Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ham_sanitizer

professional swine bather
women love men no matter what, see that other thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogi

Anyone here read Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl? I feel like it's the kind if thing that would be assigned in a lot of psych classes. It's by this neuroscientist who went to auschwitz and his takeaway from that experience. Depressing as gently caress, but he has some interesting things to say about humanity.

Bwee
man who mistook his wife for a hat is good

Swizzbutt

dogcrash truther posted:

depends on whether you have a deep interest and passable knowledge in the complex details of economic statistics, so probably not. i also did not have the interest or knoweldge and it was rough going. the beginning is definitely worth reading, which is where he lays out his theory in laymans terms. the rest of the book is good if you want to understand and potentially critique the basis of his claims, but i certainly do not know enough about economics to do that so it was all kind of a waste.

agreed, it gets very detailed very quickly. on that note my mom told me they all had to read it as schoolchildren in the ussr which sounds like a drat nightmare

ham_sanitizer

sexual nightmare posted:

Anyone here read Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl? I feel like it's the kind if thing that would be assigned in a lot of psych classes. It's by this neuroscientist who went to auschwitz and his takeaway from that experience. Depressing as gently caress, but he has some interesting things to say about humanity.

yeah I have read it. the first part is interesting and good and then he starts preaching about his psychiatry method.

ham_sanitizer

Swizzbutt posted:

agreed, it gets very detailed very quickly. on that note my mom told me they all had to read it as schoolchildren in the ussr which sounds like a drat nightmare

uhh pretty sure you're thinking of Das Kapital

landy.
this thread is really building my to read list.

Swizzbutt

Selfsuck Roadhead posted:

uhh pretty sure you're thinking of Das Kapital

lol yeah oops

pogi

It's a good thread.

yeah I have read it. the first part is interesting and good and then he starts preaching about his psychiatry method.

I agree. I feel like everything that needed to be said was in the first part - there's some powerful stuff in the first part. I don't know enough psychiatry to comment on the second half, but it seemed kind of hokey to me.

shabbat goy

I recently finished You Can't Win by Jack Black (not that Jack Black)

If you want to read an old man's tall (but true and autobiographical) tales about riding the rails, pulling heists, cracking safes, and smoking opium, this is the book for you.

Also, I just looked and apparently they did a film adaptation that's currently in post-production and should be released later this year, which is bound to be dope if it's anything like the book.

POWERBALL

by zen death robot

beer pal posted:

should i read it?

i tried buty it was too hard :eng99:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ham_sanitizer

it sounds like jack black did win though, at lots of stuff

dogcrash truther

sexual nightmare posted:

It's a good thread.

I agree. I feel like everything that needed to be said was in the first part - there's some powerful stuff in the first part. I don't know enough psychiatry to comment on the second half, but it seemed kind of hokey to me.

hm. i think the second half is really good from a practical standpoint

shabbat goy

it sounds like jack black did win though, at lots of stuff

He did pull off some successful heists, but he also spent a good portion of his life in jail/prison and ended up drowning himself by tying weights to his ankles and jumping in a river so :shrug:

pogi

dogcrash truther posted:

hm. i think the second half is really good from a practical standpoint

Hmm. Maybe so. I read the book as part of a Humanistic Psych class, which happened to be one of the worst classes I ever had to take (the professor was a year from retirement and didn't give any shits). That might have colored my view.

What other psych books would you guys recommend?

pogi

I love knowledge, this thread is really good.

I'm trying to read Trainspotting now and it's almost impossible to decipher Renton's accent.

dogcrash truther

crust munch posted:

this interests me

it should, it's really good. here's an online version of one of her most famous stories (some typos in this version, i think the person typed it up from a book). it's about middle of the pack for her in terms of quality, i think, but it's a good intro:

http://davidlavery.net/Courses/3840/stories/screwfly.html

dogcrash truther fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 8, 2015

dogcrash truther
whoops

3D Megadoodoo

donald westlake is a very cool writer you should all read donald westlake

ulvir

I'm reading the satanic verses these days, with some required reading for class interspersed.

3D Megadoodoo

ulvir posted:

I'm reading the satanic verses these days, with some required reading for class interspersed.

I read The Jaguar Smile (which had hell of typos) a few years back but I've never read any other of his books.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Is blindsight by peter watts good? saw it namedropped in the space thread. I don't like the writing style much - at least it's on cc - but could maybe bear if it was good overall

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Commie NedFlanders

very cool books:

The Courage to Be by Paul Tillich - philosophic work by a christian guy examining metaphysics of anxiety. he breaks down the difference between anxiety and fear, and the different types of anxiety, and gets into the obsessive over-thinking neurotic heebie jeebies of how one faces and overcomes raw existential anxiety through Faith.

Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton - This really clever guy like Oscar Wilde clever, who grew up questioning everything, explains how he went from radical skepticism to Christian faith and he does it with all sorts of clever and witty paradoxes and stuff. He does a great job explaining how rationality by itself is a stupid perfect circle that gets you nowhere except for the loony bin.

Infinite Jest - gently caress yes. DFW
A Supposedly Fun thing I'll never do again ; Consider the Lobster - David Foster Wallace's brilliant mind in more digestible doses than Infinite Jest, basically a series of essays and reflections, non-fiction stuff.
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men - more DFW - fiction stuff
if you like DFW but you haven't checked out his story about John McCain, you really should because it's wild to see a Republican cast in the light of wallace's vision

Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord - Marxist social theory stuff, basically a series of short but dense theses that develop the topic of the Spectacle, the images and illusions that dominate our contemporary world. excellent must read for leftists

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde : does the decadent life appeal to you? do you wish you could spend your days chillaxin to the maximum and enjoying worldly pleasures? what if you could live the ultimate life of excess and sin and still walk amongst mortals without the burden of your deeds weighing down on you.... read this book. excellent for anyone afraid of growing up and clutching onto enjoyment

Discipline and Punish - Michel Foucault : all about punishment, torture, prison, the means by which we break bodies as a demonstration and protection of authority, and how it's evolved over time and social conditions into the breaking of souls with horrifying and spooky accurate visions of the future dystopia we find ourself wading into today

Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes - think dpimpjedi the younger years but way funnier

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It's a short and easy read, a science fiction story about a war between humans an an alien race from deep space. The aliens and the battlefield are indeed so alien and far away that the distance needed to travel is titanic. Soldiers are put into a form of stasis and travel at extremely high speeds approaching the speed of light to reach these aliens. The result of this travel is time dilation because of Einstein's razzamatazz. After his first tour of duty, the protagonist finds himself feeling like an alien at home on a planet that has changed severely. He's only aged a few months or so while the rest of Earth has leaped forward into the future. Struggling to adapt, he reenlists, despite his jaded attitude towards the military. Joe Haldeman wrote the book after his experiences fighting in Vietnam, he talks about the disillusionment experienced by soldiers experiencing combat for the first time, he talks about the propaganda and military culture, he talks about the struggles adjusting to life after all of it.

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 9, 2015

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Commie NedFlanders

for some light fun facts that might blow your mind, look into author Mary Roach

She's done stuff like Bonk! (book on sex research), Spook (book on ghosts/afterlife) , and Stiff (book on death and cadaver research)

they are fun and gross and interesting reads that'll give you lots of weird poo poo to talk about at whatever social things human beans do these days. she does a lot of books about scientific research but it's very accessible to someone who doesn't read academic papers.

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Commie NedFlanders

suicide bi cop posted:

On Capital - Karl Marx
Hegemony and Survival- Noam Chomsky
Failed States- Noam Chomsky
The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith

These

also i'll add

A People's History of the United States of America - Howard Zinn

if you're new to left wing ideas this book does a great job of summarizing US history from the perspective of exploited peoples

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Chef Shimi

The Death and Life of Great American Cities

Chef Shimi

is cool for looking at poverty in cities through a slightly different lens than economics.

i am he

Chef Shimi posted:

The Death and Life of Great American Cities

I'm currently reading this and it's good.

deep dish peat moss

sexual nightmare posted:

In Norwegian Wood, I thought the scene where the main guy and the second girl sip on beer and play guitar while it's raining ash from a nearby housefire was one of the most beautiful, romantic things I've ever read

Norwegian Wood was worth reading but I can hardly believe it was written by the same guy as all the other Murakami I've read. Murakami made me want to be a writer because all of his stories are about extremely boring things but they're told romantically and with enough weird surrealism that they're fun to read anyway.

dogcrash truther

BYOB Ross posted:

I'm currently reading this and it's good.

you ever read "city" by clifford simak?

deep dish peat moss

I don't often read non-fiction but Huck's Raft is a very cool book.

pogi

Hick Magnet posted:

Norwegian Wood was worth reading but I can hardly believe it was written by the same guy as all the other Murakami I've read. Murakami made me want to be a writer because all of his stories are about extremely boring things but they're told romantically and with enough weird surrealism that they're fun to read anyway.

It seems different on the surface, but I saw a lot of similarties to wind-up bird. Right down the the characters - a girl who the mc is in a relationship with that has a dark past, a girl who's fun and energetic that likes the mc for some reason, a main character who's apathetic about life, etc.

What I really like most about Murakami is the amount of detail he puts into things and the way they're presented. It's like you said, he puts ordinary things in a perspective that makes them seem magical, yes at the same time relatable.

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

you ever read "city" by clifford simak?

Nope. I haven't read any fiction in a while. Lately I've only been reading planning and design stuff.

i am he

Whoa "City" is really expensive.

Bwee
Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes - think dpimpjedi the younger years but way funnier

i am he

Bwee posted:

Rip windmill slayer

dogcrash truther

BYOB Ross posted:

Whoa "City" is really expensive.

Is it really? Huh. I've had my copy for probably 15 years. Is it out of print?

dogcrash truther

BYOB Ross posted:

Nope. I haven't read any fiction in a while. Lately I've only been reading planning and design stuff.

Have you read S M L XL by rem koolhaas?

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

Is it really? Huh. I've had my copy for probably 15 years. Is it out of print?

Must be. There's new copies on amazon for 2k and used are like $60.

dogcrash truther posted:

Have you read S M L XL by rem koolhaas?

No but it's sitting in my amazon wish list. I haven't touched much architecture yet except Bricks and Mortals and a history of visual styles I like to keep around. I used to think I wanted to be one until I learned what it really entails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bwee
master and margarita

• Locked thread