Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://youtu.be/Pmp4R8FuCgc

SSSSSUUUUCKEEERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Drowning In Terror posted:

My favourite part of the first MK movie was when the unseen announcer was like "reptile" and then reptile appeared and just started beating the poo poo out of the protagonist for a few minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9iFfwUps5k

also every scene with christopher lambert

Sack punching an animatronic Goro cannot be forgotten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9FbZHN4iH4&t=80s

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

Sack punching an animatronic Goro cannot be forgotten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9FbZHN4iH4&t=80s

lol

nah
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilQnuwc7Z0

arrright

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbsfJinaZWc

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’ve sunk many many hours into every Mortal Kombat game but I’ve never played 4, and I’ve never felt any need to go back and play 4. Nothing looks good or cool or fun about that game.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Sockser posted:

I’ve sunk many many hours into every Mortal Kombat game but I’ve never played 4, and I’ve never felt any need to go back and play 4. Nothing looks good or cool or fun about that game.

It is better than Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If we’re gonna talk MK4 endings, yeah the Sonya/Jerek/Jax endings are classic, but here are two of my favorites.

https://youtu.be/4qlMUbNp0Nc

It’s rare to have an ending where the character you play as gets overwhelmingly owned like this one.

https://youtu.be/dn80Gu73k4w

And then there’s this. Just. This. (Yes I know the PSX version is fleshed out a bit more and is actually good, but the original is just hilarious).

N64 endings picked for maximum camp factor.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The weapons in mk4 were hilarious, sonya’s whirligig saw was the best

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sockser posted:

It still plays and "feels" like Mortal Kombat at least, and has great cheesy moments like the endings.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
*Ahem*

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/264509/The_25year_legacy_of_Street_Fighter_II_in_the_words_of_the_experts.php

Seriously though, yes Street Fighter is the better game, but crowing about it in a Mortal Kombat thread is like going into a thread about, say, Big Trouble in Little China and only talking about how Enter the Dragon is a much more serious kung fu movie.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I remember all of the "video games are making our kids in MURDERERS" peaking around Mortal Kombat 3 in my area. My Mom bought me Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES when I was 8. When we got home from Toys R Us she asked to see it, to see how violent it was.

I remember doing a bunch of moves and getting a Brutality finisher, and my Mom was just like "Okay just don't be an idiot and try and do this stuff."

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

A Fancy Hat posted:

I remember all of the "video games are making our kids in MURDERERS" peaking around Mortal Kombat 3 in my area.

When Brandon tore off Jeffrey’s head leaving the spinal cord intact during recess, we all knew there was no going back to the way things used to be.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Fancy Hat posted:

I remember all of the "video games are making our kids in MURDERERS" peaking around Mortal Kombat 3 in my area. My Mom bought me Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES when I was 8. When we got home from Toys R Us she asked to see it, to see how violent it was.

I remember doing a bunch of moves and getting a Brutality finisher, and my Mom was just like "Okay just don't be an idiot and try and do this stuff."

I remember it starting a bit earlier than that. There was an active push to remove Splatter House and Chiller from a local arcade in like 1990.

The big MK scare where I grew up started with the first one in 1993, and continued through MK II, which was exacerbated with DOOM happening.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sockser posted:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation just kind of assumes that you know who the characters are and that when they show up they don't need any introduction, they can just start fighting and it's fine. Cyrax and Sektor bust in through a wall and then they fight Jax and Sonya and that's the whole scene. Nightwolf shows up and tells Liu Kang to do something and then is gone from the rest of the film, Jade shows up, becomes friends with Liu Kang, betrays Liu Kang or something, and then gets beat by... maybe Kitana? Probably? and characters just keep popping in and out of the film without any consequence and it's just a bunch of poorly choreographed fight scenes with no glue in between them building up to some real D-level 90s CGI in the final fight.

It kind of baffles me that they actually felt the need to literally pick up the moment the first Mortal Kombat leaves off. Like, yes even the kids in the audience realize it was just a sequel hook and would perfectly understand if the new movie started a little bit later after Earth has already been invaded so it's not so drat awkward - the movie basically needs a "previously on Mortal Kombat" sequence which they actually kind of do but all it is is literally a sentence like "Liu Kang just won Mortal Kombat but it's all bullshit I guess because the bad guys are invading anyway". Also the cast changes and such become that much more obvious.

