Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Ambuletz posted:

RIP Zev Love X

BB is still my favorite hip-hop album. goddamn this loving blows
For real. And we almost didn't even get the album at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacula
Aug 30, 2007
The Anthropophagic Copromantik

AHH F/UGH posted:

Here's me as Action Bronson writing a verse

Yo yo, salmon with the ravioli,
add the thyme like my rollie,
Whippin in the kitchen,
cheese croquettes almost done,
Body numb, got her blowin' like Shalamar in 81
Oops I mean

Okay I hate you, but that verse was fire.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dude was a Fifth Percenter and hung out with Nuwaubians.

not sure how he's become a nerdcore rapper suddenly

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Empty Sandwich posted:

dude was a Fifth Percenter and hung out with Nuwaubians.

not sure how he's become a nerdcore rapper suddenly

It's an unfortunate fact that many great rappers either wholesale invest in conspiracy theories or become bizarre spiritualists centered around patriarchal bullshit.
It's a miracle that Talib Kwali stayed normal.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's an unfortunate fact that many great rappers either wholesale invest in conspiracy theories or become bizarre spiritualists centered around patriarchal bullshit.
It's a miracle that Talib Kwali stayed normal.

My favorite weird conspiracy turn is Ice Cube becoming a huge freak for every conspiracy very suddenly

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tetramin posted:

My favorite weird conspiracy turn is Ice Cube becoming a huge freak for every conspiracy very suddenly

ice cub is more tv cop than rapper at this point tbf

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Does anyone else think this is a work? It stinks like a put on to me, and faking his death would be very on brand for DOOM.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YiHjUXQpLM

His album with Czarface is loving great. In fact, Czarface is loving great. They're MF DOOM adjacent for sure.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Robo Reagan posted:

That's Ice T

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Robo Reagan posted:

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
He was clearly talented and hardworking and it sucks that he seemed to have a hard life that ended too soon. One thing I’ve wondered for a while, what was the secret sauce that made his music so appealing to nerdy white people on the internet? It’s pretty good but there’s a fuckton of great hip hop in the world that never gets that kind of pull. Is it because of the comic book villain conceit (which is admittedly cool)? What am I missing?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

gloom posted:

He was clearly talented and hardworking and it sucks that he seemed to have a hard life that ended too soon. One thing I’ve wondered for a while, what was the secret sauce that made his music so appealing to nerdy white people on the internet? It’s pretty good but there’s a fuckton of great hip hop in the world that never gets that kind of pull. Is it because of the comic book villain conceit (which is admittedly cool)? What am I missing?

If you're a real fan of hip-hop, you listen because he was different. Talib Kweli knew every lyric to MF Doom - he's a lot your favorite rapper's rapper. Like he said, "he raps as weird as I feel."

You need to listen closer. I listen to MF Doom for the reason I listen to a lot of very technical math rock bands. They aren't something I jam out to all the time but they make me think outside the box and provide inspiration that way. His wordplay would hit with three, sometimes four different layers. I enjoy a lot of MF Doom songs but understand why people don't vibe with him. He was his own person; whereas today (and in his era), a lot of rappers just sound the same. His rhyme schemes were complex, his samples were outside the box, and he can't be confused with anyone else. I respect the artform and while others paint by numbers, he made wordplay and rhyme schemes that just aren't available elsewhere. He was weird - and I mean that with the best sentiment possible.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You... ARE a real fan of hip-hop, arent you?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Also his lo-fi beats with lots of 80s cartoon samples are basically the nerdier version of RZA's early wu beats (rza used poo poo outta old kung fu films).

But dude's been fire since his first lines, his rhymes just got more and more densely layered while also being at times hilariously loving funny.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

You... ARE a real fan of hip-hop, arent you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXVI3sHLIQs

Slip
Jan 20, 2001
Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

gloom posted:

Same as Del, he was on a Gorillaz album

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPlvgVBmFeE

some adult swim bumpers with em

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Dr. Dooom ain’t gonna get away with this

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo i got owned

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Whenever I have something to say about one of the Ices, I need to do some thorough research to make sure I don’t gently caress up which one it is

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Does anyone else think this is a work? It stinks like a put on to me, and faking his death would be very on brand for DOOM.

A friend I was talking to suggested that. Admittedly it does seem like the next step after his hiring imposters to perform shows stunt. It is also exactly what Peter Steele of Type O Negative did in about 2005. If DOOM is pulling this same poo poo I am going to lose my mind.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

rear end-penny posted:

A friend I was talking to suggested that. Admittedly it does seem like the next step after his hiring imposters to perform shows stunt. It is also exactly what Peter Steele of Type O Negative did in about 2005. If DOOM is pulling this same poo poo I am going to lose my mind.

I don't think his wife would've name-checked their dead son if it were a bit, but I would like to him to be alive

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
All I'm saying is, if anyone was going to fake their death, it would be DOOM.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Jay-Z made a song with no hook and had to brag about it.

DOOM made an entire album with no hooks and didn't say poo poo.

edit:

I think about this verse a lot

quote:

Last wish: I wish I had two more wishes
And I wish they fixed the door to the matrix, there's mad glitches
Spit so many verses sometimes my jaw twitches
One thing this party could use is more... booze

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 3, 2021

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

AHH F/UGH posted:

I hated his music but at least he was still better than 99% of hip hop that's come out in the last 18 years so RIP to a real one

edit they should have posted a picture of his unmasked face for the grand finale though

this is one of the worst takes in the whole thread and thats saying something
"i like everything except rap and country" is abstracted classism

gloom posted:

probably has something to do with him and one of his collaborators (madlib) being played on adult swim for a bit. it worked for flying lotus

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 4, 2021

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

sea of losers posted:

"i like everything except rap and country" is abstracted classism

lol

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i mean i understand not liking the first thing you hear but if you dont like a single song from an entire genre you probably just havent looked hard enough

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
hooks is extra

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

sea of losers posted:

i mean i understand not liking the first thing you hear but if you dont like a single song from an entire genre you probably just havent looked hard enough

lol I never said that, not sure where you're getting it from. Some random poster said it on page 1.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Illavick posted:

All I'm saying is, if anyone was going to fake their death, it would be DOOM.

:hmmyes: Exactly.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

gloom posted:

There were many others who are of MF DOOM'S flavor of hip hop that have achieved critical and commercial success. EL-P comes to mind, Aesop Rock as well. I think much of their music grew out of rap needing something new outside of gangster bragadoccio and glossy bling aesthetics. Naturally subject matter around kung-fu and sci-fi appealed to a broader range of listeners. Plus there was a big push around music generally in the late 90s and early 2000s to discover indie artists. It became decidedly uncool to only listen to big label musicians.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

sea of losers posted:

yeah but country is loving awful.. the lol was at classism being the argument for not liking something

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Slumpy posted:

yeah but country is loving awful.. the lol was at classism being the argument for not liking something

Country music sounds more like rap music than most rap these days. Its all about poppin bottles and driving cars.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Where was hitlery clinton during all this

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Slumpy posted:

yeah but country is loving awful

no it isnt
also why do you think this

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 4, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I love rap music and also play country music on the guitar, banjo and mandolin come at me

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I love rap music and also play country music on the guitar, banjo and mandolin come at me

thats cool

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

The MM Food Album got me into Hip Hop. Doom was a loving Legend, Rest in Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

america's most blunted is one of the best madvillain tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytxkJUM_7U