Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mariana Horchata posted:

rodney dangerfield seemed like a great person irl and was one funny bastard.

another dead hero :rip:

meanwhile bill cosby is still alive and free to rape women

aw c'mon there's two legendary comedians in that pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
imho as a scrub millennial, any allure Bill Hicks had was lost on me because when I was 16 every edgelord internet comedy writer had already lifted his tenuously amusing persona and ground it into the floor so by the time I came across him in my 20s I was already burnt out on dudes being mad all the god drat time

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLGxWPtgodo

Rodney Dangerfield also gave us this masterpiece.
Steak and sex my favorite pair / I have them both the same way: very rare.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

aw c'mon there's two legendary comedians in that pic

oh no doubt but i just had to get the stupid tool liner note in there

iirc even ppl in the kkk are fans of red foxxx

also i own Rappin' Rodney on vinyl

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pretty soft girl posted:

imho as a scrub millennial, any allure Bill Hicks had was lost on me because when I was 16 every edgelord internet comedy writer had already lifted his tenuously amusing persona and ground it into the floor so by the time I came across him in my 20s I was already burnt out on dudes being mad all the god drat time

That's how I felt when I read catcher in the rye during the live journal era. It's like, been there done that dude. JD Salinger is def a pedophile though.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

JD Salinger is def a pedophile though.

Please elaborate.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

pants in my pants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLGxWPtgodo

Rodney Dangerfield also gave us this masterpiece.
Steak and sex my favorite pair / I have them both the same way: very rare.

Plus Rodney and Sam had a good scene together in Back to School.

https://youtu.be/9Hn9xAaKUbw

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Rodney Dangerfield was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2yH5YcK13s

"They think I'm Don Juan but after one I'm done"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Let me introduce you to this idea of when people don't talk serious, sometimes known as a joke.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

My Q-Face posted:

Well, coming from somebody who actually likes Bill Hicks...

People who stand on a stage to show the world how much smarter they are than everyone else while cloaked in a light veneer of comedy are unfunny cowards who are too afraid to state their opinion without having the "it's a joke man" to fall back on.

Irredeemable

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
"Well Suzy we have gusts of lead coming up sunset boulevard...."

Could have been last week with all the black guys getting shot.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hating Bill Hicks because you're sick of "edgy social commentary" comics is like hating Louis CK because you're sick of "I'm so old/fat/hateful/white" comics.

Perfectly justifiable, that is.

That said, I'd still take him over someone like Bill Burr, Doug Stanhope or Jim Jeffries. It's always the lowest hanging fruit with those guys.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 1, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Biomute posted:

Hating Bill Hicks because you're sick of "edgy social commentary" comics is like hating Louis CK because you're sick of "I'm so old/fat/hateful/white" comics.

That said, I'd still take him over someone like Bill Burr, Doug Stanhope or Jim Jeffries. It's always the lowest hanging fruit with those guys.

Louis CK is hispanic actually,

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Louis CK is hispanic actually,

grew up in mexico city even

i wonder if he's still fluent

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I think Bill Hicks is like movies that are influential and get copied a lot but you haven't seen them when they came out. Afterwards they are so done to death that the original loses it's edginess and you just shrug because of seeing everything already done by other people a million times.

Like Star Wars.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bill hicks screamed at a lovely heckling crowd that "hitler had the right idea, he was just an underachiever"

at a room full of already angry people, during the reagan administration

dude is a loving hero

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also in my experience like 3/4 of the people who don't find him funny are exactly the kind of consumerist office drones he loved to make fun of

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

also in my experience like 3/4 of the people who don't find him funny are exactly the kind of consumerist office drones he loved to make fun of

There are also the people (who already raised their hands in this thread) that can't understand human language and think he was actually homophobic and violent.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I think Bill Hicks is like movies that are influential and get copied a lot but you haven't seen them when they came out. Afterwards they are so done to death that the original loses it's edginess and you just shrug because of seeing everything already done by other people a million times.

Like Star Wars.

This is also true though. Same thing with Lenny Bruce and John Belushi. All hugely influential, revolutionary even, but had short careers and got overshadowed by the people they influenced.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEtMZh2exc

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Like Star Wars.

This is brilliant. I didn't see Star Wars until last year when I was 26 and i realized I already knew basically every line and scene from the movie from seeing it referenced ten thousand times in every conceivable piece of media in existance.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which one is it where bill hicks rages against the concept of gay marriage

or did netflix not put that one up for some reason

Jellidelic posted:

this is the post he'd want you to make

whoa

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm still not exactly sure what norm said about bill hicks. was it some subtle remark about how he thinks he's so important that he got pretend assassinated at the end? that's all i got
"Saying it's a shame Reagan wasn't dead is not a very good joke, in fact"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Unkie Dunkie is where it's at.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

bill hicks screamed at a lovely heckling crowd that "hitler had the right idea, he was just an underachiever"

at a room full of already angry people, during the reagan administration

dude is a loving hero

Yeah, that's hilarious and not at all lame and pathetic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
With Carlin even if you don't find him to be the funniest person alive you have to respect his craft. I think his stuff is kinda bland but I hold a lot of respect for him.

I don't see anything with Hick's stuff that says he was a genius like his fans claim to be. I have no respect for his craft.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hating good stuff is so cool. I'm looking forward to the inevitable blowjob backlash.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i feel like a solid 80% of the posters in this thread wear a trench coat

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Biomute posted:

comedians whose acts mostly consist of boring, shallow social commentary that isn't funny are not good

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

what you readin for

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are also the people (who already raised their hands in this thread) that can't understand human language and think he was actually homophobic and violent.

no you see while gay men are vile and disgusting heterosexual men find lesbians to be attractive

this "joke" works best as a punchline constructed around telling this to my nephew

but it's cool he was just a product of his time, after all

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

GET MY BELT SON posted:

what you readin for

click-click-click-click-click

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's really tragic how he died when he did and not 10 years earlier.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Whatev posted:

comedians whose acts mostly consist of boring, shallow social commentary that isn't funny are not good

but what if I'm an angry young man who sees my own angst reflected in these apparently articulate, self-confident men? surely if i feel strongly about something, it must mean it's good.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that's hilarious and not at all lame and pathetic.

Joined Dec 14, 2015

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Rush Limbo posted:

George Carlin pretty famously very rarely repeated material. Whenever he did a show, he would throw it out afterwards and write an entirely new one.

A lot of it had the same themes, I grant you, but it wasn't actually the same.

Carlin had an interesting career and was pretty much completely on the forefront of whatever comedy style was happening at the time. He did observational comedy before people even knew what it was, for example.

If you say you don't like anything Carlin's ever done I'm going to go ahead and say you have a terrible sense of humour since he's had such a wide career with such a mix of styles that the only way to not like anything he's done is to not understand the concept of humour.

I personally prefer his earlier to middle stages of his career which was very heavy in the observational stage.

I've heard this a lot recently and I think it comes from Louis CK or maybe Jon Stewart? He definitely re-used certain bits like "Place for my Stuff" and "Football vs. Baseball" at least on his comedy albums. Regardless, even when he was doing the angry man comic, he'd still make time to do goofy inane poo poo.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 2, 2016

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

With Carlin even if you don't find him to be the funniest person alive you have to respect his craft. I think his stuff is kinda bland but I hold a lot of respect for him.

I don't see anything with Hick's stuff that says he was a genius like his fans claim to be. I have no respect for his craft.

I basically agree Carlin was a genius and talent that Hicks wasn't. Carlins career was way more dynamic. He kept himself relevant forever and, even in Hick's main game of putting society through the looking glass, Carlin was able to resonate with way more people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Like I get that hicks was kind of an edgelord, the type of dick who's sexually frustrated because he thinks he's better than everyone after having picked up a book once in a while. I love him though, because I feel like his anger came from an honest feeling that we'd hit some kind of point of no return, and he was in mourning for the world that could have been. There's an earnest about him. That specifically is probably why I'm so gay for him, honestly.
As a comedian he has his betters, and his material can seem a little stale from being emulated by other comics, or because any introspective 10th grader nowadays could come to a lot of the same conclusions he did.

also, if you watch his stuff today and find it lame, that's only because the ball he helped get rolling is way past him now. A lot of his opinions have become common, or even less provocative than what a lot of people today think.
in the context of his time I really think he was the first to hit oil about a lot of things americans were feeling. the christian right was actually the oppressive establishment that your atheist coworker pretends it is. the war on drugs was newer and still favored in public opinion. new TV channels were being added constantly which meant unprecedented amounts of garbage programs and commercials. CNN had only just recently begun to turn TV news into what it's become today. MTV's influence on the music industry was at its peak. the rodney king riots just happened, back when black communities rioting about police brutality wasn't a monthly thing. Reagan and Bush's back to back presidencies were almost shameless about warmongering in the name of private interests.
then there's his straight-up :tinfoil: material about kennedy. Hicks wasn't the first person to comment on anything, but he's the first guy I know of that was able to charm a crowd well enough to get them to laugh while hearing assertions that our government killed a sitting president in broad day and lied about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I reckon before the internet government skepticism still had at least enough of a stink on it that keeping peoples noses open while you crack-wise about the kennedy assassination was impressive.

actually nvm i hate bill hicks because he thought he was smart and sometimes i see idiots think they're smart and im not an idiot which is why i don't think im smart

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I got into he Bill Burr specials. Holy hell, he's hilarious.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robokomodo posted:

I got into he Bill Burr specials. Holy hell, he's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Carlin is good. The "stuff" bit is nice but later on he became more like Bill Hicks IMHO with "The game is rigged" etc. etc. As for Bill Hicks not being talented, dude crawled out of his house at 16 or something to perform at comedy clubs in Texas for adult people. That sounds pretty talented to me.

As for the ranting, don't forget that he knew he had cancer and wanted to leave a lot of material. I think he couldn't bring up the patience with the audience knowing he was dying and he comes of as a ranting idiot.
His England stuff is more relaxed, the crowds also resonated better with him over there.

The stuff about Iraq and the "Farming equipment" and "Maggie's Rolodex to see who we can start a war with because the masses are restless" is brilliant.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 2, 2016

• Locked thread