Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The Noctoguant is a being of condensed nightmare. Its muscles bulge with preternatural strength. It can effortlessly rip doors off of their frames, tear through metal with its claws, and can move with surety and terrifying speed in the darkness. No weapon of man can do anything but temporarily slow the monster down as it draws closer and closer to its prey. The natural world seems to splinter and suppurate by the mere fact of the Noctogaunt's unearthly and abominable presence, and its every footstep leaves behind a trail of bloody corruption. If, through some horrific circumstance, it catches you, your fate will be dire indeed: you will have to complete a quicktime event to escape from its grasp, which will make it drop aggro for a few seconds and give you another chance at some weird light-based puzzle or something. Also sometimes the Noctoguant will glitch into a door and just kind of vibrate impotently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Tree Goat posted:

The Noctoguant is a being of condensed nightmare. Its muscles bulge with preternatural strength. It can effortlessly rip doors off of their frames, tear through metal with its claws, and can move with surety and terrifying speed in the darkness. No weapon of man can do anything but temporarily slow the monster down as it draws closer and closer to its prey. The natural world seems to splinter and suppurate by the mere fact of the Noctogaunt's unearthly and abominable presence, and its every footstep leaves behind a trail of bloody corruption. If, through some horrific circumstance, it catches you, your fate will be dire indeed: you will have to complete a quicktime event to escape from its grasp, which will make it drop aggro for a few seconds and give you another chance at some weird light-based puzzle or something. Also sometimes the Noctoguant will glitch into a door and just kind of vibrate impotently.

reading this in this guy's voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_iOYvTBYM

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The timer says I've been running around this lovely old dilapidated house of cretinous monsters for the last 13 hours but whenever I look through a window to the outside it's always completely pitch-black. Thirteen loving hours of 1AM?

Oh hey a new door, and the moment I step through it's now inexplicably the early dawn.

What.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

gently caress I looked at the convection oven for too long guess it's the murder/suicide ending again

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Oh, crap, found another monster that's just the dev's fetish again.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

oh its terrible here! every building and road is rotting and rusting away, there is guns and ammo lying all over the place, its always so smoggy you can barely see, and the sky is always a hideous shade of orange

edit: sorry meant to post this in the thread about living in Los Angeles

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Well, seems like I'm done with this key. I better just discard it.

No, that would be careless. I'm gonna hide it behind thr left eye of this bust of late Roman emperor Maximus Thrax that requires a riddle about giraffes and two gemstones up it's nose to open.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Writing my dissertation on Victorian architecture and needing to include a whole chapter on why rich guys insisted architects build their houses like mazes that take twenty hours to cross from one side to the other

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

A sliding puzzle? Seriously?
I'm not even mad I'm just disappointed.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Libra posted:

A sliding puzzle? Seriously?
I'm not even mad I'm just disappointed.

its what you get when you underbid on construction to build your giant castle in the forest

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yeah so the apocalypse is happening and there is chaos everywhere. your story is just one of thousands or even millions of horrifying tales happening even as we speak. you want to go see some of them? sorry, how about you stay in these series of interconnected small rooms with no exterior access or other people to talk to. the apocalypse is definitely happening though, you can tell by the skybox with a skyscraper with smoke coming out of it, and, if you’re really nice, we can throw in a helicopter flyby or maybe some ambient audio of ambulance sirens or screams or gunshots, how does that sound?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
If I rescue that toddler from being eaten by wolves, I wont' have time to rescue my wife from being kidnapped by cannibals! I can't do both, and either way I'll be responsible for somebody's death...Oh no, I accidentally set fire to an animal rescue shelter in my attempt to save that toddler. Now my wife is dead and a mob of angry veterinarians is chasing us! Maybe I should just sit on this rock and do nothing. Oh no, I accidentally sat on the button that launches the nuclear missiles. Who left that here? I could push the recall button, but that would require gnawing my own leg off to reach it...Ok, the missiles are recalled and my leg is gone. I'm going to bleed out if I don't trade the toddlers last bottle of insulin to the angry veterinarians for a tourniquet...Ok, I got the tourniquet, but I had to tell the veterinarians that it was the toddler who set the fire. RIP, Timmy. I'll have to lie to Timmy's meth-addicted, gun-happy parents when they ask where he is...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's pretty rough fighting off these shambling, incomprehensible horrors with a rusty pipe, but at least I have a reliable narrator!

Oh, what this?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I'm the protagonist with an air of mystery about me, but secretly I did some very bad things in my past

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Logging off to let my sanity meter refill

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

How the gently caress was a dog behind all of this???

