Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Gee maybe that’s because I’m a self-identified liberal, like I already said.

except your first post was to say you hope the government is spying on people simply for having different political beliefs than yourself, which is hard to dress up as "liberal" no matter how you spin the word.

it's position that expresses intolerance of others' beliefs and is generally traditionalist (thus counter to the most general definition of "liberal") and it's the sort of opinion that predates any concept of modern liberal politics by centuries (and is thus counter to the term whether in the sense of global neoliberalism or the specific american use of the term)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe we ought to means test the guillotines, otherwise the undeserving might be freed from their mortal coil for free :decorum:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Just :lol: if you aren't training to 460 no scope fascists with pinpoint accuracy. Why do you think gaming chairs can spin?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Earwicker posted:

except your first post was to say you hope the government is spying on people simply for having different political beliefs than yourself, which is hard to dress up as "liberal" no matter how you spin the word.

it's position that expresses intolerance of others' beliefs and is generally traditionalist (thus counter to the most general definition of "liberal") and it's the sort of opinion that predates any concept of modern liberal politics by centuries (and is thus counter to the term whether in the sense of global neoliberalism or the specific american use of the term)

Look, people on the internet who talk about violence against the public should be monitored. I don’t care what you believe if you’re a pacifist. People who act like they’re about to go on a killing spree should be spied on.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Look, people on the internet who talk about violence against the public should be monitored. I don’t care what you believe if you’re a pacifist. People who act like they’re about to go on a killing spree should be spied on.

Besides, all liberals are hypocrites anyway.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

what your post actually said was "I don’t have any far left or far right beliefs that I’m aware of. Frankly i hope the DHS is spying on people who do." you didn't mention anything about violence against the public.

there are a huge number of beliefs that easily could be categorized as far left or far right (especially by us government standards) that do not involve any violence let alone killing sprees. the idea that an organization created by george w. bush, or any us law enforcement or intelligence agency for that matter, should have the authority to decide which beliefs fall into those buckets and thus justify their massive surveillance state is not "liberal" in any sense. not to mention, in terms of american politics ideas like school loan forgiveness are considered "far left". lumping such beliefs in with people advocating for literal murder is also pretty far from any reasonable definition liberal.

(its also kind of a moot point since they are already spying on literally everyone and so are a huge number of other parties)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 17, 2021

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Earwicker posted:

what your post actually said was "I don’t have any far left or far right beliefs that I’m aware of. Frankly i hope the DHS is spying on people who do." you didn't mention anything about violence against the public.

there are a huge number of beliefs that easily could be categorized as far left or far right (especially by us government standards) that do not involve any violence let alone killing sprees. the idea that an organization created by george w. bush, or any us law enforcement or intelligence agency for that matter, should have the authority to decide which beliefs fall into those buckets and thus justify their massive surveillance state is not "liberal" in any sense

(its also kind of a moot point since they are already spying on literally everyone and so are a huge number of other parties)

Ugh whatever man, I’m glad you didn’t see my post about liking COINTELPRO in the conservative opinions thread.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I was poking fun at the idea that "Violence doesn't solve all problems, only most of them" being an incredibly liberal take. Willing to turn to a blind eye to the massive amount of violence that makes sure you don't have to live in a war zone. You even invented someone planning to commit violence so you could justify using violence against them. This ain't DND though, so I'll drop it the meme thread where half the people are serious posting and the other half are being ironic.

Note: That I am using liberal here in the classical sense, where both the RNC and DNC would be liberal, and liberal does not mean left. And from the content of your posts, it seems you were using it the same way.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

eSporks posted:

I was poking fun at the idea that "Violence doesn't solve all problems, only most of them" being an incredibly liberal take. Willing to turn to a blind eye to the massive amount of violence that makes sure you don't have to live in a war zone. You even invented someone planning to commit violence so you could justify using violence against them. This ain't DND though, so I'll drop it the meme thread where half the people are serious posting and the other half are being ironic.

Note: That I am using liberal here in the classical sense, where both the RNC and DNC would be liberal, and liberal does not mean left. And from the content of your posts, it seems you were using it the same way.

I didn’t say to be violent against them, just arrest them.

Philadelphia
Sep 29, 2014
The benefits provided to veterans should be given to trans people.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
More. Women. Guards.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Squid game the House of Representatives. Winner gets to be President. AOC is #435

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

This is a very liberal post.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i enjoy doing yoga

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Violence is perfectly fine, but do we have to do it here? Just whip those slave child workers somewhere I can't see, ugh, so gauche

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Is there some government job that can hire all the old people like I don't know the DMV? I mean they should be able to get jobs if they want to but I don't need to be reminded all the time they need menial wages everytime I go to a Starbucks or whatevs

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Violence is perfectly fine, but do we have to do it here? Just whip those slave child workers somewhere I can't see, ugh, so gauche

They were REINS!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There's always that rare town wizard or evil crone position but competition is fierce.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nigmaetcetera posted:

"The famously non-violent police should just arrest them" is truly presidential levels of liberalism

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Who What Now posted:

"The famously non-violent police should just arrest them" is truly presidential levels of liberalism

Fine, let terrorists do what they want, I changed my mind

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

People should be kind to others.

And also gay. People should definitely be gay.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Fine, let terrorists do what they want, I changed my mind

The terrorists are coming from inside the house lol

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Jollity Farm posted:

People should be kind to others.

And also gay. People should definitely be gay.
Send all straights to conversion therapy camp.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

forced feminization for all

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's one way to achieve more female concentration camp guards

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Doctor J Off posted:

All of them. I've never heard any conservative opinion that isn't ultimately centered on the wealthy and powerful controlling everyone else, or whatever wedge issue nonsense they use to bait the idiot vote

There are other options.

Szyznyk posted:

Classical liberalism is pretty sweet.

Jabberlock posted:

I enjoy the works of Adam Smith and advocate for a free market economic system.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I dunno if this is liberal, but people should be taxed heavily to disincentivize owning properties that they don't personally live in. Being a landlord should not be a pathway to wealth given that all land property is inherently theft.

It's classical liberalism.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
Let's start over at year zero. New calendar?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I really dislike Jordan Peterson, he’s wrong about literally everything and seems to be some kind of energy vampire like Colin Robinson. He also cries all the time, which I guess he thinks makes him look cool.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
equality for minorities

+

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Kraft singles are bullshit.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Is it too early for a "Boo-th sides"?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Philthy posted:

equality for minorities

+

Supporting seniors is the opposite of everything else on this list.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If Steagall is so important, why'd they make it out of glass huh. Should have went with Steel Steagall

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Money is fake, boomers killed all of us and the US Federal Government is a worldwide terrorist organization

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I don't understand countries who care so much about retaining their soverign borders, like if a part of a country wants to leave, let them, who gives a fug

For example: let Texas and Florida leave. Let the catalans in Spain leave and create their own country. Let Kurdistan create their own country. Let Ireland and Scotland leave the UK/England. who gives a fug? The world will be better off for it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Szyznyk posted:

Supporting seniors is the opposite of everything else on this list.

Increasing oversight of nursing homes so they aren't loci of elder abuse would be nice?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Hello Sailor posted:

Increasing oversight of nursing homes so they aren't loci of elder abuse would be nice?

YEAH BUT THE OLDS PEOPLE ARE BOOMERS AND gently caress BOOMERS AMIRITE?!?!
ABUSE OLD PEOPLE, DON'T PROTECT THEM

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Theres still people trapped in Iron Lungs

Maybe technology to like even get them into a wheelchair

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

wesleywillis posted:

YEAH BUT THE OLDS PEOPLE ARE BOOMERS AND gently caress BOOMERS AMIRITE?!?!
ABUSE OLD PEOPLE, DON'T PROTECT THEM

Get it together before you end up like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Or like a lasagna with GET IT STOPPED in cheese letters on the top