Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
The best three cities are London, Rotterdam, and South Beach Miami

and Snype City bitch lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB9W8St1pDc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Some friends and I did the Glasgow sub crawl - buy an all day subway ticket and drink at each stop.
Glasgow is a desolate shithole once you leave the very centre.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Constantinople is likely a better city to visit for cool ruins and old buildings than Rome, but i would never go there the government of Turkey scares me :ohdear:

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Nyc is the best city in the world

Sorry everyone else

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Jacksonville

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quebec City, Quebec

- snobbish and insular enough to keep out the poors
- dependent enough on tourism that you'll still have a good time
- it's not too moon-languagey
- only walled city left in North America
- won't be owned by fat gently caress Trump in twelve hours

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Detroit has an excellent music scene. Particularly techno, house, and electronic. I think that puts it above most other American cities in terms of world rankings.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Toronto is not good but I like Montreal except for all the traffic bullshit.

NYC is probably one of my favourite places.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Speleothing posted:

Detroit has an excellent music scene. Particularly techno, house, and electronic. I think that puts it above most other American cities in terms of world rankings.

lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

WaryWarren posted:

my theory with euro cities is that if they are boring to visit (stockholm, copenhagen, munich, vienna) then they are great places to live. conversely, cities that are fun to visit (rome, florence, paris, edinburgh) would be a nightmare to live in. i lived in italy as well, so i can attest to the former.
I didn't think Munich or Vienna was really boring to visit, they were really fun. I suppose it depends on what you want to do and if it's just a "tick off top-10 popular things to see boxes" list then yeah, but I enjoy just going to random corner grocery stores and buying random poo poo and just wandering into random restaurants/bars and just riding transit to random places. Berlin was probably one of my favorites for that and people there were awesome.

I lived in Rome for a few months which is nothing compared to years on end, but I really really liked it, we stayed in the outskirts near Cipro instead of like Termini which probably helped. Definitely felt like a city you could really live in. Paris also felt like a very well lived in bustling city with really only a small portion of it being tourist-oriented like the Latin Quarter and stuff, but it's really loving huge city so it's easy to avoid that. I could see Florence being a nightmare since that's basically a tourist amusement park for sure.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Xaris posted:

I didn't think Munich or Vienna was really boring to visit, they were really fun. I suppose it depends on what you want to do and if it's just a "tick off top-10 popular things to see boxes" list then yeah, but I enjoy just going to random corner grocery stores and buying random poo poo and just wandering into random restaurants/bars and just riding transit to random places. Berlin was probably one of my favorites for that and people there were awesome.

I lived in Rome for a few months which is nothing compared to years on end, but I really really liked it, we stayed in the outskirts near Cipro instead of like Termini which probably helped. Definitely felt like a city you could really live in. Paris also felt like a very well lived in bustling city with really only a small portion of it being tourist-oriented like the Latin Quarter and stuff, but it's really loving huge city so it's easy to avoid that. I could see Florence being a nightmare since that's basically a tourist amusement park for sure.

Yeah of course a place isnt boring to you if you literally are content with going to grocery stores and "randomly taking transit"

Ive eaten at mcdonalds in florence it was nice

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I like Munich more than Berlin. It's a much prettier city. If i had to live in germany i think i'd choose Dresden, though, mostly for the cool rear end municipal picnic beer garden thing east of downtown. gently caress, you get on this ferry that spins around to the opposite bank and it's cool but no one neuters their dog in germany for some reason.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i haven't been anywhere in asia but i'd like to go, seems like a lot of fun party towns assuming you stick to the tourist areas

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Midland > big spring > Odessa > Stanton > West Odessa

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I live on Philadelphia and I like it. Pittsburgh is also a very nice place.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Nooner posted:

I say most every city and stand by it, Medford, Oregon is the only exception. It is a hell hole and the people there suck and deserve to live there.

LOLin @ Methford! EAt poo poo u bums!!!!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If you're into cold, grey, desolate, Soviet style cities, Ulaanbaatar is a great place.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jesus Christ posted:

agree with the first two but oklahoma is a black hole of awful and I don't understand why it's there other than proximity

:ssh: As a guy who has lived in both Oklahoma and Texas, the secret is Ok is indistinguishable from the shittier parts of Texas. Despite what either side may say.

If it helps, I think Dallas is leagues better than Tulsa.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Tulsa is essentially a singularity of meth labs so I don't think it counts as a municipal city though.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
now that all this election poo poo has happened

gently caress it, why not, i'm gonna move to ghent and get my masters

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

thing about Berlin is that clubs open at Thursday and they go nonstop without closing until Monday noon and theres 24/7 public transport and you can go to ten world-class clubs on one weekend, half of which are entirely secret and may or may not be illegal, and it has restaurants from literally every country in the world including north korea and it's too large, too empty and too ugly to even make sense as a normal world city, and that's kinda what it is and what you should know about it.
Lol if you go there for 'tourism' like an idiot.
Berlin is unique but I dunno if it's like really on a meaningful scale of anything, love it and hate it you're probably right

For Americans and anyone who has not been I think Paris is still pretty dope and so is Rome. Paris is even okay to live in (although there are quite a few annoyances). Never lived in Rome and wouldn't imagine it to be much fun.
Oh an Lisboa is really noice right now but I think for living i't would feel pretty small pretty quickly.

