Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

apparently r/shitredditsays was created by a former lf poster, which makes sense because they're insane and have this weird obsession with proselytizing where they're not wanted, then laughing at the unwashed behind their backs when they keep saying the wrong things. also because much of them were ex-helldump

other things created by goons that took off elsewhere without lowtax making a dime off of: Welcome to Nightvale, the awesome face. as much as i still love this site, lowtax is a horrible businessman

how exactly would he have made money off of other people making content and also posting it on this website? He didn't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Police Automaton posted:

are new posters only re-regs at this point?

I'm not, I just lurked here since the year 2000 and finally decided that I needed to post about important GBS topics.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Psycho Society posted:

how exactly would he have made money off of other people making content and also posting it on this website? He didn't do anything.

How does escapist or whatever the site is called make money off of Yahtzee making his dumb video game reviews? How do like a million nerds make money by playing video games for a million other nerds?

It's probably not a coincidence that SA hasn't changed for 2 decades and also isn't as profitable as it used to be. Now I'm a bitter old man so I appreciate that there's a place online that hasn't changed, but bitter old nerds isn't much of a business model.

Night Pay
Nov 22, 2016

by Smythe
Maybe the whole rest of the internet just got a lot worse? :shrug:

Plausible

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

BexGu posted:

Much like Helldump the crazies got into a feedback loop and became worse then what they were mocking. They got obsessed with reddit so much srs became reddit and became a insane click of posters.

Look at it this way: Lowtax is the disappointed alcoholic dad of the internet. Weird twitter, SRS, Lets Play, 4chan, Total Biscuit, Yahtzee, Slenderman are all people/things that where kicked off/left SA at one point only to get famous else where.

I mean what happened to SA but I guess this was partially answered. I guess there are just different groups of posters

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this forum has been dead and gay for a lot longer than you guys realize, i think

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

walgreenslatino posted:

Myspace still has wayyyyy more users than SA
but.. how..?
:negative:

marijuanamancer posted:

this forum has been dead and gay for a lot longer than you guys realize, i think
true, good thing i'm here to save it.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's dying and the lights will go out with the very last goon smug with pride that every pronoun and aspect of sexuality and diversity was thoroughly moderated

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

nice new name!

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Psycho Society posted:

Didn't he????

Look at the worldwide popularity of mangosteen juice

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Literally A Person posted:

I'm not, I just lurked here since the year 2000 and finally decided that I needed to post about important GBS topics.

Yeah, where can I find it?

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I like that SA stays more niche. Makes it less of a target for interest groups flooding social media with ad/propaganda campaigns.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWRJxKpBHJk

The gay boys are back in gay town!

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

R-Type posted:

It's dying and the lights will go out with the very last goon smug with pride that every pronoun and aspect of sexuality and diversity was thoroughly moderated

It's the exact opposite you dense gently caress

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I know that graph can't be true just because of the normal posting frequency of what I was used to when I refresh the list of threads in different forums.

Also, the front page is a ghost town and the front page discussion forum has nothing but a trickle of replies throughout a month's time. I posted a thread there by mistake more than month ago, closed it, and it's still on the first page.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Poland Spring posted:

It's the exact opposite you dense gently caress

its both

the trend is the internet as an affirming echo chamber, a comfy cocoon. the general open forum model is dying because it runs counter to this. sa is simultaneously too left, too right, and too center. its not curated and customized and that makes it fundamentally abrasive compared to the internet in general nowadays.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I know that graph can't be true just because of the normal posting frequency of what I was used to when I refresh the list of threads in different forums.

Also, the front page is a ghost town and the front page discussion forum has nothing but a trickle of replies throughout a month's time. I posted a thread there by mistake more than month ago, closed it, and it's still on the first page.
the last time the front page was talked about was when president baby kept crapping out terrible articles and everyone hated them. i'm pretty sure the reason why he stopped was because he suggested lowtax go on a podcast run by a friend who's some manosphere loser, which he did, and it was terrible

the front page was what got me into this website in the first place

SickZip posted:

its not curated and customized and that makes it fundamentally abrasive compared to the internet in general nowadays.
did you mean to write this sentence about twitter?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

R-Type posted:

It's dying and the lights will go out with the very last goon smug with pride that he sure showed those darn Es Jay Double Ewes

Fixed

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

the last time the front page was talked about was when president baby kept crapping out terrible articles and everyone hated them. i'm pretty sure the reason why he stopped was because he suggested lowtax go on a podcast run by a friend who's some manosphere loser, which he did, and it was terrible

Even weirder now that the people who write for the front page get paid and the mods don't.

the front page was what got me into this website in the first place

Same here, but it took me something like 6 years after reading the front page in 1999/2000. Most people wish it was longer.

