Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

By popular demand posted:

since it takes a combat turn you may want to wait until you have a large number of corpses around but sure.

I was thinking pre-corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Nope, doing THAT is beyond even the most powerful of necromancers as far as you know.

To summarize, your powers are:
Possession
Whip of Hellfire
Zombies

Scepter powers:
Impel worship: might work on people but subjugation requires daily use for some time.
Project 2 copies of yourself in combat.
Flight.
Kill or destroy 1 target: If the target makes a Save, the user is killed. That means the person you're wearing. recharges annually.
The Scepter also repairs the holder's mortal body and stops aging but that isn't very useful to you right now.

E: of course, explaining some of the powers to your bodyguards will be harder than others.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can't we leave, fly back in the night and take him in his sleep?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If you want to attempt to extricate yourself from this conversational assault that is a plan, you don't know that Kilala intends to remain here and also skeletons never sleep.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Can we use the scepter to make others fly? I'm thinking skeletons two inches above the floor.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All right you lazy so-and-so's I consulted a chat bot and it was much better at this than you are:

>We're playing an RPG, your character is a demon with powers but you are disguised and using them now would turn most of your allies against you. In addition the opposing forces include a warrior and a necromancer and lots of skeletons. Currently you are attempting to negotiate but are making no headway, any suggestions?

hug chat posted:

As a demon in disguise, it's important to be mindful of how my actions and words may be perceived by my allies and opponents. Since I can't use my powers without revealing my true identity, I need to rely on other tactics to try and turn the situation in my favor. Here are some suggestions:

Appeal to their interests: Instead of trying to intimidate or threaten the opposing forces, I could attempt to appeal to their interests and motivations. For example, I could try to persuade the warrior that our goals align and that working together would benefit both parties. Similarly, I could try to convince the necromancer that there's a greater threat at play that we should focus on defeating together.

Use diplomacy: Negotiating requires give-and-take, so I should be prepared to make concessions in order to reach a mutually beneficial agreement. I could offer to share resources, provide information, or even assist in a future conflict in exchange for their cooperation. It's important to approach these talks calmly and respectfully, avoiding aggressive language or behavior that might tip off my true nature.

Play dumb: Sometimes, being underestimated can work to my advantage. If the opposing forces believe me to be a weak or unintelligent creature, they may let their guard down around me. This could allow me to gather valuable intelligence or catch them off guard when the time comes. To achieve this, I could feign confusion or naivety during negotiations, asking seemingly innocuous questions or requesting clarification on simple matters.

Seek common ground: Even if the opposing forces don't want to collaborate directly, there may be shared values or objectives that we can agree upon. By focusing on these areas of commonality, I may be able to create a foundation for future cooperation. For instance, if all parties value peace in the land, I could suggest ways to address the root causes of conflict rather than just fighting over symptoms.

Gather intel: While negotiation stalls, I can still gather useful information about the opposing forces. Listening carefully to their discussions, observing their movements and patterns, and analyzing their strengths and weaknesses can help me identify potential opportunities or vulnerabilities. This knowledge will come in handy when the time comes to act.

Prepare for alternative scenarios: Unfortunately, sometimes negotiations fail. If it becomes clear that neither side is willing to compromise, I must prepare for alternative scenarios. This could involve secretly gathering allies, setting up traps or ambushes, or devising contingency plans to counter the opposing forces' moves.

Maintain a poker face: Demons are often associated with cunning and manipulation, so it's essential to keep my emotions in check and maintain a neutral expression. Avoid smiling, frowning, or showing any reaction that could be misinterpreted as a sign of weakness or deceit.

Be patient: Lastly, patience is key in situations like this. Don't rush into anything or make impulsive decisions that could jeopardize my cover or safety. Take time to assess the situation, consider options carefully, and wait for the right moment to strike – whether that means launching a surprise attack or making a strategic move when the odds are in my favor.

So I'll get to writing a 'diplomatically probe their position and get information but cautiously retreat to plan the following encounter '

And all of you can just sit there and think how you just got clowned on by a dumb algorithm.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

*turns to bodyguards* "Leave us, go home."

Fazma Family bodyguard #1: "What? The Viscount's instructions..."

"I will deal with the Viscount, now obey."

