Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Eeuurg, that looks pretty bad. I never heard of that one before.

Speaking of fan or related games, I've started playing through Heroine's Quest: Herald of Ragnarok. I'm not too far into it, but so far it seems pretty decent. It's free on Steam if anybody's interested, main reason I am playing it. No, I have no idea where the hell that game came out from, but it seems to have some good production value so far.

By the way, H, if you're interested to have someone help with commentary during the more dead times of Quest for Glory II, I can help. I have some slight interesting stuff to talk about the QfG world itself. Nothing too earth shaking, but I know the game pretty well too. Just been years I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cosmic Afro posted:

Eeuurg, that looks pretty bad. I never heard of that one before.

Speaking of fan or related games, I've started playing through Heroine's Quest: Herald of Ragnarok. I'm not too far into it, but so far it seems pretty decent. It's free on Steam if anybody's interested, main reason I am playing it. No, I have no idea where the hell that game came out from, but it seems to have some good production value so far.

By the way, H, if you're interested to have someone help with commentary during the more dead times of Quest for Glory II, I can help. I have some slight interesting stuff to talk about the QfG world itself. Nothing too earth shaking, but I know the game pretty well too. Just been years I played it.

Thanks a lot for the offer. I appreciate it, but I record these episodes weeks in advance. I'm already editing QFG3 so it makes things a bit tricky. I'm doing some pretty brutal edits on QFG2 to cut down on a lot of the dead time.

Feel free to chime in with anything that you know, and I'll add it to the Post\Youtube description :). I only missed out on 3 points for this run, but I know there was a lot of grief behind the scenes in Sierra and they snuck in a lot of things that weren't necessarily "approved"

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

QfG2 is probably my favorite game ever. I memorized the streets. Never did figure out how to get 500 points, though. Is the fan remake any good? It certainly looked pretty.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

QfG2 is probably my favorite game ever. I memorized the streets. Never did figure out how to get 500 points, though. Is the fan remake any good? It certainly looked pretty.

I've never played it. As you can probably tell from my first runthrough, I'm a purist :). If I feel like playing QFG2, I feel like playing the original.

With that, here is the first Episode of Quest For Glory 2

Episode 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gwXzgkohPw
All of Shapier

Nidoking posted:

Alichica's accent is part of a broad reference that I think is worth mentioning, because we're getting to generations that won't be familiar with it. He's one of three cameos in the game of the Marx Brothers, a group of stage and screen comedy performers who were most active in the 30s and 40s. Chico Marx was the wisecracker who spoke with an obnoxious fake Italian accent and always played a character with a stereotypical Italian name, usually Chicolini, although I remember a Baravelli and probably a fair few others that I'm forgetting. (I need to rewatch those movies.) He was incredibly skilled at the piano. Groucho is probably the best known of the brothers, particularly from his TV show "You Bet Your Life", and was the lead actor in all of the movies. His characters always had ridiculous names like Rufus T. Firefly or Hugo Z. Hackenbush, and he was usually found in a borderline abusive yet somehow romantic relationship with Margaret Dumont's characters. (The joke was that he pretty much ignored her whenever another attractive lady came along, and there's never any indication of what she sees in him, but when she gets mad, he sweet-talks her until she forgives him and then immediately insults her.) I think Groucho was more into physical comedy than jokes, but whenever he and Chico shared a scene, the puns flowed like water. Groucho's most recognizable by his painted-on mustache and his ever-present cigar. The third member of the main trio is Harpo, whose curly red hair often lent itself to character names like Pinky or Rusty. He was an expert at the harp, but his main gimmick in the movies is that he never spoke a word. He'd whistle, toot horns, pantomime, or pull faces to get his message across, and it tended to be pretty understandable. There was also Zeppo, who was by all accounts the funniest of the brothers, but played the straight man in the movies he appeared in - his main role in their stage days was stepping into any role if one of his brothers wasn't able to perform. I don't believe he appears in this game.

