Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Negostrike posted:

Am I having false memories or did this game really have a robotic assistant onboard your ship and they removed it for the final release? Was it that unpopular? I mean, someone recorded tons of lines for that character.

There is the Hive AI which was also in the first game. I'm not all that far into the game yet to see where they go with it but it seems pretty vocal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Holy poo poo if you though the Disruptor beam was whacky, wait until you get the RGBeam Laser in RGB mode.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Popete posted:

There is the Hive AI which was also in the first game. I'm not all that far into the game yet to see where they go with it but it seems pretty vocal.

Yeah, never mind. I was misremembering things, thought Hive was on the ship since the beginning.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I can specify why I'm getting my rear end kicked.

I'm playing this...like a flight sim. As in charge in and dogfight something.

Meanwhile the drones hover around 2km away and pick me off with coil guns.

You kinda want to hang back, strafing in and out of cover rather than dogfighting.

...ehhhh

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

H13 posted:

You kinda want to hang back, strafing in and out of cover rather than dogfighting.

...ehhhh

I mean, I'm dogfighting constantly. But this isn't a 'dogfighting' game in the sense that things like "energy" matter. The specific drones you're talking about, if they're at 2km, are Sniper Drones. These are annoying as hell, but like any drone they're extremely weak. You can either bring a long range weapon and beat them at their own game, or get in their face with boost/teleport. They have a tell--there's three red beams that come off the drone as it is aiming. When they converge, don't be where they converge.

Around 70% of my losses in ancient rifts are sniper drones I lost track of. 20% is me failing a DPS check on the final room. 10% is flying too close to a Madcap when it shits mines everywhere--this last one will one-shot you.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah the drones die in like one hit, but it's feeling like I'm fighting against a pack of aimbots. I'll be turning and twisting to out-maneuver some sort of fighter or thing that's actually fun to fight, and I'll be taken out by drones who never miss.

I'm not new to these games. I loved Freelancer, Elite Dangerous, Descent: Freespace etc. and could beat most of those games without breaking a sweat. The combat here I'm bouncing off pretty drat hard. It's generally 3\4 vs. 1 and I'm getting picked off at medium\long ranges by assholes with insane accuracy while trying to dogfight something else.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
As soon as you're spotted they will chase you down. If there are too many of them. Lead them into some asteroids/debris so you can more easily break line of site if your shields go down.

If there are sniper drones I always go for them first.

The emp is very good at handling getting swarmed too.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

H13 posted:

...ehhhh

get the rail gun and decimate groups first from a distance. Always go for the drones first, they go down with one hit usually. Not only sniper but all of them, armor and webber drones are no joy in close combat. Only dogfight small groups without drone support, you will still get hit as this game doesn't really allow outmanouvering. EMP, some ults and Great Espace device can get you out of some situations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
in general (but it varies based on your ship type) your best options are to alternate between "dogfighting" and strafing around your target using lateral and vertical thrusters. up down left right, always use these.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does anyone actually use the striker type ship? the one that gets bonus damage the closer your are. It seems less annoying to play than the Scout which is the "run away and shoot with railguns" ship but the defensive numbers just aren't there for it imo.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I’ve had pretty good luck flying in spirals. Just rotating the left stick around at a sort of medium pace. Got through the first jump gate yesterday and did some more high risk areas. I got some rockets with the powerful affix and it only seems to take about 100 of them to wreck the destroyer at the end which is pretty sweet. Excited to try some cruise missiles when I finally get them.

Oh, any tips for finding a particular ship? I really want a II+ gunship and basically I visit both the shipyards I know about after every few missions to see if they have one but I’m not having any luck. I suppose I just have to keep trying? I was thinking about flying around looking for more shipyards too.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

haldolium posted:

you will still get hit as this game doesn't really allow outmanouvering.

This is the issue.

I feel like you kinda have to be a Skyrim Stealth Archer rather than a Luke Skywalker Ace Pilot.

I kinda grew up playing WW2 flight sims so I'm used to the whole "firing when you can see the white of their eyes" and getting into gut-wrenching, super-tight turning battles in super-close range but that seems to be a 1-way ticket to being swarmed and picked apart here. I feel like you have to out-gun things rather than out-fly them.

That might change later in the game when I get some better ships? Maybe the first few ships are a bit poo poo in a noteworthy way.

I'm gonna restart and focus on more long-range weaponry and hanging back. But that mission where you're in Union space and you follow the guy through an asteroid field only to come across an Outlaw Destroyer, base and a wing of outlaws, PLUS drone support who all have their cannons aimed only at you, with impeccable aim feels like utter bullshit if you try to fly in and out-maneuver everybody at super close ranges.

Oh and is there a better way to target instead of middle mouse? I want to cycle targets and find the drones first but so far I can only target what's under my reticle, which means I have to go hunting to find drones rather than have them pointed out to me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The worst part about not getting hit is the goddamn redeemers that have the heat seeking guns by default.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Warmachine posted:

That said, I found a booster and cargo with +Handling on it, so my heavy fighter turns on a dime now.

Stacked up handling and speed boosts through cruise booster + cargo is really impressively good, especially for that vindicator of yours.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

The worst part about not getting hit is the goddamn redeemers that have the heat seeking guns by default.

The redeemers don't bother me. The Okkar with the loving drop 4-5 energy balls that they go shooting after you do. They're only slightly more of a priority than sniper drones.

Kavros posted:

Stacked up handling and speed boosts through cruise booster + cargo is really impressively good, especially for that vindicator of yours.

I'm holding out for a Starforged Cargo with +Handling and Expertise. Or a Wrath of the Fallen drop.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

H13 posted:

Yeah the drones die in like one hit, but it's feeling like I'm fighting against a pack of aimbots. I'll be turning and twisting to out-maneuver some sort of fighter or thing that's actually fun to fight, and I'll be taken out by drones who never miss.

I'm not new to these games. I loved Freelancer, Elite Dangerous, Descent: Freespace etc. and could beat most of those games without breaking a sweat. The combat here I'm bouncing off pretty drat hard. It's generally 3\4 vs. 1 and I'm getting picked off at medium\long ranges by assholes with insane accuracy while trying to dogfight something else.

Targeting priority is absolutely key. You have to evaluate everything - how many enemies there are in total, where the clusters of enemies are, their distance, their engage range, and what types are in each cluster. Then you have to position yourself accordingly, pick the closest group, take out priority targets, then watch the next closest group while you engage the remainders. And of course once one group is down, a new one warps in, while all the remaining ones are that much closer. At some point all groups will have converged on you, when that happens I typically pop out a virus, an emp, and then thrust somewhere empty. Then I turn around and start from the beginning.

It's a little too much of the same old once you're at endgame, every fight goes the same way. For reference I'm in a Tier 4 bomber.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You can force sniper drones to miss but the only way I've done it reliably is a sudden burst of manuevering right as they start to fire, you can't just mash a button and hope they won't track you. They're like every other enemy that way, just with 3.5km range or whatever. I use teleport when I see the three red lasers to get in close fast, but any movement skill will do. Well, maybe not energized boost, the cooldown is long.

combat is at its hardest earliest, then there's a few bumps as enemy levels rank up but you get a lot of powerful perks and abilities to compensate.

redeemers ain't got poo poo on Zurillia or Retaliator drones, so just enjoy that :v:

Warmachine posted:

Or a Wrath of the Fallen drop.

this looks so good. I want one too. I already cause giant AOE explosions at all times with crits and crit kills wiping out entire enemy clusters, may as well force half those guys onto my side temporarily.

The only other legendary gear I really want is Cassiel's Protection, more or less for the same reason - give enemies something else to shoot. Guns, I'm not sure. I haven't tried RGBeam Laser but the description makes it sound pretty fun. all it needs now is to play loud dance music at the same time. Might just hope to get another Crimson Sun; simple and effective.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 25, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I managed to feed my entire shield to the Inquisitor boss at the end of a rift today by just flying like a goddamn moron.

I'd kill for a kill-cam or "last 10 seconds" playback in rifts, since things are so chaotic I sometimes can't tell what killed me. Which, admittedly, is part of the problem in playing a Brawler Vindicator. My other wishlist item would be a 'threat list' showing what enemies are nearby once you have a sensor contact, since while I'm spinning around like a coked up hamster there's zero chance for me to visually identify every threat and evaluate it. Usually my only warning of a sniper is the aiming beams converging or my shields and armor disappearing suddenly because I was busy dancing with ten other enemies and my six drones in a giant disco light furball.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I'm playing on hard and haven't had any issues, but I played everspace 1 a lot so I'm used to how they design encounters.

Pretty much every system goes like this: zoom towards first pod of enemies, shooting at drones as soon as I'm in range. Once I'm close enough, emp everything since the pod is usually tightly clustered enough to the whole group. Once the drones are down, dogfight the actual ships left over. This strategy works for the default ship and even better for the drone boat. If more drones show up, always prioritize them since they have no health. Large ships melt to a barrage of missiles, so if there's one in a fight swap to the straight fire missiles with a capacity of ~200. If shields break, I support ability turbo boost out of the fight to get some breathing room, then reengage by prioritizing drones again.

I only use beam lasers, pulse lasers, and coil guns. Anything else just doesn't feel how I like. Railgun is fine but then it leaves you down a slot in a close range fight. I play with a controller though so some things like flak which is great are just not usable for me. Also like other people said boosting on and off to dodge sniper drone shots, etc. Also gently caress the shields that only recharge while boosting.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I'm playing on hard and haven't had any issues, but I played everspace 1 a lot so I'm used to how they design encounters.

Pretty much every system goes like this: zoom towards first pod of enemies, shooting at drones as soon as I'm in range. Once I'm close enough, emp everything since the pod is usually tightly clustered enough to the whole group. Once the drones are down, dogfight the actual ships left over. This strategy works for the default ship and even better for the drone boat. If more drones show up, always prioritize them since they have no health. Large ships melt to a barrage of missiles, so if there's one in a fight swap to the straight fire missiles with a capacity of ~200. If shields break, I support ability turbo boost out of the fight to get some breathing room, then reengage by prioritizing drones again.

I only use beam lasers, pulse lasers, and coil guns. Anything else just doesn't feel how I like. Railgun is fine but then it leaves you down a slot in a close range fight. I play with a controller though so some things like flak which is great are just not usable for me. Also like other people said boosting on and off to dodge sniper drone shots, etc. Also gently caress the shields that only recharge while boosting.

My Brawler Vindicator is basically what you described, at least in concept.

Weapons: Autocannon, Sync Pulse Laser, and either Web or Shieldbreaker missiles with the free-fire on crit perk.
Parts: Thundercore, Cassiel's Protection, and the other parts are all +Expertise and +Handling, with the booster being a fast recharge.
Devices: EMP w/ Shield Restore, Annhilator Virus w/ Damage Reduction, Missile Defense System w/ Minesweeper, Teleporter w/ Parting Gift

I open by charging right into the furball and dropping the EMP on the clustered enemies. This triggers Thundercore, causing them to all deal damage to each other while in proximity and killing or severely damaging the whole furball. Reinforcements get the first shot of Virus, while I use my suspiciously high maneuverability for a heavy to swing around and clean up with pulse lasers and autocannons as needed. After this, you use Phalanx, EMP, and Virus on cooldown to continually chew through targets. I use the Defensive Massacre perk to keep my shields up, so the best thing to do if things start tilting against me is to just kill more things faster, and Always Be Boosting.

The reason I've liked Web missiles normally is for the Critical Faculty/Exploitation synergy, since I want Phalanx to be up as much as humanly possible. Web-on-crit, plus increased crit after the missile hits help keep the Ult gauge charging. The problem is that this combo is worthless against the thing I'm actually having problems with right now, which is the DPS race at the end of a rift. Capital ships are immune to web, and since you can't switch equipment in a rift, I'm starting to use Shieldbreakers as my autocannon will happily piss out damage as long as I hold down the button, but the pulse laser tends to run out of power fast, so having something else to crack shields is helpful.

The other idea I had was to use Destabilizer missiles instead for the double damage. The damage missile is more 'reliable' in that it applies the damage instantly and as fast as I can score crits, up to 1/s. But I'm wondering if the overall effect of the double damage would lead to more total damage even accounting for 'wasted' missiles.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh, and I've tried flak, and I just don't think it has the punch to handle higher-lunacy rifts. Since there's such a wide variety of enemies, and so many things floating around, it's really only any good for swatting drones, and half the time the shell's proximity fuse is going to trigger on something you're not aiming at like a mine or a random ship crossing your path. The more precise weapons are just more reliable, I find.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah so I restarted, and found a rail gun super early.

I'm up to the mission where it's possible to buy your first new ship.

I've been sniping the gently caress out of everything with the rail gun. By the time things get close enough to dogfight, it's usually 1 on 1 and that thing has like half health.

I haven't ever had my shields broken.

Distance is king in this game. As in you want as much of it as possible.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Flak gun owns I unfortunately have only found 1 so far so I can't even craft a new one.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The last green catalyst I unlocked was marksman, but now I can make all the 4.55km rail guns I want! I got a blue one a bit earlier but it didn’t have marksman, but now it does!!

Also finally found a 2+ funship. It has the extra boost speed perk which is pretty great. I wanted extra range or weapon efficiency or something but speed is probably better for kiting honestly.

Anyway now that I can make more railguns on demand I guess it is time to do some more content!

Oh, are there certain ships that auto-aim doesn’t work on? For some reason there always seem to be one or two in each high risk area and it sucks having to switch to flak to blast them because I am a filthy casual

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kavros posted:

I found something better. Sure, handling is nice, but literally instant direction changes are better

Always Be Boosting

edit:

That rift gave me the literal antithesis of that item.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 26, 2023

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The front shield device is every bit as powerful as it was in Everspace 1. Would strongly recommend if you're having survivability issues and just want to face tank instead of having to dance around too much. Though admittedly I think you get that one pretty late.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

TehSaurus posted:

Oh, are there certain ships that auto-aim doesn’t work on? For some reason there always seem to be one or two in each high risk area and it sucks having to switch to flak to blast them because I am a filthy casual

Turns out the answer is yes. I hate it!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1128920/discussions/6/3763353492978718526/

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
What are people's thoughts on Stinger ships for later in the game?

I played up until the cultist system a few months back and getting one with a couple device slots really opened the game up for me and I loved the zippiness of it but felt like the survivability might eventually fall off to the point of being unplayable.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

What are people's thoughts on Stinger ships for later in the game?

I played up until the cultist system a few months back and getting one with a couple device slots really opened the game up for me and I loved the zippiness of it but felt like the survivability might eventually fall off to the point of being unplayable.

I have good news for you about Stinger survivability. As you may have seen in their possible passives:

20% reduced cooldowns for warfare devices.
20% reduced cooldowns for support devices.
Void Swarm radius increased by 25%.
Become cloaked for 5s after shield is depleted.
:siren:Using a device restores 25% shields. :siren:

Combine this with multi-charge devices like teleport and fusion hook and, well..

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Just get the biggest shield possible and go to town eh?

I got a superior gunship yesterday. I’m super pumped! Also the first rare secondary bp I got was for cruise missiles so I guess the rng karma balanced out eventually

Still don’t feel like I have a good grasp of the salvage meta but I’ve taken to selling everything that isn’t rare and I like having all the money at least

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My biggest issue is never using my Ult.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Popete posted:

My biggest issue is never using my Ult.

Play something that lives and dies on its ult. That'll fix your problem quick.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
It doesn't help that the icon for the Ult is teeny-tiny and crammed into a corner of the screen, the default key for it is a little out-of-the-way, and I already have several other "Oh poo poo!" keys to press when I get overwhelmed that I don't have to fumble with being in close proximity to the Cruise Drive key to reach, have more presence in the UI, and have consistent cooldowns instead of a charging super meter.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think I would be more apt to use it if it was on a timer instead. Agreed though if it was more obvious in the UI I'd probably actually remember I even have it.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Kavros posted:

I have good news for you about Stinger survivability. As you may have seen in their possible passives:

20% reduced cooldowns for warfare devices.
20% reduced cooldowns for support devices.
Void Swarm radius increased by 25%.
Become cloaked for 5s after shield is depleted.
:siren:Using a device restores 25% shields. :siren:

Combine this with multi-charge devices like teleport and fusion hook and, well..
Yeah, in early access I had a Stinger with the 25% shields on device usage and 20% cooldown on warfare devices and between that and the overall maneuverability of the ship I rarely died, even when doing stuff a few levels higher, but I'm curious if later on in the game can things just one shot you if you don't have enough hull/armor? I think overall in this game I just really appreciate a faster, lighter ship but would be kind of bummed if the latter half is just constantly reloading saves cause I got plinked from across the map :/

Also, I don't think I ever used that cloak on losing shield ability, but that sounds awesome. Is there a cooldown on it?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Yeah, in early access I had a Stinger with the 25% shields on device usage and 20% cooldown on warfare devices and between that and the overall maneuverability of the ship I rarely died, even when doing stuff a few levels higher, but I'm curious if later on in the game can things just one shot you if you don't have enough hull/armor? I think overall in this game I just really appreciate a faster, lighter ship but would be kind of bummed if the latter half is just constantly reloading saves cause I got plinked from across the map :/

Also, I don't think I ever used that cloak on losing shield ability, but that sounds awesome. Is there a cooldown on it?

In my experience, there are things that seem to be able to strip a health bar in a single hit, but I only encounter those in high-lunacy rifts. Nothing in the main game seems to do that. Also keep in mind that the split in damage types means something can do infinity energy damage and only strip your shields while leaving armor untouched (or vice versa).

I say seem because there's not really any kind of good "what killed me?" readout in rifts. Some of my instant deaths, for example, clearly came from me being too close to a Madcap when it died and spit out like 8 mines which all exploded on me at the same time. Since picking up a "Terminal Velocity" legendary booster, my playstyle has changed considerably to take advantage of the free maneuverability that booster gives you--I don't get up in the face of things nearly as much as I used to, so I've had very few instant failure states since then.

I'm actually coming around on lighter and faster as the better option for survivability in most cases. I'm getting way more mileage out of scooting around at mid range constantly and I suspect that the lighter and faster ships make it a lot easier to outright avoid situations where you could theoretically be killed like that.

tl;dr my experience going from a flying brick Brawler Vindicator to a more nimble Skirmish Vindicator makes me think that you'll do fine with light and fast ships so long as you lean into being light and fast.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The latest Nvidia drivers really helped my framerate, I was hitting 60 fps but my GPU sounded like a Chinook and after the new drivers it's quiet as a mouse

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've gotten way into this since I saw it entered 1.0 release (and is free on Game Pass!).

It actually reminds me more of Starlancer than Freelancer, but I loved both games.

The flight and weapons generally feel great, but even the heaver ships can feel like they're armored with toilet paper, and the extra speed and maneuverability in the lighter ships doesn't seem to affect enemy hit rates very much. I can juke a bit and cause some misses, but they home back in quickly even if I'm being evasive.

Other than that, it's a very solid game, with a lot more substance that I'd expected from a Kickstarter game that came up through Early Access. Long storyline, interesting sidequests, and plenty of secrets to explore. The "puzzle" elements get stale quickly since they're basically all the same, but I've never feel like I'm penalized for deciding that a particular secure crate isn't worth the hassle.

I just opened up the third system, so I guess I'm maybe halfway through the story, according to the map? I've settled on a Gunship with Rail Guns and Flak, with a rotating close-in weapon for when I need it. Which is rare, with Rail Guns and Flak. My god, one charged rail shot kills most things without heavy armor.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Gunships and bombers are fun but once I went with a vindicator I never could go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Recently picked this up after trying (and laughing at) Star Citizen.
Just made it through the first jump gate, having a blast. Story hasn't been the strongest part of the game so far, but the visuals surely make up for it. The puzzle bits I could do without, but at the very least they offer something different from just blasting fools out of the skies.
Is there any point in actually running cargo between systems? Money doesn't feel like an issue, just by doing Unknown Signal locations now and then.

Feels good to be Freelancer Alpha 1-1 again, cruising around and dispensing pewpews to those who deserve it.

Also turning off Ineratia Dampeners is mad fun, just needs a while to get used to.

giZm fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 25, 2023