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
SA doesn't need quantity, it just needs quality.

Post boldly, comrades.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

Post boldly, comrades.

Okay, now what?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

Post boldly, comrades.

It's puns like this that keep SA relevant!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SickZip posted:

its both

the trend is the internet as an affirming echo chamber, a comfy cocoon. the general open forum model is dying because it runs counter to this. sa is simultaneously too left, too right, and too center. its not curated and customized and that makes it fundamentally abrasive compared to the internet in general nowadays.
Good, the internet can suck my drat dick and balls.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

suck my drat dick

:krust:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Even weirder now that the people who write for the front page get paid and the mods don't.

there mod in a qcs thread getting incredibly offended at the suggestion that perhaps he should be somehow compensated for all the time he puts into the site

that was weird, almost like some form of Stockholm's

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

did you mean to write this sentence about twitter?

twitter you can pretty effectively curate your feed by following folks who espouse The Right Opinions and blocking anyone who shitposts in your general direction

on a forum there's not much more you can do than block a user and beg mods to probate them when people who aren't you engage them in discussion, making their posts visible to you anyways.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

twitter you can pretty effectively curate your feed by following folks who espouse The Right Opinions and blocking anyone who shitposts in your general direction

on a forum there's not much more you can do than block a user and beg mods to probate them when people who aren't you engage them in discussion, making their posts visible to you anyways.
it's a lot easier to assemble a posse against wrongthink on twitter than it is here

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

alpaca diseases posted:

there mod in a qcs thread getting incredibly offended at the suggestion that perhaps he should be somehow compensated for all the time he puts into the site

that was weird, almost like some form of Stockholm's
It just creates a bunch of issues. Mods have to have a contract, there's legal issues involved, tax crap. Nobody wants to deal with that

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

it's a lot easier to assemble a posse against wrongthink on twitter than it is here

different sorta thing

it's not so much abrasive in that it's actively abusive, it's abrasive because there's no effective way of filtering content. you're presented with forums users' hot takes and the most you can do is block them or leave the thread. you can't completely remove them from your web experience like you can with other sites or nanny your way to a subforum where a thousand users think and act the exact same

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

It just creates a bunch of issues. Mods have to have a contract, there's legal issues involved, tax crap. Nobody wants to deal with that

That's what under the table pay is for. Once a month Lowtax discretely slips an unmarked envelope under your door, and Uncle Sam is none the wiser.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marijuanamancer posted:

it was always dead and gay

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

different sorta thing

it's not so much abrasive in that it's actively abusive, it's abrasive because there's no effective way of filtering content. you're presented with forums users' hot takes and the most you can do is block them or leave the thread. you can't completely remove them from your web experience like you can with other sites or nanny your way to a subforum where a thousand users think and act the exact same
if seeing a single terrible poster's quoted post for 5 seconds is so traumatizing to you instead of just skipping over anyone responding to them, perhaps this forum and internet forums in general aren't for you. have fun on your abusive microblogging site that never punishes horrible people

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

different sorta thing

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
drat coddled millenials. *grumble*

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

holy crap i forgot about this thread

dadada123
Sep 3, 2014

I just joined this fourm

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

xemu posted:

I just joined this fourm

Sir, you been in a coma for three years.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

if seeing a single terrible poster's quoted post for 5 seconds is so traumatizing to you instead of just skipping over anyone responding to them, perhaps this forum and internet forums in general aren't for you. have fun on your abusive microblogging site that never punishes horrible people

You've succinctly explained the demise of this and other forums in general.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

I've been posting on these dead gay forums for darn near five years and if this is gay death, then turning 30 can't be so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

That's what under the table pay is for. Once a month Lowtax discretely slips an unmarked envelope under your door, and Uncle Sam is none the wiser.

Lol if you think lowtax can afford to pay his volunteer employees anything

• Locked thread