Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Two other things I love from Trader Joe's:

Such a great green hot sauce on a sandwich or pasta!

OH hell yeah their habanero hot sauce is good as too and it is hot as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Account McAccount posted:

Their Indian food is SO GOOD

This, they used to have these triangular frozen samosas that were fuckin incredible. But I think they were discontinued of course

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Green dragon is tasty but it's not hot sauce

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Please mr goat no heat shaming

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
lol if you never add hot sauce to things that make other people go "well that's weird"

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

TJ is arguably the best place to get "fancy" cheese. Not sure what it's called but the purple wine one is good

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
canadas trader joe is m&m meat shop :/

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
the fajitas that you have to put in the oven are good

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cross-Section posted:

holy loving poo poo, these things :swoon:

Whoa are those trader joe Takis?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Trader Joes has low quality meat, and good but overpriced produce.

It's literally only good for it's booze discounts and frozen food section.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
My first and only time at Aldi, I was unprepared for the quarter cart. A guy I parked near offered me his cart, but as I went to walk off he was like, "uhhh what about my quarter?". I replied, "huh oh I see poo poo my bad, I didn't realize, haha , first time.", waiting for a like no big deal, next time, something like that. He just stood there staring at me. So I went back to the car and got him a quarter, slapped it in his hand.

I ended up leaving my cart unlocked with the quarter in it. Dude, it's a fuckin quarter.

As for the shopping experience, I filled the cart for like 45 bucks I was blown away. Shouldn't have bought the produce though, but I knew better. It's great for canned, homogenous items though.

I'm about to try that click list poo poo, I hear it is the slam. I despise the grocery store, but I like to see what I'm buying also.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Jimlit posted:

TJ is arguably the best place to get "fancy" cheese. Not sure what it's called but the purple wine one is good

Dude they have Roquefort cheese that's legit and a billion times cheaper than everyone else.

(To those who don't know or are willing to try: said cheese is very moldy, intentionally, but ridiculously good).

smoobles posted:

Trader Joes has low quality meat, and good but overpriced produce.

It's literally only good for it's booze discounts and frozen food section.

They do have really good prosciutto for crazy cheap compared to a deli and the same brand of salami anywhere else at 1/3 the cost tho.

Oh! And they have this goat cheese seasoned with spices that is so ridiculousy tasty.

Account McAccount fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 17, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Relayer posted:

This, they used to have these triangular frozen samosas that were fuckin incredible. But I think they were discontinued of course
Really? Dang. They weren't like anything I've had in a restaurant, but however in/authentic they were, they were good.

I got my start on ginger with their house brand ginger candy, they discontinued that and replaced it with some overpriced branded crap, and I had to start brewing a strong tea from ginger root. At least it's sugar free.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSeArABDuu8

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Relayer posted:

They still have them, but I don't know if they're at every location. TJ's is really hit and miss, but specific items are good. I like their bake-at-home chocolate croissants and their potato latkes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Really? Dang. They weren't like anything I've had in a restaurant, but however in/authentic they were, they were good.

I got my start on ginger with their house brand ginger candy, they discontinued that and replaced it with some overpriced branded crap, and I had to start brewing a strong tea from ginger root. At least it's sugar free.
Have you tried just buying bulk crystallized ginger?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I like TJ's produce, milk, and cheese for the most part. Everything else is mostly tasty junk.

Aldis on the other hand you can watch the produce go bad in real-time. poo poo I bring home from there barely lasts a day. That Duke's Mayonnaise though...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have you tried just buying bulk crystallized ginger?
Haven't, but now I'm hooked on ginger tea anyhow.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Haven't, but now I'm hooked on ginger tea anyhow.

you should upgrade to homemade masala chai imo

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 17, 2019

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Just shop at ALDI you loving cowards

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I curse you with my dying breath. May you buy produce only from Aldi's for the rest of your days.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Just shop at ALDI you loving cowards
Oh I totally would but Aldi doesn't exist in large parts of the country, like west coast is almost devoid of them (but they're closely coming, iirc SoCal just got a few over the last few years but norcal and above are devoid).

FactsAreUseless posted:

They still have them, but I don't know if they're at every location. TJ's is really hit and miss, but specific items are good. I like their bake-at-home chocolate croissants and their potato latkes.

