Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

yikes! posted:

we had a nacho option every day and that was my lunch 90% of the time. It was just chips, ground beef, and nacho cheese and I wish I had some right now.

Were the beef and the cheese separate entities?

In my elementary school, the nachos were a handful of stale chips covered in a brown lumpy goo that tasted both vaguely meaty and cheesy.

I stopped eating cafeteria food after getting a big chunk of gristle in a turkey and gravy lunch, and crunching down on that thing managed to put me off ever eating cafeteria food again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat if I ever saw someone get an order of breadsticks with dipping sauce at lunch I’d think it was the fuckin’ Taj Mahal

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gay Weed Dad posted:

- 2x bread sticks with a ladle of marinara

oh, you mean ITALIAN DUNKERS :discourse:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

oh, you mean ITALIAN DUNKERS :discourse:

What the gently caress, is that just white bread and marinara?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Close. White bread and ketchup.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The fact I’m not able to find the pictures they’re using via google image search has me concerned that Pastry of the Year is currently being exposed to this on an ongoing basis.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

One time I forgot my lunch money at home and didn't realize it until I got to the register. "Can I just give ya'll the dollar tomorrow" was not acceptable so they took my tray and made my first grade self go without lunch. I learned to never ask for forgiveness from The Man and I didn't forget my money after that. Baltimore city public school.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

this looks like a screencap from a Tim and Eric sketch

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact I’m not able to find the pictures they’re using via google image search has me concerned that Pastry of the Year is currently being exposed to this on an ongoing basis.

Fortunately, no.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

SCP# 2762A: The HCP

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

SCP# 2762A: The HCP

...somebody hosed that pita, didn’t they?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
my cousin got into meth its terrible seeing them like this

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The slice of cheese, lol

These are just doritos holy sit

Patties of what!?

These are just the best. I am very hungry.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I remember loving the school breakfast in 2nd/3rd grade. if they didn't have French toast with that nastily good syrup, I'd usually get one of the single serve containers of cinnamon toast crunch with a BAG of chocolate milk to pour into it. I quickly turned into a fat little fucker throughout elementary school

my one lasting memory of middle school lunch is the huge microwavable burritos they had at the a la carte window. they served them to us still steaming inside the plastic wrapper. there was always a high risk of burning your mouth on the first bite and also having other parts of the burrito still be half-frozen. they were disgusting, but still the best available option because the pizza was awful

in high school I had a slice of extra greasy pizza or a dry rear end chicken sandwich almost every loving day for my first two years. my last two years I was able to leave campus so my lunch turned into slightly better pizza from the corner store along with lots and lots of Arizona iced teas.

I can't imagine eating any of that poo poo now

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

jokes posted:

The slice of cheese, lol

These are just doritos holy sit

Patties of what!?

These are just the best. I am very hungry.

Burn this country to the ground.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

One big slab of molten fat melting into the earth

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s wild, NY State required it by law.

When did you have time to eat it? I got on the bus at like 6:30am and got there around 7:30am or so and it was off to the races. The buses only gave us about 15 minutes to get to class before school started.

To be fair I've had my brain shocked a lot and don't remember much of school in my childhood.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When did you have time to eat it? I got on the bus at like 6:30am and got there around 7:30am or so and it was off to the races. The buses only gave us about 15 minutes to get to class before school started.

The busses where I was (Duchess county, NY) let us off at 7 and class wasn’t til 730, so we had plenty of time.

It was like a bit under 600 people in all 4 grades, so there wasn’t too much of a line for the bagels.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd kill to have bagels for breakfast at school.

Bagels are a delivery vehicle for cream cheese which I'd look like a goon just shoveling cream cheese into my face so the bagel helps.

gently caress now I want a bagel. I'm gonna buy some later. Sad grocery store ones but that's all I got. :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hardon Crime posted:

some kids turned them into a pile of bullshit by piling on olives and mayo but it was possible to make a sammy that wasnt completely loving garbage

That reminded me of a post HugeGrossBurrito did in my Subway thread.

I posted a pic of my sub.

And HGB went with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I'd kill to have bagels for breakfast at school.

Bagels are a delivery vehicle for cream cheese which I'd look like a goon just shoveling cream cheese into my face so the bagel helps.

gently caress now I want a bagel. I'm gonna buy some later. Sad grocery store ones but that's all I got. :(

You better believe I always paid the extra for the second cream cheese container.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You better believe I always paid the extra for the second cream cheese container.

:hmmyes:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the square pizzas were the freakin best with their processed sausage crumbles and greasy "chease"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Schools are legally required to give you time to eat your food if you qualify for school breakfast and lunch, you just missed the first 10 minutes of first period or you ate your food in class.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I always brought my lunch. I think I bought lunch at school maybe 3 or 4 times, mainly when they had these surprisingly good beef stick things.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

the square pizzas were the freakin best with their processed sausage crumbles and greasy "chease"

You can go to hell. That soggy undercooked piece of poo poo was a crime to children.

This is one of the best pics I found of that garbage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That looks amazing compared to my schools pizza. It was basically mozzarella cheese and oregano flakes melted onto a piece of styrofoam flatbread. I think I ate it twice throughout 12 years of public education.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah the kind I had was always under cooked and it was lightly dusted with cheese.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
We had both the hexagon Mexican Pizza and the rectangle one. I recall liking both of them.

The only other thing I remember eating was pretty decent roasted chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy and green beans. It wasn't great but it was fine.

