Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I could swear to god there was a princess di mine clearing funko pop but google is turning up nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ihatechesspieces posted:

I've never understood the appeal. They are the ugliest figurines ever. I feel like the people that buy these are the same people that call their dogs "furbabies" and build their entire identity around Star Wars and/or Marvel movies.

They make them for pretty much every dumb nerd media property and they're cheap enough to be an impulse purchase, so you can get something signifying your obscure ~favorite character~ even if the resemblance is very slight. At least that's what I assume the appeal is. It may be psycho hoarders buying up every single one

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

Whenever I see specifically manufactured objects I realize that they came from an entire factory in China that is specifically for that one function and that the world is so much bigger than I will ever understand and that none of it concerns me and that I should have never been born.

My father was saved by a Kathy Lee suicide net installed to keep him alive long enough to produce me, a humble Fuko Pop maker.

berrylicious
Apr 3, 2020

Clark Nova posted:

When I googled this I was almost certain that it was going to turn out to be a bad-taste photoshop. Nope.

i haven't been bothered by much on the internet lately but loving yikes

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

ihatechesspieces posted:

I've never understood the appeal. They are the ugliest figurines ever.

How DARE you say that.

Just look at that beautiful slab of blue plastic.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ihatechesspieces posted:

They are the ugliest figurines ever. I feel like the people that buy these are the same people that call their dogs "furbabies" and build their entire identity around Star Wars and/or Marvel movies.

Ah, I see you've been introduced already. Good. That will make this process far less painful.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

This has to be the worst one

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Extra Large Marge posted:

This has to be the worst one

Did you even see the Dory posted above?

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Julius CSAR posted:

I could swear to god there was a princess di mine clearing funko pop but google is turning up nothing

wots your av from mate

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nocheez posted:

Did you even see the Dory posted above?

it looks like an electric pencil sharpener.

...I mean a pencil sharpener which operates via electricity not a sharpener FOR an electric pencil - I'm not sure there even IS such a thing as an electric pencil nor why such a thing would need sharpening if it did exist. One would imagine that if a pencil were electric in and of itself it would have the means to sharpen itself, or lacking that, be used in a way in which no sharpening would be needed. Furthermore...

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

it looks like an electric pencil sharpener.

...I mean a pencil sharpener which operates via electricity not a sharpener FOR an electric pencil - I'm not sure there even IS such a thing as an electric pencil nor why such a thing would need sharpening if it did exist. One would imagine that if a pencil were electric in and of itself it would have the means to sharpen itself, or lacking that, be used in a way in which no sharpening would be needed. Furthermore...

The Russians used a pen.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Every other desk at work has one of these things on it. At least it beats our other location where there was minions poo poo everywhere

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I once had a roommate who was absolutely baffled as to why I would waste money on fast food when cooking at home was so much cheaper.

Wouldn't be so weird if she didn't eat ramen and frozen fish sticks to increase her ever expanding collection of Funko Pops and Transformers.

I've yet to see anyone with any semblance of mental health or a personality collect them.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Chrs posted:

Who could forget the Princess Diana Funko Pop with the unfortunately named “Chase” limited edition.

Edit: forgot to tell this story. I know a guy who got fired from the video game store when this came in because he took a photo of it getting run over by a James Bond car and posted it on their social media. He is a dipshit

No loving way could this possibly exist

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

PTSDeedly Do posted:

You know you're looking at a photograph of it right?

and yes you absolutely can get more of sodding royal family and they probs have a bunch of variants in different outfits

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ready to see the most redundant Funko Pop ever?