Yeah I'm pretty sure mine still has them as well but I'll have to check. Definitely sometimes spotty when items come and go out of season or forever. In general I've had very few duds and TJ has some of the best return policy and their customer service desk is always staffed, unlike most other grocery stores which is race to the bottom garbage and the CS desk or w/e is unmanned for hrs with a huge line building up to buy western union or w/e. So I've definitely returned a bunch of bad tasting items and they're always super cool and quick about it.

A lot of their frozen dessert/breakfast aisle stuff is really good, or at least, solid and a good price.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 17, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Aldi access is sporadic on the Midwest/east coast too because most of their earlier developments were in low-income neighborhoods and many middle-class places don't have an Aldi anywhere in a sensible radius, which is a shame because I enjoy shopping Aldi's strange mishmash of off-brand chips, chocolates, and cheesecakes.

Trader Joe's locations are everywhere and that's helped their acceptance in comparison to Aldi.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Tom Gorman posted:

Their bananas are still the best and cheapest in all the land. I don't know how they do it.

A secret war in Nicaragua resulting in a coup.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Whoa are those trader joe Takis?

yes and they taste like they may have at one point been corn

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Their jaipur veggies are good

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Their Toscana cheese with Chipotle and Toscana cheese with cinnamon are the bee's knees

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

interwhat posted:

My first and only time at Aldi, I was unprepared for the quarter cart. A guy I parked near offered me his cart, but as I went to walk off he was like, "uhhh what about my quarter?". I replied, "huh oh I see poo poo my bad, I didn't realize, haha , first time.", waiting for a like no big deal, next time, something like that. He just stood there staring at me. So I went back to the car and got him a quarter, slapped it in his hand.

I ended up leaving my cart unlocked with the quarter in it. Dude, it's a fuckin quarter.

As for the shopping experience, I filled the cart for like 45 bucks I was blown away. Shouldn't have bought the produce though, but I knew better. It's great for canned, homogenous items though.

I'm about to try that click list poo poo, I hear it is the slam. I despise the grocery store, but I like to see what I'm buying also.

drat, extremely alpha move

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
gently caress I miss Trader Joe’s in my small southern town. Their potato latkes with Mango chutney was my default snack and no one makes better frozen Indian food.

Also I can’t tell you how many times I just bought and consumed an entire seeded baguette and 3 layer hummus

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Have you all heard the Good News of our Lord and Savior, Winco?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

Are these anywhere outside of the northwest?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are these anywhere outside of the northwest?

At least as far south as Arizona now and as far east as Texas. Basically everything from the Pacific to Oklahoma.

They have a sourdough bread with garlic that is 10/10.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

At least as far south as Arizona now and as far east as Texas. Basically everything from the Pacific to Oklahoma.

They have a sourdough bread with garlic that is 10/10.
Yeah, Winco's great. It's like if it was actually worth going to Costco, but without the membership costs. It's just the cheapest grocery store I've found outside of Grocery Outlet, but that isn't useful for everyday stuff.

Their produce can be real bad though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

KiteAuraan posted:

I would go there but there isn't one for like 60+ miles and it's out in the super far central valley-esque burbs. Seems pretty cool though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xaris posted:

I would go there but there isn't one for like 60+ miles and it's out in the super far central valley-esque burbs. Seems pretty cool though.
It's not worth it at that distance. It carries the same stuff as any other grocery store, just a bit cheaper and without some of the "luxury" items. It's nice if you have one close enough to go there a couple times a week.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I live like 0.3 miles from trader joes and kind of take it for granted. I don't get that joy I would've gotten in the Midwest back in the old days (several years ago) by visiting one. but yeah their pizzas and indian dinners ain't all that bad and well-priced, I like those nitro-coffees too those give me a rush

e: trying not to make a lame low spirit post in fact trader joes has held up despite being in such close proximity for a long time, its great to have

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
dark chocolate ganache mini sheet cakes. i have had one of those once a year on my birthday. and it shows.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I walked into a Trader Joe’s recently but the line started where I first entered the store so I left immediately and went to a small lovely grocery across the street from me

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Verisimilidude posted:

I walked into a Trader Joe’s recently but the line started where I first entered the store so I left immediately and went to a small lovely grocery across the street from me

I used to go to one by union square and it was pretty easy even when jam loving packed. Since the line starts at the door and snakes around most of the store you can get most of your shopping done while you wait, and with a shitload of cashiers it goes pretty fast ime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
More like Trader Blows :smuggo: