up my muscle memory for every other PC game in the process? No I have to use WASD to move, if i screw with that part of my brain everything will fall apart like a house of cards

You'll actually just improve your numpad use skills.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

mango gay touchies posted:

would rogue be a roguelike

It's rogue.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

but is it a roguelike, since it's the original

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thug Lessons posted:

Anyone who says Caves of Qud is a good roguelike is completely insane.

What don't you like about it, out of curiosity? I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything but the setting is kind of fun, which is the last thing you expect from a roguelike, the character creation is rad, the ASCII is actually nice to look at.

Anyway Brogue is still the best.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

mango gay touchies posted:

but is it a roguelike, since it's the original

It's rogue dude.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

is Mario Tennis a ponglike

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Fuligin posted:

What don't you like about it, out of curiosity? I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything but the setting is kind of fun, which is the last thing you expect from a roguelike, the character creation is rad, the ASCII is actually nice to look at.

Anyway Brogue is still the best.

This isn't really the forum for an in-depth explanation but basically: everything is insanely imbalanced and it's badly coded. The autoexplore will take you in literal circles. Mutations are cool conceptually but they play out really badly because they increase in tiny boring increments. Psy is objectively better than physical in numbers terms. It allows, if not requires, grinding but makes it difficult to even find where to do it. There's more but basically it's a half-done mess of a game.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Sometimes the autoexplore will literally run you back and forth between two squares and never stop.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

okay I just learned NotEye is a thing, how do you feel about that?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I don't know enough to comment.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Actually I'll say that libtcod's UI is garbage and anything that potentially makes it easier to make decent-looking graphical stuff out of libtcod is cool. Works semi-decent in ADOM.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

so answer me this, what roguelikes are on the same level of approachability as ToME?

and don't say DCSS because that's a fuckin lie

Doom, the roguelike OP.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Have you tried any of the more interesting and/or new classes in ToME? Mindslayers are a pretty cool class now

Zodar
May 21, 2007

"Roguelike" games that allow you to make incremental, permanent progress between playthroughs are an abomination. Rogue Legacy is repulsive on every level

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Zodar posted:

"Roguelike" games that allow you to make incremental, permanent progress between playthroughs are an abomination. Rogue Legacy is repulsive on every level

"Boo-loving-hoo, it's not pure enough!"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mach2 posted:

"Boo-loving-hoo, it's not pure enough!"

I kind of sucks when you replace "I died because I hosed up" with "I died because I haven't spent enough games grinding for permanent health increases".

I don't know why people call Rogue Legacy a roguelike though (because it has Rogue in the name??). It's a platformer, it doesn't have permadeath, it isn't turn-based... the only thing vaguely roguey about it is the random castle layout.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I kind of sucks when you replace "I died because I hosed up" with "I died because I haven't spent enough games grinding for permanent health increases".

I don't know why people call Rogue Legacy a roguelike though (because it has Rogue in the name??). It's a platformer, it doesn't have permadeath, it isn't turn-based... the only thing vaguely roguey about it is the random castle layout.

steam tags.

every single game is a roguelike.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Rogue Legacy is 100% trash on every level. It's one of the worst platforming games I've ever played.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's really no fun at all and people who compare it to any castlevania need help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Rogue Legacy is 100% trash on every level. It's one of the worst platforming games I've ever played.

i agree with this

• Locked thread