Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Get her one of these. Works amazing and you are more likely to survive afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Burt Sexual posted:

So my *hot* wife has a back pack heater on and had ice earlier. She says a friend did a chrio and it worked. Need more linkable refutation asap.

E daddy needs an AV, not a summer home for a "Dr "

Read the gassed AMA from a SA retard chiropractor for some good links, or watch these compelling videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQfT9C5Adc&t=41s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gIgg00cyK0

Or you can get a friend to help you and try this at home!

(don't forget the towel it is important!)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

AugmentedVision posted:

I've had 4 shoulder surgeries, been in rehab after all of them (all of this is obviously with actual medical professionals), and done so much research on the subject of athletic injury prevention and management that there are probably very few people who aren't medical professionals who know more than me. I do not dismiss anything with a plausible mechanism of action -- there is simply no way to know if these things work or if they're placebo, and unfortunately due to the nature of them, you can't do a double-blind trial.

Goons with nowhere near this amount of knowledge or experience are dismissing poo poo with 100% confidence.

That said, I would be very nervous about some chiro violently cracking my back. My chiropractor doesn't do that, he does soft tissue work and very mild adjustments. Tell your wife to go to a real doctor or physical therapist.

N=1

Lmao, cupping

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Entorwellian posted:

Get her one of these. Works amazing and you are more likely to survive afterwards.

Is that a dildo or is it the space ship from Star Trek 4 that was looking for whales?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao "sure, there might be an overwhelming body of evidence that chiropracty is worthless but i've been to one and nothing bad happened to me" used as an argument unironically.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lmao "sure, there might be an overwhelming body of evidence that chiropracty is worthless but i've been to one and nothing bad happened to me" used as an argument unironically.
That's not what I said at all but I think you're talking to me? idgi

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

AugmentedVision posted:

That's not what I said at all but I think you're talking to me? idgi

The village astrologer told me that Saturn is misaligned with Mars and I should take preventative iodine-sulfur tinctures to prevent subluxations. However, the wizards at the city tower told me to instead have my clothing enchanted and to dance around inside a magic circle for twenty minutes. Do you think I should go for cupping instead? I wanted to, but I heard the actual therapist majored in necromancy.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

please knock Mom! posted:

The village astrologer told me that Saturn is misaligned with Mars and I should take preventative iodine-sulfur tinctures to prevent subluxations. However, the wizards at the city tower told me to instead have my clothing enchanted and to dance around inside a magic circle for twenty minutes. Do you think I should go for cupping instead? I wanted to, but I heard the actual therapist majored in necromancy.

"Causing local trauma to tissues in order to speed recovery in adjacent tissues" is not the same as "cracking your back cures your flu". It's the same exact concept as tool-assisted soft tissue work. Not provable because you can't do an RCT, but a perfectly plausible mechanism of action. And unlike cracking your back to cure the flu, cupping isn't gonna kill anyone.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

AugmentedVision posted:

"Causing local trauma to tissues in order to speed recovery in adjacent tissues" is not the same as "cracking your back cures your flu". It's the same exact concept as tool-assisted soft tissue work. Not provable because you can't do an RCT, but a perfectly plausible mechanism of action. And unlike cracking your back to cure the flu, cupping isn't gonna kill anyone.

Lol this is a joke. Cupping never kills? Okay, aside from the micro clot and dissection risks, or this very recent case in which a man ended up with permanent damage: clicky but hey he's not dead lol

You can do an rct, they'll just be negative. It's a stroke and infection risk, and it's mechanism of action ('detoxification' or causing bruising) is only plausible to suckers.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Entorwellian posted:

i put one of these in my rear end once

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
OP when I was younger I suffered from serious GI pain and my hippie mother, god bless her, decided a chiropractor would be the place to take me. The Chiro did some poking and prodding and made a reference to my Chi being out of whack in my gallbladder and that was that. A few years later the pain is so bad I convince my mom to take me to the hospital. I had Crohns disease and they admitted me the next day for surgery.

As an adult, the only reason I went to see a chiropractor was because if I got an adjustment my insurance would cover a massage as well. The massage helped way more.

Oh and once I went to an Acupuncturist for pain in my legs on a lark and left feeling way worse.

My wife has had some success but they just keep pushing to schedule you for another adjustment. It's a total racket.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Lol this is a joke. Cupping never kills? Okay, aside from the micro clot and dissection risks, or this very recent case in which a man ended up with permanent damage: clicky but hey he's not dead lol

You can do an rct, they'll just be negative. It's a stroke and infection risk, and it's mechanism of action ('detoxification' or causing bruising) is only plausible to suckers.

I'm guessing there's a differences between these cases (obviously Chinese hoodoo) and athletic trainers cupping Phelps' left trap because it's sore.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Any time somebody says "toxins" or "cleanse" in reference to some snake oil treatment I get unreasonably upset. Unless it's when my cousin says he's on a Whiskey cleanse during one of our trademark benders and then it's all laughs.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Even a hickey can kill if you're unlucky (or have a pre-existing connective tissue dysfunction you don't know about). You don't know poo poo about the human body.