It looks pretty much exactly like Olaf does normally

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
the 'you know i had to do it to em' guy but as a funko pop

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

She looks like a money based evil witch. It's perfect.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

When I googled this I was almost certain that it was going to turn out to be a bad-taste photoshop. Nope.

funko pops are stupid but the laura palmer one is about the only one I've seen that doesn't look pathetically ugly

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

kinda want the guy fieri funko pop

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

PTSDeedly Do posted:

I’ve seen a real one. They exist

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Imagine having a Funko room in your house. Just walls of carefully placed boxes. This product is a hackneyed art piece.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Duchamp's Fountain, Schamberg's God, Funko's Pop.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dely Apple posted:

Imagine 500 of these lined up on a wall in some gamestop

forever staring into you

through you

If that didn't have the name I would never guess that was Rigby. So somehow that is the worst Pop. Usually I can tell what the gently caress it is at least.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
buying Funko pops should make you legally allowed to be hunted for sport

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I was talking with my friend about the Mr Poopy Butthole breaking and his response was that he would replace it with a Bird Person next time we see each other :bang:

I guess the bright side is that I have a nice friend, but I don't want more ugly plastic junk...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nocheez posted:

I was talking with my friend about the Mr Poopy Butthole breaking and his response was that he would replace it with a Bird Person next time we see each other bang

I quoted this with the intent to make a joke of "If there was no context, just read that fuckin sentence. Goddamn, lol" or somesuch. And then when I quoted it, I saw the name of the smilie at the end of it, and took the ":"'s off of it and it made it even better, so now just the quote itself is still funny and you can fill in whatever joke you wanted me to make for the rest of it. Thanks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Zazi posted:

funko pops are stupid but the laura palmer one is about the only one I've seen that doesn't look pathetically ugly

It's because the horrid black eyes are closed

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

I quoted this with the intent to make a joke of "If there was no context, just read that fuckin sentence. Goddamn, lol" or somesuch. And then when I quoted it, I saw the name of the smilie at the end of it, and took the ":"'s off of it and it made it even better, so now just the quote itself is still funny and you can fill in whatever joke you wanted me to make for the rest of it. Thanks.

:lol: I'll take any humor at this point. I've been isolating for 2 more weeks than most people due to having the flu right before everything blew up.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
I was hoping the quarantine would force these "nik nak" collectors to stop and stare into the lifeless eyes of their funkos pops and reflect on their own soulless materialism in silence. Unfortunately, I have a feeling they will walk away wanting more trash to fill their void rather than less.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
I don't know if I could endure 5 minutes under the gruelling yet vacant stare of only one of those pop culture cadavers, let alone a wall of them. gently caress, I'd jump out a window.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Testing out my new comedy character, the 40 year-old man who makes fun of people for playing with dolls.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

tbh anyone with a large collection of anything always strikes me as vaguely weird and looking at the collection, even if its something cool like sports cars, always makes me feel unsettled. There's something about the act of compulsively amassing piles of stuff that strikes me as a manifestation of some degree of mental illness, especially in the case of collectibles when there's not even the possibility of using for some practical or social end

like I'm imagining if i walked into someone's house on a date or something and there was just a wall with $2000 of funkopops covering it from floor to ceiling. I think the smile would instantly fall off my face and I'd start backpeddling while mumbling some kind of vague comment like "oh wow. . . you really like funkopops," while trying and failing to curl my lips back into a fake smile before changing the subject to literally anything else

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

Testing out my new comedy character, the 40 year-old man who makes fun of people for playing with dolls.

Hmm yes, making fun of people is traditionally frowned upon on somethingawful.com

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
7 years old, stupid child: haha you play with dolls that's gay
37 years old, smart man: I get panic attacks looking at Funko Pops because the idea of people perceiving the world differently than I do threatens me

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I invest in amiibos instead because they have practical use and a real purpose

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Watch out people! The edgelords are here to defend funko pop owners.

I'm not saying I haven't spent money on stupid things - newly released video games that turned out to be dissapointing - but at least I got some sort of stimulation out of them and know now from experience to wait six months before buying. Seriously though, you drop ~$2000 dollars on a collectors edition of an ugly gaudy thing that just sits on your shelf? I can't quite put it in words but I think I found an appropriate image:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Valko posted:

The edgelords

You ever consider that someone disagreeing with you can do so from a rational and informed position and is not, in fact, neither defending the waste of money on toys nor would such defence be based on a personal failing or a desire to get a reaction out of you?

Just making sure you are equipped with the kindergarten technology for your day to day life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
These things make the Precious Moments figurines that weird moms collect seem classy and well made in comparison.