Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Martin shrkeli for sec of hhs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

fun concept: donald j trump department of justice

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Peel posted:

since turnout was high I don't think blaming clinton works that well, people actively wanted trump

i'm sure there'll be plenty of data to sift but the 'white reaction' argument feels better to me as a first approximation

Turnout was not high. Romney got more votes than Trump.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Karl Barks posted:

fun concept: donald j trump department of justice

another: donald j trump has an unaccredited university that he can accredit via the department of education

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Martin shrkeli for sec of hhs
:lol: can't be sec if it's gone

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

another: donald j trump has an unaccredited university that he can accredit via the department of education

guess he might not scrap it after all

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

another fun concept: commander in chief of the most powerful army in the world, donald j trump

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ahhh my bad these aren't actually concepts, they're real

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Turnout was not high. Romney got more votes than Trump.

i keep getting conflicting reports on this so i guess i'll wait for the dust to settle

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/keion_tv/status/796339067805986816

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Before I take some time off from this forum so I can properly go through improving MYSELF, can I ask:
1. Are federal programs such as WRP and certain thinktanks going to be slashed?
2. Holy gently caress that victory speech. Is trump truly meaning what he's saying or is this a hope spot?
3. Does Trump still need to cater to his base now that he's basically won the election and gotten what he's wanted? Or can he do as he pleases and be more centrist?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Before I take some time off from this forum so I can properly go through improving MYSELF, can I ask:
2. Holy gently caress that victory speech. Is trump truly meaning what he's saying or is this a hope spot?
3. Does Trump still need to cater to his base now that he's basically won the election and gotten what he's wanted? Or can he do as he pleases and be more centrist?

Nobody knows

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Reminder:

quote:

Even at age twelve I could tell that Jimmy Carter was an honest man trying to address complicated issues and Ronald Reagan was a brilcreemed salesman telling people what they wanted to hear. I secretly wept on the stairs the night he was elected President, because I understood that the kind of shitheads I had to listen to in the cafeteria grew up to become voters, and won. I spent the eight years he was in office living in one of those science-fiction movies where everyone is taken over by aliens—I was appalled by how stupid and mean-spirited and repulsive the world was becoming while everyone else in America seemed to agree that things were finally exactly as they should be. The Washington Press corps was so enamored of his down-to-earth charm that they never checked his facts, but if you watched his face when it was at rest, when he wasn’t performing for anyone, you could see him for what he really was—a black-eyed, slit-mouthed, lizard-faced old son-of-a-bitch. He was a bad actor, an informer for McCarthy, and a hired front man for a gang of Texas oilmen, fundamentalist dingbats, and right-wing psychotics out of Dr. Strangelove. He put a genial face on chauvanism, callousness, and greed, and made people feel good about being bigots again. He likened Central American death squads to our founding fathers and called the Taliban “freedom fighters.” His legacy includes the dismantling of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal, the final dirty win of Management over Labor, the outsourcing of America’s manufacturing base, the embezzlement of almost all the country's wealth by 1% of its citizens, the scapegoating of the poor and black, the War on Drugs, the eviction of schizophrenics into the streets, AIDS, acid rain, Iran-Contra, and, let’s not forget, the corpses of two hundred forty United States Marines. He moved the center of political discourse in this country to somewhere in between Richard Nixon and Augusto Pinochet. He believed in astrology and Armageddon and didn't know the difference between history and movies; his stories were lies and his jokes were scripted. He was the triumph of image over truth, paving the way for even more vapid spokesmodels like George W. Bush. He was, as everyone agrees, exactly what he appeared to be—nothing. He made me ashamed to be an American. If there was any justice in this world his Presidential Library would contain nothing but boys' adventure books and bad cowboy movies, and the only things named after him would be shopping malls and Potter's Fields. Let the earth where he is buried be seeded with salt.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Grouchio posted:

who loving knows anymore dude

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

reagan -> w -> Donald J. Trump

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

4. Can I at least take solace in the fact that my state of Maine has voted to increase minimum wage and transportation bonds, allow rank-choice voting, and is slated to possibly legalize marijuana and increase taxes on the wealthy for education?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm not so much concerned about myself as I am so deeply concerned for the most vulnerable in our country, who are now even more vulnerable in the fact of President DJT. Obamacare dead. SC conservative for a generation to come. NATO falling away to Russian aggression. Heck, if DJT lost his re-election, he might go back to the RIGGED POLLS routine and this time, he'll have the weight of the Presidency behind his words. Countless more will be disenfranchised as voting laws become infinitely more strict as the federal government fails to challenge them. Countless more will die, their deaths in vain as they are simply cast away as "bad people" who certainly deserved in some way the deaths they got. Sure, we survived 8 years of GWB (barely!!) but he was sane in comparison to what we have now. And at least W. wasn't backed by the most deplorable elements of our country.

But I guess I have a few reasons to worry about myself too. I'm not white, and I'm not well off. I'm drowning in debt and my future is still in the works. I don't live in a conservative shitheel state though, and on the local level at least I will survive. I guess that's some privilege that I have compared to those who don't share as many of the benefits that I have just from that. As I stated during my late night meltdown on some mod thread, I hope now that accelerationism is real and that it doesn't kill so many people in the process, because there is nothing else left.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grouchio posted:

4. Can I at least take solace in the fact that my state of Maine has voted to increase minimum wage and transportation bonds, allow rank-choice voting, and is slated to possibly legalize marijuana and increase taxes on the wealthy for education?

Marijuana legalization is dead dude, the only thing keeping the states from voting it in was Obamacare telling the Feds not to act and lol at that happening now.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I told you so. :smug:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
can't wait till all you sad brain hillary supporters are banned! hahahaha

ALL HAIL THE KING!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

logikv9 posted:

I'm not so much concerned about myself as I am so deeply concerned for the most vulnerable in our country, who are now even more vulnerable in the fact of President DJT. Obamacare dead. SC conservative for a generation to come. NATO falling away to Russian aggression. Heck, if DJT lost his re-election, he might go back to the RIGGED POLLS routine and this time, he'll have the weight of the Presidency behind his words. Countless more will be disenfranchised as voting laws become infinitely more strict as the federal government fails to challenge them. Countless more will die, their deaths in vain as they are simply cast away as "bad people" who certainly deserved in some way the deaths they got. Sure, we survived 8 years of GWB (barely!!) but he was sane in comparison to what we have now. And at least W. wasn't backed by the most deplorable elements of our country.

But I guess I have a few reasons to worry about myself too. I'm not white, and I'm not well off. I'm drowning in debt and my future is still in the works. I don't live in a conservative shitheel state though, and on the local level at least I will survive. I guess that's some privilege that I have compared to those who don't share as many of the benefits that I have just from that. As I stated during my late night meltdown on some mod thread, I hope now that accelerationism is real and that it doesn't kill so many people in the process, because there is nothing else left.

Same boat, but dewelling in red state hick Hell, so I know that the Republicans will do everything in their power to ruin me so that they can give more money to rich whites while poor whites cheer their evil on mindlessly.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I wanted to share my facebook status with ya'll. It's been a hell of a ride

To all the Trump supporters on my facebook, there's too many to tag but you know who you are. This is my blanket apology, I was so very wrong and I will now accept your "i told you so"s. I deserve it. I didn't vote for him yesterday. Literally every poll, newspaper, pundit, everything I rely on for information was wrong.
Trump winning PA is the biggest upset in a night of upsets, we unseated a republican governor 2 years ago, and 3 democrat judges won statewide last year. Romney and McCain couldn't win here, President Bush couldn't win here...Trump did.
I don't know what kind of president Trump will be, I have alot of reservations about many of his policies, his behavior as a role model for my son and his habit to tweet insults at 3 AM, but it's happening. Who knows, maybe he will be remembered as an amazing president and win a 1984 relection landslide in 4 years, maybe America really will be made great again? I have no idea, we're flying blind here. Anyway, congrats to the new president, nothing left to do now but to sit back and enjoy Mr Trump's wild ride.

