Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Badactura posted:

In Shadows of the Empire book they are doing a shadowrun on a tower on Coruscant and Luke is uncomfortable because they're going through the sewers and he smelss some poo poo. He goes on to think about when you smell something little particles of it go into your nose so you actually are kinda touching it. That is the only part of the book I remember.

I hate poo poo, it’s coarse and rough and it gets everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
in the game Dash rendar gets an aquatic jetpack and swims through the sewers!!!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dash Rendar posted:

in the game Dash rendar gets an aquatic jetpack and swims through the sewers!!!

I skimmed the SotE LP, but I love the theory that since the book canon supercedes the game canon, everything in the game that's contradicted in the book (Game-Dash lands on Zhar and fights Boba Fett vs Book-Dash ditches the rescue party because he wasn't paid to fight) is a result of Dash lying about everything)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

I skimmed the SotE LP, but I love the theory that since the book canon supercedes the game canon, everything in the game that's contradicted in the book (Game-Dash lands on Zhar and fights Boba Fett vs Book-Dash ditches the rescue party because he wasn't paid to fight) is a result of Dash lying about everything)

The sex bot, the space rapist, the Emperor and Darth Vader having a political debate, it's all true, all of it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
These critiques are really unfair. There are only two terrible Star wars books.

A: The comic books.

B: The regular mostly just words books.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Badactura posted:

In Shadows of the Empire book they are doing a shadowrun on a tower on Coruscant and Luke is uncomfortable because they're going through the sewers and he smelss some poo poo. He goes on to think about when you smell something little particles of it go into your nose so you actually are kinda touching it. That is the only part of the book I remember.

This is the one thing from this book that's managed to endure in my memory over the decades as well hahaha.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I remember it for the audiobook inexplicably having it's own unique music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsqH-q2D-04

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SRQ posted:

The actual soundtrack to the Shadows of the Empire book is actually pretty rad in a lot of places. It has this 80s Jim Henson movie vibe to it and feels a lot like it fell out of a dimensional rip and is this artifact of the lost 4th OT movie we never got in this hell timeline.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

The actual soundtrack to the Shadows of the Empire book is actually pretty rad in a lot of places. It has this 80s Jim Henson movie vibe to it and feels a lot like it fell out of a dimensional rip and is this artifact of the lost 4th OT movie we never got in this hell timeline.

Imagine if Lucas was actually a visionary instead of sitting on his rear end and waiting for other people to develop tech and made SOTE in 1995.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SRQ posted:

Lucasfilm treated SotE as a dry run for the prequels to see how well they could develop, manage and market a new Star Wars project, which is why there was a soundtrack for a book.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Lucasfilm treated SotE as a dry run for the prequels to see how well they could develop, manage and market a new Star Wars project, which is why there was a soundtrack for a book.

I wonder what it's like for Lucas to call you and be all "We need star wars music but I'm not willing to pay Williams, wanna be our silver medal?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SRQ posted:

I wonder what it's like for Lucas to call you and be all "We need star wars music but I'm not willing to pay Williams, wanna be our silver medal?"

I mean, according to Wikipedia the dude's career has been largely TV movies and Disney direct to video sequels, so saying "I got to work on Star Wars*" is probably a career highlight for him.

Also that "we didn't want to pay John Williams for this poo poo" line can be applied to Michael Giacchino and that dude has nothing but a string of homeruns in his CV.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wonder who did the Droids intro song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7XCe2XorcY

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder who did the Droids intro song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7XCe2XorcY

The drummer for The Police

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

That sexy A-Wing.
also B-Wings are apparently quite spacious.

inb4 wookipedia has a special B-Wing model to explain that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The drummer for The Police

Nice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SRQ posted:

That sexy A-Wing.
also B-Wings are apparently quite spacious.

inb4 wookipedia has a special B-Wing model to explain that.

Joke's on you, there isn't a wookieepedia article on any "higher passenger capacity B-Wing".

