Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
There have been a lot of posts about knitting Christmas gifts- I just finished up a baby set for a friend of mine's niece- but is anyone going to GET knitting stuff for Christmas?

My parents just ordered me three different skeins of droooolworthy sock yarn (I gave them a brand and a link, they're surprising me with the colors)- and knitpicks lace blocking wires. I am pretty psyched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I asked for a KnitPicks gift card, dunno if I'm getting it since my mom has made a habit of asking me what I want and then getting something else entirely.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

hollaback grandma posted:

There have been a lot of posts about knitting Christmas gifts- I just finished up a baby set for a friend of mine's niece- but is anyone going to GET knitting stuff for Christmas?

My parents just ordered me three different skeins of droooolworthy sock yarn (I gave them a brand and a link, they're surprising me with the colors)- and knitpicks lace blocking wires. I am pretty psyched.

Since I'm still a beginner, my grandma is giving me lessons. :) And she's letting me raid her stash. I'm excited!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I caved and asked for that Webs bamboo interchangeable set. Fingers crossed I'll like them as much as my Clovers :ohdear:

Sex Hobbit posted:

I asked for a KnitPicks gift card, dunno if I'm getting it since my mom has made a habit of asking me what I want and then getting something else entirely.
Don't actually get a KnitPicks gift card! At KnitPicks, if you make a purchase over $50, shipping is free . . . but not if you're using a gift card. So just ask for an IOU instead.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
I'm getting a new set of circulars, a random collection of accessories from KnitPicks, some yarn and a pattern for slippers from my mother. I could be wrong, but I'm betting the slipper pattern is so that I can use it to make her some (I'm so not wrong).

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

I caved and asked for that Webs bamboo interchangeable set. Fingers crossed I'll like them as much as my Clovers :ohdear:

Don't actually get a KnitPicks gift card! At KnitPicks, if you make a purchase over $50, shipping is free . . . but not if you're using a gift card. So just ask for an IOU instead.

I doubt I'd ever place an order over $50 as I don't care for their yarn (too blah and skimpy on yardage), I just want it to buy needles as I need them. Already learned the hard way about buying needles in advance, and I couldn't ask my parents to spring for the interchangeable set.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I told my sister in law about the knitpicks wish list thing and sent her a link to it and basically asked for a swift and ballwinder. They have more money than me and a history of spending too much on gifts (got me a video ipod WAY out of the blue one year, just because I mentioned my second gen one was kinda old offhand at thanksgiving) so hopefully! I'm so sick of trying to wind up yarn by hand, I get it tangled every single time.

The only gift I have left to finish is my hemlock ring, I'm going to strangle myself with it I think.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I told my sister in law about the knitpicks wish list thing and sent her a link to it and basically asked for a swift and ballwinder. They have more money than me and a history of spending too much on gifts (got me a video ipod WAY out of the blue one year, just because I mentioned my second gen one was kinda old offhand at thanksgiving) so hopefully! I'm so sick of trying to wind up yarn by hand, I get it tangled every single time.

If you don't get the winder you could always try a nostepinne! I made mine out of a paper towel tube and now I wind using that, with the yarn put over two chair backs. I could never wind balls by hand without it ending up all snarled in the middle either, but this thing makes it ridiculously easy.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
Hiii. I'm new to knitting and so far I'm still awful at it, but not as much as before. I decided to step outside my comfort zone of LONG, KNIT-STITCH ONLY RECTANGLE SCARVES and try...the same but throw some perling in there to make a wide ribbed scarf.

Like this:

EXCEPT mine is looking mad rondo (12-14 rows in):

Congrats to me for making what looks like a bow. gently caress. :byodame:

Is any of this normal? I checked my gauge, and I...think I'm perling right? I'm also using crap yarn because I'd rather do it up cheap first, considering I'm still improving. Maybe once it's a full scarf it'll look decent, but until then, uh...a little guidance, please. :downs:

Pattern:
Cast on 26
R1: P2, K6; repeat, P last 2
R2: K2, P6; repeat, K last 2
R3-12: R1 and R2 repeated

Yargh fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 22, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Yargh posted:

Hiii. I'm new to knitting and so far I'm still awful at it, but not as much as before. I decided to step outside my comfort zone of LONG, KNIT-STITCH ONLY RECTANGLE SCARVES and try...the same but throw some perling in there to make a wide ribbed scarf.

Like this:

Is any of this normal? I checked my gauge, and I...think I'm perling right? I'm also using crap yarn because I'd rather do it up cheap first, considering I'm still improving. Maybe once it's a full scarf it'll look decent, but until then, uh...a little guidance, please. :downs:

Pattern:
Cast on 26

Whoa! It kinda looks cool but something is definitely not quite right. It actually looks like you're twisting the whole thing around when you go to purl or...something.