Fazma Family bodyguard #2: *shrugs, taps #1 on the shoulder*

Kilala Sid: "Huh huh! The kitten has claws! Tell me little kitten, aren't you afraid to stand here alone with the likes of us? "

"Darling you call me the nicest things"

*stands quietly with the most dispassionate expression*

Kilala Sid: *snorts* "all right enough fun and games, why the gently caress are you here against Viscount orders and my security protocols?"

Necromancer Nancy: *looks expectantly*
:rolldice: success

"The Viscount doesn't know everything, and you are just soooooooo busy these days."

Necromancer Nancy: "Cheeky, but what brings you here?"

"I just think us mushrooms should look out for each other."

Kilala Sid: "Mush... Oh I know that: Kept in the dark and fed poo poo, right?"

"Right, and since the High Families are keeping their cards close to their chest we can't rely on them to warn us before poo poo starts raining"
:rolldice: success

Kilala Sid: "Well Viscount isn't here, so talk."

"I know the enemy we fear is in Hekraxis right now," You take a big risk "and I know what they do to people"

Necromancer Nancy: *leans in* "The big 'D'" *she looks at Kilala but he's not smiling at her joke*

Kilala Sid: "An actual demon lord? And all they can think about is have me fortify some forgotten hideouts?!"

"They must be hesitant about the two of you being so close, must look to them like you're getting ambitious"

Necromancer Nancy: "So that's what Viscount's remark about looking for "proper mages" was about, the privileged prick."

Kilala Sid: "Why haven't we seen any banishers around then?"

Necromancer Nancy: "Oh those high families are dabbling in something, I don't know quite yet what but they wouldn't dare contact any of the major temples."

GTG, To be continued.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I kinda think we should avoid anyone with 'banisher' in their job title.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Another busy day, but let's see what I can write:

By popular demand posted:

Necromancer Nancy: "Oh those high families are dabbling in something, I don't know quite yet what but they wouldn't dare contact any of the major temples."

GTG, To be continued.

"Allow me to introduce my associate: Svenendorf of the Invisible Brotherhood."
*you talk to Sven in his native tongue, of which you learned a bit during your travels* <You are a powerful cultist and demonologist, act dramatically>
(it is good you let him come here with his loincloth and cloak outfit, since he doesn't risk the townsfolk's xenophobia these days.)

*gives a dramatic nod and forms a couple of meaningless sentences at you, with plenty of deliberate enunciation.*

"He is pleased to meet you and eager to begin his work"

Necromancer Nancy: "Magical wardings and the like? OH! you want to present him to the High Families, that's clever."

Kilala Sid: "They will accept the help and Svenendorf will keep us alert of anything we should prepare for."

"And also raise all three of us into higher standing in the eyes of the Viscount, we just need to work on a cover story that doesn't have us breaking his commands."

Kilala Sid: "I think we can work something like that, but first: Honey Bunny, please check his credentials."

Necromancer Nancy: "Right-oh."
*The necromancer proceeds to question Sven in her very basic breadth of demonology, with you 'translating' it's no challenge at all.*
Necromancer Nancy: "And lastly, Do you have any theories as to the demon's motivations? The prison break of Moon Shadow, the quaint glue production at Path-of-Light, the disappearances in Forlorn Altar (You make note of that) and now all the troubles along the lower classes: what does this all add to?"

*he's been reciting native poems at you for a while now, and you've been spicing the meaningless generalities you give with just a bit of actual personal information.*

"Demons are fond of spreading chaos for many reasons, they enjoy it, it provides a cover for their more directed actions and it also greatly reduces the authorities efforts to find them. but in this local case the demon was ripping through the underworld looking for someone or something."

Kilala Sid: "Yeah, that fits what little I was able to hear: it was working it's way up the underworld, and if we do nothing it might come for me very soon. How did you find Brother Svenendorf anyway?"

"While I'm not at liberty to divulge my sources, the Invisible Brotherhood sends out their journeymen to deal with these sorts of problems before they are welcomed back and trained to full Masters of the Invisible Flame*.
I of course wasn't entirely certain but Svenendorf quickly analyzed the situation in town and assured me."
*The Invisible Brotherhood was a thing that existed centuries ago according to gossip back home, but it definitely sounds good and people like their lies with just the right amount of that they wish to hear.

Necromancer Nancy: "I think we can send you home now, you need to make sure the guards shut their mouths. Kilala and me have plenty to talk about."

Kilala Sid: "Can't bring you here for a follow up, I'll send you a note tomorrow with a time and a place in town. you'll leave the guards outside the place and only bring Brother Svenendorf, I'll have a proper way sorted to present him to the higher ups."

"For all our sakes and for Hekraxis. But never call me 'Gwend' or anything of the sort."

Kilala Sid: "You'd be surprised how well that technique works in getting secrets out."

"I should keep close then, good teachers are hard to find"

Giggling inwardly you take Sven back down the mountain, the setting sun brings out the hellish pigments in the sky.

To be continued...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

drat AI taking our domestic shitposting jobs :bahgawd:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well I'm busy here so go right ahead, the AI can wait.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How do we compare physically to a regular human? Like if we push this chump off a bridge into the water and jump down to drown him are we looking at a sure win or is it 50/50?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Assuming you're asking about Kilala, after the damage both of you might take for jumping off a bridge (depending on local factors) you have a slight edge in the water in that you can absolutely push the body you're wearing to the edge and survive.
Stating that though, you can probably think about many more efficient ways to kill a man and you'll probably have no issues just possessing him and marching into the sea.

You just need to figure out the logistics and remove any henchmen he might have.

As to just one-on-one combat, he's a skilled warrior so maybe he could kill your body or force you out but he'll be very weakened by the fight, permanently crippled even. That level draining whip is a doozy.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 7, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So without warning we tackle him into a lake/bath, fight until our body dies and then possess him while he's weak.

There's our plan B C

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You didn't expect a series of notes leading to a cabin in the woods a day's ride away from town but Kilala apparently takes security very seriously.
And so, after making some small arrangements and dropping off Lady Gwendoline's secret papers at Habakuk's estate (Always pays to make friends, the sort that fears you.) you and Sven ride off to the woods.

You've only started to plan how to separate Kilala from his thugs when one of them calls from the outside: seems some dirty vagabond has just helped himself to the drinking well, your quarry is now attempting to get the filthy man talk.
It doesn't seem like it's working.

You can come out with some plan or just wait patiently for the situation with the nontalking stranger to resolve. in which case you still want a plan.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Can our Scepter project our copies beyond line of sight? Say, to the other side of the wall to spook the horses. Also, how long does the impelling of worship last? Does it require constant effort on our part or is it like a cast spell of effect?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

1.It requires a line of sight but luckily there's a window in the eastern wall, so that's no problem.
2.on horses it might force them to remain calm when poo poo is obviously going down, no maintaining actions but you may need to repeat the power use if one of them resists.
E: if you're asking about people it depends on current morale, you can easily drive a crowd of frightened peasants down on their knees for a short time. remember that people require daily and methodical use to permanently break.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 8, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Okay, so I'm thinking:

--Project copies outside to spook the horses, drawing Kilala's outside guards over to see what's going on and get them under control
--Rush down guard #3, shouldn't be difficult in a 2-on-1 assault
--Assault Kilala, disable him and throw him down the well to drown
--Clean up the remaining guards as necessary
*Wildcard: if at any point things go south and we seem in danger of being outnumbered, impel worship on any target of opportunity to take them out of the fight as long as possible

Expecting not to have any trouble from the vagabond here, maybe we can even convince him to help us if he doesn't just make a run for it, but you never know.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The time to act is now.
Projecting illusory images among the horses riles them up and Thugs #1 and #2 move to control them.
You and Sven burst into the other room where you proceed to possess Thug #3 (roll succeeds, just). Sven dispatches Lady Gwendoline by breaking her neck.

Kilala moves inside at the noise.
: "what's going on?"
: "she just collapsed"

When Kilala moves to inspect her body you and Sven grab him and carry him over to the well.
: "Drink deep Kilala!"
: "No!" "glug"
The Mysterious vagabond just keeps drinking from the bucket as if nothing is going on.

So far so good but now you face two armed goons.
FINALLY, you summon your whip and strike! major damage and Thug #1 is WEAKened!
Thugs test for morale, both pass!
Thug #1 strikes: Miss!
Thug #2 strikes: Hit, minor damage.
Sven charges at Thug #1: Miss.
next round.
You whip Thug #2: minor damage but Thug #2 is WEAKened!
Thug #1 strikes: Miss!
Thug #2 strikes: Miss!
Sven strikes Thug #1: Miss.
next round.
You whip Thug #1: Critical hit! Thug is immolated and burns to dust!
Thug #2 tests morale: Fails, Thug is overwhelmed by blind panic and falls down whimpering
Sven executes the prone combatant.

You survey the scene: the thugs are dead, the vagabond just stands there and Kilala is motionless in the well, head first.