My favorite movies, if you're inclined to check them out for yourself, are Duck Soup (in which Groucho is a king whose neighboring country is trying to start a war and Chico and Harpo are spies - notable scenes include the famous mirror sketch where Chico poses as Groucho's reflection, the courtroom scene with some of the best jokes in any Marx Brothers movie followed by a song and dance number so zany, even Zeppo gets involved, and a scene where Harpo conducts an entire telephone conversation with horns and a job interview with tattoos) and Horsefeathers (in which Groucho is the president of a college with a flagging athletic program who tries to recruit top football players but ends up with speakeasy delivery boys Chico and Harpo, Zeppo is his son, and all four brothers are trying to have a relationship with the same co-ed - notable scenes include the speakeasy scene that introduced "swordfish" as the default password for everything, the climactic football game itself, and all four brothers performing their own versions of the same song), but I grew up (so to speak) on A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, which can be pretty fun if you don't mind long musical numbers that aren't played for comedy at all. Of some importance to this game is a scene that I believe was in their first movie, The Cocoanuts, where Groucho and Chico are talking about a map and Groucho indicates a path along the viaduct. "Viaduct?" asks Chico. "Vhy not a fence?"

The reason Alichica's directions to the money changer are so hard to follow is that the alleys bend at right angles, but those don't count as turns. Once you realize that you only need to pay attention to the places where the alleys actually fork, it's just a matter of determining "right" as in the opposite of left from "right" as in correct, and of course, reading through the thick Italian accent. Dinarzad gives you much clearer directions back to the Fountain Plaza, from which you head straight south to the Entrance Plaza, buy the map, and never worry about getting lost again.

H13 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 23, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Alichica's accent is part of a broad reference that I think is worth mentioning, because we're getting to generations that won't be familiar with it. He's one of three cameos in the game of the Marx Brothers, a group of stage and screen comedy performers who were most active in the 30s and 40s. Chico Marx was the wisecracker who spoke with an obnoxious fake Italian accent and always played a character with a stereotypical Italian name, usually Chicolini, although I remember a Baravelli and probably a fair few others that I'm forgetting. (I need to rewatch those movies.) He was incredibly skilled at the piano. Groucho is probably the best known of the brothers, particularly from his TV show "You Bet Your Life", and was the lead actor in all of the movies. His characters always had ridiculous names like Rufus T. Firefly or Hugo Z. Hackenbush, and he was usually found in a borderline abusive yet somehow romantic relationship with Margaret Dumont's characters. (The joke was that he pretty much ignored her whenever another attractive lady came along, and there's never any indication of what she sees in him, but when she gets mad, he sweet-talks her until she forgives him and then immediately insults her.) I think Groucho was more into physical comedy than jokes, but whenever he and Chico shared a scene, the puns flowed like water. Groucho's most recognizable by his painted-on mustache and his ever-present cigar. The third member of the main trio is Harpo, whose curly red hair often lent itself to character names like Pinky or Rusty. He was an expert at the harp, but his main gimmick in the movies is that he never spoke a word. He'd whistle, toot horns, pantomime, or pull faces to get his message across, and it tended to be pretty understandable. There was also Zeppo, who was by all accounts the funniest of the brothers, but played the straight man in the movies he appeared in - his main role in their stage days was stepping into any role if one of his brothers wasn't able to perform. I don't believe he appears in this game.

My favorite movies, if you're inclined to check them out for yourself, are Duck Soup (in which Groucho is a king whose neighboring country is trying to start a war and Chico and Harpo are spies - notable scenes include the famous mirror sketch where Chico poses as Groucho's reflection, the courtroom scene with some of the best jokes in any Marx Brothers movie followed by a song and dance number so zany, even Zeppo gets involved, and a scene where Harpo conducts an entire telephone conversation with horns and a job interview with tattoos) and Horsefeathers (in which Groucho is the president of a college with a flagging athletic program who tries to recruit top football players but ends up with speakeasy delivery boys Chico and Harpo, Zeppo is his son, and all four brothers are trying to have a relationship with the same co-ed - notable scenes include the speakeasy scene that introduced "swordfish" as the default password for everything, the climactic football game itself, and all four brothers performing their own versions of the same song), but I grew up (so to speak) on A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, which can be pretty fun if you don't mind long musical numbers that aren't played for comedy at all. Of some importance to this game is a scene that I believe was in their first movie, The Cocoanuts, where Groucho and Chico are talking about a map and Groucho indicates a path along the viaduct. "Viaduct?" asks Chico. "Vhy not a fence?"

The reason Alichica's directions to the money changer are so hard to follow is that the alleys bend at right angles, but those don't count as turns. Once you realize that you only need to pay attention to the places where the alleys actually fork, it's just a matter of determining "right" as in the opposite of left from "right" as in correct, and of course, reading through the thick Italian accent. Dinarzad gives you much clearer directions back to the Fountain Plaza, from which you head straight south to the Entrance Plaza, buy the map, and never worry about getting lost again.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I think Groucho was more into physical comedy than jokes, but whenever he and Chico shared a scene, the puns flowed like water.

You aint kidding. I knew about the Groucho cameo that is later in the game, but I didn't know Alichica was part of it as well.

The Groucho cameo is just diabolical when it comes to puns.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I don't want to hijack the thread with Marx Brothers talk, but I think this clip is one of my favorite Chico moments that never gets highlighted and shows his excellent command of comedic timing. I suspect many of the Groucho cutaways are because he either forgot his line or needed to re-record it later. (This happens at many other times in the movies.) The story here is that Chico, Harpo, and an opera singer have stowed away on a ship to New York, and Groucho's been hiding them from the authorities. When the time comes for them to disembark, they disguise themselves as the most hirsute people on board, who happen to be the world's three greatest aviators, who were invited as honored guests and are expected to give speeches. They almost get away with it, too. I love the way Chico pulls off the entire thing with a straight face, and nobody's willing to call him out on it, although that's sort of a running thing in these movies - most people just end up going along with whatever the Marxes put in front of them, no matter how absurd it gets.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

FairGame posted:

Is the fan remake any good? It certainly looked pretty.

Opinion: yes it's good, and I believe it merits at least one play through

Would I rather play it than the original? That's a bit tougher for me to answer.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

are you able to do imports with it? Because I get the feeling that for big fans of the series not having that function would be a huge turn off

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Aces High posted:

are you able to do imports with it? Because I get the feeling that for big fans of the series not having that function would be a huge turn off

Yes, and exports as well.

It should be noted that if you're a purist, the game allows you to play full text parser style, or even a hybrid if you like both.

Ultimately, it's free, just try it and see if it's worthy to bare the QFG logo (I personally believe it does).

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 25, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
To be fair: I've heard it's a worthy remake. I'm not gonna poo poo on it in my LP or discourage it (like QFG 4.5), but I just never felt like it was necessary and have been perfectly happy with the original.

Side note:
You might notice me changing the Youtube name a fair bit. The reason why is because I'm a teacher and I don't particularly want my students finding this YouTube channel. Not that I'm ever gonna upload anything unprofessional or incriminating, it's just an awful lot easier. That's also why I'm trying to get completely vague and uninteresting names around the letter H which has absolutely *nothing* to do with my real name.

However, today when I gave out my Gmail account to some other members of staff, I got awful tired of explaining what "Channel H" was so I've renamed it to a nickname I once had. So if you're wondering what the hell is going on with the name or whatever, there's your answer :)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

H13 posted:

To be fair: I've heard it's a worthy remake. I'm not gonna poo poo on it in my LP or discourage it (like QFG 4.5), but I just never felt like it was necessary and have been perfectly happy with the original.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I probably would never have gotten into QFG without the remakes, despite playing tons of games while this series was being produced. I just missed it, and never had the money to give it a go, and now that I'm older and more cranky, I want my sleeker interfaces darnit.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

evilmiera posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I probably would never have gotten into QFG without the remakes, despite playing tons of games while this series was being produced. I just missed it, and never had the money to give it a go, and now that I'm older and more cranky, I want my sleeker interfaces darnit.

The QFG1 VGA remake is perfectly adequate, being essentially a functional 1:1 remake that does not significantly alter the game. The QFG2 fan remake, as fan remakes are wont to do, gets ambitious. While I get what they were going for, in terms of having a goal to make the combat system more involved and engaging, the problem is that it's not really a hallmark of the QFG series. In every other game in the series, you can win every winnable combat by spamming attacks as long as your skills are high enough - and there is plenty of opportunity to ensure that you have trained up your skills high enough and little incentive to try and get an advantage through system mastery by dodging/parrying incoming attacks.

The original QFG2, in fact, already has a more involved combat system - compared to QFG1's limited selection of "thrust, slash, dodge, parry", QFG2 offers directional dodges, parries, and attacks, and offer the incentive of making actions more successful if you choose the correct one for the situation. Combat in QFG2 starts out relatively easy with a few dangerous opponents, and quickly progresses to "trivial but fun", especially since it's mostly optional. In contrast, the remake makes combat a rather more dangerous proposition, and combat never becomes trivial due to all of the new elements added to the combat system and changes to enemies - even with maxed out skills.

To this day, I'll still preferentially play the original QfG2 rather than the remake, but like with QfG1 I feel that if you've never played the originals you'll probably be more comfortable playing the remakes as they tend to be more visually appealing and have a mouse-driven interface. From QfG3 onwards, of course, there's no more EGA graphics or text parsers to worry about.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The big problem with the remakes, particularly the first one, is that some of the puzzles were meant for those who paid attention and figured out what to ask people about. If you talk to Yorick in the brigands' hideout, the options "ask about Elsa" and "ask about Yorick" are right there, and anybody who's trying to be even remotely thorough is just handed the answers and the points. A sad necessity of the format change, and one that I know not everyone at Sierra was entirely thrilled with.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Did Dagger of Amon Ra come out before or after Quest For Glory I VGA? Because that handled how to interview people nicely; you could ask anyone in-game about anything Laura knows about, and if someone mentions something pertinent, Laura automatically adds it to her notebook and can start asking/talking to people about that. The later QFG games could have used that instead of "talk to everyone about everything even though you're not TECHNICALLY supposed to know about this yet."

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Episode 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fW1vq2CvcU
- Buying a Saurus
- The Desert
- Daily routine on uneventful days
- Theft?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

"Hello, I must be going" was a famous song from the Marx Brothers movie Animal Crackers. Obviously, Ali Fakir is our Groucho cameo, and Harpo sometimes shows up in the alleys as one of the Easter eggs that are so numerous and mood-breaking, there's an option to turn them off. And that's probably the last I'll say on the subject of the Marx Brothers, unless H13 wants to know more, except to express my disappointment that you didn't ask Alichica "why a duck?" You can also just say "viaduct" and he'll tell you the same thing, just to complete the reference.

The saurus is handy mainly because while you're riding it, you can say "go home" and it will instantly take you back to the gates of Shapeir. It's also handy to ask the guard for directions - I'm pretty sure he actually tells you where to find the Dervish in units of "skareen lengths" - one of my friends was very confused about that when he played the game, but I'm sure you can figure it out. There will be a few other places of interest in the desert later on, described in the same fashion by different people.

And that thief mission is actually possible to complete (mostly) without even having the Stealth skill at all! The floorboards only squeak if you actually try to move with the arrow keys, but if you type a command that moves the hero somewhere (like "open closet" or "roll rug"), he'll move there without making any sound. I don't think you can actually get the tea service that way, but you can clear out the rest of the room and depart without being found. The Pick Locks skill is enough to know the Thieves' SIgn, which is all you need to kick off that quest. There's only one thief quest that absolutely requires Stealth, that I know of.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

"Hello, I must be going" was a famous song from the Marx Brothers movie Animal Crackers. Obviously, Ali Fakir is our Groucho cameo, and Harpo sometimes shows up in the alleys as one of the Easter eggs that are so numerous and mood-breaking, there's an option to turn them off. And that's probably the last I'll say on the subject of the Marx Brothers, unless H13 wants to know more, except to express my disappointment that you didn't ask Alichica "why a duck?" You can also just say "viaduct" and he'll tell you the same thing, just to complete the reference.

I have to confess that I've never seen any Marx Brothers stuff, so I'm betting there were at least a dozen references that went over my head.

quote:

The saurus is handy mainly because while you're riding it, you can say "go home" and it will instantly take you back to the gates of Shapeir. It's also handy to ask the guard for directions - I'm pretty sure he actually tells you where to find the Dervish in units of "skareen lengths" - one of my friends was very confused about that when he played the game, but I'm sure you can figure it out. There will be a few other places of interest in the desert later on, described in the same fashion by different people.

...You're kidding. I thought that there was a certain distance you could go without your saurus before the game would say: "Nope." That Go Home bit sounds amazing and if you listen carefully, you can hear a younger me screaming in frustration at not knowing that.

[quote]And that thief mission is actually possible to complete (mostly) without even having the Stealth skill at all! The floorboards only squeak if you actually try to move with the arrow keys, but if you type a command that moves the hero somewhere (like "open closet" or "roll rug"), he'll move there without making any sound. I don't think you can actually get the tea service that way, but you can clear out the rest of the room and depart without being found. The Pick Locks skill is enough to know the Thieves' SIgn, which is all you need to kick off that quest. There's only one thief quest that absolutely requires Stealth, that I know of.

Indeed! If you watch carefully, you'll notice that I did 90% of it by commands. The only time you need to walk is when you're leaving. You CAN bluff the old guy when he's calling out for his sons by saying "Yes" to the correct name. I unfortunately, didn't do that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

H13 posted:

Indeed! If you watch carefully, you'll notice that I did 90% of it by commands. The only time you need to walk is when you're leaving. You CAN bluff the old guy when he's calling out for his sons by saying "Yes" to the correct name. I unfortunately, didn't do that.

I think you can just type "open door" or "leave".

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

H13 posted:

You CAN bluff the old guy when he's calling out for his sons by saying "Yes" to the correct name. I unfortunately, didn't do that.

You can also, if I remember, say "no" to the names he calls out also; just make sure you don't say anything when he asks for someone who's already in the house!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I think you can just type "open door" or "leave".

Tried that. Nope. But as you can tell, you can get lucky.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Like everything in life furries ruin everything

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Spudd posted:

Like everything in life furries ruin everything

Corey Cole once commented that people frequently ask him if he and Lori Ann are furries and according to him his response has been "No, but we're furry-compatible."

Shema's dance is notable in my mind for being responsible for a traumatic childhood event during which a friend's rather morally conservative mother ripped a 386 computer clear off the desk as we were watching. I was only eight years old or so at the time, but I remember a shriek of rage, a shove away from the computer, and suddenly nothing was on the monitor any longer. The computer was quickly sold. I do wonder if his mother survived the dawn of the Internet without suffering an aneurysm.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

raifield posted:

Corey Cole once commented that people frequently ask him if he and Lori Ann are furries and according to him his response has been "No, but we're furry-compatible."

Yeah, to be honest: I'm not shocked. Though I tried to emphasise that having a katta do a belly dance in the game is okay in context with the setting...

QFG3 gets a bit...weird with Rakeesh and his missus. Not to mention the leapordmen.

...I have been wondering about that.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Update!

Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzEMuHa3FH0
- Fire Elemental
- Julanaar
- Training Montage

As a heads up: School has started for this year and it's been a bit more intense than I expected. I'm gonna take a week's break or so to get back on top of things and then return to the semi-regular update schedule. Cheers for your patience :)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Omar is not a title, but the name of the poet. I think you may be able to talk to his companion or ask him about specific things, but you might have to wait until later to be able to do that.

You can't give the musician a dinar, although I think there are a few other people in the game who beg for a living and may accept dinars. The Hero is probably just concerned about what might happen if a poor Katta gets more money than he can cope with.

Finally, the meat merchants are Sloree and Scoree, obviously based on Lori and Corey Cole. They argue like a married couple when you bargain with them, too.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
What happened to the videos for QFG 2? I just came back to watch the three updates that I missed and they are all private now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

He is a teacher, he might have needed to re purpose his channel for work.

• Locked thread