Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Utah man now dawg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Utards LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Internetjack posted:

Honestly, I've always found it weird. I consider mormonism "the best capitalist religion" there is. Not a fan of religions in general, but their ability to mobilize and control their userbase is amazing. And they are spreading into northern California, Idaho, Washington, etc. Not just families, but the political and legislative bodies of those states.

I really don't get why they don't endorse alcohol and legal weed as they are such profitable industries. They conceded black people have souls so they would not lose their tax exempt status. It became okay to drink Pepsi when the church invested in Pepsico. Their health supplement industry leads the nation. Why not do weed and booze?

The actually did the black men had souls thing to improve BYU's sports record?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

Partly yes

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

We still hating on Utah?
I feel like the times I went, it was pretty ???

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

TheReverend posted:

We still hating on Utah?
I feel like the times I went, it was pretty ???

posters itt seem to be vaguely positive on Utah, actually.

although a lot of them appear to be from Utah. suspicious.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Strumpie posted:

posters itt seem to be vaguely positive on Utah, actually.

although a lot of them appear to be from Utah. suspicious.

Not in or from Utah, but it's on my list for retirement. I visited Arches, Moab, Zion, Fishlake Natl Forest, and a bunch of small towns out there last year; it was delightful if you're outdoorsy. Stunningly beautiful and the Mormons are all super nice. (Disclaimer: I'm white.)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Betazoid posted:

Not in or from Utah, but it's on my list for retirement. I visited Arches, Moab, Zion, Fishlake Natl Forest, and a bunch of small towns out there last year; it was delightful if you're outdoorsy. Stunningly beautiful and the Mormons are all super nice. (Disclaimer: I'm white.)

mormons are stupidly nice. i've lived in the south and the mormons make southerners look like new yorkers

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

goethe.cx posted:

mormons are stupidly nice. i've lived in the south and the mormons make southerners look like new yorkers

Yeah you just have to remember theyre assuming youre going to hell and waiting for the word to kill you and seize your property if poo poo hits the fan though.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

goethe.cx posted:

And like genuinely nice as opposed to the backhanded "bless your heart" southern nice.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Derpies posted:

Yeah you just have to remember theyre assuming youre going to hell and waiting for the word to kill you and seize your property if poo poo hits the fan though.

They are also trying to retroactivly suck dead people into their cult via shennanigans, also enjoy your probe, weirdo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Southerners are mean as poo poo, they're polite rather than nice. This gets confused a lot.

The Uppermost Midwest is the home of insane niceness.
Want to see a Utah vs Minnesota nice off.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Derpies posted:

I'm not a fan of mormons, but this isn't true at all. IIRC, there are three levels of heaven and most people are going to end up in one of them. I think hell is called 'outer darkness' and it's reserved for mormon Satan, his followers and people who talk on the phone at during a movie.

Anyway, Utahns are generally pretty nice all around.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 25, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

etalian posted:

I was under the impression that mormonism acknowledged black people, and poc in general as having souls, sometime in the 80's or 90's because the church's federal tax exemption status was threatened by "hey. you cannot be total racists pricks and get the free-from tax religion ticket!" So smiling black people in polo shirts started appearing in their media offerings at that time.

In its modern construct, the LDS church is a profit driven machine to the nth degree. Well designed, well oiled, and functioning at peak efficiency. Rome will be considered a bunch of smoothed brained idiots in a few more decades by comparison.

Regarding sports, this hillbilly looking mfer :https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066657/tj-haws
is actually a really decent basketballer. I only begrudgingly admit that as a 'zags fan.
Still not a very diverse lineup on the team in general

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Whelp my life is complete

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

staberind posted:

They are also trying to retroactivly suck dead people into their cult via shennanigans, also enjoy your probe, weirdo.

They don't actually give a poo poo though, it's performative for the sake of driving up their numbers. By they i mean whoever actually fills out the paperwork with your name.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I poo poo you not I showed my dad this video 10 years ago when he was flirting with becoming a Mormon and it stopped him.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I'mma go to Utah and bring BC weed and Craft Beer and teach 'em Mormon men and women how to gently caress. I will be worshipped as the new trans Joseph Smith and goons will flock to the state.

also the skiing in Park City was nice 10/10 would ski again

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Derpies posted:

Utards LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mods wnna explain why a utah resident got probed for a week for this? with a blatant and bold lie as a probe reason?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Statutory Ape posted:

mods wnna explain why a utah resident got probed for a week for this? with a blatant and bold lie as a probe reason?

You're welcome to take it to qcs or pm me, don't take this thread off topic.

E- If you can't pm and want to, we can fix that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 26, 2020

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
What do you call Mormon Hentai?

Futahnari!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You're welcome to take it to qcs or pm me, don't take this thread off topic.

The QCS thread about people that post in offsites is not one you want me to make

but i'll draw one up

i appreciate your moderation and guidance

E: also i'm glad i can count on you to respond to my future reports about off topic posts in threads!

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 25, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Internetjack posted:

I was under the impression that mormonism acknowledged black people, and poc in general as having souls, sometime in the 80's or 90's because the church's federal tax exemption status was threatened by "hey. you cannot be total racists pricks and get the free-from tax religion ticket!" So smiling black people in polo shirts started appearing in their media offerings at that time.

In its modern construct, the LDS church is a profit driven machine to the nth degree. Well designed, well oiled, and functioning at peak efficiency. Rome will be considered a bunch of smoothed brained idiots in a few more decades by comparison.

Regarding sports, this hillbilly looking mfer :https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066657/tj-haws
is actually a really decent basketballer. I only begrudgingly admit that as a 'zags fan.
Still not a very diverse lineup on the team in general

The most realistic thing about the Expanse TV series is how the space Mormons had no issue funding a massive spaceship.

The LDS church basically has a institutional amount of net worth hidden away from the public eye thanks to the whole religious tax exemption thing.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Orson Scott Card, known cool guy, wrote a weird book about Utah called "Folk of the Fringe"

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
isn't Utah the place with the mormon murder hole where they send in mormons and they don't come back out?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I thought that just WAS Utah

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Oh great, Mormons

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

mind the walrus posted:

I poo poo you not I showed my dad this video 10 years ago when he was flirting with becoming a Mormon and it stopped him.

My favorite line from 'The Godmakers' is 'endless celestial sex'.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm not a fan of mormons, but this isn't true at all. IIRC, there are three levels of heaven and most people are going to end up in one of them. I think hell is called 'outer darkness' and it's reserved for mormon Satan, his followers and people who talk on the phone at during a movie.

Anyway, Utahns are generally pretty nice all around.

until youre gay or not white. then they hate you but put on the nice act. and dont try to hit me with that in 1978 god said its ok to be black bullshit.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’ve been in Utah for over 40 years and I don’t like it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Internetjack posted:

Not saying that this is wrong, but I think a major factor was the opening of a temple in Brazil where if they weren't going to let black people in, there wouldn't be very many people using the temple.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lowtax's spine spotted south of the Bonneville Salt Flats: https://tinyurl.com/y2tmaer8

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mormons are nice, I like mormons. I wish more goons were like Mormons then everyone wold be better people.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dear Watson posted:

I’ve been in Utah for over 40 years and I don’t like it.

40 years is plenty of time to change that

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I think Mormons get off on self humiliation. Most of them never even apologized for voting trump. Buncha long john wearing pain pigs.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

UltraRed posted:

Mormons are nice, I like mormons. I wish more goons were like Mormons then everyone wold be better people.

mormons are only superficially nice. if you're not one of them you won't ever be part of the community. and lots of them are very racist, sexist, and homophobic. when i said they were nice earlier, i meant in terms of polite conversation at the checkout counter

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

old beast lunatic posted:

I think Mormons get off on self humiliation. Most of them never even apologized for voting trump. Buncha long john wearing pain pigs.

The ones I've talked to about it swear up and down they voted for McMullin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Just look at this poo poo. This was just this evening. loving horrible.