Today we are all shook Nate, me more literally then most of you but still.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Secretary of the Interior Sarah Palin

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Do you think we'll still be able to tweet directly at him and get him all riled up?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Peel posted:

i keep getting conflicting reports on this so i guess i'll wait for the dust to settle

Well Romney ended up with 60,933,504 and Trump is currently 59.1 million but more will be added. Romney just ran into Obama is awesome turnout and Trump got to beat up on Hillary is probably 10% a demon.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elephanthead posted:

Well Romney ended up with 60,933,504 and Trump is currently 59.1 million but more will be added. Romney just ran into Obama is awesome turnout and Trump got to beat up on Hillary is probably 10% a demon.

Kerry got 59M in 2004 (against Bush's 62M), so I think it's safe to say that turnout was not high.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Early democratic voting just moved Election Day voting most people gave no shits.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

we could never have predicted how powerful memes would become....

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I don't like politics anymore.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Kerry got 59M in 2004 (against Bush's 62M), so I think it's safe to say that turnout was not high.

Turnout will end up surpassing 2012. Lots of uncounted votes in CA. We're already to ~123 million votes cast, compared to 128 million last cycle, and that number will probably grow to 130 mil. Remember that over 6 million people voted 3rd party, vs about 2 million four years ago.

Trump will end up right around Romney's 61 million.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

we could never have predicted how powerful memes would become....

Obama was elected because of the memes and all the attention he got.

Meanwhile Trump hogged all the attention this year.

Maybe we should've learned.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
made small talk with my major professor, who is also shook

defense went well

coincidence???

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Many people at work went to bed without knowing results

How can this be

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Trump's Healthcare plan is even worse when you look at the plan for Medicaid. Block Granting is going to be AWESOME! Yeah! No more flexible funding that can adapt to need. If your block of funding for the program isn't enough to cover all the little kiddos your rural constituents squeeze out, you can just dip into your State's general fund, right? Right? Oh wait, not going to happen, they'll cut services and payment rates first!

All these people that complain about not having doctors in their communities anymore are going to get even more screwed when the few rural hospitals/clinics left have to squabble EVEN HARDER over the shrinking payment rates.

Oh and that's not even looking at mental health closely...Make America Great Again by committing suicide because you can't find a therapist within driving distance!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Having had many rural whites as clients, they survive in Medicaid and Medicare. So lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Confounding Factor posted:

Anyway I liked Trump's victory speech, he makes it seem things won't be so bad. I know better but I gotta find hope where I can.
It sounded not so bad, but then he introduced all those swell people like Rudy, Christie, Reince, Sessions etc. a.k.a. the same old faces of the GOP.

e:

COCKSURE posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/who-is-in-president-trump-cabinet-231071

check out the cabinet!

its gonna own having a climate denier run the epa
Yeah... :yikes:

frankenfreak has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Nov 9, 2016

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Trump's Healthcare plan is even worse when you look at the plan for Medicaid. Block Granting is going to be AWESOME! Yeah! No more flexible funding that can adapt to need. If your block of funding for the program isn't enough to cover all the little kiddos your rural constituents squeeze out, you can just dip into your State's general fund, right? Right? Oh wait, not going to happen, they'll cut services and payment rates first!

All these people that complain about not having doctors in their communities anymore are going to get even more screwed when the few rural hospitals/clinics left have to squabble EVEN HARDER over the shrinking payment rates.

Oh and that's not even looking at mental health closely...Make America Great Again by committing suicide because you can't find a therapist within driving distance!!!

Finally, a politician is doing something about all these drat people everywhere.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
lol

just lol. at everything.

lmao

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"
We now live in a world where Bill Mitchell and Dillbro were right, and Donald Trump is the President

Hell open up that Event Horizon space hell-portal 2016 why not poo poo's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

COCKSURE posted:

its gonna own having a climate denier run the epa America

• Locked thread