Instead there's this weird off-brand Star Wars wiki article on a "B-Wing Shuttle" https://swse.fandom.com/wiki/B-Wing_Shuttle :v:

But that's not really quite right because it doesn't have the passengers in the cockpit. There is this thing that never actually appears anywhere, but it's a bigger B-Wing that had its cockpit scavenged to be part of the new rebel transports in the sequel movies.

Which joins the couple of weird vague similarities between the old Droids series and Force Awakens. I bet there's more, but I'm not going to go watch the entire droids series to find out. I don't even really want to watch the sequel movies again. I wasted too much time with this post.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

shitposting by making characters mimick an old lovely cartoon sounds like abrams

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hire the guy who did the Wide World of Sports theme to make music for Star Wars. I want to see Kylo Ren eat poo poo going down a slalom hill.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Actually no gently caress that get the guy who did the Coach’s Corner theme. I want to see Darth Vader dressed in an ugly plaid suit rambling incoherently until he says something shockingly racist and he gets yanked off Imperial TV.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

"The planet looked distorted, like they were looking at it through a glass globe. It is the fourth state of matter, the Mezzicanley Wave. Now the ice will begin expanding, and the planet will soon explode."

Why did Vector Prime try to end with this bizzare psuedo science fiction stuff? I never quite understood it, but they melted the planet which made it somehow explode because it got colder.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

SRQ posted:

"The planet looked distorted, like they were looking at it through a glass globe. It is the fourth state of matter, the Mezzicanley Wave. Now the ice will begin expanding, and the planet will soon explode."

Why did Vector Prime try to end with this bizzare psuedo science fiction stuff? I never quite understood it, but they melted the planet which made it somehow explode because it got colder.
Here's my galaxy-brain question about Vector Prime:

Why ??

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SRQ posted:

To establish that the Vong's biotechnology didn't play by the rules of bullshit fantasy science/physics as we understand them, so they can do ~*~*~crazy things~*~*~ in addition to also being Force voids so they are a problem that can't just be Jedi'd away.

(My big "huh" about Vector Prime was how Danni Quee was set up to be a SUPER powerful Force-sensitive; her mere presence was enough to draw the good guys' attention to that not-Hoth planet where the Vong were keeping prisoners and staging their next step...and then she just completely disappeared from the series for like 2 years after that. Cameo appearances, at best, in all the mass market fill-in novels. I gather that she came back later in the NJO series, but I was in college by that point and had given up on trying to keep up with the EU.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Actually no gently caress that get the guy who did the Coach’s Corner theme. I want to see Darth Vader dressed in an ugly plaid suit rambling incoherently until he says something shockingly racist and he gets yanked off Imperial TV.

"What's the deal about the Krytos virus? Nonhumans are all panicking about it, but I'm fine, I don't see any stormtroopers asking for sick days!"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

JethroMcB posted:

To establish that the Vong's biotechnology didn't play by the rules of bullshit fantasy science/physics as we understand them, so they can do ~*~*~crazy things~*~*~ in addition to also being Force voids so they are a problem that can't just be Jedi'd away.

(My big "huh" about Vector Prime was how Danni Quee was set up to be a SUPER powerful Force-sensitive; her mere presence was enough to draw the good guys' attention to that not-Hoth planet where the Vong were keeping prisoners and staging their next step...and then she just completely disappeared from the series for like 2 years after that. Cameo appearances, at best, in all the mass market fill-in novels. I gather that she came back later in the NJO series, but I was in college by that point and had given up on trying to keep up with the EU.)

