Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

It isn't a conspiracy or far fetched that google wants to spread their own fiber across the world because it'll provide them with more data. Right now you opt in, but if they provide the fiber, they have everything. "I've seen it all"
is there any nudity in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

DeusExMachinima posted:

Also people in this thread are failing to distinguish between different types of AI. Siri and Cortana are weak, narrow AIs. Deep Blue is a narrow AI. They're very good at what they've been taught to do, but can't teach themselves new fields of expertise. Generally applicable self-learning AI would be huge though, although it carries some risks because it might be programmed to calculate pi and then convert all the Earth's mass into a hard drive to store more decimal places. Oops. Past general AI, you get a self-aware superintelligence which, if it is possible, will either find humans cute or erase us in the most one-sided fight ever seen.

Good, I hope we all die in a grey goo scenario that ends with a super powerful AI that's really good at drawing circles

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I'd be ok an AI killing us all as long as it kills TED talks too.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

gary oldmans diary posted:

is there any nudity in it?

This guy gets it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There'd have to be such a massive chain of fuckups to allow a computer program to somehow become skynet

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Zzulu posted:

Yeah A.I's are a cool fantasy

unfortunately they're just fantasy so far

we haven't achieved poo poo all in decades of trying. We're still doing preprogrammed robots and sensor controlled robots that cant do poo poo

The goal I think we're ignoring because it seems so inconceivable is general AI. Instead, we're programming "AI" for specific functions only. Maybe people hope that one day we can use AI alchemy by putting these all together, but I still think it would have a lot of missing functionality we'd expect a true AI to have. In theory, to have AI exceed human intelligence on all fronts, it would have to start off completely dumb and be able to learn by observing the real world with senses, and at the same time use a solid foundation for a neural network, and state-of-the-art computing power and storage.

e: Another huge challenge for general intelligence is how to create a reward system. What drives the AI to try at anything at all, and what output it gives is rewarding?

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 17, 2016

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The goal I think we're ignoring because it seems so inconceivable is general AI. Instead, we're programming "AI" for specific functions only. Maybe people hope that one day we can use AI alchemy by putting these all together, but I still think it would have a lot of missing functionality we'd expect a true AI to have. In theory, to have AI exceed human intelligence on all fronts, it would have to start off completely dumb and be able to learn by observing the real world with senses, and at the same time use a solid foundation for a neural network, and state-of-the-art computing power and storage.

At the moment we set limitations on learning (populate neural networks with selected material, only allow real world learning in specific time-frames), but if there were an intelligence that chose what to learn and when to learn it then it could very quickly get out of control. I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine a specific, state-of-the-art intelligence that manages to go off the rails.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

myDad posted:

At the moment we set limitations on learning (populate neural networks with selected material, only allow real world learning in specific time-frames), but if there were an intelligence that chose what to learn and when to learn it then it could very quickly get out of control. I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine a specific, state-of-the-art intelligence that manages to go off the rails.

Exactly. This point is partially made with my edit in the last post. It's really hard to imagine how to set an AI's goals, and its intelligence would greatly differ from a human's intelligence. We have millions of years of evolution that set a foundation for our behaviors, whether it has to do with sex, food, laughter, and anything that makes us happy, feel more comfortable or give us a feeling of achievement. How do you make an AI that differs from finding something interesting vs not?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Greg the neckbearded programmer will set the behavioral foundation for the supreme A.I

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Zzulu posted:

Greg the neckbearded programmer will set the behavioral foundation for the supreme A.I

So either a sex-crazed chat bot or Ulillillia's best friend.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

So either a sex-crazed chat bot or Ulillillia's best friend.

why not both??

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

myDad posted:

why not both??

Well it would have to change out of the "sex-crazed chat bot" personality if it was talking to Ulillillia, because he would be so opposed to it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

we probably haven't invented the type of programming language you'd need for real intelligence yet

I thought we'd fill it with all of dare's posts and go from there

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Feminasty Slut posted:

The only correct opinion.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what if we're the AI in a vast simulated universe

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
No John, you are the AI.

It's AI all the way down!!!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

VikingSkull posted:

what if we're the AI in a vast simulated universe

Since it is probably the best way to get a good general AI, this is probably the case. Oh well.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Can anyone recommend some books on the subject?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Can anyone recommend some books on the subject?

https://www.amazon.com/Space-Raptor...82%3AB00SF2MTYK

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I saw an ad for Watson and it was cool but scary!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Burt Sexual posted:

I saw an ad for Watson and it was cool but scary!

