Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trying to type a bunch of swears in mole dialect but its been too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want the Skaven to attack the Abbey.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want the Skaven to attack the Abbey.

Gimmie a badger version of Grimgor and im cool with this

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

verbal enema posted:

Gimmie a badger version of Grimgor and im cool with this

Isn't that just Boar The Fighter?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Do they eat meat or is it all vegetarian? And if so what meat??

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I want to say I remember them eating fish and birds like pheasants and quails, but I might be wrong. I feel like I remember them eating eggs too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Shrimp

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

I want to say I remember them eating fish and birds like pheasants and quails, but I might be wrong. I feel like I remember them eating eggs too.

in one of the early books someone catches a big grayling in the abbey pond and they eat it at one of their crazy feasts

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Brock Samson posted:

Do they eat meat or is it all vegetarian? And if so what meat??

The only thing I remember from the food descriptions in Red Wall is all the "nut meat" they talk about eating. I still think about "nut meat" whenever I'm chowin' down on some cashews.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't that just Boar The Fighter?

Oh yeah thats true

and yeah idk most of the meat eaten is shrimp and fish im pretty sure

i know there are cannibals like the Painted Ones and the toads n poo poo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
in the Long Patrol a couple of owls and their owlettes move in to the Abbey and the dad owl goes off to hunt for his family but i uh well im not sure what hes going to hunt considering that all the mice and moles and shrews aren't concerned about him bringing back a dead body

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

verbal enema posted:

in the Long Patrol a couple of owls and their owlettes move in to the Abbey and the dad owl goes off to hunt for his family but i uh well im not sure what hes going to hunt considering that all the mice and moles and shrews aren't concerned about him bringing back a dead body

Bad guy races, rats and weasels and the like.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The brother wildcat was a good guy who would've fit in at the abbey if the abbey had been a thing yet

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

its really funny that basically all rodents are good except for rats

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

also sort of a weird aside but when i grew up reading the books i always thought of the animals as being their north american equivalents, though Jacques of course wrote them as typical animals from his native english countryside. for instance when Jacques refers to weasels he is almost certainly referring to the least weasel, a species which is significantly smaller than the stoat; whereas here in the US weasel can refer to either the least weasel (ozzy the desk weasel) or the much larger long tailed weasel(bigger than a ferret).

Do mink ever show up as bad guys? its been so long.

When i read mossflower as a 12 year old i always thought the wildcats were bobcats or maybe lynxes but now i know they mustve been european wildcats

im curious where other common north american mammals like groundhogs, raccoons, skunks and grey foxes would fit in jacques' world of whimsical racism

welp bye

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I loved the book Redwall. Never really got into some of the other Brian Jacques books though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The anagram solution to the "I - am that is." repeated lines in Martin the Warrior's poem was mindblowing to kid me but seems like a real fuckin' stretch to adult me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

KiteAuraan posted:

Bad guy races, rats and weasels and the like.

Ew dont bring a dead rat into the abbey

Anne Whateley posted:

The brother wildcat was a good guy who would've fit in at the abbey if the abbey had been a thing yet

Oh yeah :smith:

Mode 7 posted:

The anagram solution to the "I - am that is." repeated lines in Martin the Warrior's poem was mindblowing to kid me but seems like a real fuckin' stretch to adult me.

pipe down mister

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
There was also that one dumb rat, Buggins or Blubber or something. He was good.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
"I-am that is" rules, big 2001 vibes for a book about racist mices

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Hares, Badgers = upper class White animals that all went to Sandhurst and provide civilising influence
Weasels, Rats, Stoats = we're not SAYING they're from the colonies and we're not SAYING they're a metaphor for Indian / Black people buuuuuuuuuuuut