I always assumed that Danni was supposed to be a romance for Jacen and that got derailed by them turning him into the next Darth Vader.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
If everyone itt had read the crystal star and children of the jedi, no other books would have been mentioned

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Children_of_the_Jedi_(novel)

holy lol the continuity issues section

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SRQ posted:

To be fair, a lot of EU books that mentioned the Clone Wars/rise of the Empire timeframe got hit by issues when Attack of the Clones came out. The Heir to the Empire books have weird cloning issues caused by the Force and mention something along the lines of Pellaeon having fought power-mad cloners during the Clone Wars.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 29, 2020

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

That's fine, but the majority of it was literally whoever wrote it (or at least the editor) didn't bother reading the rest of the EU or asking the higher ups to clarify things.
Leia's age is a hilarious one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SRQ posted:

quote:

There is conflicting information on when the story takes place; according to various statements within the text, it is set in 11, 12, and 13 ABY. However, it is officially set at 12 ABY. There is also an issue with the dating of the Clone Wars, which (along with a comment in Darksaber) are stated as ended prior to the Jedi Purge. It is also implied that Order 66 may not have been issued until after Palpatine became Galactic Emperor. Additionally, Leia's age is stated as "not quite thirty" and later as "twenty-six," although in 12 ABY, she would be thirty-one years old.

Additionally, Dannik Jerriko is spelled "Danik Jericho," SoroSuub is spelled as "Sorosub," and "Seinar Corporation" was likely intended to be Santhe/Sienar Technologies. Thrawn is also stated as having been a High Admiral, and the X-34 landspeeder is referred to as a T-70. Furthermore, it's wrongly stated that Luke Skywalker destroyed the Sun Crusher, when in fact it was Kyp Durron. Still more, it is wrongly stated that Luke felt the Destruction of Carida through The Force, where in Champions of the Force at that time he was in a state of unconsciousness.

The character of Triv Pothman and the other stormtroopers scheduled to be deployed aboard the Eye of Palpatine comes into conflict with the later clone troopers of the prequel trilogy; however, it is possible they are early non-clone recruits or GeNode clones.

Finally, there are issues with the description of the members of the Jedi Order as depicted here, specifically their decentralized structure and acceptance of family and relationship ties. Other than brief statements that Plett and Djinn Altis belonged to a "rogue" sect as mentioned in Callista's entry in The New Essential Guide to Characters, this issue has been retconned in Karen Traviss's The Clone Wars: No Prisoners, which details this rogue sect in full.

raping my childhood

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Callista ended up getting eaten by Force-Cthulhu.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I love the idea that "having natural human relationships" meant you were rogue.

The jedi were bad and deserved to be wiped out change my mind.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SRQ posted:

The jedi were bad and deserved to be wiped out change my mind.

In the TV show they figure out that Dooku made the clones for them as part of a Sith plot and do nothing about it

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Wait. I don’t see a continuity issues section when I pull up that link on mobile. It’s just a short plot post with a behind the scenes section.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In the TV show they figure out that Dooku made the clones for them as part of a Sith plot and do nothing about it

they also find out order 66 exists and let it go because they get conned into thinking it was an anti-aggression chip.
the jedi do not investigate this further and take everyone at their word.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

SRQ posted:

Have you considered teenage love drama amplified by the Force, though.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
stormtroopers being clones or child soldiers who are brainwashed sucks so much.

they're just assholes in armor just like everyone else

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

SRQ posted:

That's fine, but the majority of it was literally whoever wrote it (or at least the editor) didn't bother reading the rest of the EU or asking the higher ups to clarify things.
Leia's age is a hilarious one.

"Additionally, Leia's age is stated as "not quite thirty" and later as "twenty-six," although in 12 ABY, she would be thirty-one years old."

The author thought Leia was 14 in Star Wars? Wtf

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gargamel Gibson posted:

"Additionally, Leia's age is stated as "not quite thirty" and later as "twenty-six," although in 12 ABY, she would be thirty-one years old."

The author thought Leia was 14 in Star Wars? Wtf

This seems to be a recurring thing. Didn’t the Prequels say that we’re supposed to believe that Padmé is supposed to be like 13 in The Phantom Menace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Amidala is 14 in Phantom Menace, being played by a 16 year old Portman and a 12(!) year old Knightley