I loving hate all those commercials. They are so annoying and smug as hell, and they sensationalize Watson a lot more than it deserves to be.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I loving hate all those commercials. They are so annoying and smug as hell, and they sensationalize Watson a lot more than it deserves to be.

We are actually using it for a large govt project. In 2020, but they promised 80% self service in the chat, email, and voice channels. Lmao

Taking the place of 5000 agents, but it costs 10s of millions to license. Good racket.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I think we are a computer simulated copy of the real world. Some highly advanced being out there is running a history simulation to either develop ai or study something that happened in their past. This is why the double slit experiment thing exists. When you don't observe something it acts differently because the computer that's running us is saving processing power by taking shortcuts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
How long till Jeopardy, Go, and Chess are just epic rigs battling it out?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Smythe posted:

How long till Jeopardy, Go, and Chess are just epic rigs battling it out?

Hopefully never because that sound horrendously boring!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Burt Sexual posted:

We are actually using it for a large govt project. In 2020, but they promised 80% self service in the chat, email, and voice channels. Lmao

Taking the place of 5000 agents, but it costs 10s of millions to license. Good racket.

If it actually works to people's expectations (it won't), it will save you millions of dollars. However, like most stuff today, they'll end up using it anyway, and people will hate it, but the project will save them ton of money.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Watson is actually badass and destroyed jeopardy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pookum posted:

I think we are a computer simulated copy of the real world. Some highly advanced being out there is running a history simulation to either develop ai or study something that happened in their past. This is why the double slit experiment thing exists. When you don't observe something it acts differently because the computer that's running us is saving processing power by taking shortcuts.

im incredibly stupid and i just watched some computer generated professor talk about the double slit experiment presumably targeted at children whcih is good because thats my iq level and i find it very confusion, OP. ominous, even.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Stephen Hawking thinks AI will become a threat to humanity? If only he could have stopped by the SA forums we could have straightened all this out for him.

Dangerous AI: Just not in the cards folks!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Smythe posted:

im incredibly stupid and i just watched some computer generated professor talk about the double slit experiment presumably targeted at children whcih is good because thats my iq level and i find it very confusion, OP. ominous, even.

Just don't be sucked in from watching the clip from What The Bleep Do We Know?! because it is asinine pseudoscience bullshit.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

If it actually works to people's expectations (it won't), it will save you millions of dollars. However, like most stuff today, they'll end up using it anyway, and people will hate it, but the project will save them ton of money.

We have to spend tons of time "training" it too. So a lot of time money there. But the form is v simple and short, I just worry about the people that this will be people's first interaction with actual AI. Every citizen that calls will hit this thing, we expect 200 million interactions. A lot of "0" pushes to say the least. We still get billed for the interaction tho!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Smythe posted:

I don't understand why people can tell I'm acting and being fake and it pushes me to a state of violent rage because of my personal narcissism for this campaign. We've put billions of dollars into this cop simulation and we just can't tell why people treat us like poo poo when we make a mockery of them and impose inclusion by force.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I don't understand why people can tell I'm acting and being fake and it pushes me to a state of violent rage because of my personal narcissism for this campaign. We've put billions of dollars into this cop simulation and we just can't tell why people treat us like poo poo when we make a mockery of them and impose inclusion by force.

Wait what?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh I was being facetious, there wasn't a smiley for that.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Pookum posted:

Like occlusion culling applied to physics

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

myDad posted:

Like occlusion culling applied to physics

Everyone knows if you turn your head fast enough you'll see the reality slipping back into place

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm still kinda pissed that you couldn't side with Shodan in System Shock 2. Sure she's an evil ai that wants to become literally god. That's what I'd want to do if I was her.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pookum posted:

thats not a very accurate history simulation if the physics works differently. unless the universe that is simulating us is itself a simulation!? :psyduck:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Feminasty Slut posted:

More likely you'll get a Maximum Overdrive scenario where the sentient automobiles trap humans and force them to TED talk all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I'm still kinda pissed that you couldn't side with Shodan in System Shock 2. Sure she's an evil ai that wants to become literally god. That's what I'd want to do if I was her.

... Nah
*blam*

• Locked thread