Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So that new Lower Decks show looks loving god-awful. I don't know why, exactly, but after roughly 20 straight years where the very best Trek we've gotten was "eh, good enough" I've finally circled back to a good ol' goon meltdown and I'm just... I can't anymore. I'm so sick of it. I'm so loving sick of it. Just once give me new Star Trek that is decently written and produced. By the sheer law of averages we should have something by now. Make it stop. Just make it loving stop.

Star Trek isn't sacred. Star Trek doesn't have to be something portentous or pretentious or plodding. It just has to be good. Swear and gently caress and have action scenes all you want. Mimic the stylings of Rick and Morty if you must. Take the piss out of every convention and idea Star Trek ever had. Retcon everything. Destroy the continuity. Turn Spock into a vicious rapist who quotes Donald Trump as a font of human wisdom. Make fun of the fans, including me, at every possible turn. Cheap out on the effects and production design. I don't care what you actually do, just for once make it loving good..

Good. Just make it good. Quit this mediocre, toe-the-line, trend-chasing, nostalgia-baiting, "can you believe I got hired to smoke weed all day?" bullshit.

I need something good. Please. Just one loving good thing.

Just once make me feel like you're trying for anyone other than yourselves.

That you give the slightest gently caress.

:negative:

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

After 20 years, the "Too Cool for School" argument doesn't look nearly as good as you think it does.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Klingon Babies but its claymation

voice by real kids reading Klingon phonetically

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just get the Steven Universe people to make Star Trek, since they just finished up already

Problem is that it's all the writers working on these things who are late to the party that no one likes too-cool edgy poo poo anymore, to be actually provocative you need to be openly empathetic and emotionally sincere

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

irony and sincerity are both played out. incomprehensibly alien is the way to go

horta. crew. when. coward. cbs?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Star Trek from the perspective of a control panel that's about to explode and kill two people.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

hortas and whales just chilling and being cool. we can make this world anything we want it to be

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

mind the walrus posted:

After 20 years, the "Too Cool for School" argument doesn't look nearly as good as you think it does.

Sorry, that wasn’t what I was going for but I can see why it came off like that. I wish Star Trek was good still too. The whole prestige tv “everyone must be unhappy at all times” thing they’ve leaned into does not suit what I always thought of Star Trek as: a generally lighthearted show that can dip into heavier things sometimes. Ds9 is about as grim as I can handle from this franchise

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Sorry, that wasn’t what I was going for but I can see why it came off like that. I wish Star Trek was good still too. The whole prestige tv “everyone must be unhappy at all times” thing they’ve leaned into does not suit what I always thought of Star Trek as: a generally lighthearted show that can dip into heavier things sometimes. Ds9 is about as grim as I can handle from this franchise

The grimness is neither fresh nor honest nor intelligent. Sopranos came into the world of Friends and Home Improvement and it was refreshing and interesting to have a show that wasn't so relentlessly upbeat. In 2020 we've been in it so long that it's stale, immature, and kind of unintentionally clownish. The sincere optimism of classic Trek feels both refreshing and grown up now, and it's definitely the sort of art we could use more of.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tulip posted:

The grimness is neither fresh nor honest nor intelligent. Sopranos came into the world of Friends and Home Improvement and it was refreshing and interesting to have a show that wasn't so relentlessly upbeat. In 2020 we've been in it so long that it's stale, immature, and kind of unintentionally clownish. The sincere optimism of classic Trek feels both refreshing and grown up now, and it's definitely the sort of art we could use more of.

The Picard show is basically lowest common denominator pulp fiction. No one would be complaining if it handled all its downer poo poo particularly well or if it had any larger purpose to it besides chasing trends in the most cynical way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
There's a big difference between actually shocking and shock for the sake of shock. Like the Borg part harvesting in an older show would be mentioned with horrified strings in the background, not shown.

Anyway, trying to figure a way to get a Thollian on a crew, that's a show I want to see.