Edit: In USA, as I am a fan of the history, I like Boston and Philadelphia. New Orleans is cool&good. I thought San Antonio was enjoyable, but those are not world cities. LA sucks. San Francisco is good but not really in the sense of city like Europe. Didn't go to NYC tho.
Edit2: Didn't like London.
Edit3: Liked living in Istanbul overall but currently not a prime location tbh and you gotta have the moneys.

Dreddout posted:

:ssh: As a guy who has lived in both Oklahoma and Texas, the secret is Ok is indistinguishable from the shittier parts of Texas. Despite what either side may say.

If it helps, I think Dallas is leagues better than Tulsa.

Dallas has a Mall, while OKC has a really sad River thing and a obnoxious memorial.
I lived in Oklahoma and often went to North&West Texas and I like a lot about etc. etc. but in a thread of world cities it's really out of place.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 9, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also in berlin there's a couple parks you can get drugs from fairly easily and without hassle it's p sweet

london sucks

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
north end > east end > west end (rip)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Why all this chicago hate it's loving beautiful.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

In Canada I liked Vancouver before we won the Olympic bid in 2001, after that foreign money flowed in and destroyed the culture of this city, maybe that started a bit before when Hong Kong reverted back to China back in 97, but the Olympics is when it really came home. Montreal is nice and cool and good except if you drive.

In the US I like Philly, it has a lot of history in it (as noted above) and while not being particularly beautiful there are lots of things to do and see. It's kind of like a small New York. I have only spent a couple of days in New York and it was impressively huge. I also like Portland but I haven't been in almost 10 years, I like Oregon state as a whole. It's probably my favourite state to visit.

I spent half a summer in Zrich and it's an amazingly pretty city, as are the other cities in Switzerland I visited with lots of culture and scenery, but I couldn't understand Schweizerdeutsch. I thought I just wasn't able to understand German anymore until a friend's friend who had been living in Germany for 20 years came by and spoke Hochdeutsch. Ieper in Belgium is interesting and has a lot to do if you're into WW1 history but definitely knows where its tourism dollars come from and it caters to the Brits who are everywhere. The bar across the street from the apartment we had rented had 300 different Belgian beers, and I turned to my friend when I saw that and said: "This is where I die."

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
congo city
atlantis
atlanta
little netherlands (pensylavania)
slumtown precinct

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Bellingham WA is so cool that I really have no business living here, it's pretty annoying sometimes.

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun
Dubai is the worst, there's pretty much nothing to do there unless you like golfing and walking through unnecessarily huge malls. There aren't even any regular bars, you have to go to a hotel bar to drink. there are an abundance of south African and Russian prostitutes tho...so that's cool...

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
Ranking cities I've lived in, but kind of meaningless given the time scale

New York
Hong Kong
Melbourne
Buffalo, New York
Seattle
Jakarta
Bangalore
Hanoi
Townsville, Queensland
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Sharjah

XVIII
Jul 11, 2007
londish by injection

Benagain posted:

Why all this chicago hate it's loving beautiful.

It's great to visit, but a horrible place to live, especially if you have a car.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the good posts about Berlin on this page are true, I live here and it's like paradise. It's getting more and more gentrified of course and everyone want to live here now, but it's still the best.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mikerock posted:

In Canada I liked Vancouver before we won the Olympic bid in 2001, after that foreign money flowed in and destroyed the culture of this city, maybe that started a bit before when Hong Kong reverted back to China back in 97, but the Olympics is when it really came home. Montreal is nice and cool and good except if you drive.

Vancouver's self destruction had nothing to do with the olympics.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Amsterdam, Florence and Sydney are cool to visit. Dublin is cool if you meet Irish. London is fun as gently caress.

Paris was cool to live in but Parisiennes are assholes, whole city is beautiful tough.

Miami, Baltimore and NYC sucks, Seattle, Boston, Pittsburgh and Denver are sweet.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
Nashville is surprisingly cool

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Des Moines, Iowa > Seattle > Seoul > Tokyo

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Jastiger posted:

Des Moines, Iowa > Seattle > Seoul > Tokyo

"A friend of the family is not fit to marry, to associate, or vote with me or mine."

"I would not if I could abolish or modify slavery."

"The more Indians we can kill this year the fewer we will need to kill the next. Their attempts at civilization is ridiculous."

William Tecumseh Sherman
Jastigers Hero

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Jesus Christ posted:

"A friend of the family is not fit to marry, to associate, or vote with me or mine."

"I would not if I could abolish or modify slavery."

"The more Indians we can kill this year the fewer we will need to kill the next. Their attempts at civilization is ridiculous."

William Tecumseh Sherman
Jastigers Hero

what kind of neat horrible things can we dig up in the new testament

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Dave_Indeed posted:

Tampa is like slightly better than Baltimore.

I think we can all agree that Baltimore is the worst city in the history of man kind.
I used to think that too but then I spent time in Paterson, NJ.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gazpacho posted:

I'm not otaku but Tokyo seems seriously cool

I live here and it's not and yet also is at the same time

It'd be great if summer didn't exist and all the Japanese people disappeared in a Night of the Comet-style rapture exodus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

not many votes for Melbourne, which is silly because Melbourne owns bownes

• Locked thread