Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

FunkyJunk posted:

Yeah, Sidi might work for you if you have a relatively narrow foot too. The pairs I've had both seem like they would accomodate a fairly thick calf.

Any recommendation on a wider boot/shoe? I was liking the look of the Sidi Scorpion thing but I've got pretty fat feet. To compound matters I'm a size 13 usually, could maybe squeeze into a 12. The local bike shop only has A*'s and no 13s for me to try on so I'm pretty much in the woods here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

If anyone's interested, I'm selling my riding jacket in SA Mart. I'll even knock ten bucks off for my fellow cycle goons.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Ok, it took me a while, but I read through the thread and am still pretty confused as to what would be ideal, so I apologize if it's already been answered.

First off, I'm gonna be gettin a suzuki m50 in the near future. I'm 6'3", 230 lbs and I'm not particularly interested in looking like a power ranger (I doubt I could pull it off anyway). I live in SE Michigan, where the temperature varies pretty widely (70-95 and humid as balls). I figure I'm gonna be ridin it to work (15 miles ~50 mph), and to hang out (25 miles, mostly the same but with about 6 miles of highway).

So what suggestions do y'all have for stuff that will look good on a cruiser and be comfortable? Also I was gonna get a half helmet because I was worried about a full helmet making me uncomfortable or freak out, but thanks to this thread i think I'll take a harder look at full helmets.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

OniPanda posted:

So what suggestions do y'all have for stuff that will look good on a cruiser and be comfortable? Also I was gonna get a half helmet because I was worried about a full helmet making me uncomfortable or freak out, but thanks to this thread i think I'll take a harder look at full helmets.

I followed the advice in the thread and got a full face to replace my half helmet and its much more civilized. My eyes aren't drying out from the wind, I'm getting buffeted less, not going deaf, not getting bugs in my teeth, and I'm actually enjoying the long cruises instead of dreading them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

OniPanda posted:

Ok, it took me a while, but I read through the thread and am still pretty confused as to what would be ideal, so I apologize if it's already been answered.

First off, I'm gonna be gettin a suzuki m50 in the near future. I'm 6'3", 230 lbs and I'm not particularly interested in looking like a power ranger (I doubt I could pull it off anyway). I live in SE Michigan, where the temperature varies pretty widely (70-95 and humid as balls). I figure I'm gonna be ridin it to work (15 miles ~50 mph), and to hang out (25 miles, mostly the same but with about 6 miles of highway).

Look for some mesh/textile type stuff from newenough.com or the like. It's possible to get gear that's a little less obtrusive...you should be able to see a pretty wide range of stuff on their site, and figure out if there's anything that fits you.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

OniPanda posted:

As was said, look at the mesh stuff. If you get silver/gray or black you'll look fine on a cruiser. I like my First Gear jacket, but there are lots of brands that make them now.

As for the helmet, perhaps look into the flip-up full-face helmets like the ones HJC makes. The chinbar and visor on these flip up - you could raise it occasionally if you feel you're getting claustrophobic (though I don't think you will). I doubt they're made to crash in with the chinbar up, but it's far better than nothing. Roof sells a helmet (you maybe have to order it from Europe) which is actually designed to allow for the chinbar to be up in a crash. That helmet design is a bit funky, though, so it might not fit your appearance needs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

OniPanda posted:

Also I was gonna get a half helmet because I was worried about a full helmet making me uncomfortable or freak out, but thanks to this thread i think I'll take a harder look at full helmets.

Once you've worn one for a bit, you won't even notice it. I occasionally smack my head into poo poo because I forget I have a helmet on and don't have the clearance I thought I did :) As long as the helmet fits well, it'll start to feel like part of your head.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Quick question about helmets. I'm looking into getting the new bell 'star' helmet and was just wondering if there is any real danger in repainting a helmet. I don't have any real problem with the graphics they have, but I'd rather just get a solid color and let a painter have a go at it. The manual with my shoei goes into great detail and warnings about how I should only use warm water and very diluted mild detergent to clean it, and god forbid I want to polish it; makes it sound like it would shatter like glass at the slightest impact. Obviously I won't do this if there is real potential of damaging the helmet, and of course the guy said it was ok and everyone who's helmets he has painted said it was ok, but really I'd like a neutral or fact based point of view. So does anyone have any info on this aside from what the manuals say?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Once you've worn one for a bit, you won't even notice it. I occasionally smack my head into poo poo because I forget I have a helmet on and don't have the clearance I thought I did :) As long as the helmet fits well, it'll start to feel like part of your head.

Best advice I got regarding helmets is go to a local motorcycle shop and try 6-12 of them on until I found one that fit perfectly. I paid a bit more at the local brick and mortar, but it was worth every penny.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Xlyfindel posted:

Obviously I won't do this if there is real potential of damaging the helmet, and of course the guy said it was ok and everyone who's helmets he has painted said it was ok, but really I'd like a neutral or fact based point of view. So does anyone have any info on this aside from what the manuals say?

