Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
Lots of good advice in this thread, but not exactly anything you can pinpoint on what will work for yourself.

I've given hundreds of presentations for audiences as few as 5 and as many as 2000. I once fired 70 people at once.

Two simple points:

1) Tell a story. A story is much easier to tell and much simpler for both you and your audience to relate to. If you need to include technical and/or real tangible business or whatever aspects at least starting and ending with a story eases the burden of the communication barrier between both you and your audience.

2) Beta blockers. Talk to your doctor or at least go to urgent care and tell them that your heart goes crazy (please don't lie if it doesn't) and your sweat like a motherfucker when giving a presentation. Atenolol is one of the most harmless pharmaceuticals out there(when taken correctly). It prevents spikes in your heart rate due to increased stress (which is easily apparent to your audience when your voice waivers and "jiggles").

If I've been giving presentations all week and I have a good story to tell, presentations are easy. Also I have an extreme amount of experience. But when that fails or I think that may fail, I take 50mg of Atenolol or 100mg if I'm really nervous and then I seem like a stone cold mother fucker.

There are some other tips on public speaking - plant yourself, move throughout the room and plant yourself elsewhere when you get better, never read from the slides (I hate having anything other than a single phrase/picture/graph on a slide), and don't fumble with your keys or the laser pointer or whatever. I have a bad habit even after 20 years of public speaking of carrying a dry erase marker and snapping the cap on and off. Occasionally people will notice my nervous twitch and I'll pop the cap off the marker and give it a good sniff. "OOOOOOH that keeps me going".

Lastly - there is no substitute for experience. Failure is the first step to success. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
As young jeezy said...

I aint never scared, overprepared

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thathonkey posted:

public speaking is really easy for me which is perverse because i suffer from shockingly bad social anxiety in general like i have been putting off getting a haircut because i simply dont want to make small talk with my barber.

i don't generally enjoy making small talk with barbers and so when i go to get my haircut, i just don't, and they really don't mind (usually I go to a Russian anyway)

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Earwicker posted:

i don't generally enjoy making small talk with barbers and so when i go to get my haircut, i just don't, and they really don't mind (usually I go to a Russian anyway)

When I lived in VA there was an Asian barber who could barely speak English, they'd use a hot towel to get the hair off and everything, and did a good job overall; best part was not having to make small talk.

• Locked thread