Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The first one I remember was Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the Sega Master System on Christmas 1991, but I might have played an arcade machine of some sort before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Negrostrike posted:

drat Secret Agent is loving HARD

We had one of those massive shareware CDs and I used to play the poo poo out of Secret Agent as well as Crystal Caves which runs on the same engine. I never beat either of them lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Most likely some arcade port on my dad's ColecoVision in the late '80's. I would have been pre-school/kindergarten age back then. Donkey Kong, Defender, Zaxxon, (Ms.) Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Galaga, Galaxian, he had them all. We'd play together, or alternate lives.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My dad bought "me" a VCS when they came out (I was 1). I have no idea what my actual first game was but my earliest memories of games on the Atari are Maze Craze and Air Sea Combat.

Pretty much every birthday and Christmas brought more games until I was buying them for a dollar each at the local pharmacy/junk store with my paper route money in the late 80s.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Our local supermarket had a racing game that I remember playing when I was 5 or 6. It was black and white and had a steering wheel and I loved it. Had to look it up because I couldn’t remember the name, turns out it’s an early 70s Atari arcade game called Gran Trak 10.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I think my great grandfather had an atari 2600, but I don't remember what games I played on it. The one game that sticks out the most to me was Dungeon Master on an Apple II GS. Not surprisingly, first person dungeon crawlers is my favorite genre of video game to this day.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Super Mario Bros.

I was watching my uncle play it and he let me play the warp zone in 1-2, he told me very explicitly "Do not go into the pipe" presumably because he wanted to get the ten coin block right before the pipe.

I went into the pipe.

Node posted:

I think my great grandfather had an atari 2600, but I don't remember what games I played on it. The one game that sticks out the most to me was Dungeon Master on an Apple II GS. Not surprisingly, first person dungeon crawlers is my favorite genre of video game to this day.

My uncle had an Amiga and the game I remember most was Black Crypt, which is an FPS dungeon crawler similar to Dungeon Master. That game had an amazing soundtrack and ambience, and to this day I wish there was a version I could get running to play through myself.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

PneumonicBook posted:

Super Mario Bros.

I was watching my uncle play it and he let me play the warp zone in 1-2, he told me very explicitly "Do not go into the pipe" presumably because he wanted to get the ten coin block right before the pipe.

I went into the pipe.

Please forgive my pedantry, but: there is no “10 coin block” in the OG SMB. Instead, it is a timed block where you can squeeze as many coins as jumps within a span of time. You can usually net 13 pretty comfortably.

10-coin block is Mario Maker Revisionist History.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Please forgive my pedantry, but: there is no “10 coin block” in the OG SMB. Instead, it is a timed block where you can squeeze as many coins as jumps within a span of time. You can usually net 13 pretty comfortably.

Ahahah, no worries. I always referred to those blocks as 10 coin blocks, but I suppose I've never counted.

The important part was that I was scarred terribly for screwing up the one thing 4 year old me was told to do lol.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Chrs posted:

It was either Sonic 1, 2 or Streets of Rage but I’m not sure which
Extremely same except I think I played that Genesis/Mega Drive Terminator game or Kid Chameleon first. Those weren't mine though.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Christmas 1982, we got a Colecovision. Came with Donkey Kong as the pack-in, but we also got Smurf and Carnival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcoxH4QLcLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXsCgbd6d3g

Owning a Colecovision at the time was awesome because the video game crash meant games were dirt cheap, so we’d get new ones all the time. Looking at a list of games, I can count 35 that I remember owning, which is like a quarter of the library.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
My parents had an Atari 2600 so the first video games I ever played was probably Pong, Pacman, or something like that. The first time I remember thinking video games were really cool though was at my friends house seeing Mario and Duck Hunt!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Ok, so I got to thinking again and I figured out that my first memories of playing video games is a mashup of Adventure for the Atari 2600, and Rocky’s Boots for DOS or the Apple II, by the Learning Company( an educational game about logic gates and poo poo). The guy that made Adventure also worked on it, and it includes a loud rear end duck, which I assume was maybe a reference to Adventure and the dragon looking like a duck.

https://youtu.be/a-NLh58bIIk

It feels great to have finally figured this out. A bunch of memories are trickling back in.

Also, Atari 2600 is for the children. Click to hear RZA sing about his childhood. I think there’s a whole album.

https://youtu.be/r8LbtuabMuY

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 10, 2019

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
The first game I got was the Super Mario All-Stars cart that came with the SNES bundle I got for Xmas when I was 4 but the first game I remember beating was Zelda LttP. I died 139 times! :downs:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My parents had an Atari 2600, but it was theirs. My first game may well have been Combat.