I'm wondering about this as well. My gloss black helmet is starting to pick up some scratches here and there and I'd like to eventually just buff the whole thing with super fine 0000 steel wool and turn it into a flat black helmet. Would this work?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd be interested to know about that as well. I know of places that paint helmets, so there has to be a way to do it...

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up

blugu64 posted:

Best advice I got regarding helmets is go to a local motorcycle shop and try 6-12 of them on until I found one that fit perfectly. I paid a bit more at the local brick and mortar, but it was worth every penny.

I'd suggest that once you find a helmet you think you want, keep it on your head for as long as possible in the store, like 30 minutes if you can do it, the longer the better. A helmet that isn't quite right might feel fine for the first 10 or 20 mins, and then you might experience a hot spot or a tight spot or something that will make you *miserable* if you experience it an hour or two into a ride.

My first helmet left me a nice hotspot right in the middle of my forehead on my first multi-hour ride that I felt even a few days later, ouch. I bought another helmet a size bigger, problem solved, but the $$ I spent on the first helmet was pretty much wasted.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So after trying to place it for a while, I've finally realized that my new helmet smells like vanilla inside. New helmet smell? and where can I pick up refills? :)

EDIT:

OniPanda posted:

Scorpion EXO-400

I think the exo-400 was already mentioned.

I liked the exo-400, but the exo-700 just fit better on my head, your mileage may vary.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 25, 2008

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

drat search bein down :argh:

Alright, this is what I'm considering and wonderin y'alls take on it.
Fieldsheer Mach 7 jacket
Fieldsheer Mercury Pants
and Scorpion EXO-400

I think the exo-400 was already mentioned.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Veritas posted:

ordered these yesterday =) . anyone have experience with them?

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/teknic/chicane_short_motorcycle_glove.html

Did you get these yet? I'm still thinking about picking up a pair.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, I've got a new job lined up, and to celebrate I was thinking about getting some new apparel. Riding apparel, that is. My Fieldsheer textile jacket is about 4 years old and has a loose thread tag or two along more than a few of its seams, but otherwise seems to be ok; should I replace it anyway?

As for gear recommendations, I ride mostly street and a bit of dirt, anywhere from 5ºC to 35ºC, and I've been fine with the textile comfortwise so far. I like the idea of Joe Rocket's Alter Ego convertible stuff, is that recommended at all? And what kind of boots should I be looking at? My old steeltoes are comfortable and great to walk around in, but I doubt they have as much ankle bracing as I'd want in a drop.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 25, 2008

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Uthor posted:

They seem pretty nice for the price to me, but I don't have much to compare them to. I think they may run just a tad smaller than the size chart indicates, but I haven't had time to get em good and stretched out so that could turn out alright.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Twenty-Seven posted:

They seem pretty nice for the price to me, but I don't have much to compare them to. I think they may run just a tad smaller than the size chart indicates, but I haven't had time to get em good and stretched out so that could turn out alright.

Are they cool enough for summer riding? I already have a good fall/winter pair.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Uthor posted:

so check this crap out. so the box arrived today.....without gloves in it. immediately called newenough and asked wtf was up. long story short they are reshipping my stuff today. dammit I'm pissed, waited a week just to come home to an empty box...and now i have to wait another week. :argh:

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Uthor posted:

I haven't actually put in too many miles with them yet. It's supposed to be 90+ all weekend and I finally have nothing to do but ride around, so I'll report back on Monday!

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007

8ender posted:

I'm wondering about this as well. My gloss black helmet is starting to pick up some scratches here and there and I'd like to eventually just buff the whole thing with super fine 0000 steel wool and turn it into a flat black helmet. Would this work?

I'm not really familiar with steel wool, but 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper will quickly turn gloss black into matt black.

Or, as Z3n said, you could paint it. If you do that however, be EXTREMELY careful to completely mask off all the openings and vents in the helmet so that you only get paint on the outer shell of the helmet.

The solvents in most paints will quickly destroy the impact absorbing polystyrene lining in the helmet if they come into contact with it, whereas the hard plastic/fibreglass outer shell of the helmet is fine with paints.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Uthor posted:

Reporting back as promised: they seemed pretty cool, although not quite as cool as they LOOK with all that meshing. It's not like you aren't going to notice you're wearing them, certainly, but they weren't uncomfortable.