You still need to contact Agam, but since you just befouled the only water source around you should probably do that elsewhere. Also you may want to avoid Hekraxis for now.

The world is your oyster, where do you want to go?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm thinking Northwards.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Examine the vagabond. What's up with this fool?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

he is filthy, smelly and unshaven and he looks a great deal like the scion of Leeds Fort, Matisyahu.

You do recall that annoying drunk talking about a strange wanderer that some people dragged all the way to Fort Leeds thinking they'd get a prize for reuniting the family only to be disappointed.

Any attempt to get the disgusting man to confirm or deny that story is met with a blank stare.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Toss him down the well and move on

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

sure, you pick him up with no resistance at all and throw him down the well where he gets stuck on Kilala's protruding legs.
Giggling to yourself, you and Sven release two horses and ride the other two northwards.

E:
Several days later you arrive where the road crosses the river:

(Forgot to add that crater on the previous map, sorry.)
Leaving the horses to drink, you walk to gaze at a wide and clear piece of the river and call for Agam.

"the tides of fate have brought us together again. we thank you for submerging the heathens and we are in your debt."
-"one of these days I'd probably get bored enough to ask how they offended the waters." you reply, if the water spirit is annoyed or amused by your words you can't tell.

"You've also requested to have it known that you are available for tasks, this has been done and a representative is already by your side."
What? you look aside when a new voice speaks:

"Hello Infernal Prince."
You look to Sven who seems just as surprised as you, you look at the river but Agam seems to have gone.

"I come bearing a request from The Mistress of all felines and also a personal one from me."
-"Speak then, small predator."

"My Mistress wants a woman in Gold Wind chopped to bits and fed to the cats for which you'll be told where to find more of those funny ducks you have. and I wish to join you on your travels."
-"And why should I take you along, Mewing Messenger?"
"It's Katz and I can be very useful as a scout, never being noticed and equipped with sharp senses. I can get into anywhere."

Question time: where to go and what to do?

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 11, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I love how Sven is straight up a-okay with all of this madness.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You broke his spirit and offered to feed his horrendous vices, try it- it works.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yes yes we all understand how employment works.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What a coincidence! Goldwind is our next target of skullduggery. And sure, a mystical cat familiar, why not.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All righ our demon lord is loose up north and I choose to now develop a different thing in the world:

Forlorn-Altar, A major trading hub yet a dull and puritannical city, a temple at every other street corner and not a single bar.
Many preaching missionaries espousing the New Way, a religious doctrine forbidding anything that may 'excite the passions' -Drink, Dance and Debauchery is strictly forbidden within city limits.
Most travelers only stay the night and move on, which is just the way the residents like it.
For the city has hidden secrets and the powers that be only want citizens who they can recruit or the kind who ask no questions.

Recent notable happenings:
13th of Amar An adventuring party clears the Caves of Evil, at a faraway village .
17th- a forest fire near Moon Shadow.
21th- Prison break at Moon Shadow, military curfew enforced.
23th - adventuring party clears the Abandoned Mine.
38th? - a lady drowns at Lake Forlorn, no witnesses
1st of Aman: a mass burial site discovered near light path.
10th? of Aman: Mass Riots at Hekraxis.

Welcome to The Feuding Conspiracies of Forlorn-Altar!
I need two hidden factions who benefit from hiding under the façade of the puritanical city and slowly build up their forces. Also at least one of the faction is body snatchers!
the factions have to co-operate to a degree to avoid detection but they also compete for political CONTROL and available RESOURCES.

I need two players to act as faction leaders and a name change for the thread would also be welcome.
right now though:
Who and what are the factions? what are their goals, methods, and popularity amongst People-in-the-know? Also choose a home district.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

How the game will work: each faction will have to manage their CONTROL and RESOURCES and leverage them to their advantage:

Faction #1 has 12 CON AND 6 RES, they decide to leverage 2 CON in a scheme to grab more RES.
Faction #2 commits 1 CON to frustrate #1's efforts.

2-1 means #1 rolls with no advantage.
The die is cast: #1's roll succeeded:
#1 gains 1d6 resources!
Now it's time to check if the factions lost the CON they wagered:
#1 has a 1/6 chance for every single point they wagered (non additive)- he keeps one
#2 rolls and loses the point he wagered.

These are tentative rules and are subject to tinkering and also I intend to roll unforseen events that effect the playing field.