Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

In the UK the only legally allowed terms are Grandmama and Grandpapa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

The Bloop posted:

I had one Grandma and Grandpa and one Nana and Papa and I think that was just fine

same

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I've got a Gigi and Ranger on the wife's side, and my side is insisting on Literally a Grandfather and Spinz :shrug:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Diabetsi and Strokepa.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Smugworth posted:

I've got a Gigi and Ranger on the wife's side, and my side is insisting on Literally a Grandfather and Spinz :shrug:

They buried ol' LAG up on goon hill...

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
It's days like this when I wish I talked to my family more so I could find out what the latest news is on the Nickname Cold War, but I don't because I got so sick of said drama I told them all to gently caress off.

Last I heard one aunt wanted to be called Cricket for some reason, which really really angers the aunt who Keeps Trying to Make Mimi and Poppers happen. Thus of course the faction of the family against Mimi and Poppers (everyone outside her household) immediately adopted Cricket enthusiastically. I think they could solve all of this by making up a nickname to apply to this aunt to see how she'd like it, but apparently that's Going Too Far.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This is like when people talk about their pets with their names directly with no introduction. They are not human, provide some context plz.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
i remember my friend and his brother who were grown adults were fighting because my friend was trying to have sex with a girl when he noticed a little red light coming from underneath the door. For whatever reason his brother put a video camera at the base of the door to record them having sex and their screaming at each other and the little brother started bringing up things from the past so full on yelling he says "You never said you were proud of me! You make me look like a fool in front of Grammy and Popaw all the time!"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Mississippi Pete and GrimGramBimBam taking me to a movie since it's been enough now with the grandparents time poo poo. They just need a break.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

This is like when people talk about their pets with their names directly with no introduction. They are not human, provide some context plz.

And their cat has a first and last name that's something like "Jacob Montgomery".

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Southerners have been doing this forever. My Tennessean FIL is Papa, his dad was papaw, papaw’s dad was paw-paw, etc.

The trend of using bizarre names like boombunt and clanlee is 100% boomers not wanting to feel old despite being loving seventy.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

McGavin posted:

And their cat has a first and last name that's something like "Jacob Montgomery".

"Paul Alan"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I have a relative deep in the convoulted web that are my in-laws who wanted to be "Nonna" despite nobody being even remotely Italian.

This person already earns her fair share of side eye and the rest of the family shut that poo poo down.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Granny and Grandpa.

That was what i called my grandparents.

And sometimes i also called my grandmother an rear end in a top hat. Cause she was. She rocked being a shitlord to the grave, loving jerk.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Tristesse posted:

Last I heard one aunt wanted to be called Cricket for some reason, which really really angers the aunt who Keeps Trying to Make Mimi and Poppers happen. Thus of course the faction of the family against Mimi and Poppers (everyone outside her household) immediately adopted Cricket enthusiastically. I think they could solve all of this by making up a nickname to apply to this aunt to see how she'd like it, but apparently that's Going Too Far.

'Poppers' are of course the amyl nitrate capsules used by some gay men, which they break and sniff in order to loosen their assholes for easier penetration. This may or may not be apt.

'Mimi', amonst other meanings in different languages, is slang for 'vagina'.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

BigBadSteve posted:

'Poppers' are of course the amyl nitrate capsules used by some gay men, which they break and sniff in order to loosen their assholes for easier penetration. This may or may not be apt.

'Mimi', amonst other meanings in different languages, is slang for 'vagina'.

Straight people use poppers too because they are fun while drinking. Also the good ones come in a little screw top bottle.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Poohs Packin posted:

Straight people use poppers too because they are fun while drinking. Also the good ones come in a little screw top bottle.

Years back I was out drinking with friends and the gay dude in the group shared his poppers with us. It just felt like taking a big deep lungful of actetone fumes, not a fun rush. I had hoped for something much more exciting.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Umma and Upah are also Korean

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
When my sister was really little she randomly decided to start calling our grandmother "Munga" which lasted for a few days until grandma pulled my mom aside and said she did not like it and my sister needed to stop. My mom related this story to my sister and I as adults, and now ever since we have been threatening to use that as our mom's nickname if either of us ever has kids.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

This thread portended this moment

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tristesse posted:

It's days like this when I wish I talked to my family more so I could find out what the latest news is on the Nickname Cold War, but I don't because I got so sick of said drama I told them all to gently caress off.

Every single one involved has furniture covers and doilies.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Snowy posted:

Years back I was out drinking with friends and the gay dude in the group shared his poppers with us. It just felt like taking a big deep lungful of actetone fumes, not a fun rush. I had hoped for something much more exciting.

Well did you even try getting anally penetrated

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper are taking us to Chuck E. Cheese tonight!! :peanut:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Smugworth posted:

Well did you even try getting anally penetrated

I didn’t, I just wasted that nice man’s poppers like a rude jerk

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper are taking us to Chuck E. Cheese tonight!! :peanut:

don't get in that car, waylon

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Going to spend the summer with Peepee and PoopPoop

Good old Peepaw and Poopmaw

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
IMO let these old buggers be called something ridiculous if they want. The more ridiculous names the better. It should be something cool, like Godzilla and Ln106 hilux.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

What if both of the gramps turns out gay and marry other old men. Technically then junior will have four grandpas..and that would just be confusing. I support having as many nicknames as possible for these instances.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Oh father of fathers. Oh mother of mothers. Prithee give me a buck, with which I can requisition some confectionery.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Going to the sizzler with Thrumscribbler and THE OX.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Weka posted:

IMO let these old buggers be called something ridiculous if they want. The more ridiculous names the better. It should be something cool, like Weedlord and BonerHitler.

Circumcised Elon
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine
Going to visit Nim-num and BassComander for a nice cup of tea.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

the relative formerly known as grandma

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Circumcised Elon posted:

Going to visit Nim-num and BassComander for a nice cup of tea.

This made me :lol:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Going to the sizzler with Thrumscribbler and THE OX.

Burn this witch and his damned familiars!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Chuck E. Cheese is more of a destination you get taken to by your friend's "Weekend Dad" who drives a Taurus SHO

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gaping Maw and Gaping Paw

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Knormal posted:

They should be stackable. Your Mom's parents should be Mom Mom and Mom Dad. Your Dad's should be Dad Mom and Dad Dad. Your Mom Dad's parents should be Mom Dad Mom and Mom Dad Dad. It makes the genealogy nice and clear, and avoids all those annoying multiple grandma and grandpas you end up with otherwise.

That's how we do it in Swedish: Father and mother is far & mor, so grandparents are farfar, farmor, morfar & mormor. Next generation it's farmorsfar etc.

Pinecone Sample posted:

all of the gen x grandparents I am starting to see are so terrified of being called "grandpa" because that means a slow driver and they insist on being called poo poo like Big P. you're not the older kid who lives up the block. you're a senior citizen.

As a compromise call him Señor C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel bad for kids that were like "I'm going to visit my Nam-nam and The Colonel" like they were getting drat chicken but their dad made them call him "Sir" instead of dad and Grandpa was a war hero so you will use his title