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

There, I did it, I killed the big monster -- which was only slightly bigger than the rest of the monsters -- time to leave and go home thanks to this convenient helicopter escape. I've been so overly-cautious throughout this whole excursion, using only the shittiest weapons purely because something big might have turned up, that I have stashed enough in the way of supplies to go through it all again ten times over and just make everything in my way loving explode, all without a care in the world.

What do you mean I don't get to keep this stuff for next time? My only reward is the option to wear some dumb novelty outfit?

Aw gently caress.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Man you will not believe this butI just saw a big hunk of tofu stab one of the mutant monsters to death. What? Extra firm I guess. I mean it's not likely to be silken is it?

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

ffs why are there so many typewriters here

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I must make the most harrowing choice I'll ever make in this horror game: do I choose to save even though the save screen flashes a really bright red color that will hurt my eyes because its so dark in my room, or do I risk pushing onward without saving and spare my eyes the pain?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

That was a close escape. It's a good thing reanimated skeletons don't know how to use ladders.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm going to make no attempt to fight back against these monsters that drain my sanity to even look at, even though there are tons of things I could use as potential weapons to help my escape.

I can't even try, and my only option is to run or badly hide with no real supporting stealth mechanics, despite the fact that the Thief game series was like 10 years ago and essentially had hide and seek gameplay on lock. Light and sound don't seem to really matter, just that I find the exact hiding spot the game wants and don't look at the bad monster because the devs couldn't actually do organic modeling for poo poo and based their game around not looking. Which, tbf, good play.

But this is a horror game! For real! Not a glorified version of the walking sims people sneer at!

I've died 3 times because I couldn't stop laughing at the monster coming at me. It's ok, buddy, kill me, the tension is kinda gone, you can borrow some of my polygons, because I think you need them more than me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I just killed a guy with a gun, let me just... I'll just... let me pick... I'll just grab... let me... just give me the... OK I'll move on.

*is handed a gun 5 minutes later*

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Good thing we keep coming upon machetes strewn about in this temperate zone.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Bats! Watch out, bats are instantly deadly if you touch them. See how they all hover at a fixed height above the ground? All we have to do is crouch down to avoid touching them. Let's just hope we don't have to climb up or down any ropes or staircases.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Looting this normal house, finding a single shotgun shell in a kitchen drawer and nothing else useful

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

All these cop zombies stumbling around the joint, you'd think at least one of them was carrying a handgun or ammo or even a baton for gently caress's sake.

Also the number of male zombies compared to female zombies here is just unbelievable and utterly absurd, something like 50:1. And do kids just completely evaporate or something if they get whatever affliction is causing this shitshow?

This place would have been a creepy dump even without the face-eating undead cannibals. I'd turn back the way I came and just leave town, but there's always an inconvenient barricade/traffic pile-up/fire in the way of every exit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welllllllll he ain't my boy but the brother is heavy

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

turkey in the walls

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

All these cop zombies stumbling around the joint, you'd think at least one of them was carrying a handgun or ammo or even a baton for gently caress's sake.

Also the number of male zombies compared to female zombies here is just unbelievable and utterly absurd, something like 50:1. And do kids just completely evaporate or something if they get whatever affliction is causing this shitshow?

This place would have been a creepy dump even without the face-eating undead cannibals. I'd turn back the way I came and just leave town, but there's always an inconvenient barricade/traffic pile-up/fire in the way of every exit.

Kids are small and your average zombie can finish a whole one in a sitting duh.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phew, made it to the safe room! It's not in any way different from other rooms I've seen those super strong zombies break into, except the door is red.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

MacheteZombie posted:

Looting this normal house, finding a single shotgun shell in a kitchen drawer and nothing else useful
please get out of my house

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Phew, made it to the safe room! It's not in any way different from other rooms I've seen those super strong zombies break into, except the door is red.

World Famous W posted:

please get out of my house

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Hi, it's me, the guy you've hitherto only talked to over the radio for the past few hours. I'm just in the next room, behind this door! Open the door and I'm sure we will just have a nice chat. Heck, I'll probably make good on my promise to rescue you and then we can all get out of here.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

It's great that I can kill ghosts with bullets.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I feel like I’m the only employee on this space station that isn’t constantly recording 30 second audiologs and dropping them around. Did I miss an email or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just heard howling when this area loaded, the few sane villagers left won’t stop talking about a great beast, and there’s posters everywhere saying “BEWARE THE HELLHOUND AFTER SUNSET”. oh boy, a bunch of ammo and health just lying around in this room while the sky turns orange, i’m sure this doesn’t mean anything