Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Nurge posted:

To a point I'm sure, but the lefties definitely want to change things and hopefully they'll get a chance next government, unless the leader of SDP dies from his illness and takes his party down with him.

e: I mean there's not really a pushback against improving things for minorities except from the far fringes. It's more like an apathy on doing anything unless it benefits big business or your political buddies. The christian democrats are probably the only parliamentary party I'd expect to make some sort of noises against trans rights, and they're fairly marginal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Yeah like I said, apathy. It's a weird thing but that's the way we roll. Not that the chart has anything to do with trans rights, but it probably applies there too.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why not visit Finland? We've got:

akseli gallen-kalela

i recognize that famous dog but why did your president become a duck?

and how often did you guys see spuurdo sparde shirts or graffiti when that meme was at peak

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This is actually capital punishment. In Finland there are no executions. Instead criminals are sentenced to wade into the frozen bog and they are never seen again.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The Finns have some good cultural norms re personal space.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm Finnish. I see a few different older guyes on the bus stop I go to work from sitting there, in the middle of the day, drinking beer or wine. They do this because they are lonely and they know you can't talk to strangers trying to get on the buss unless they are drunk first. This is during winter, in piles of snow and 10 Fahrenheit temperatures. Truly a land of stark beauty and darkness.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m super into Finnish power metal and it is a dream of mine to go to one of their metal festivals :)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

remigious posted:

I’m super into Finnish power metal and it is a dream of mine to go to one of their metal festivals :)

Like what? Nightwish? I'm really out of date on metal genres.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5fQZhv0poU

Edgar posted:

My friend served a LDS mission there. Girls are thirsty there he says.

congrats, "my mormon friend fucks!" is probably the most pathetic lie ever told in history.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Haahahaha, Mormons.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Zidrooner posted:

Finlandia is the best brand of vodka, easily.

Good vodka is a crowded plateau

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBSq-YgniMI

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

doverhog posted:

Nightwish was my gateway, my favorite band is Sonata Arctica :)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Please try to tread back gatewards.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjZ1B897Tuk

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Varusteleka.com is pretty loving cool. Kalakukko is pretty drat tasty.

From the site:

"The food is much like a mix of hamburger and pie, made out of rye bread and filled with smoked salmon. The funny part is that because of the hermetically sealed tin can, no preservatives are needed, and the ingredients are the superfoods they always tell you you should eat. Because it's healthy AND it tastes good, this food resembles much like a situation where you are enjoying your beer in a bar and a pretty young girl comes up to you and asks if you would like to go to her place and assfuck her. A deal too good to be true. Except with this food delicacy there is no hidden cock included."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I went to school with some snacks from Finland, or should I say fine-land.

Snacks is a term for an attractive person, like "oh man Eric Bana is a snack" I'm not talking about snacks like with food, since food from Nordic countries is awful.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

tango alpha delta posted:

Varusteleka.com is pretty loving cool. Kalakukko is pretty drat tasty.

From the site:

"The food is much like a mix of hamburger and pie, made out of rye bread and filled with smoked salmon. The funny part is that because of the hermetically sealed tin can, no preservatives are needed, and the ingredients are the superfoods they always tell you you should eat. Because it's healthy AND it tastes good, this food resembles much like a situation where you are enjoying your beer in a bar and a pretty young girl comes up to you and asks if you would like to go to her place and assfuck her. A deal too good to be true. Except with this food delicacy there is no hidden cock included."

Actually that joke loving sucks.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I had some of this before and it's really good.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

benis :DDDDD

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
When is a good time to visit Helsinki without getting snowed in? I heard there was a "party boat" ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm, some people say it sucks but sounds like fun to me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

uber_stoat posted:

The standard way to describe Nordic food is

"It's like X, but with hosed up poo poo and hosed up poo poo."

It's like a meatball, but it's ground up toenail and fish entrails.

It's like a French fry, but it's a salt lick we swirled around in the ocean for 10 minutes.

It's like a cupcake, but it's fish eye ground with cheese curd.

The more unusual thing about Nordic food, especially with Finland, is that sometimes you hear that script and eat the gross thing anyways and it tastes really good. It's like a hotdog but it's dried salmon on a piece of flat bread with pickled something on top. That's a real dish I had from a cart. It was good!

When me and my ex went to Finland we kept quoting that part from Lion King when Simba eats a worm and goes "slimy yet satisfying" because I guess cooking things was out of the question for a while so they had to just pickle things or smoke them or eat them essentially raw.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

What is it?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Galewolf posted:

When is a good time to visit Helsinki without getting snowed in? I heard there was a "party boat" ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm, some people say it sucks but sounds like fun to me.

After March probably. Boats are fun, I'll meet you on it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leip%C3%A4juusto

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Man with Hat posted:

After March probably. Boats are fun, I'll meet you on it.

:heysexy:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I knew a finnish guy in high school, i boned his girlfriend and he found out and the guy didn't even get mad, he didn't seem to care, it always seemed so strange

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Caesar Saladin posted:

I knew a finnish guy in high school, i boned his girlfriend and he found out and the guy didn't even get mad, he didn't seem to care, it always seemed so strange

Showing emotion is considered rude in Finnish cuture, but he was quietly plotting to murder you hth

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's a kind of cheese, just ate some like just now. "Bread cheese", because you eat it like bread and can even put toppings on it if you fee like it. I mean I'll do it with other cheese too if I feel like it but even a normie Finn will feel ok putting toppings on that sucker because it's called "bread-".

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

remigious posted:

Nightwish was my gateway, my favorite band is Sonata Arctica :)

You like music for pimply teens.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grillfiend posted:

Showing emotion is considered rude in Finnish cuture, but he was quietly plotting to murder you hth

Seriouspost: If you think about it, showing emotion is completely useless. If you're feeling angry/sad/happy/disappointed/whatever, literally no-one on this planet cares so why not just keep it all bottled up?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: If you think about it, showing emotion is completely useless. If you're feeling angry/sad/happy/disappointed/whatever, literally no-one on this planet cares so why not just keep it all bottled up?
Cause it's really bad for your general mental health to keep everything bottled up, and people close to you often do care.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't know anything about Finland, OP. I only pay attention to countries that are major players on the world stage.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

That poo poo is good with cloudberry jelly on it!!!

Finland pros:

Agressive women: especially if you are in good shape and speak english

Sauna

Lots of great nature, camping, and excellent summer nights

Food is much better and diverse then it was 20 years ago

Easy access to Estonia: The Tijuana party zone of Finland

The Drilling platform (the Finland/Sweden drunken party boat)

Finland Cons:

Some of the worst alcohols ever created (Salmiakki Koskenkorva comes to mind as well as a few others)

Cold as gently caress in winter when the wind is whipping off the Baltic. Might as well go pants free it's so drat cold

Really high taxes

Can be very isolating at times, if you are not originally from there and have extended family

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Elukka posted:

Cause it's really bad for your general mental health to keep everything bottled up, and people close to you often do care.

The Finnish way is to keep it in the bottle, until you open the vodka bottle, and then stab you with a kitchen knife.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
As far as goblin-mongols are concerned, Finnish women are very hot. That's my hot take.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Finnish women are the worst scandinavian women

Same with finnish men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Finnish women are the worst scandinavian women

Same with finnish men

That's because they're not scandinavian, they're half mongol. The vikings never conquered Finland because it was too cold and dark and the Finns too cantankerous to bother with. I mean, they did it later but that was the kingdom of Sweden who used a crusade for that.