Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

roarpower posted:

This is somehow the weirdest and most relatable post on the forum

Nothing weird about it. Dogs own across the board and improve any situation they're in by a magnitude of Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
People saying that the white collar ease of WFH proof from this pandemic is gonna change the workforce landscape and require less busywork of just showing up when obviously you only need a couple hours a day to do what you do between browsing youtube.

Feel like it's a bunch more likely they'll just realize they got a whole lot of redundancy and people who could realistically be billed for 15hrs/week.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

i think everyone already knows that.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

thats why people want those jobs

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

ArbitraryC posted:

People saying that the white collar ease of WFH proof from this pandemic is gonna change the workforce landscape and require less busywork of just showing up when obviously you only need a couple hours a day to do what you do between browsing youtube.

Feel like it's a bunch more likely they'll just realize they got a whole lot of redundancy and people who could realistically be billed for 15hrs/week.
My position requires me to be available to take calls during our service desk hours. They are coming from health care professionals. Normally I'm steadily busy (25-35 calls in a day plus e-mails) but people have more important things to think about and so it has been quiet.

I'm glad I can do cat yoga and clean my plates in the downtime instead of just occupying a seat

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Rat posted:

My position requires me to be available to take calls during our service desk hours. They are coming from health care professionals. Normally I'm steadily busy (25-35 calls in a day plus e-mails) but people have more important things to think about and so it has been quiet.

I'm glad I can do cat yoga and clean my plates in the downtime instead of just occupying a seat

In some industries, typically lower paid, every hour of someone not working is an hour worth of tangible work not done and an hour less of revenue from sales in either services or products rendered.

Less email and phonecalls among middle management and administrative types for a month or so might just kinda make people realize "and nothing of value was lost".

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floodixor posted:

Nothing weird about it. Dogs own across the board and improve any situation they're in by a magnitude of Dog.

I am fairly sure I cannot mathematically argue with that

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Less email and phonecalls among middle management and administrative types for a month or so might just kinda make people realize "and nothing of value was lost".

I think this was a major plot point in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 3.

I've done office work for a long time and it's interesting to be able to sort peoples' value in a range from "could be replaced by a bobbing bird toy" to "for the love of god don't leave, we'll all die cold and alone if you do." I'm lucky and learned the skills for a niche job in a big industry so I like to hope I'm closer to latter end of the scale than the former but who can say? That said, if there's a mass exodus of the people who want me to provide redundant status updates and time estimates instead of, you know, MAKING the thing, I'd be hard pressed to shed a tear.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm still scheduled for weekly meetings with my coworkers and boss. Yet I can't actually do any work from home? The one on one is gonna be real awkward.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Well now all those massive rolls of toilet paper I've been regularly stealing for the last 15 years are actually going to be used for their real purpose: making GBS threads while at work.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

I'm preparing myself to run bartertown.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Helpful video for WFH wankers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

Well now all those massive rolls of toilet paper I've been regularly stealing for the last 15 years are actually going to be used for their real purpose: making GBS threads while at work.

boss makes a dollar I make a nickel
so I use company tissue for my brown eye tickle

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've been fortunate enough to work from home 2-3x a week for awhile before coronavirus got everyone else doing it.

The only parts about working from home that sucks is the work part and the creeping sense of social isolation, otherwise I feel like working at home cuts a good 90% of the performative fake busy that people in an office do when they're waiting out a clock but are done with their work.

I still get all of my work done on time and even still have crunch times where I'm burning on both ends but overall not having to put on an act for some middle management blowhard or my backstabbing, snitch coworkers is the best.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I suspect people are working more at my company because there's no delineation between work and home time. Nothing to break the cycle like getting in a car and driving home. Maybe it's just me though...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ive done probably 3 hours of legit work (emails and spreadsheets) so far this week while working from home OP

i wake up, no clock watching. wash my BALLS, walk to the coffee shop for a coffee, come home make breakfast and eventually pull up to the computer for a lil worky worky

the gently caress u know OP!?!??!

:grin:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

At the beginning of April I start another contract and will be exposed to other fellow contractors from all over the country, some of whom may or may not have worked overseas recently. I want the money, don't get me wrong, but I can't think of a more perfect vector to spread this poo poo and I'm a little concerned. I'm not old so I'm not worried about it killing me really, but loving hell.

Unfortunately you can't refuel a nuclear power plant from home. So maybe while working from home sucks, it could be worse?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Honky Dong Country posted:

Unfortunately you can't refuel a nuclear power plant from home. So maybe while working from home sucks, it could be worse?

Could you just wear a hazmat suit the entire time? Or maybe, like, have another hazmat suit you change into instead of street clothes? It seems weird that yours of all jobs would have a blasé attitude towards contamination.

BTW I love your work threads, if you expect death on your next contract please at least have us along for the ride.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I’m not having a particularly good time working from home - I’m the type of person who’s super bad at it and has a hard time staying focused/motivated. My company (which is cool) has always been super generous with WFH, but I rarely utilized it because I just liked going into the office and doing face to face collaboration and being in an entirely different space, both physically and mentally.

There are definitely upsides - no doing makeup, serious lunch money savings, and way more porch time now that the weather is getting nice. It’d be way better if I had a cat to keep me company.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ikr, I wish there had been a good way to set up cat/dog fostering before poo poo got real

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Could you just wear a hazmat suit the entire time? Or maybe, like, have another hazmat suit you change into instead of street clothes? It seems weird that yours of all jobs would have a blasé attitude towards contamination.

BTW I love your work threads, if you expect death on your next contract please at least have us along for the ride.

