Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Thank you for the absolutely fantastic LP, Vicas. This was a lovely, relaxing watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That was one surreal fight. No idea what the gently caress happened, though.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The design of the first phase of the truth boss appears to be inspired by The book of Ezekiel.

Ezekiel 1:16-18 posted:

16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Thanks for a lovely LP, Vicas! Still have no clue as to what the gently caress is going on story-wise, though...

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Major_JF posted:

The design of the first phase of the truth boss appears to be inspired by The book of Ezekiel.

Yeah, my first thought when seeing the first phase was 'Oh wow they went with the old-school angel design, that's actually really neat'. I'm a sucker for eldritch abominations, what can I say?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The Truth was a lot like the final boss of a Kirby game, where everything goes from charming and cute to... that.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Searching for the Truth - Was not expecting that many eyes when I found it - Let's Play Titan Souls

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for the fun LP. I enjoyed watching it a lot! :D

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Suspicious Cook posted:

The Truth was a lot like the final boss of a Kirby game, where everything goes from charming and cute to... that.

I would be amazed if the Inspiration for Truth's design didn't come from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kurieg posted:

I would be amazed if the Inspiration for Truth's design didn't come from Fullmetal Alchemist.

And Fullmetal Alchemist's designs for weird supernatural poo poo like that come from the Old Testament depictions of Angels.

Like, if you took that picture right there and went back a few thousand years to show it to some proper Old Testament Jews they'd take one look at that and go 'yep that's an angel, did it announce itself? If not run.'

Seriously, Old Testament Angels are batshit insane eldrich abominations and if the very first words out of their mouth aren't 'be not afraid' then you should be very, very afraid. They will gently caress you up.

That said; 'a wheel within a wheel and the rims of the wheels all covered in eyes' is pretty much word for word how Ophanim (also known as Thrones) are described in Ezekiel 1:15-21 of which Major_JF quoted the relevant lines. So yeah Truth's first form is very clearly a reference to that.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 17, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Neruz posted:

That said; 'a wheel within a wheel and the rims of the wheels all covered in eyes' is pretty much word for word how Ophanim (also known as Thrones) are described in Ezekiel 1:15-21 of which Major_JF quoted the relevant lines. So yeah Truth's first form is very clearly a reference to that.

Right, but in FMA that character is literally named Truth, and has silver ringed eyes. Whereas the homonculi have Purple ringed eyes.

It's a biblical reference but probably one they came to by way of FMA.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You realize it's possible for a design to reference multiple things at the same time right? It can be both a biblical reference and a nod to FMA without either reference being in any way lessened by the presence of the other.

FMA also doesn't have the wheels part; just the eye. The way Truth's eye is designed is clearly a reference to FMA Truth and the fact that it takes the form of wheels within wheels is clearly a reference to Chayots.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm not nearly enough of a sperg to go back through decades of anime and find the first one that had ringed eyes to show madness, but I am enough of a sperg to be able to say with some confidence that it wasn't Full Metal Alchemist.

I can't remember it now, but there's a word for when two different works are referencing the same thing, but people confuse one work as referencing the other.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

So after the snow area video, I went "hmm, if the Yeti's name is Yeti, can I work out what everything else is called from that?" and turns out I could (though in hindsight, you could probably crack it as soon as you work out that half the bosses have "of the" in their name). Vicas asked me to save this until he finished the main game, so I'm posting it now. Order is a little screwy because I worked out the snow ones first thanks to the Yeti:

The ? could be J or Q, probably J. Feel free to speculate on this stuff!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
If it makes you feel any better, the game just unlocks a special option that translates all these automatically for you. Also I think there's a 'language' options in the settings that allows you to change all the in-game text and menus to the made-up alphabet.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Niggurath posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the game just unlocks a special option that translates all these automatically for you. Also I think there's a 'language' options in the settings that allows you to change all the in-game text and menus to the made-up alphabet.
Well yeah, that's why Vicas asked me to save it until now. Was still fun to do though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Niggurath posted:

so is it a Q or a J?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

By the way, the rings around Truth's eye in the end-game cutscene read

(outer) LIFE FROM CHAOS
(middle) TRUTH FROM LIFE
(inner) ALL FROM TRUTH

e: should also add, it's been a fun LP, thanks for doing it :).

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I liked the looks of that last fight. The sheer black and white, with a bit of purple, was disorienting from the SotC inspired design in a good way and visually compelling. The animations have been pretty good in this game, but I think they looked superb in that last fight.

Neruz posted:

You realize it's possible for a design to reference multiple things at the same time right? It can be both a biblical reference and a nod to FMA without either reference being in any way lessened by the presence of the other.

Think of references as a triangle where one point is the game from the player's perspective, one is FMA, and one is the biblical references. The audience then must navigate through the three points. In one route, the player could recognize the biblical references from FMA, which are intentional, but that doesn't mean the game actively references Old Testament angles when it references FMA. All of this is hypothetical and any permutation based on the relationship of references is equally valid until we get word from the creators.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Blind Sally posted:

so is it a Q or a J?
That particular boss' name is Rol-Qayin; so it's a Q I suppose.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It's pretty neat with the inferred background, or "lore" I guess it's called now, with the shared "Gol" in a bunch of names, like a surname but pre-fixing their given name.

Also, the Gols tend to do the whole central-body-with-smashy-fists. "Mol-Qayin" and "Rol-Qayin" have the subtitles of being the creations of "Gol-Qayin", and obviously have names that reflect their natures. ("Mol" is a blob of molten lava, "Rol" rolls around a bunch. Also "mol" sounds a bit like "Molly", a female name, which matches her(?) Pac-Woman-eqsue sexual characteristic in the bow-like crystal on her(?) head)

Considering what the big-cliff-face said...

quote:

"You found what you sought..."
"You killed the second God"
"The one who took my place"
"And created the Four Guardians"
"The rest of Guardians here"
"Grew from Lost Souls"
"Some were like you... human"
"They lacked your conviction for killing..."

Four of the Titans are described as Guardians, Gol-Iath, Gol-Hevel ("Murdered"), Gol-Qayin ("Disgraced", and "creator" of Mol & Rol) and Gol-Set. The rest are "lost souls", including the Titan-Slayer Knight Elhanan who also was armed with a bow and "magic" arrow like the player. This makes me think that there's been a lot of attempts at tackling this gates, perhaps all with a singular Titan-killing arrow, and when the person with the arrow either gives up out of remorse ("lack of conviction for killing") or perhaps at just being stuck, they get formed into yet another Guardian.

There's also the untold story of the Murdered and Disgraced Guardians of the second gate. Gol-Qayin has chains, Gol-Hevel's body is found separated, lifeless, from his head. Gol-Q perhaps did in Gol-H, believing his creations Mol & Rol were better than Gol-H, but Gol-Q was found out and punished? Perhaps Gol-Q was annoyed that all the Gol's had a similar way of Guarding, so he created the unique Mol & Rol, Gol-H criticised him and so Gol-Q murdered his "brother"?

I've checked a wiki for what else the big-cliff-face can say, and have a few more (probably obvious) things to add, but I'll wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I don't know what I like better, that the Yeti is called Yeti or that the brain is Brainfreeze.

Anyway, thanks for showing off the game Vicas, definitely seems like a game I'd like to see but not play.

• Locked thread