Again, you should take what I say with a grain of salt because up until now I was using some old dirtbike gloves, so I don't have a very good frame of reference.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Guess I'll order a pair for $20. If I don't like 'em, I'll get the $90 ones I've been eying next year when I will most likely get a new set of summer gear.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I'd like some input on some first timer gear. I'm planning on using my bike for mostly commuting and touring so I'd like something that's going to be comfortable and as wind/water-resistant as possible. I don't plan on racing or really going super fast or anything either. That said, here's what I'm leaning towards for a generic set-up based on reviews:

1) Scorpion Hat Trick Jacket
2) Scorpion Stinger Gloves
3) Shift Lodown Jeans

Now for helmets I'm getting lost with the vast amount out there. I've heard good things about Scorpion and HJC but I'm not partial to them whatsoever. I like the flip-up chin style, but it doesn't seem like there are any really high quality helmets out for it on the same level as the full face helmets in terms of safety, quiet, etc (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd like to spend < $300 on a helmet if possible, since I'm sure I'll scratch it up at least a little bit at some point.

And for boots, I have no idea. I've got weird feet so I should probably go to a store. But basically just find something comfortable that covers the ankles? Any good brands?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Cross posted from the cycle pictures thread:

I was in a pretty nasty wreck on Saturday night while riding motards with a buddy. I don't remember much, but from what my buddy told me I highsided and landed pretty hard on my head:

and then on my shoulder:

and somewhere along the line I decided to punch the ground:

(note the carbon knuckle completely collapsed, both gloves were like that)

Damage report:

* Mild concussion
* Lots of sore muscles and sore neck
* Small patch of rash on my knee

And on the bike:
* Ground down handguard
* Broken lever

So yeah, wear your gear when you ride.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
If you're going to be riding as a primary source of transportation I highly recommend buying waterproof boots and gloves, and a rain suit to keep with you at all times. As for helmets, HJC will protect your head but be screamingly loud at speed. The more expensive helmets usually cost more because they're quieter. I think you could get away with ordering boots online, but you should source the helmet locally.

Riding "jeans" won't protect you as much as a proper pair of riding pants, nor will they protect significantly more than regular jeans. You should spend that money elsewhere, or get a pair of pants with legit armor.

(look guys a gear post where I don't mention newenough.com)

(oh poo poo)

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I don't hear much about RS Taichi gear but I guess yours held up well?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gene Simmons posted:

I'd like some input on some first timer gear. I'm planning on using my bike for mostly commuting and touring so I'd like something that's going to be comfortable and as wind/water-resistant as possible.

If you're only commuting and touring, you'll want something that is light and adaptable, plus pants you can take off easily for when you get to work. I'd look at textile or mesh gear from someone like Olympia or Fieldsheer and overpants for your legs. Overpants can be hot, though, if you get windproof ones. The jackets are more readily adaptable to warm weather with good use of vents, but I wouldn't recommend something like the Olympia AST for the summer.

Note that Olympia uses the same insulated liner in all their jackets (last I heard), so even something like their mesh jackets will be hot if you are caught out in the rain during the summer.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

French Canadian posted:

I don't hear much about RS Taichi gear but I guess yours held up well?

RS Taichi is seriously one of the best kept secrets of motorcycle apparel. They really put effort into making some high quality gear with some of the best leather. I've never felt leather so soft and pliable, while also being as thick as it is.

The their stuff is expensive, but I think it really is worth every penny. I'll certainly be looking into getting a full suit from them. I talked to one of the distributors and it sounds like they can alter standard sizes to try and better size you for just around $100 which really isn't bad at all.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

teknicolor posted:

Riding "jeans" won't protect you as much as a proper pair of riding pants, nor will they protect significantly more than regular jeans. You should spend that money elsewhere, or get a pair of pants with legit armor.

I did some research on this and those Shift jeans are kevlar-lined, and supposedly hold up decently well in a crash. Those are abrasian-resistance only though, no armor. I have a pair on order now, they were out of stock for a long time. I will post some impressions when they come in. I would not recommend you use those for touring, though. You definitely want real riding pants if you are going to be touring (I assume you mean highway riding by that). I don't know how long your commute is, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend riding jeans for that either.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Yeah there's abrasion resistance for the jeans vs. the road, but there isn't much in terms of jeans vs. skin. Jean rash loving hurts, and there's no impact resistance either.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

teknicolor posted:

Yeah there's abrasion resistance for the jeans vs. the road, but there isn't much in terms of jeans vs. skin. Jean rash loving hurts, and there's no impact resistance either.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/10492/ITEM/Alpinestars-Maxx-Denim-Pants.aspx

These both have a liner between the jeans & you and some padding for the knees (not armor, but something).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ChiliMac posted:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/10492/ITEM/Alpinestars-Maxx-Denim-Pants.aspx

These both have a liner between the jeans & you and some padding for the knees (not armor, but something).

