Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Call Your Grandma posted:

i too love chopping the tails off things i profess to love :hmm:

nice try farmers wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
its just a defense mechanism, the tail grows back eventually

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nico still won't regularly drink out of the water bottle, even though I put two bottles in there and put one of them specifically where she hangs out on the second floor. i spoiled her because every day i put a fresh little dish of water out and she drinks out of it and uses it to wash her hair :3:

i didn't realize mice were so clean, they clean themselves as much as cats do haha

i'm coming to realize that mice are the cats of the rodent world

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Nico still won't regularly drink out of the water bottle, even though I put two bottles in there and put one of them specifically where she hangs out on the second floor. i spoiled her because every day i put a fresh little dish of water out and she drinks out of it and uses it to wash her hair :3:

i didn't realize mice were so clean, they clean themselves as much as cats do haha

i'm coming to realize that mice are the cats of the rodent world

we should have domesticated the rodents instead of cats

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Klyith posted:

Someone I briefly lived with had a pair of rats. They were cuter and more personable than I thought they'd be, and would do things like sit on your shoulder and groom your hair. Adorbs!

However I came to the conclusion that rodents are bad pets for the lazy and/or depressed, because the cleaning schedule for their bedding & cage should actually be quite frequent! I figured the reason that someone would have a rat instead of a cat would be that rats are even lower maintenance. But they're really not much different.

And if you aren't keeping up on it they are not so adorable. They will stink up a house pretty bad. And the cat can eventually get revenge by taking a dump on your pillow, while the poor rats are trapped in their filthy box.

I feel like a good thing to keep in mind with rodents especially, but nearly all pets, is their world moves so much faster than yours does.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nice mice, op. nice.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

precision posted:

considered going ham again but my last pet was a ham, and the mouse was more cute

also, i like how active mice are. they explore and do fun stuff. once hams settle in they just sleep 20 hours a day.

If you want a really sociable critter, get a guinea pig. Or, as they are called in my home, the legendary VooterDoots.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Genesplicer posted:

If you want a really sociable critter, get a guinea pig. Or, as they are called in my home, the legendary VooterDoots.

Ever wonder what wild ones look like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWIbyff7d3c

Now you know.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I DID IT I GOT VIDEO OF THE CUTEST THING EVER

https://i.imgur.com/IlOuEGG.mp4

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
look at them go op

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
After following the Ukraine situation non-stop, this was nice. :3:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

OP you should revise your thread title since Penny is no longer the subject.

Genesplicer posted:

Depends on the kind of sociable. If you want someone to crawl all over you and be athletic, rats are your guy. If you want someone who will chill with you as long as there's lettuce to be consumed, guinea pigs are great.

Also if you want someone who will start screaming in excitement at you every time you open the fridge, that's guinea pigs. If you'd rather the noise be confined to rustling with occasional indignant squeaks when someone scuffles, that's rats.

Both are excellent and rewarding choices if you're going the small fuzzy pet route.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

bad new :(

so i went to get one of Penny's friends, Nico. i brought her back and Penny flipped out! :( she was very aggressive and bitey and poor Nico was hiding on the roof :( i guess even though it's only been 2 days, Penny forgot about Nico

so with a heavy heart i decided to return Penny and get Nico's sister Jellybean, since i knew those two would get along

i'm sorry Penny, you were too mean for this world :(

HOWEVER!

Nico and Jellybean love each other!!! they especially like running on the spinny wheel at the same time. it's absolutely crazy how cute it is

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU ARE WEAK AGAINST CUTE TYPES

https://imgur.com/a/wiTnYdt

Close. Thread.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I've never had mice, but I've kept rats and currently have a pair of guinea pigs! They're almost 6 years old now, they fought alot when they were younger but they've mellowed out with age. They do scream thier heads off if you rustle any sort of plastic or even think about getting in the fridge.

I know they're not rodents, but my favorite small pet is rabbits. They're easy to train on a litter box, so you don't have to keep them in a cage. Yeah, they poop alot to mark territory, but it sweeps/vacuumes up easily.

Mine would also trip about getting in the fridge, he'd run around my feet and jump impatiently waiting for a baby carrot or a celery stalk. He was a great little buddy, I got him from my high-school AG class. Showed him in the FFA at the fair once, then as soon as that BS was done I got him neutered and adopted another rabbit from a shelter. She was never very nice, but she had a very strong personality of her own.

They were a bit over 10 when they passed. Mikey just got old and slow and was gone one morning. Grunts lived a few more months and then had a seizure or a stroke, she couldn't stay upright anymore and I had to have her euthanized. Got them cremated and put them in a cute little rabbit shaped ceramic that I keep on a shelf now.

RIP Michael and Gruntilda. You were the best. Small animals are awesome and I hope yours have great little lives OP.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

precision posted:

I DID IT I GOT VIDEO OF THE CUTEST THING EVER

Really loving their colors. :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
jellybean is already tame enough that she likes hanging out :3: she hops on my hand and if i sit on the bed she'll just climb up and down my arms and in and out of my hoodie. she also does this :3: thing where if she wants me to move my hand she chitters a little bit and then gives it a quick nibble. it's so freakin cute

Nico is still scared and bitey all the time though :( i hope she's happy! she acts like she's happy, especially with Jellybean and the foods and stuff... maybe she is just high strung or still freaked out from Penny attacking her

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It takes time to acclimate them to your presence. Gotta move slowly, can't rush it. Get a nice treat and when she's laying with you, give her a little bit. That's worked for every animal I've been around, whether it's rodents, cats, dogs, sheep, birds or horses.

Just gotta hang in there.

The teeth chattering can be a few things, they use it to communicate. Do they have something solid to chew on? Rodent's front teeth grow continuously, so they have to chew to wear them down. A sharp clicking noise indicates distress and anger.

If it's more of a grinding sound while resting, she's happy. Rats do a thing called 'boggling' where they grind thier teeth and it makes their eyes jump a bit when they're very relaxed and comfy. I'd bet mice do the same.

Idk how else to describe it but it sounds like you're doing great.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 8, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

precision posted:

jellybean is already tame enough that she likes hanging out :3: she hops on my hand and if i sit on the bed she'll just climb up and down my arms and in and out of my hoodie. she also does this :3: thing where if she wants me to move my hand she chitters a little bit and then gives it a quick nibble. it's so freakin cute

:nice:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Pennywise the Frown posted:

After following the Ukraine situation non-stop, this was nice. :3:

My thoughts exactly...

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

omg they are precious! Thank you for posting these cute lil rodents, op.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
aaaaaa i had no idea mice were so smart and communicative

when jellybean plays "climb on human" now she will sit on my shoulder and chitter at me and give me little mouse kisses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
They want your salt, give them your salty fingies