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
why does no one ever talk about the sparra? why did brian jacques forsake them?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Trying to type a bunch of swears in mole dialect but its been too long

whut the blazes be ye bloody sayen 'bout oi, ye blasted dibbun-botherer? oi'll have ye noo oi wuz th'best bleedin' stoodent in oi's moler special ops class, oi've dun many a 'sassinating of cluny th'scourge's army, and oi've slain o'er fifteenscore vermin, burr aye

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Million Ghosts posted:

drat i forgot about the badass warrior birds

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

A CRAB IRL posted:

Hares, Badgers = upper class White animals that all went to Sandhurst and provide civilising influence
Weasels, Rats, Stoats = we're not SAYING they're from the colonies and we're not SAYING they're a metaphor for Indian / Black people buuuuuuuuuuuut

the Painted Ones often interject nonsense syllables at the beginning and end of their speach. Like 'Chooakkaka' and the like.

so after the hare's capture the chief to escape they called them savages and say they should be glad the civilised hare's won't kill him

:staredog:

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I remember when the one rabbit won the eating contest by going slow and steady, someone fill in the details here

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

posting to honor those who died at the battle of redwall.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

big boi posted:

I remember when the one rabbit won the eating contest by going slow and steady, someone fill in the details here

thats uh kinda what happened

and then she fought the dude hare and won that too

i cant remember which event she lost or what book that was

Was that brocktree?

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

How about that scene in Mossflower where Lady Amber and her squirrel archers summarily execute Fortunata while she tries to surrender? Good times.

Million Ghosts posted:

They were great and at the the time I was bothered that they just disappeared after Mattimeo, and always hoped they would get re-introduced.

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 14, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i vaguely recall a mink

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i vaguely recall a mink

yeah theres a mink somewhere in one of the books

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

free hubcaps posted:

also sort of a weird aside but when i grew up reading the books i always thought of the animals as being their north american equivalents, though Jacques of course wrote them as typical animals from his native english countryside. for instance when Jacques refers to weasels he is almost certainly referring to the least weasel, a species which is significantly smaller than the stoat; whereas here in the US weasel can refer to either the least weasel (ozzy the desk weasel) or the much larger long tailed weasel(bigger than a ferret).

Do mink ever show up as bad guys? its been so long.

When i read mossflower as a 12 year old i always thought the wildcats were bobcats or maybe lynxes but now i know they mustve been european wildcats

im curious where other common north american mammals like groundhogs, raccoons, skunks and grey foxes would fit in jacques' world of whimsical racism

welp bye

There are no skunks in the english countryside? :psyduck:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i vaguely recall a mink

There's a polecat in mattimeo i think

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
also dont forget that beyond all other animals in the world of Redwall

Serpernts are absolute pure evil

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

verbal enema posted:

I did a book report in elementary school and I still remember the look on my teacher's face when I said that the snake got its head chopped off

I may have done a little air sword swinging motion as I said it

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

verbal enema posted:

So just like in real life

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

verbal enema posted:

the Painted Ones often interject nonsense syllables at the beginning and end of their speach. Like 'Chooakkaka' and the like.

so after the hare's capture the chief to escape they called them savages and say they should be glad the civilised hare's won't kill him

:staredog:

Hahahaha gently caress yeeeep sounds about right

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I did a book report in elementary school and I still remember the look on my teacher's face when I said that the snake got its head chopped off

I may have done a little air sword swinging motion as I said it

badass

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

free hubcaps posted:

its really funny that basically all rodents are good except for rats
Voles are basically just in it for themselves

Million Ghosts posted:

drat I was about to bring up how weird it is to have this tribe living in the eaves of the Abbey and they barely (ever?) come up

verbal enema posted:

thats uh kinda what happened

and then she fought the dude hare and won that too

i cant remember which event she lost or what book that was

Was that brocktree?
Oh this is 100% Brocktree, but gently caress me if I can remember where or why any of this was happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its his buddy who has to best some hare cheiftan so that the hares i think join them to fight the enemy cat guy and his big rat army

enemy cat dude has a badass trident which imo is a weapon that is under represented past roman gladiators