Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I got my ex a big stuffed T-Rex when I went out to get her breakfast before she took the second pill. She named it Abortosaurus and after she was done writhing on the ground in pain an hour later she pointed at our dead child in the toilet and laughed. I miss that dark bitch sometimes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

nesamdoom posted:

My ex stopped birth control and let me finish in her as much as I wanted, so a couple months later she was preg and excited. Then her mum talked her into an abortion and I had to try to not be lovely to her while she cried to me about it.
I have pretty mixed feelings about the whole abortion thing.

My ex stop taking birth control for a year to see if she could get pregnant.

Turns out PCOS was making her infertile, and she was pretty distraught when she finally admitted what she was doing. I think she would have taken it to term. I didn't really know how to feel and ended up leaving her shortly after. Man, it's been a while since I've thought of that.

Edit: vvv lawl vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 9, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Turns out PCOS was making her infertile

Man that guy was a menace, I'm glad he's perma'd

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

My ex stop taking birth control for a year to see if she could get pregnant.

Man, if I were a penis/balls-haver that liked vagina/uterus-havers, I would probably still be a virgin. The lack of control would scare the poo poo out of me.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

nesamdoom posted:

My ex stopped birth control and let me finish in her as much as I wanted, so a couple months later she was preg and excited. Then her mum talked her into an abortion and I had to try to not be lovely to her while she cried to me about it.
I have pretty mixed feelings about the whole abortion thing.

Why would you take all the steps required to create a pregnancy, without a plan or desire for such pregnancy? I don’t understand this thinking at all. Did you lose the “consequences” portion of your brain in an accident?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

YeahTubaMike posted:

Man, if I were a penis/balls-haver that liked vagina/uterus-havers, I would probably still be a virgin. The lack of control would scare the poo poo out of me.
I would just wear a condom or tbh get a vasectomy. I feel like if you're relying on a condom, the dick-haver has almost all control over conception, given the number of guys who think stealthing is nbd.

e: not to say that scenario isn't hosed up, it absolutely is obv

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 10, 2021

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
When I was 19 my girlfriend of three years broke up with me. A few weeks later she found out she was pregnant. It was mine.

She had me come over her house and told me. It was very weird to hear. Not just because we had just broken up, but because it was like a wave of *LIFE* washed over me for a split second and it felt kind of cool. That feeling faded very quickly. We were both still in college and I know I didn’t want a kid at 19. Was pretty sure she didn’t either. As she was telling me I starting hoping she was going to say she would get an abortion, but I wasn’t really sure what to say.

In that moment I remember thinking about a Chris Rock special and he said the only appropriate thing a man can say when a girl tells him she’s pregnant is to say, “So, what you gonna do?”. So that’s what I said. She told me she would talk to her mom and would probably get an abortion. I let her know if she needed me to drive her, or needed anything else to tell me because this is my situation too. Ultimately she didn’t need me to do anything or pay for anything and it was taken care of. I think she already felt really guilty breaking up with me and then hitting me with the pregnancy that she wanted to keep me out of it as much as possible, which I appreciated. It was hard enough dealing with a “first big breakup” for both of us, and this made it a little more complicated. A clean break was kind of off the table now.

After she had the abortion she gave me the details. She told me that when her and her mom went to the clinic and there were protesters yelling at them outside. It freaked her out a lot, but it didn’t stop her. I remember being really surprised there were protesters because we live in a really liberal New England state. She said after the procedure was over she woke up from the anesthesia crying, but she knew it was the right thing to do. All these years later we have lost touch, but I still don’t think she regrets the abortion. I know I definitely don’t. Sometimes I think about how old the kid would be and how my life would be different, but each time I am still very glad she had an abortion. And that’s my abortion story.

EDIT: Wow I haven’t thought about this in so many years. I actually bought my SA account a couple of days before we broke up waaay back in July 2007. So in a way, SA is kind of like the child I’m glad I never had.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 9, 2021

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I live in liberal-as-gently caress Seattle and there are protesters outside just about every clinic I pass, but especially down at this clinic in Renton, which isn't technically Seattle but it kind of is anymore. In one of my jobs I used to provide onsite support for Planned Parenthoods around the area, and the protestors outside their Tacoma clinic were the real fire and brimstone kind that told all the women that they were going to hell. God I wish I could have loving told them off, but I hear that isn't "professional." The employees there really believe in the mission, I gotta say.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

My ex stop taking birth contro[/spoiler]

Edit: vvv lawl vvv

i had a similar experience (idk the reason, i did not ask) and i'll say the impact it had on who and what i consent to, was tremendous

i'm sure neither of us found the situation particularly enviable, and ultimately as is the case, my share of the risk would have been considerably less.. so. i have spent a decade + just trying to sort out how i even feel about that breach of trust, because like yours seem to be, it was an agreed upon arrangement in a monogamous ltr that my consent was hinged on. i have zero problems wearing condoms, penetrative sex is way low on the list of things i find to be intriguing in the bedroom so gently caress it, layer up. i wouldnt want to take birth control if i didnt otherwise need/want to just not get pregnant, condoms seem way good a compromise in that regard

i also understand that it feels better without, it obviously does to me as well and is more intimate in that way for sure for many people.

she was suffering from some issues beyond that, the reason i ended up leaving (this took place before i knew the other stuff)was she told me one day how she was stalking some woman she went to HS with that back in the day had wronged her with some boy and i was like :stonk:

Worf fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 9, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Not quite the same thing, but when I used to work at the zoo doing food prep, cutting up papaya, I was warned heavily to never ever let the seeds go into any bucket, because they can induce miscarriages in primates.

Something I have kept in mind for the past decade, despite me last having sex with an actual penis something like 18 years ago.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I got my ex a big stuffed T-Rex when I went out to get her breakfast before she took the second pill. She named it Abortosaurus and after she was done writhing on the ground in pain an hour later she pointed at our dead child in the toilet and laughed. I miss that dark bitch sometimes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao, but jesus christ.

I had an ex who's mom spoke about a time she tried getting an abortion because she was in constant pain at one point in the pregnancy. She was pregnant with twins, I'm not sure how far along she was but when she got to the hospital they told her that she was miscarrying, however they wouldn't perform an abortion because they were religious or something and that would be against god. They sent her home to "deal with it" in the bathroom so she did. That story has stuck with me for 15 years now and really help cement the "gently caress religion" mentality I have.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

gently caress anyone who thinks that anyone should be forced to somehow prove that they were raped, or incested, or was going to have an eptopic pregnancy, etc

Eomora
Sep 11, 2021

I'm technically still a uterus-haver, but not a cis one, so the thought of any possible pregnancy is just a goddamn nightmare. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with anything like that, but I am aching for a time when I can shut the entire system down.

This thread does remind me of a story a streamer I follow pretty regularly told though. He's very pro-choice and women's rights, and was apparently out one day when he looked up and saw one of those giant plane banners. Except it had clearly been bought up by pro-lifers, since it was one of their giant and extremely graphic signs, just blown up times a million. He (and I, while listening to the story) was wondering how the hell you could do something like that without feeling like an absolute sociopath.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I remember my mum telling me that she had an aunt who had an abortion, before it was something you could legally get. Old women with coat hangers. If it didn't kill her, then it at least crippled her for life.

Instilled into me at a young age that abortion should be legal and easy, otherwise that's the sort of poo poo that happens.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Here's a fun history lesson!

I'm in Ireland where we only gained legal abortion access in January 2019 (!) after having a nationwide vote for it. Up to that point we had what was known as the 8th Amendment, added to the Irish Constitution in 1983, which basically equated the health of a fetus with that of the woman (not person) that was carrying it. One sentence, vague as all gently caress, offered bugger all clarification especially for doctors who frequently found their hands tied by the legislation and how they could treat pregnant patients, helped absolutely nobody except the religious right who still ruled Ireland very much with an iron fist back then. A lot of this post will be spoiler-tagged because frankly the details of how Ireland saw pregnant people as people is both infuriating and ick and I don't wanna upset people too much with this post

Several landmark events brought the 8th Amendment into question in the years between 1983 and 2018, the most famous being in 1992 with the case of X, a 14-year-old girl who was repeatedly raped by a family friend she had been left in the care of while her parents, ironically, went on a religious pilgrimage. When X told her parents that their friend had raped her, they immediately began making arrangements for her to travel to England for an abortion, but when they also contacted the local police to find out what evidence they would need to arrest and sentence the rapist, the police instead consulted the Attorney General who ordered the police to prevent X and her family from leaving the country, basically sentencing a teenage rape victim to carry her rapist's child to term, or her parents would go to prison for murder. With this order came a huge public outcry, both by the side in favour of X's access to an abortion, and by religious nut-jobs who insisted X being raped was God's will. X tried to kill herself, which swung the argument towards protecting her life over the fetus' since if left to her own devices, both would've died anyway. After several weeks and massive campaigning, X and her parents were finally allowed to fly to England for her to obtain an abortion, but the stress of the entire ordeal led to her having a miscarriage the night before the procedure.

On October 21st 2012, a woman named Savita Halappanavar was brought to a hospital in Galway by her husband, suffering an incomplete miscarriage. At 17 weeks pregnant, her water broke but did not fully expel the fetus, which was still showing a fetal heartbeat. She and her husband discussed abortion with her consulting physician but their request was refused multiple times, in spite of the fact that Savita was developing sepsis and her blood pressure was dropping rapidly. A midwife caring for her was reported to have told her that she was not allowed to have an abortion because 'this is a Catholic country'. She went into cardiac arrest and died on October 28th.

In late 2014, a woman who was 3 months pregnant was admitted to an unidentified hospital in Ireland, complaining of headaches and nausea. 2 days later she collapsed and was found to be unresponsive and was declared clinically brain-dead. Against the wishes of her husband and parents, she was put on life-support in order to preserve the fetus that was still showing a fetal heartbeat despite her being very much dead. Her two young children were allowed to visit her in hospital; nurses were forced to apply layers of make-up to her face to so that her children would not be too distressed at visiting their mother who was hooked up to multiple machines but was still basically decomposing and rotting away in front of them. Along comes the worst Christmas ever for her 2 kids and her husband as the High Court had been adjourned for the Christmas break and a decision on switching off her life-support had to be rushed through on Christmas Eve, only for the actual decision to finally be made on December 26th to allow her, and the fetus, to die.

There are other similar cases, MANY similar cases, but I'm honestly too angry at my stupid country to look up any more of them and that's before we even get into the whole Magdelene Laundries, Mother and Baby Homes, symphisiotomy, throwing-dead-babies-into-a-loving-septic-tank controversies...

So....

In 2018 finally came a real push for a repeal of the 8th Amendment, and let me tell you, from working on the ground during that campaign, it was a loving bloodbath. The 'No' side were abusive, vicious, heartless and increasingly violent, threatening politicians and families with murder, rape, violence of all sorts. They drove around vans with giant billboards on them with pictures of dead babies, camped outside campaigners' houses at all hours of the day and night, posted giant billboards covered in images of dead babies outside the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, used images of children with Down's Syndrome on their posters, ran public smear campaigns against dozens of pro-choice campaigners (including myself) where they repeatedly doxxed people and attempted to get them fired by bombarding their workplaces with images of them at pro-choice marches and protests, ran surveillance on my local 'Yes' campaign office by parking a white van directly outside the door and propping a dashcam to look directly into our office, became physically violent with women who were distributing leaflets in public areas, screamed at people who were wearing 'Yes' badges or T-shirts in public, spat on people who were canvassing door-to-door for support etc etc etc. I could go on and on about how embarrassing and disgraceful their behaviour was, but I'd probably end up having a loving aneurysm remembering it all.

In the end, compassion and good sense won out, thank gently caress.

Yes votes = 1,429,981. No votes = 723,632.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

In late 2014, a woman who was 3 months pregnant was admitted to an unidentified hospital in Ireland, complaining of headaches and nausea. 2 days later she collapsed and was found to be unresponsive and was declared clinically brain-dead. Against the wishes of her husband and parents, she was put on life-support in order to preserve the fetus that was still showing a fetal heartbeat despite her being very much dead. Her two young children were allowed to visit her in hospital; nurses were forced to apply layers of make-up to her face to so that her children would not be too distressed at visiting their mother who was hooked up to multiple machines but was still basically decomposing and rotting away in front of them. Along comes the worst Christmas ever for her 2 kids and her husband as the High Court had been adjourned for the Christmas break and a decision on switching off her life-support had to be rushed through on Christmas Eve, only for the actual decision to finally be made on December 26th to allow her, and the fetus, to die.

Holy gently caress. This is on some horror film poo poo.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

If you willingly bring children into this world youre a psycho

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jinkies

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol People in the states in many, many places think that having half of a dead fetus sticking out of you that still has a heartbeat and you getting sepsis and dying is just God Calling You Home!!!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Eomora posted:

I'm technically still a uterus-haver, but not a cis one, so the thought of any possible pregnancy is just a goddamn nightmare. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with anything like that, but I am aching for a time when I can shut the entire system down.

This thread does remind me of a story a streamer I follow pretty regularly told though. He's very pro-choice and women's rights, and was apparently out one day when he looked up and saw one of those giant plane banners. Except it had clearly been bought up by pro-lifers, since it was one of their giant and extremely graphic signs, just blown up times a million. He (and I, while listening to the story) was wondering how the hell you could do something like that without feeling like an absolute sociopath.

High five, buddy.

In my ordinary life, I've become much kinder as I've transitioned. Testosterone didn't make me crueler/more aggro like some claim it should; I'm less, and can actually absorb coping skills better bc I don't feel constant discomfort. Turns out not hating yourself lets you not hate others. Despite my new philosophy, when I think of those that would chain not only women, but people like myself in a pregnant body, my thoughts linger in a violent place that isn't healthy for anyone.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

from like a month ago,but was going through bookmarks... so I ended up here.

Weka posted:

Would you care to explain them more? No pressure. I think it's a valuable insight into some of the previously mentioned social dynamics around abortion, although you obviously were leaps and bounds beyond those examples.

I simply think that it's a poo poo option for late birth control. There are a lot of reasons why they make sense and situations that they are a good option(medical, financial, or societal). But, intentionally ignoring pregnancy being an option or later just opting out when having intentionally gotten pregnant seems stupid. There should also be assurances that nobody is being coerced into getting one, but the availability for legitimately choosing to abort should be there for anyone that needs it.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Why would you take all the steps required to create a pregnancy, without a plan or desire for such pregnancy? I don’t understand this thinking at all. Did you lose the “consequences” portion of your brain in an accident?

That's largely the issue I haven't figured out. Like, IUDs or the shot work really well for most chicks and it's not like a dude gets to just decide a couple months in that he changed his mind.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk5Q4nBhjlg

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I was what you might call a happy accident, occurring somewhat late in my mother’s life. but my mom’s ability to secure a safe and discreet termination had an inarguably positive impact on my own upbringing:

some years before my mother met my father, she found she’d fallen pregnant by a fellow who beat on her and treated her terribly. Asking her parents for help was out of the question. not that they’d have judged her harshly—quite the opposite, in fact; she just didn’t want her father imprisoned for murder on account of a turd like this dude.

so she arranged a brief trip out of town with two dependable friends from her college theater class, and they kept an eye on her as she recovered to keep her safe from complications. And well after that, when she found out she had another on the way, she had a day job and a partner who, while he could still be (and occasionally is even now) a real jerk, was much kinder to her and who put in a substantial, if at times bafflingly inconsistent, effort in good faith to become a decent parent.

insofar as there’s a point to my ramblings, it’s that if my mom hadn’t been able to cleanly and completely cut ties with the abusive poo poo from her past, she’d have two far worse off children instead of just the one semi-well-adjusted daughter. and that’s just one reason why securing the right to a safe and private abortion is vital to everyone, not just the womb-owners who may need one someday. aaaaanyways I’ll have a jalapeño bacon burger, potato gems and a large diet pepsi, thanks

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Dr.D-O fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 5, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Abortion Town looks cool as gently caress

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Abortion Town looks cool as gently caress

it looks like a welcoming place. May we all find a home so accepting :unsmith:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Read this in Gilbert Gottfried's voice:

WHY IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SO OPPOSED TO ABORTION?

BECAUSE EVERY ABORTED FETUS IS ONE LESS CHILD THAT A PRIEST MIGHT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO gently caress!!

BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW HOW MUCH CATHOLIC PRIESTS LOVE TO gently caress CHILDREN!!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Its also probably pretty inconvenient to have all these fetuses floating around in the afterlife

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Holy poo poo heaven must be full of cum

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002
My wife got one, we already had one kid at the time and we weren’t ready for another. Abortion is illegal over here so we had to get pills from a gyn that are normally used for stomach issues (cytotec/misoprostol), and she had to do a routine of taking a couple orally and putting a couple in her vagina. They didn’t do anything so we went to another gyn at a very shady clinic, he made us get an echography of the “baby” and we were getting tired of all the stress of doing something illegal and going to lovely clinics so we said gently caress it we are keeping it.

We then went to her regular gyn and he said that keeping it was not a good idea as the cytotec probably damaged the fetus and he had to perform an abortion (really nice guy, he told us “look, you already have one kid, this one is going to have serious issues is you keep it, are you going to be able to handle it?”).

So in the end she had an abortion, I’m not going to tell you that at first we didn’t feel kind of lovely, but now it is something we don’t remember at all (couple of years later had a beautiful daughter). I think abortions should be legal but they should only be free after care for cancer patients is free.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Neverhood was abortion town??

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I wish my mom had aborted me.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Those aren’t clouds you always see in artists’ depictions of paradise…

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is my new favorite blasphemy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tuggers go to hell but all the froth to heaven :devil::angel:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

El Chupacabras posted:

I think abortions should be legal but they should only be free after care for cancer patients is free.

I mean both should be free but cancer doesn't have to grow up for 18 years with parents that don't want another kid so I think the abortion is a higher priority in that way. It's also orders of magnitude cheaper to provide

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe if we offer a free abortion with every chemo treatment?

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I mean both should be free but cancer doesn't have to grow up for 18 years with parents that don't want another kid so I think the abortion is a higher priority in that way. It's also orders of magnitude cheaper to provide

Well, a pregnancy is more easilly avoided than cancer, but lets not go there.

Funny story I have a coworker that now gives me evil looks when he passes me by, since the time he was collecting signatures for some pro-life campaign and he came to my desk, asked me to sign it and I refused. We are a little bit late on abortion legislation down here.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You don't have to pick. Both could be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
How about this: getting an abortion should be as easy as getting a gun.

I mean, for Americans. You can literally get a gun from a loving yard sale in most states.