Mostly we just hyper-amish-shun anybody that seems even slightly sick. You don't really wear hazmat gear in my line of work since we don't actually do hazmat work.

Radiological work and hazmat are actually two different things, really. None of that is gonna protect me from the nuclear contractor diaspora that takes up residence in every nuke site's shops bringing god knows what germs and viruses with them. Lots of people get sick in the best of times, much like military bootcamp. It happens any time you have a lot of people bringing their own regional brand of germs to the infectious melting pot.

Just this time there might be the coronavirus. We'll see!

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 19, 2020

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

bitterandtwisted posted:

My boss scheduled a 9am videocall on Teams every day this week. Possibly to make sure I'm wearing clothes.

what the hell is your webcam setup that you have to wear pants? just sleep in a shirt and tie and no pants

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

At least at the dick sucking factory, they gave us those nice rubber mats to kneel on. :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sorry OP I can’t relate I have a Steelcase Leap and a 55” 4K monitor

Slip
Jan 20, 2001
WFH is dope for me. Sling lovely code and do documentation without distractions and get to take my dogs for a walk at lunch.

Feel the dude who said he hasn't been able to jerk off yet with his wife around.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If you can't wank with your wife around that's a marriage problem, not a work problem

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Honky Dong Country posted:

You don't really wear hazmat gear in my line of work since we don't actually do hazmat work.

Radiological work and hazmat are actually two different things, really.

Oh, okay then. Thanks! I always learn something cool from you.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm still showing up to my co-working space. I live in a one bedroom apartment and there's really no room for all my computer poo poo.

There's less people there than in the before times but I dunno maybe it's still a bad idea? :shrug:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Oh, okay then. Thanks! I always learn something cool from you.

I'm glad an irradiated roughneck like me can still provide a little information to people. But really as a radworker I spend most of my time outside radiologically controlled areas in civilian clothes preparing myself for the next jump. And even when we're going hard we're not wearing hazmat gear. Everything guys like me wear on the job is there just to be peeled off at the end of the job. The idea is for the protective clothing to get contaminated rather than your body (both external and internal) so that when the jump/job is over you peel all that poo poo off and come out clean. Absolutely none of that qualifies as hazmat in any way, shape, or form. And we certainly don't wear poo poo that'd qualify as hazmat all day every day. Guys like me are just as exposed to contagion as everybody else, except I work with people from all over the country and sometimes outside of it.

So yeah I'm a little nervous about my upcoming outage. Because of my age and health I don't have any fear of dying from this poo poo, but godamn it I don't want any part of this crap in general.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I live in a one bedroom apartment and there's really no room for all my computer poo poo.

I used to wfh a lot back in the days when I worked at a robotics company and lived in a studio apt so I don't believe u

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Queen Victorian posted:

It’d be way better if I had a cat to keep me company.
go to the shelter and adopt a cat or two. Cats make the best office managers, they let u slack off and read the forums in exchange for chin scratches :3:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I am 100% in favor of adopting some pets for your business.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ask yourself if anybody that's unwilling to pet a friendly cat or dog is worth doing business with. :colbert:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Office work isn't the norm in my industry so it was pretty shocking to see how little office workers did day to day when I moved into that position and had to work with adjacent departments lol

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Video conference where people don't mutr their mics before taking their 4 yappy dogs fir a walk while moving boxes

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My job is mostly telepresence even from the office and I'm a big fan of always wearing pants so all I really get out of this is 30 minutes a day of commute time knocked off which I then lose to having to hit reconnect 5 times every meeting because all you fuckers are clogging the Skype tubes.

ubrnme
Mar 9, 2020

send help
Working from home is such a mixed bag!

There are (rare) days when colleagues and clients are quiet on Slack & Zoom, giving you the chance to blast through your task list like your life depends on it.

Then you get to kick back and do whatever you want - animated animals bust through your windows and place a flower crown on your head/start preparing your lunch and making your bed, etc. Those days are incredible, and you get to enjoy them sans pants.

Every other day is filled with numerous inane Slack @s and video 1:1s with people that have no direct effect on your role. Clients blow up your inbox with ridiculous last minute requests that eat into their bucket of hours which is guaranteed to piss them off later, despite you taking the time to explain this to them (for the 1000th time) now. You get nothing done and feel mentally exhausted. You dread waking up to do it all over again.

It feels isolating at times, too. When you're alone, it's a little bit easier to sink into your worst habits - keep the blinds closed all day? Check. Shower? No! Eat a proper meal? Hahaha why bother! I have gas station chips!

...Maybe I need a new gig, hahaha!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Icochet posted:

If you can't wank with your wife around that's a marriage problem, not a work problem

Plus if your wife is around you should be working on helping that baby boom in nine months. It is more fun then wanking and it fulfills your civic duty to repopulate once the corpses start piling up.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

As a cell center agent who works from home for a while it is nice to be able to use the juiced up gaming pc instead of the old clunkers offices typically use. I can also go to whatever websites I feel like and shitpost on the forums. I used to work in an office at one of my previous jobs, it was hell. Working from home owns, you just need a decent computer and a comfy enough chair.

The only thing that sucks is the massively increased call volume from all the computer illiterate people calling trying to get their email and vpn poo poo set up thanks to this dumb virus throwing everyone into a panic, not to mention the useless Tier1 department dumping calls they should be able to handle to our dept because they're too stupid to figure out how to powercycle a router apparently.

It's still worth it though since I hate commuting and wearing pants

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Is it just me or are people actually making fewer posts now that they’re all WFH? Or maybe I’m just bored and refreshing more often