Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Dragon Ball Super Owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
And with that, we begin the stream.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 25

Update 25 Video

Our infiltration into Isla's secret jungle village continues, only now we're actually defending a barrier from monster hoards. They've learned to use heavy artillery, so we've got to continually knock out the operators of the machinery while going back to the gate every time things get hairy. Monster medals can only do so much in this situation so it's actually quite a challenge. When it's all said and done medals of a different type come into play, as we can now afford something worthwhile from the mini-medal shop.

Scalding Coffee posted:

DBGT ends up being and looking better than Super. Too fanfic-y and each episode now counts as two real-time minutes for the 48 minute tournament.

Seriously, they don't have hair/beards. The hair/beards have them. And a 24 episode tournament arc? That's... well, that's Dragon Ball Z actually but it's still insane.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

ddegenha posted:

Seriously, they don't have hair/beards. The hair/beards have them. And a 24 episode tournament arc? That's... well, that's Dragon Ball Z actually but it's still insane.

Neither of those images are from Super fyi

And who cares how long the tournament is (it's more of a Royal Rumble) if it's awesome (which it is)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is more like 50 episodes for that arc. Half of them are for gathering the people that were displayed on the opening credits, so no spoiler there. The tournament itself is almost halfway done.

The level bar you had seems to have glitched and gave you half the XP for killing a Liquid Metal, that later gave you the rest after you killed some monsters. I did notice that your minions emote a cheer when they kill something, but generally the giants made the kills.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The "big brother" nature of Yangus is irrepressible.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 26

Update 26 Video

We've finally reached the village, and it kind of looks like Tristram from Diablo III. There's a couple residents who remember Isla, and they're in desperate need of our help before the monsters kill them all. Isla finally does some explaining, and then we've got two bosses to fight while they try to destroy the tree we're here for.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The level bar you had seems to have glitched and gave you half the XP for killing a Liquid Metal, that later gave you the rest after you killed some monsters. I did notice that your minions emote a cheer when they kill something, but generally the giants made the kills.

I didn't notice that glitch, but that's kind of interesting. And yes, the emote from the monsters is great. They're just so happy when they're wreaking havoc.

Glazius posted:

The "big brother" nature of Yangus is irrepressible.

We might not be his guv, but to him that doesn't matter.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nothing like taking a neutral stance like weakening one side to strengthen another.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
So, if the Mediators are supposed to be maintaining "the balance", wouldn't their being the caretakers of Yggdrasil be a bit of a contradiction as that keeps the darkness suppressed? And for that matter just what have they been doing with themselves if any possibility of balance was completely wrecked with the start of the war between the Goddess and the Dark Dragon all those years ago?

I mean, usually they aren't this blatant about "balance" being a meaningless concept in these situations.

ddegenha posted:

We might not be his guv, but to him that doesn't matter.
He knows what the guv would do, and that's enough for him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good thing the killing machines haven't fixed their weakness to Zap or we'd have been proper fileted.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 27

Update 27 Video

The only thing left between us and the dew is Isla's grandmother, so it looks like we're going to have to beat up a senior citizen... or maybe not. We've got a bunch of new equipment and are thus flat broke, but we're going to need it all because now we have to climb back to the top of Yggdrasil to set things right. The monsters have actually gotten worse there, but that's something we know how to deal with.

Edvarius posted:

So, if the Mediators are supposed to be maintaining "the balance", wouldn't their being the caretakers of Yggdrasil be a bit of a contradiction as that keeps the darkness suppressed? And for that matter just what have they been doing with themselves if any possibility of balance was completely wrecked with the start of the war between the Goddess and the Dark Dragon all those years ago?

I mean, usually they aren't this blatant about "balance" being a meaningless concept in these situations.

Evidently they've just been hanging out in this village not going anywhere and mumbling about balance this and balance that. You'd think that the previous situation represented balance more than anything, since there was an equilibrium between the tree and the dragon that allowed everyone to thrive rather than a constant war for dominance. It'd be great if Evil Zorro just gave in and said "Look, I'm an rear end in a top hat okay? I just want to see everyone else suffer."

Glazius posted:

Good thing the killing machines haven't fixed their weakness to Zap or we'd have been proper fileted.

The weakness to Zap is handy, but it's also got its downside. If you notice they pop back up after being zap and do a nasty jump and spin attack, and that gets REALLY painful when you have three or four of them who all got Zapped at once.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You should use your minions more, even if they are going to be left behind in a minute.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the Mediators were needed once, but if current events are to be believed, Darkness pretty well wrote 11 on their amp so it goes one higher and then broke the knob off. I have a feeling anything more than monsters existing is a bit too much to risk for Darkness right now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Who would have thought that recycling evil into breathable air would end up corrupting the tree. I heard story of evil being used as a power source for the internet and it caused an advanced civilization to sink.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 28

Update 28 Video

We're all the way up at the top of the tree right now, and the boss fight here is a huge pain in the rear end. The Barbatos can throw us around like toys and does a ton of damage, as well as summon mawkeepers on a whim to make things more confusing. After it's done we've got a monologue from Evil Zorro, and then we've got a creepy volcano for future exploration as well as a bunch of new quests to keep us busy and prepare.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You should use your minions more, even if they are going to be left behind in a minute.

I really should, it's just that mental thing of "but what if I need that minion later!"

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the Mediators were needed once, but if current events are to be believed, Darkness pretty well wrote 11 on their amp so it goes one higher and then broke the knob off. I have a feeling anything more than monsters existing is a bit too much to risk for Darkness right now.

That's a fair description. He literally wasn't happy until monsters were devouring people, but at the same time it isn't likely to work out any better for the monsters. We've killed literally thousands of them, so the actual result has been monster genocide while humanoid races are actually doing fairly well for themselves.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Who would have thought that recycling evil into breathable air would end up corrupting the tree. I heard story of evil being used as a power source for the internet and it caused an advanced civilization to sink.

I'm reminded of a review (pretty sure it was on SA somewhere) that included the line "I used a demonic book to try and pick up girls, and it worked out great!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, it's weird that history only seems to go back to DQIV. Maybe the music dips back farther? I suppose as the start of the second trilogy it's not a bad place to start, and characters didn't really have much to go by in the previous three games.

Still and all, where's an Erdrick when you need him?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The remixed music has to come from somewhere.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 29

Update 29 Video

In the grandest of Dragon Quest traditions we're going to completely ignore what looks like the final dungeon and instead bugger off and do some side-questing. On the docket for today: getting Isla a new outfit, expanding the size of our inventory bag, and heading right back to the World Tree to keep some monsters from wrecking it. Truly, a hero's work is never done and that only gets worse when you've got like a dozen.

Glazius posted:

You know, it's weird that history only seems to go back to DQIV. Maybe the music dips back farther? I suppose as the start of the second trilogy it's not a bad place to start, and characters didn't really have much to go by in the previous three games.

Still and all, where's an Erdrick when you need him?

That is a point, since at least in DQII you had different characters even if they weren't exactly developed and in DQIII you did have the whole legend of Erdrick and the fact that you were chasing after your father. Your character actually did have at least SOME things that could be worked off of. DQ, on the other hand, had a pretty blank slate.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The remixed music has to come from somewhere.

It's a testament to the series design that so many people can actually recognize it immediately.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame when NPCs have more personality than your party. The king in DQ did get royally pissed off at you dying and getting cursed.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
So, it seems that twitch is experiencing some issues and we're currently unable to stream. No clue if it'll come back up tonight, so I guess I'll chase some metal slimes down. We'll check back in a bit and see if it's back up. Worst case, we might do a stream tomorrow.

Edit: Twitch is finally back up, but we're already more than an hour and a half past our goal for starting so we're going to do a stream tomorrow if Twitch permits.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 31, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, those knights are annoying. It seems like some people have normal attacks that should get through or around those shields.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Goddamnit, I missed the stream.

Again.

This is what I get for feeling responsible.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

bman in 2288 posted:

Goddamnit, I missed the stream.

Again.

This is what I get for feeling responsible.

Good news! Twitch was down last night and we actually couldn't stream. So we're getting ready to stream now.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 30

Update 30 Video

After one more delicious little sidequest it's time to go into the Fault after our favorite unmasked luchadore, and it's... well, it's pretty much a bunch of volcanic steps with a few new monsters that prompt Healix to make slime-based puns. In some ways you could say that it's the quintessential Dragon Quest Heroes level, but we've still got a few more to go.

Scalding Coffee posted:

A shame when NPCs have more personality than your party. The king in DQ did get royally pissed off at you dying and getting cursed.

Yeah, you had to REALLY mess up to get that screen. Cursed necklace, I think, or the belt.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is nothing wrong with charging your tension if it helps hasten battles. It is a very helpful mechanic. You have four people who can shoot if off at once.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What spawns a king cureslime? They don't seem like special bigguns from portals, so is it just a matter of getting enough pink healy jellyfish together to go big green?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pretty sure additional slimes spawn after activating i-frames, when they are going to form near you. Happened with the first type of big slime.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
So, we've hit a minor technical glitch in the LP... for a given value of glitch. The actual problem here is that evidently most of the last couple hours of the game is locked away as "blocked content" for streaming. I've tried both of the other built-in streaming services for the PS4, and the blockage is on all of them. At this point if we want to continue we're going to have to do so with a capture device that isn't picky about blocked content, and it'll take a few days to research an appropriate device and acquire it. We might also have to post somewhere else. In the meantime, I'm going to edit and post the last hour of attempted streaming we did, although because part of it was blocked content I'm going to have to get... creative.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why is such a thing implemented in a console?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I'm guessing that they figure allowing people to stream games can boost sales for stuff that's multi-player, but locking away end-of-plot stuff of games with plot will hopefully entice people to buy the game to see how it ends.

And speaking of LPs enticing people to buy things, I just got a PS4 late last week, and due to this LP I decided to make Heroes 2 the first game I got for it. And as I suspected, I'm not really the best at this type of thing, but hopefully sufficient grinding will make up for that. I hope your happy with yourself, ddegenha.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was worried about the reviews saying it was more tower defense than Dragon Quest and felt better after seeing this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Both DQH games are on sale on Steam, but not the SE store.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
So, a quick update on how things are going:

We've got a capture card now and captured about an hour's worth of footage last night. That gives us enough to actually start putting updates together again, but our capture card is giving us some issues... maybe I'll check in the tech support fort on that. It's basically randomly cutting off at certain points. But we're at least partially back in business, and we'll continue to figure things out. The first update that'll be from the capture card is #33, so I'll be interested in if people notice a perceptible difference. Based on the feedback we get, we might just cut out streaming and go with the capture card once we've figured it out. Otherwise the plan is to use the capture card to get through the part of the game where streaming is blocked and then switch back.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Fort it.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 31

Update 31 Video

After our unexpected hiatus we're back, continuing to assault the fault. We've got a couple of fairly basic levels to go through, although there's some interesting height differences. This is actually an occasional problem when dealing with flying enemies on these maps, but nothing we can't handle. At the end we've got Evil Zorro to deal with, and he's got a monologue for us... with the crucial difference that this time we actually get to kick his face in.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The last stage looks c/p from Final Fantasy IV. Only thing missing is damage floors and evil doors.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
:drac: "How do you plan to defeat me?"
:science: "I have devised a brilliant strategy! I shall employ the pointed end of this 'sword' to reduce the energy barrier to entering your body, so I can randomize a small selected area, thereby acquiring your status!"

Seriously, though, we're going to go haring off after this Circle of Light thing, like as not.

Unless the real Circle of Light was within us all along, buried under the terrible puns. Y'know, as you do.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 16, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It was in Healix the whole time and all we had to do was slice him in two to get it out.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 32

Update 32 Video

Evil Antonio's monologue avails him naught, so we just go ahead and kick his face in. The whole dungeon is falling apart at this point so we have to escape, but there's ANOTHER boss fight between us and the exit. Evil Hydra's a gimmick boss, but we know the gimmick and can handle it from there. There's a cut scene afterwards that we can't view, but just in case I've produced some artwork for everyone:

Scalding Coffee posted:

The last stage looks c/p from Final Fantasy IV. Only thing missing is damage floors and evil doors.

Only without the doors to be experience pinatas and give someone a level every time we finish one.

Glazius posted:

:drac: "How do you plan to defeat me?"
:science: "I have devised a brilliant strategy! I shall employ the pointed end of this 'sword' to reduce the energy barrier to entering your body, so I can randomize a small selected area, thereby acquiring your status!"

Seriously, though, we're going to go haring off after this Circle of Light thing, like as not.

Unless the real Circle of Light was within us all along, buried under the terrible puns. Y'know, as you do.

How could I have known that a weakness against being stabbed with long metal objects would come back to bite me in the rear end? How!

And yes, it's really been with us the whole time.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was in Healix the whole time and all we had to do was slice him in two to get it out.

I think being left out of the drawing will be punishment enough for him.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang. For hate's sake he spat his last breath at us. I have to respect that kind of dedication.

• Locked thread