Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Extra Large Marge posted:

I wouldn't say that they are against work. They're completely unemployable dorks who have found a way to monetize making fun of Ben Shapiro. More power to them.

Do you know anyone that works in NYC? If they wanted, every Chapo could take a few years and get into a six figure desk job. Will *quit* that job (Publishing) to embrace podcasting. They're good at what they do and provide a unique place for non-LA-comedians to guest on a funny and politically relevant show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried listening to the first episode and i got what they were going for but it was incredibly unfunny to me

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Analytic Engine posted:

Do you know anyone that works in NYC?

I know a few people who work in NYC, or as New Yorkers call it "The Big Apple".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I'm just trying to keep you from looking stupid again

Taking advice from you on not looking stupid would be like taking advice on getting laid from an incel.

Actually it's probably like taking advice on getting laid from you too.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Taking advice from you on not looking stupid would be like taking advice on getting laid from an incel.

This is a lovely burn but you really put your back into it. Despite still looking stupid you've got spunk, kid

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

These boys and their humor are extremely online and it's probably funny as hell to people who are similarly online

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kitchner posted:

Actually Gray Wolves like me are volcel, forums user Kitchener. Sounds like you really need to buy the book if you don't even know that

client
Aug 19, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Kitchner posted:

So I took a poo poo selfie while walking between stations on the London underground:

I just wanted to share the love really despite my inferior selfie skills.

Also its loving hot down here. In the summer the underground actually reaches heat levels at which it's considered inhumane to transport cattle, but humans are fair game.

lol

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
hello mr. chapo

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Analytic Engine posted:

Do you know anyone that works in NYC? If they wanted, every Chapo could take a few years and get into a six figure desk job. Will *quit* that job (Publishing) to embrace podcasting. They're good at what they do and provide a unique place for non-LA-comedians to guest on a funny and politically relevant show.

I don't think they pay six figures down at the old communist dick sucking factory.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Damo posted:

hello mr. chapo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbQx0NTV4TU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USdINAnBf0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0mQzTDDD8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglVo9rj2Nk

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z0yg-ykfuQ

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

whats their opinion on wallerstein

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i tried listening to the first episode and i got what they were going for but it was incredibly unfunny to me

First ep bad. Go to 2, 3, or 88 for learning the specifics about MISTER GORKA

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i can't afford it on my barista salary so i put myself on the waitlist at the park slope library

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I haven't listened to that many episodes but I'm behind the general effort, and I appreciate that they're the only leftist community on reddit that doesn't have a stick up its rear end.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

mike12345 posted:

What about Althusser and "Ideology and Ideological State Apparatuses"? Isn't that more or less the interesting bits of Gramsci, more pronounced?
I know althusser mostly from reading criticism in and around his fight with ep thompson (who is very influential but overrated imo within marxist-derivative historicism). but yes i would compare althusser favorably against gramsci. why? because gramscian hegemony encourages an (i would argue overweaning) inference of conspiratorial and purposive ideological intent from a unified ruling class. while althusser reconciles antinomies of objectivity and subjectivity, structure and action, contradictions between various levels of society, etc., etc., within a larger totality of structural (productive) dialectical determinations. and the latter theory seems much more plausible if far more opaque.

if althusser is a structuralist still ultimately wedded to classical modalities of production, mouffe and laclau are post-structuralists (without being textualists) who try to rewrite classical stageism altogether. the results take them quite a bit far afield from the classical texts but they provide an interesting way out of certain basic problems.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Bodyholes posted:

I haven't listened to that many episodes but I'm behind the general effort, and I appreciate that they're the only leftist community on reddit that doesn't have a stick up its rear end.

Sincerely this. /r/chapotraphouse is actually good and doesn't do ridiculous ideological purity bullshit. If you constantly call every woman a oval office or be a TERF or something, you'll be banned, sure, but just saying something's stupid (or even RETARDED!) won't. You can get a buncha the language police on your case from time to time, but it's less egregious than how /r/latestagecapitalism will literally ban you for saying something's idiotic/moronic/stupid/dumb/lame. Because ABLEISM.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Podcast is good. Will not be buying the book because I like to read books that aren't total poo poo.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This thread has robbed me of minutes of my life.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
i'll probably buy it

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Kitchner posted:

All right kitchner time to take a pill (a chill pill)

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I'm a pretty big Chapo fan, but I cannot figure out what'll be different between the book and podcast, so I will probably not be buying the book.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

vandalism posted:

This thread has robbed me of minutes of my life.

You would've wasted them anyways.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Chapo Trap House is my source of vocal fry, uptalking at the end of every single sentence and using "like" as every third word.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

evobatman posted:

Chapo Trap House is my source of vocal fry, uptalking at the end of every single sentence and using "like" as every third word.

Oh my god that annoys me so much? When people talk like this? Like every statement is a question??

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

communism bitch posted:

Oh my god that annoys me so much? When people talk like this? Like every statement is a question??

i think the Kardashians started it

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Bodyholes posted:

That Robot posted:

Actually chapo trap house attracts the worst people, and I'm saying this as a leftist.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

who the gently caress is actually gonna keep paying for their podcast let alone buy the book lmafo

All of those quotes are accurate and I agree with them.

Chapo Trap house is good to listen to if you've never read a book with political themes or have only scratched the surface on political theory. They tend to give a very PolSci 101 level take on things, which does them and their listeners a disservice imo.
Instead of giving the people making 5 figures apiece per month more money you would be better served to buy some general books about political theory and ideals. Wealth of Nations and the Communist Manifesto will give you a better understanding of left wing and right wing politics than listening to all of Chapo can give you.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I'd be interested to hear The Robot clarify what he means by "attracts the worst people"... no clue what he actually considers that to be.

Anyway, after binging on the Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson episodes because of this thread, I have to say they were funnier than I expected, so I assume I'm officially one of the bad leftists instead of one of the good ones now.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Bodyholes posted:

I'd be interested to hear The Robot clarify what he means by "attracts the worst people"... no clue what he actually considers that to be.

Too lazy to look but if he's the poster I'm thinking of the answer is going to be "critical of Israeli apartheid"

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Do CTH make good points or have a solid grasp on poli sci, economics, etc.? Or is it incoherent leftist theory-ese and endless bitching about neoliberalism?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aschlafly posted:

Do CTH make good points or have a solid grasp on poli sci, economics, etc.? Or is it incoherent leftist theory-ese and endless bitching about neoliberalism?

Matt and Amber do, yes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I like chapo, they times they are kinda eh or lean farther then i do(matt annoys me sometimes), but over all i agree with them espcialy on current liberal politics. id still give to their patreon if i had better ways to download their poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 18, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

:smugbird:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
listening to chapo now and it's pretty hit or miss.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

scott zoloft posted:

listening to chapo now and it's pretty hit or miss.

hi scott, how are ya

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys I'm a far leftist communist. Anyways please buy my book so I can continue living in economic hedonism

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Hector Beerlioz posted:

hi scott, how are ya

hector, i am well. I was listening chapo on behest of :rock: teh fawkkin Wizard Master :rock: and now i think i am done.

trying joe rogan next.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Hi, Brooklyn millionaire Marxist here.You guys ever hear of the Labor Theory Of Value? Dont be a MAGA CHUD smoothbrain and donate to your favorite podcast to hear 20 more rants from a fat jobless beardo how liberals are feckless do nothings who are normalizing fascism whereas the true revolutionary shits his pants on the train.

Bernie would have won!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

your friend a dog posted:

Hey guys I'm a far leftist communist. Anyways please buy my book so I can continue living in economic hedonism

lol if you think the chapo morons are “far leftist communist”

• Locked thread