The first games I remember playing, however, were in arcades as a slightly older kid: Moon Patrol and Gyruss. They were right next to each other in some arcade, and the mists of time have fogged which came first. I grant them both pride of place, and I grant Gyruss credit for my later love of Tempest.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I inherited my aunt's Nes (my aunt is only 10 years older than me) with super Mario Bros.
But the first game that was truly mine, got it in Christmas: a 2nd generation SNES (the smaller one) with

SUPER
STAR
WARS

That loving GAME was what I cut my teeth on. I used to play it until my thumbs BLED.
My thumbs can, in fact, bend backwards because of that game.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you didn't play that hard as gently caress Star Wars game for the NES, featuring Darth Vader turning into a snake

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Randaconda posted:

lol if you didn't play that hard as gently caress Star Wars game for the NES, featuring Darth Vader turning into a snake

More like Darth Viper, amirite?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Randaconda posted:

It was a Scorpion which introduced itself as "fake Darth Vader"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Im imagining someone’s first game being SNES empire strikes back- you’d either get so sick of it you’d never pick up another game ever or totally dominate the game to the point where nothing else can challenge you

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shibawanko posted:

It was a Scorpion which introduced itself as "fake Darth Vader"

alas, i am undone

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

A scorpion is the most classic early game boss design imo. Every first dungeon boss should just be a big scorpion or maybe a lizard man

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That Star Wars game was only released in Japan

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That Star Wars game was only released in Japan

Yeah, but my Nintendo worked at Uncle.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Siegkrow posted:

I inherited my aunt's Nes (my aunt is only 10 years older than me) with super Mario Bros.
But the first game that was truly mine, got it in Christmas: a 2nd generation SNES (the smaller one) with

SUPER
STAR
WARS

That loving GAME was what I cut my teeth on. I used to play it until my thumbs BLED.
My thumbs can, in fact, bend backwards because of that game.

And wanna know what's worse? THIS WAS MY ONLY loving GAME FOR 2 YEARS.
Excusing renting one or another game in blockbuster? This was it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It was either a handheld Battlestar Galactica game

or

Shufflepuck cafe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di8P3skzq2A

The joystick on the battlestar game was incredibly loving painful to use.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 14, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My young self's choices w/r/t which games to ask for for my birthday were actually pretty good, I knew to avoid licensed games already back then and just went for the ones that seemed the most imaginative and weird, like the Quintet games and so on.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I knew that I had basically assumed this forever and was only disabused of it when I played Mario Maker, so I decided to go back and see if I could determine the origin of this myth. I believe that it was Nintendo Power July ‘90, where on page 10 it says levels contain ‘10 coins block’. If you look in the SMB and SMB3 manual it doesn’t suggest it in either, both merely say that if you collect 100 coins you get an extra life.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mario games peaked with Super Mario World

edit: :corsair:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Randaconda posted:

Mario games peaked with Super Mario World 3

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Randaconda posted:

Mario games peaked with Super Mario World 2

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Randaconda posted:

Mario games peaked with Super Mario Bros 4

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Randaconda posted:

Mario games peaked with Super Mario Land 2

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Actually, they peaked with Super Mario Land 1, the absolute perfect Mario experience.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is objectively the best Mario game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pong was the only good game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ultrafilter posted:

SpaceWar was the only good game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The very first game I can remember at all (I was like 2? so it's really fuzzy) was one of those early consoles with paddles and a few mutations of Pong-like games. I can't find the model at the moment but I remember it being integrated paddles (no separate corded ones), orange ones on the side of a black tubular front part of the case. If anybody knows wtf I'm talking about, I'd appreciate a link.

Games I can remember clearly were Battle Zone (the first one with the periscope controls) and Phoenix for arcades, and 8-bit Atari I played on at my cousin's - World Karate Championship (better than any Street Fighter and Tekken combined :colbert:), Draconus, Montezuma's Revenge and its different demo version, Ninja, Zybex (the first one I ran on my very own Atari), Ballblazer. Also I almost shat my pants when the alien jumped out in Behind Jaggi Lines and refused to play that scary game anymore.

Palpek posted:

I remember how we were waiting completely frozen and silent while it was loading because the smallest movement could interrupt the cassette loading process.
:same:

Don't sneeze or it won't load.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Actually, they peaked with Super Mario Land 1, the absolute perfect Mario experience.
Every time a Mario game pauses for a power-up I scream at my screen that I wish I was back in Sarasaland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every time a Mario game pauses for a power-up I scream at my screen that I wish I was back in Sarasaland

The superball was the best powerup in any Mario game. In the pyramid level there's a part where a sphinx guy sits on a ledge and there's some blocks above you. You can shoot the ball in a certain spot so it bounces off the ground and onto the blocks a few times, then up on the left side of the screen and up and down on top of the blocks a few more times, before bouncing off the right hand wall and into the back of the sphinx guy. It's the ultimate own.