Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hold on, if you stayed behind, how do you know this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How do you know the girls and Oswald didn't murder Oversson?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Hopeford posted:

Can I just say that I love that we reached the courtroom sessions because it's gonna make writing updates so much loving easier for me? :allears:

For organization's sake, I think it's better if people can only vote to press/object one statement at a time. I should edit the rules to make that a bit clearer haha. Edited the rules a bit. What should I count your vote towards? The first or the second? (Unknown Quantity's press goes on the second statement)

Then again, is there any reason NOT to press on every statement much like most ace attorney games?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Drakenel posted:

Then again, is there any reason NOT to press on every statement much like most ace attorney games?

Well Maskedgeworth will totally say mean words to you guys if you keep pressing points that aren't vital!

Nah, no reason not to. I'll change up the rules a bit next update, got an idea to let people press the poo poo out of things and still be fairly quick. For this coming update since everyone is mostly voting on different things I'm probably going to just count as if every statement was pressed unless someone suddenly finds a huge contradiction on the testimony and wants to go for a straight up Objection.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Drakenel posted:

When clowns or tigers are involved.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Guys, be kind to Abomination Judge. Radiation sickness can happen to anyone.

Press him on the 4th statement. I want to know more about the time where Overson was confirmed dead.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

Hopeford posted:

Can I just say that I love that we reached the courtroom sessions because it's gonna make writing updates so much loving easier for me? :allears:

For organization's sake, I think it's better if people can only vote to press/object one statement at a time. I should edit the rules to make that a bit clearer haha. Edited the rules a bit. What should I count your vote towards? The first or the second? (Unknown Quantity's press goes on the second statement)

Second statement.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

"Did you recognize the sound of the alarm?"

"Um...yeah. It's a pretty distinct sound and the radio it came from was pretty near my bed so...it woke me up."

"And you jumped out of bed...as if in a panic. Were you in that much of a hurry?"

"Yeah. I was. Considering how paranoid Overson has been acting lately...I guess I was almost expecting for him to die, you know?"

(Right, I can't forget that...Overson has been very paranoid lately.)

"How long did it take for him to break the lock?"

"About a minute or two. It was a very hard lock, but some bashing with his gun eventually did the trick. He, um, shot at it a couple times too but it didn't seem to do much. Bullets aren't efficient door openers it seems. He needed brute force in the end.

"Was the lock definitely intact at that time?"

"Yeah. I definitely tried to open it myself."

"..."

(It really seems as though the goddamn thing was locked at the time...)

"Oh, that's what they told me once they got back."

" 'Overson really is dead. Oswald stayed behind to see if he can figure out what killed him.' "

"A couple minutes later, before Balor arrived, Oswald came down and told us everything."

"Hmm....I see..."

(...! I forgot about Maskedgeworth!)

Have you forgotten already, Mr. Flamingo?

"The Dead Man's switch..."

"It was set to activate at the exact moment of Overson's death...and it was this alarm that woke up the witness."

"The witness then made his way to Overson's gate, which was still locked FROM THE INSIDE."

"Therefore...even without going upstairs, it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that Overson was already dead!"

"Oooooh! Your logic is very sound, Mr. Maskedgeworth."

"That's not necessarily true now, is it? That's only if the Dead Man Switch system was working as intended."

"Oh, this is rich. Do you have any evidence that it wasn't working as intended, Mr. Flamingo?"

"Well..."

(It doesn't seem like there are any contradictions here...this is beginning to drive me crazy.)

(...)

(What are you saying Dr. Ryder? There was a contradiction in there somewhere? But...how?)

(...)

(I see...so the numbers don't add up? I see. That should make things quite a bit easier. Thank you, Dr. Ryder!)

(...)

"Listen up!"

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 22, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: Press him further on the timeline. I keep reading the bit about the pressure plates - it sounds like if Oswald was off of them for more than 5 minutes, the alarm runs out of electricity? Its a bit vague to me. So we could match the number of minutes he spent in the tower and how long it took Balor to get there based on whether or not on if/how long the other alarms went off.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 22, 2016

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Wasn't Oswald supposed to be the one on the gate lock switch, not in bed that night? Everyone was partying.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Slaan posted:

Wasn't Oswald supposed to be the one on the gate lock switch, not in bed that night? Everyone was partying.

Warden is on the witness stand right now, not Oswald. Also, the party happened at sundown on the night of the murder, but the dead man's switch didn't go off until 2:12 am.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Four: Oswald, Lara, Warden & Jane

All five of us (not including Ed who I assume was not yelling at himself): Oswald, Lara, Warden, Jane, ???

One of Old Lady Jenkins or Jack Mendonza is unaccounted for.

Hopeford posted:

“Is there anyone who doesn’t have a collar in the settlement?”
“Aside from Overson himself? Jack Mendonza, our trader. But he was playing cards with old psycho lady Jenkins all night, so I doubt he could have done that.”
The only people that can corroborate their alibis are each other.

Considering Oswald is at the tower, the front door of the settlement is wide open...and Jack Mendonza is the only one without a slave collar & therefore capable of leaving through said door.

Also we found

just outside the door, which (presumably) Oswald would've seen somebody throwing over since he was stationed at the door.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I wonder what was meant by 'all night', though. Would they have really ignored the alarm to keep playing cards? I think that statement was just meant to signify that they were with each other during the night up until the incident. Otherwise, his statement of "I stayed behind to explain to the others, who were catching up" wouldn't make any sense. His statements more or less state that four people made it to the tower, followed by 'the others' (plural), followed by Ed Balor. So, at the time when Ed Balor is finally arriving, all six of the town members besides him should be there.

Essentially, I think the contradiction is that he said "all five of us" when there were supposed to be six. Similar to what you said, but yeah.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Echoing the "someone is unaccounted for" sentiment. Proving the possibility that someone else was unaccounted for for a length of time is the first step to getting Ed off the hook, for now at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I saw a screenshot from this LP in one of the randomized LP updates from the Sandcastle and it reminded me that this was a good effort-y thread and shouldn't die. :unsmith:

• Locked thread