I dragged a knee for the first time in kevlar reinforced jeans. I dragged knee for maybe half a second, wasn't trying to do it, just was having a really smooth, good day. In the maybe half a second that my knee touched pavement at 30mph, the jean material disappeared completely. The kevlar lining started to show serious wear, and I got a minor burn mark on my knee.

They will be better than jeans on their own, but expecting them to stop road rash is going to be more a matter of luck than protective gear. You also don't want them loose because they'll move around, fold over, and still cause rash because they're effectively rubbing on your leg as you slide around. "Loose fit" as a feature is pretty :psyduck:

They will be better than bare skin by a bit. If you get lucky, you may land just right and avoid taking any damage. I'd only recommend them if you paired them with some sort of hard armor that attaches directly to your legs, even something as feeble as some skateboard knee guards..together, they should protect you decently. Beyond that, I'd recommend textile overpants or better yet, leather.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 30, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

ChiliMac posted:

lol for $120 or a little more you could get any one of these, all with more protection than those jeans:
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/teknic/chicane_textile_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/ast1_textile_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/icon/arc_textile_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/icon/super_duty_2_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/atomic_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/ballistic_7_textile_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/caliber_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/venture_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

e: leather/textile hybrid: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/shift/havoc_leather_textile_motorcycle_pants.html

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 30, 2008

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Alright I'll just get textile pants ok!

So what about helmets? I've been trying to read reviews to get an idea, but it seems like there's no real consensus on what's great out there (besides saying >$500 = winner). I was reading some reviews that said this GMax GM68 helmet was really good, and that's only $100. Anyone have experience with it? Otherwise I'd probably lean towards the HJC Symax II, or maybe the Shoei Multitec if I'm feeling spendy, for flip up capabilities. I tried on the HJC and Shoei in a shop and they seemed to fit fairly well, but my head is in the exact spot between M and L which sucks.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Gene Simmons posted:

words

Keep in mind that the flip-up or modular helmets have a chance of latch failure in the event of an accident. While it may seem more convenient, it has the possibility to be a lot more painful. Just go to your local shop and try them on, I know at least some lid makers sell bigger or smaller padding for their helmets, so if you're in the middle you can either buy a size smaller and buy smaller pads, or larger lid and bigger pads. Any helmet will do the job as long as it is DOT and SNELL approved. Try them on and look out for hot spots (places that push down too hard or pinch), and try to keep the helmet on for a few minutes while you walk around the shop. None of those helmets you linked mention snell approval, so I'd check that out before ordering.

God I feel like the SA biek gear mommy today.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

teknicolor posted:

Keep in mind that the flip-up or modular helmets have a chance of latch failure in the event of an accident. While it may seem more convenient, it has the possibility to be a lot more painful. Just go to your local shop and try them on, I know at least some lid makers sell bigger or smaller padding for their helmets, so if you're in the middle you can either buy a size smaller and buy smaller pads, or larger lid and bigger pads. Any helmet will do the job as long as it is DOT and SNELL approved. Try them on and look out for hot spots (places that push down too hard or pinch), and try to keep the helmet on for a few minutes while you walk around the shop. None of those helmets you linked mention snell approval, so I'd check that out before ordering.

God I feel like the SA biek gear mommy today.

thanks mommy :wooper:

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

teknicolor posted:

lol for $120 or a little more you could get any one of these

...yes but I couldn't walk into work wearing any of them v:shobon:v

Z3n posted:

I dragged a knee for the first time in kevlar reinforced jeans.
:psyduck:

Z3n posted:

They will be better than jeans on their own...Beyond that, I'd recommend textile overpants or better yet, leather.

That's entirely the point--it's "better" even if not "good". When I lowsided at like 5-10 mph (new tires :argh: ) it tore a hole through normal khakis--at least denim would probably survive that fuckup. It's a pretty full backpack if you have to go everywhere with an extra pair of clothes.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Saddlebags are probably the best investment I've ever made. I rarely carry a backpack anymore, and my poor back thanks me everyday.

e: wear overpants and never worry about walking into work looking like a motorcyclist.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
e:^^^But walking around looking like a motorcyclist is the cool part!

ChiliMac posted:

...yes but I couldn't walk into work wearing any of them v:shobon:v

Beaten like a redheaded stepchild, but that is what "overpants" are for. They go, you know, over your regular pants. Plus they have features like armor, zip up sides to easily get in/out of, and you can find them in mesh, textile, and leather. I bought a pair of waterproof Scorpion Exo overs (can't remember the exact model) that are textile/mesh with armor and a windproof liner for cold days and they were like $150. So I can wear them when it's hot, cold, raining, to work, out to the bar, or wherever my fancy grabs me. For $50 more than a pair of "jeans" that won't do much more than fuckall should I wreck in them. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Sometimes when I am feeling frisky (running errands I don't need to unsuit for) I just wear the overpants. Then I'm wearing overpants and underpants and that's it :derp: