Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
Much as I do like the ambition and idea of doing something different with the rematches, the first form of the Wily capsule is just inexcuseably bad. Not because it's hard, because it's boring. That and if you aren't familiar with the game you may spend all your weapon energy leaving you in a bad spot if you're fighting the extra boss in the next stage.

Oh, also recycle inhaler instantly stops the energy collection thing it does in phase two before shooting fireballs everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The mini-Metroidvania boss refights is a really cool thin. Made me imagine an entire Megaman game in that style.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, a well made megatroidvania would be a good idea and I'd play the crap out of it. To be fair, the standard Mega Man format is halfway there already.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Aww yea, 8-bit remix of the Final Fantasy Mystic Quest lass boss music.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

doing the obvious posted:

Much as I do like the ambition and idea of doing something different with the rematches, the first form of the Wily capsule is just inexcuseably bad. Not because it's hard, because it's boring. That and if you aren't familiar with the game you may spend all your weapon energy leaving you in a bad spot if you're fighting the extra boss in the next stage.

Oh, also recycle inhaler instantly stops the energy collection thing it does in phase two before shooting fireballs everywhere.

Pro tip: Don't use weapons against Wily Capsule 1. It's not really worth it and the buster chews through his health bar fast enough as it is.
Also if you're fighting that extra boss than there is absolutely no way you aren't already familiar with the game going into this stage.

Thoughts on the Metroidvania stage: It's awesome. That's all. It's a great spin on refights. It's a great way to play around with the concept. It's just the best.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I kinda wanted to actually watch the refights... especially the ones where you commented that you actually did something different when fighting them, like use their "true weakness" or whatever.

The jump cuts going through the labyrinth were a bit disorienting as well. The map implied that you skipped a LOT of the level in those cuts? Because it looked like each boss had maybe one or two screens before the boss door, and that was it, but the map seemed to show otherwise?

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

Augus posted:

Also if you're fighting that extra boss than there is absolutely no way you aren't already familiar with the game going into this stage.

The conditions for fighting the extra boss aren't that obtuse. My issue is that if you find out what it is and want to fight it but emptied out most of your weapons against the Wily capsule's first or second form, you can leave yourself beyond hosed since the buster is woefully inadequate to deal with parts of that fight. All compounded by the fact you won't have access to Rush Search to help refill the dent the capsules might have made in your weapon energy.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

Iunnrais posted:

I kinda wanted to actually watch the refights... especially the ones where you commented that you actually did something different when fighting them, like use their "true weakness" or whatever.

The jump cuts going through the labyrinth were a bit disorienting as well. The map implied that you skipped a LOT of the level in those cuts? Because it looked like each boss had maybe one or two screens before the boss door, and that was it, but the map seemed to show otherwise?

The true weaknesses don't do much other than kill them faster, and I'll show them in the extra video past Wily 4 if you're interested. Also, the only things I skipped with the cuts were the bosses and going back for Yashichi refills, so you didn't miss that much.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
IT'S A KIRBY REFEREEENNCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If there's anything that I didn't show in the LP, it isn't listed below, and you want to see it in the next video, please tell me so I can show it! Thanks!

- Hero Score
- Killing Eddie
- Shadow Man
- ? Dagger
- Rush Cannon dodges

- True weaknesses
- Bullet Hell Mothrayas and Joe Ni-Nin Va All addendums
- More of Snatchman
- Trash compactor in Dust Man addendum (possibly)
- Maybe more of Bright Man's attacks?
- Messing around with Toad Spell?
- Pharaoh Man stage details if you revisit it
- The pause menu descriptions for weapons and items

I will not be showing any of Special Mode, that will be getting its own video at the end of the LP.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
The Japanese at the end of the credits just says "Pure Sabe" in hiragana.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think I heard that some of Bullet Hell Wily Capsule's shots are fake shots or something. No idea how you'd tell which, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dabir posted:

I think I heard that some of Bullet Hell Wily Capsule's shots are fake shots or something. No idea how you'd tell which, though.

I don't think any of them are fake, but a lot of the hit boxes for them are smaller than the lasers would make you think

Honestly, the sheer amount of lasers on the screen is more a distraction than anything else. Every laser pattern he has is actually fairly simple and has a reliable way to dodge it. It's just a matter of having good reflexes and not letting yourself panic or be overwhelmed by the number of lasers when really most of the lasers on the screen are never gonna come close to hitting you.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 1, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some of those shots went straight through Mega for sure, though.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
You asked about the Japanese at the end there?

そのた = Sonota = "Other"
ぷれさべ = Puresabe

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
"Sonota" in this case means "for every thing else" or "the rest". As far as describing contributions, it's not quite as self-deprecating as "other" would be in English, which has connotations of being miscellaneous or here-and-there. It's the difference between saying you did other work or you did all other work. Though that's pretty quibbling given the game's relative commitment to clear translation.

It's also kinda amazing how all the design just went out the window and the game just became an attrition battle. I guess that's done to up the tension and make you always feel in danger of dying soon, but it seems cheap and out of character.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
In response to the video, no, the English was broken even in that final cutscene. It looks right, but it's still written badly.

MartianAgitator posted:

It's also kinda amazing how all the design just went out the window and the game just became an attrition battle. I guess that's done to up the tension and make you always feel in danger of dying soon, but it seems cheap and out of character.
This is something I can just never agree with. I don't know if I said it in this thread, or another thread, or just not at all, but I've found that there isn't a single thing that you can't just power through quickly if you have the right item on hand. I never personally found anything resembling "attrition".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The Chimera bots and the Petit Masters are really great ideas, but this end point really shows off how much PureSabe is a little too focused on Gradius, and he lets it color a game that totally isn't the right venue for Gradius features.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

You actually can destroy the petite robut masters with just the buster. It's just very, very slow and frustrating. I found the Tohou Wily more questionable a design choice than the escape sequence. It's in the same vein as Mothra, Megaman in general doesn't have the hitbox to dodge that many projectiles.

I do genuinely like the Chimera Bots, and I like that just like the dark robut masters in 3, they all have two weaknesses.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

doing the obvious posted:

I found the Tohou Wily more questionable a design choice than the escape sequence. It's in the same vein as Mothra, Megaman in general doesn't have the hitbox to dodge that many projectiles.
For the first one, every second bullet in the spread (for the most part) that boss fired weren't actually there. For the Wily version of that idea, it's still entirely possible to not take a single hit from him.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
I have to post this video right before I leave to go somewhere for a while, so the video will probably finish uploading a few minutes after I post this. Sorry about that!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Well that was some dumb poo poo.

Yeah, players will totally love a secret boss who requires you to be perfect in every level and if they die to him you have to start all over from the beginning of the game. :downsbravo:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm a sucker for optional superbosses so Super Shadowman is right up my alley. It is pretty stupid that if you die you lose the chance to fight him again but I guess that is what save states are for. The game also only autosaves when you beat a level so if you quit out of the game the normal way after dying to him you'll still be able to fight him (this applies to every other level in the game too, if you quit after dying in a level you'll be able to start over without your death being saved). I think the idea was that Puresabe didn't want people who didn't know about the boss to get stuck on it if they just so happened to be on a no-death run and not be able to get to the Wily Capsule. It's a flawed execution I'll admit. I like the fight itself though. It's one of those battles that you definitely won't beat on your first try, but each attempt you get a bit better and get a grasp on dodging his insane variety of attacks. It's a huge test of reflexes and memorization and it is very satisfying to finally pull off after countless attempts. It's a lot like a bonus boss in a Kingdom Hearts game in that way.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

I hate Super Shadowman more for the fact that his attacks that do drain your weapon energy can leave you in a bad way cause like I mentioned, the buster is woefully inadequate to deal with several of his attack patterns.

I have gotten a hero score of 100. Your reward is Protoman spouting some engrish gibberish at you and you get a tiny little badge sprite of Rockman in the special menu screen with a 100 under it. It really isn't worth doing unless you really like being challenged like that. In which case, the only advice I can give is beat Dust and Skull man as soon as possible so you can ignore several obstacles with Recycle Inhaler and blitz through the levels using Hell Wheel.

doing the obvious fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 22, 2015

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
:suicide:

(ft. Heavy Sigh and Jacobus Spades)

SnoruntPyro fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 13, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hardly any invincibility frames, way more enemies, bullshit bosses. Yep, this is everything you'd expect from a "hard ROM hack".

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hardly any invincibility frames, way more enemies, bullshit bosses. Yep, this is everything you'd expect from a "hard ROM hack".

*Unfairly Hard Romhack

totally fixed. But yea...let Snorunt's tears and blood FLOW!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > PureSabe Laughs While You Suffer for his Art...Let's Play Rockman 4 Minus Infinity

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Augus posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > PureSabe Laughs While You Suffer for his Art...Let's Play Rockman 4 Minus Infinity

It's really quite a contrast to see SnoruntPyro's videos vs the ones two years ago from the Hard Games thread (done by Dectilon and Phiggle). They have very different opinions on the game, so if SnoruntPyro's resigned despair over playing the game that he sounds like he hates is getting to you, you should check out the other videos instead - Dectilon and Phiggle enjoy the game much more and it shows in their commentary.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Olesh posted:

It's really quite a contrast to see SnoruntPyro's videos vs the ones two years ago from the Hard Games thread (done by Dectilon and Phiggle). They have very different opinions on the game, so if SnoruntPyro's resigned despair over playing the game that he sounds like he hates is getting to you, you should check out the other videos instead - Dectilon and Phiggle enjoy the game much more and it shows in their commentary.

This is true, but SnoruntPyro's videos are probably much more true to how I would experience the game if I'd play myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Olesh posted:

I've already seen Dectilon and Phiggle's play through, and my experience with the game is definitely more in line with theirs.
Either way though, Hard mode is a complete nightmare by any standard and it only gets more ludicrously difficult as you go. I'd say resigned despair is an acceptable response to it.

• Locked thread