Oh, and they kill Johnny Cage off right away and they kind of set it up like it's going to be a character arc thing for Sonya, but literally all that happens is mentions his name around Jax and Jax is all "Who the gently caress is Johnny" and that's the end of that.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Streetfighter was all low kicks and the indian guy using his long reach

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Magius1337est posted:

Streetfighter was all low kicks and the indian guy using his long reach

Yea, but the movie is excellent. "For me, it was Tuesday."

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

That NEVERRRRRRR that jarek gives is perfecto

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I spent all my birthday money on MK for the genesis back when they were talking about banning it. I only had a vague hope that I would get a system to play it on for Christmas 4 months after. (I did). I drew a controller on a piece of paper and practiced for 4 months.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lizardman posted:

*Ahem*

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/264509/The_25year_legacy_of_Street_Fighter_II_in_the_words_of_the_experts.php

Seriously though, yes Street Fighter is the better game, but crowing about it in a Mortal Kombat thread is like going into a thread about, say, Big Trouble in Little China and only talking about how Enter the Dragon is a much more serious kung fu movie.

The great thing about MK is you can boot it up for pretty much any crowd and everyone gets super into it. It's not as technically solid as the SF games, but it's goofy enough and easy to pick up that it's hard not to have fun with it.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

MK3 was the bigger budget, more hyped up version of MK2 and while it was good, it wasn't nearly as good as MK2, which is a masterpiece.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

MK3 was the bigger budget, more hyped up version of MK2 and while it was good, it wasn't nearly as good as MK2, which is a masterpiece.

You're goddamn right. Mortal Kombat has been good, but I don't think it will ever top MKII

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
mortal kombat has a better combo system than street fighter

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'd like to see corner juggling reintroduced to modern fighting games.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
For years I thought that Mac from Almost Sunny was in an MK movie. IMDb is telling me thats not true. I’m heartbroken.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I did my GCSE coursework on Mortal Kombat 2 and Bowie's Diamond Dogs album and got an F. lol

The little intros for the new game are loving great too. Johnny Cage telling Goro he's going to punch him "in the loving balls" is hysterical.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Remulak posted:

For years I thought that Mac from Almost Sunny was in an MK movie. IMDb is telling me thats not true. I’m heartbroken.

Well, now I want to see Mac Kombat

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robokomodo posted:

I spent all my birthday money on MK for the genesis back when they were talking about banning it. I only had a vague hope that I would get a system to play it on for Christmas 4 months after. (I did). I drew a controller on a piece of paper and practiced for 4 months.
You should consider posting in the Imp Zone, you would do well there.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, now I want to see Mac Kombat

Er-Mac. This poo poo writes itself, people.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I asked for MKII for Christmas but my mom was like "isn't that that violent game I saw on the news and I'm not supposed to buy?" I told her it was POSSIBLE to make gross stuff happen, but it was really hard and you needed all kinds of secret codes that I didn't know. She got it for me and I immediately went to work with the pages I'd ripped out of Nintendo Power a few months ago with all the finishing moves on them :twisted:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I played so much Street Fighter before I ever touched Mortal Kombat that the whole philosophy of fighting and input methods it uses is like disorienting and alien to me. Like trying to walk with your shoes on the wrong feet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jim Barris posted:

I played so much Street Fighter before I ever touched Mortal Kombat that the whole philosophy of fighting and input methods it uses is like disorienting and alien to me. Like trying to walk with your shoes on the wrong feet.
I remember MK being pretty similar to SF2 when I was a kid, what are the major differences?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I remember MK being pretty similar to SF2 when I was a kid, what are the major differences?
instead of variations on quarter and half circle motions MK does that thing where you press inputs twice or press like down right. Also its hard for me to describe but the way you connect hits and the movement in general all 'feels' different. Someone with a deeper knowledge of fighting games could probably give you a better answer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jim Barris posted:

instead of variations on quarter and half circle motions MK does that thing where you press inputs twice or press like down right. Also its hard for me to describe but the way you connect hits and the movement in general all 'feels' different. Someone with a deeper knowledge of fighting games could probably give you a better answer.
I definitely remember that MK doesn't do the slight-pause thing on hits that SF2 did.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I always thought the fella who popped up after an uppercut was saying HUH HEE HEE!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I knew MK for so long before any other fighting game that the idea of not brutally killing the loser and that all fights are not to the death was alien and weird for a long time. I still only like the campy non serious fighters too, like Soul Calibur and DOA.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

One thing Street Fighter had in common with MK was that both of their movies were amazing. Which when you think about it was a pretty improbable occurrence.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
They were amazing for very different reasons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
erron black is a cool motherfucker

• Locked thread