I do know there was no junk food, vending machines, candy, coke any of that. This was into high school, end of the 80s. I heard just a few years later things starting changing.

Also my freshman year was the last year the high school still had a smoking section for students. :lol:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah in middle school for me in the mid 90's you ate whatever the single meal was on the menu, there wasn't any choice whatsoever. to drink you got a small milk carton but everyone bought soda at the convenience store next door before school and drank that. I remember one day me and a few friends smuggled in a 2-liter of surge and acted out the commercials shouting SURGE and spraying the stuff everywhere before getting a week of detention or something.

In high school there was the option of the same school lunches we had in middle school or personal pans from a pizza hut express, which was a tiny separate counter built into a little niche in the hallway and not in the main lunchroom, so every lunch hour that hallway became a mosh pit packed full of students trying to get to the counter with no organization at all, sometimes you were lucky if you got your pizza before lunch hour was over. about once a week some extremely clever person would crush one of those glass stink bomb vials in the middle of it all

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

You can go to hell. That soggy undercooked piece of poo poo was a crime to children.

This is one of the best pics I found of that garbage.

DELISH!!! :yum:

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Fuckin' love me some square pizza. The best thing was getting two and mashing them together like a greasy cheese oreo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

School lunches are criminal. Jamie Oliver had it right but the US failed in trying to make school lunches healthier. You can't just mandate healthier food. You need to appropriate money for it. Funding for schools in the US is just terrible and the cost of non-garbage food is just too much that could go towards the football team.
What's weird to me is this just seems like the opposite of pretty basic econ 101 rules.

I was one of those kids that brought lunch because school lunch was kind of expensive for what you got and my family was poor. Most days I'd have basically the exact brown paper bag lunch you'd picture: something like a pb&j sandwich, a banana, and a ziplock of some crackers or a granola bar or such. This was consistently cheaper than what the school would offer, probably under half the cost, and probably had 10% of the salt content.

As an adult I pack lunch for work most days, mostly cause I don't wanna grab fast food or such, and it's typically something easy to heat up in a microwave, leftover soup, stirfries, casseroles, that sort of thing. And again, it's cheaper that the apparent national average of school lunch costs.

So why is it that school districts seem to live entirely out of prepackaged overpriced garbage where not only is the money for a meal more than many families can afford, but it's like not even good food? They're doing it at such a large scale you'd think the whole economy of scale aspect would make it quite cheap. You could literally delver pallets of produce because you're cooking for so many.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

What's weird to me is this just seems like the opposite of pretty basic econ 101 rules.

it's grift and federal contracts, I'm pretty sure.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ArbitraryC posted:

I was one of those kids that brought lunch because school lunch was kind of expensive for what you got and my family was poor. Most days I'd have basically the exact brown paper bag lunch you'd picture: something like a pb&j sandwich, a banana, and a ziplock of some crackers or a granola bar or such. This was consistently cheaper than what the school would offer, probably under half the cost, and probably had 10% of the salt content.

As an adult I pack lunch for work most days, mostly cause I don't wanna grab fast food or such, and it's typically something easy to heat up in a microwave, leftover soup, stirfries, casseroles, that sort of thing. And again, it's cheaper that the apparent national average of school lunch costs.

So why is it that school districts seem to live entirely out of prepackaged overpriced garbage where not only is the money for a meal more than many families can afford, but it's like not even good food? They're doing it at such a large scale you'd think the whole economy of scale aspect would make it quite cheap. You could literally delver pallets of produce because you're cooking for so many.

Lunch workers don't really do much. Maybe put the frozen pizza in the oven or assemble some frozen chicken sandwiches. Just hire a few cooks and use fresher ingredients. Vegetables can be cheap if bought in bulk. Grains, rice, potatoes are dirt cheap. Just make a protein one day, add a side of a starch and a vegetable. Probably the same cost as the premade garbage from a giant food service company and isn't literally indirectly killing you.

I don't know, I'm not sure how this stuff works. I'm sure it could be done cheaper and healthier.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
How does the glorious USA school lunch system handle dietary requirements, vegetarian, vegan, halal, etc?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

yoloer420 posted:

How does the glorious USA school lunch system handle dietary requirements, vegetarian, vegan, halal, etc?

lol

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Northern Ireland lunchroom food spoilered

It tended to change on a weekly basis. There were some staples like fries, roast potatoes, various kinds of rice. They usually got combo-ed with burgers, slices of roast meat, various curries or chilis, respectively. Dessert was usually some weird variation on a sponge cake served with custard or a bizarre pink blancmange, but occasionally we'd get some good poo poo like little cups of Carte D'Or or Haagen-Daas ice cream.

Once a month or so they would cook up a "world food" menu where it would be cheap school renditions of popular international dishes. So we'd get Mexican one week, Italian another. Indian, Chinese and Philipino also cropped up.

The world food stuff was great, since the kitchen tended to cook far more of that poo poo than people would ever ask for. So you could wolf down your first 2 quesadillas and head straight back up to the counter for 2 more, and then 2 more after that.

My school also had a pretty decent breakfast menu but that was for the rich kids whose parents dropped them off early and who had money. The rest of us just milked the free lunches for all they were worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yoloer420 posted:

they probably do something now but back in the day I think they just relied on the fact that any kid who would bring something like that up would get peer bullied into shutting up about it, or they brought stuff from home