So, astrology, wizards, or cupping? Please advise, the spirits are getting restless.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

AugmentedVision posted:

I'm guessing there's a differences between these cases (obviously Chinese hoodoo) and athletic trainers cupping Phelps' left trap because it's sore.

There's mma fighters who swear by their witch doctors or shamans. Coaches will do anything that even sounds the slightest bit legit. Bro, I'm sorry to break it to you, but it's bogus.

Btw the British queen uses homeopathy. Maybe that's legit too??

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
did you hear about homeopathy? they use nano treatments now which is the same thing as before but with the word nano added. that sounds very plausible to me because i am a smart man who has had surgery and not died.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

There's mma fighters who swear by their witch doctors or shamans. Coaches will do anything that even sounds the slightest bit legit. Bro, I'm sorry to break it to you, but it's bogus.

Yeah, I didn't know about the risks. I haven't had it done, I just thought it was the same as something like ART or Graston or any "soft tissue work" really in the sense that you can't prove anything about it statistically but there's lots of anecdotal evidence that they work and the mechanism of action is plausible. I guess it's much more firmly in the snake oil camp.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

What treatment was that?

A chair had collapsed under me one day [insert fat goon joke here] and I found I couldn't stand up, an ambulance had to come and get me. At the hospital they injected me with a muscle relaxant or something which got me walking, barely. I then had chronic and ongoing lower back pain. In just two or three sessions, a physiotherapist (physical therapist) without even an X-ray, just taking my history, identified the problem as me having a spinal disk half crushed on one side, and I'd unconsciously adjusted my posture to compensate for the disk damage. Some pertinent back muscles were too weak from me being a lazy sod.

The physio prescribed just a few minutes of home exercise a day, no equipment required, which fixed the problem. It hardly ever plays up at all now.

The physio also did a great job, using similar methods, when I contracted bad tennis elbow from tour cycling without sufficent fitness preparation first.

I have since mended my lazy ways.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 6, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah, I didn't know about the risks. I haven't had it done, I just thought it was the same as something like ART or Graston or any "soft tissue work" really in the sense that you can't prove anything about it statistically but there's lots of anecdotal evidence that they work and the mechanism of action is plausible. I guess it's much more firmly in the snake oil camp.

That's how this poo poo gets you. It looks harmless enough and then whoops second degree burn or infection or the nightmare scenario, a micro clot that gets somewhere important. It sounds logical at first (not the toxins that's stupid) but the body is really good at getting immune cells where they should be. Cupping wrecks capillaries which isn't gonna kill or seriously harm you, but those capillaries are also how immune cells travel to the more rural parts of your body. It's trash!!!!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

That's how this poo poo gets you. It looks harmless enough and then whoops second degree burn or infection or the nightmare scenario, a micro clot that gets somewhere important. It sounds logical at first (not the toxins that's stupid) but the body is really good at getting immune cells where they should be. Cupping wrecks capillaries which isn't gonna kill or seriously harm you, but those capillaries are also how immune cells travel to the more rural parts of your body. It's trash!!!!

Does this apply to something like Graston or is the damage caused by cupping of a different sort?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don't know what Graston does or claims to do. I know it's chiropractic and that makes me raise an eyebrow but I couldn't tell you. Subluxations don't exist, that's all I know.

The burn wounds on that man aren't exclusively heat inflicted, by the way. It's a combination of repeatedly bruising and heating the same bits of skin. Bruising skin isn't terrible, but bruising the same spot many times can cause it to, well, die. Of course you'll notice stuff first like blisters tho. But... Your cupper can probably make up a story about those blisters being pockets of disease leaving the body or whatever

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

the only cupping allowed should be of the balls variety

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Afaics Graston is what my mom does (massage therapy) with some kind of special equipment to get rid of adhesions and stuff. As long as they wash it you're unlikely to get yuge wounds like that Chinese dude lol

Srsly though check if they wash their equipment before and after. It's a red flag if they don't

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Afaics Graston is what my mom does (massage therapy) with some kind of special equipment to get rid of adhesions and stuff. As long as they wash it you're unlikely to get yuge wounds like that Chinese dude lol

Srsly though check if they wash their equipment before and after. It's a red flag if they don't

Yeah it's that, they really rough up your skin, and have a bunch of publications showing that afterwards there's increased fibroblast activity in the area or whatever (obviously, you just caused a bunch of local microtrauma). They then claim that that helps the underlying muscles and tendons recover. It makes sense.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 6, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Meh it's still just a claim. Just don't let them do blistered /weak skin etc. I mean you can cause microtrauma without scraping your skin with what looks like a butt toy

If you want stronger tendons and muscles the best way still is physical exercise, increased fibroblast activity in the skin and maybe two three layers underneath doesn't sound v helpful by itself. Massages own though, if it feels good just gfi

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 6, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

they've killed infants

who hasn't?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
US Chrios: Usually quacks. Maybe a couple good ones out there that don't buy into all the Chiro Board's bullshit, but they are kind of rare. Don't let anyone gently caress with your cervical spine aside from a Neurologist or an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Euro/Can/Aus Chiros: ??? Apparently well respected professions and follow medical model???

US D.Os: Actual trained MDs who take a few extra holistic classes. They are certified by the AMA just like M.D.s, take pretty much all the same classes M.Ds take in school, do all the same poo poo as M.Ds, and are just as qualified/inept as a typical M.D.

Euro/Can/Aus D.Os: Apparently quacks like Chiros are in the US.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Avalanche posted:

US Chrios: Usually quacks. Maybe a couple good ones out there that don't buy into all the Chiro Board's bullshit, but they are kind of rare. Don't let anyone gently caress with your cervical spine aside from a Neurologist or an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Euro/Can/Aus Chiros: ??? Apparently well respected professions and follow medical model???

US D.Os: Actual trained MDs who take a few extra holistic classes. They are certified by the AMA just like M.D.s, take pretty much all the same classes M.Ds take in school, do all the same poo poo as M.Ds, and are just as qualified/inept as a typical M.D.

Euro/Can/Aus D.Os: Apparently quacks like Chiros are in the US.

I want to know where ancient Chinese medicine falls in the model.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suggest a massage therapist instead. Costs about the same, much less likely to accidentally kill/paralyze her, and everyone enjoys a nice massage. Any actual benefits from a chiropractor can also be had from a massage therapist, without nonsense about moving your bones around. It can make you feel better for a few days, but won't actually cure anything, just like the best possible chiropractor. Still, when you are in pain relief right now is fantastic, and if a good massage once or twice a week increases her quality of life then it may be worth the money.

Or try a licensed physical therapist. Not as relaxing as a nice massage, but their treatments have some chance of actually making things better and stronger, leading to permanent improvement in the condition. But honestly back pain is a bit of a crap shoot. This generally isn't as pleasant as a massage though. My mom was getting PT after a car accident, and she often felt worse after the treatment than before. The therapist also made her use a treadmill or exercise bike for a few minutes at t a time to help build up her strength and mobility as part of her treatment, which was uncomfortable. It can be hard to get people to stick with effective but unpleasant treatments.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Op, have sex with your wife and see if that fixes it. If not, maybe some other guy will have the magic touch -you have to keep trying.

AugmentedVision posted:

That said, I would be very nervous about some chiro violently cracking my back. My chiropractor doesn't do that, he does soft tissue work and very mild adjustments. Tell your wife to go to a real doctor or physical therapist.
"I think my chiropractor is good, therefor chiropractors aren't bad good!" No, they're bad. They might mean well, but they're wrong about something that turns out to be actually dangerous to others to be wrong about.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 6, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

gary oldmans diary posted:

Op, have sex with your wife and see if that fixes it. If not, maybe some other guy will have the magic touch -you have to keep trying.
"I think my chiropractor is good, therefor chiropractors are good! Go see a chiropractor!"

You literally didn't even cut out the part of where I say the exact opposite

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

AugmentedVision posted:

You literally didn't even cut out the part of where I say the exact opposite
I was making fun of you. :ssh: Don't tell anyone! It's supposed to be a secret! I'm upset that even just you cracked the code.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wait, she has some arthritis? Chiropractic is especially bad for arthritis. Chiropractic claims to work because the spine is out of alignment, and pushing from the outside can somehow move the bones back into alignment. Arthrits makes your bones all knobby and rough. So even if chrio worked, it would be terrible for arthritis, because the bones aren't out of alignment, they are all rough and knobby, and trying to push them into alignment would just make they rub against each other and hurt more.

No kind of pushing can possibly do anything to make that better. Even acupuncture would be less useless than chiropractic.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Give your drat wife a good back massage and don't let her go get crippled, OP.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If you can physically manipulate your spinal column using just hand pressure why are bodybuilders/weightlifters not collapsing like a spaghetti and marshmallow skyscraper?

because it's bullshit :ssh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Justin Tyme posted:

If you can physically manipulate your spinal column using just hand pressure why are bodybuilders/weightlifters not collapsing like a spaghetti and marshmallow skyscraper?

because it's bullshit :ssh:

It's the weightlifting belt, duh.

Those belts are literally magic.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I own a belt. :smugdog:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

guys if we play our cards right I think we can convince augmentedvision to start taking colloidal silver

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Guys don't turn goons blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Burt Sexual posted:

Whoa, hickeys do make things better?

Well that would explain why my dick looks twenty years younger than the rest of me.

• Locked thread