When you have just knit a stitch and need to switch to purling a stitch, you bring the yarn between the needles to the front...are you doing that?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Yargh posted:

Like this:

Pattern:
Cast on 26

I think you're moving your yarn wrong between purl and knit stitches. I had the same problem the first time I did basketweave stitch.
When swapping from knit to purl and vice versa, you need to move your yarn from front to back (or back to front) through the middle of your work- the gap between your needles.
This is the diagram for going from knit to purl. Go the opposite way when you go from purl to knit. Always through the middle.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Fionnoulla posted:

.....and a pattern for slippers from my mother. I could be wrong, but I'm betting the slipper pattern is so that I can use it to make her some (I'm so not wrong).

Last year I got 2 great knitting books, 2 skeins of Skacel Merino lace in great colors, 2 different sized Addi Lace needles. AND two skeins of really nice alpaca with "FOR A SCARF FOR MOM" written on the labels. Luckily, I had it done in time for her birthday at the end of January. I feel it was a decent "trade".

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Yargh posted:

Oh God :gonk:

Yeah, I agree with madlilnerd. I think you're twisting your yarn the wrong way between knits and purls.

And Christmas presents? Every year one of my Aunts picks up random balls of yarn for me as a present. They've ranged from random goodwill wool older than me, to fancy sock yarn, to cheap dollar store fun fur.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

hollaback grandma posted:

I'm kind of hoping that my MIL will get me some knitting-related paraphernalia since she knows I like knitting, but then again she's not the best at gift giving, so we'll see. I did buy her some really nice sock yarn (can't remember the brand but it was $17.50 for a skein that would make a pair of socks :gonk: ) and a book on making socks (Two at a Time Socks). I was going to make a bunch of stuff for other people for Christmas but I got overwhelmed and only ended up making a couple things. Next year, I need to start in June or July instead of November. Ugh. Either that, or just make things for people for their birthdays, instead of making a whole bunch of things at once for one holiday.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
:aaaaa: Thank you all so much!
I was purling wrong; I wasn't moving my yarn and for some reason I was bringing the yarn around the needle in the wrong direction. HURF.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Edit: Nevermind my question.

But yeah, my purling was pretty terrible at first, too, no worries, I can't even figure out how you got them there, though, hahah.

Robin Sparkles fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 23, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
One more row and the cast off for my blanket. This is REALLY coming in under the wire, but I'm determined to block it. At least a little.

I started it November 30 and took at least a week off knitting it...so I'm pretty impressed with myself there!

God I hope it isn't still wet when I go to wrap it up.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
I'm using silver's sock class to make a sock (maybe two, we'll see how it goes), but my fingers are KILLING ME. What do you guys do to stop this?

Dyrim
Aug 2, 2005

Damned disreputable.

Robin Sparkles posted:

I'm using silver's sock class to make a sock (maybe two, we'll see how it goes), but my fingers are KILLING ME. What do you guys do to stop this?

I've found it to be like playing the guitar--you start to develop callouses very quickly, especially if you're using sharp needles.

Speaking of sharp needles, I've found the Knitpicks Zephyr set (the clear acrylic) to be really difficult to use. The clear plastic actually makes it harder to see what you're doing with the needle, the joins like to come unscrewed--even when I've used the little tightener--and halfway through my neckwarmer project, my size four snapped in half. I had to run out to my LYS and get a new set of circs. They set me up with some Addi turbos, and now I'm in love.

I can't have been that rough on the acrylics, since I was using Noro Silk Garden yarn. If I'm too rough with that, it comes apart quite easily.

Anyway, I've long since finished that neckwarmer and completed a second. I also knit my first hat and gave it to a co-worker who helped me pick out the yarn. Now I just need to finish my Giants-themed scarf for my brother-in-law.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Scarf progress! I was too busy with school to finish them, so they're all half done and everyone gets to see the progress tonight when we do prezzies.

For Dad (Noro Silk Garden)

For Mom (Filtes King Extra Merino)

For my little sister (old pic, it's twice this length now) (Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
So, for Christmas I got 2 balls of Noro Silk Garden, in shade 8 (a sort of oceany mix of greens and blues).

I don't need a hat, gloves or scarf. I don't wear wrist or legwarmers.

What am I supposed to do with it?

Edit: I think I'll do this but larger to make a cushion cover.

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 25, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

So, for Christmas I got 2 balls of Noro Silk Garden, in shade 8 (a sort of oceany mix of greens and blues).

I don't need a hat, gloves or scarf. I don't wear wrist or legwarmers.

What am I supposed to do with it?

Edit: I think I'll do this but larger to make a cushion cover.

You could post pictures for me to drool over. :smith:

Now I have to sit here and not blow all of my christmas money on Noro Silk Garden.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wandering Knitter posted:

You could post pictures for me to drool over. :smith:

Now I have to sit here and not blow all of my christmas money on Noro Silk Garden.

:ssh: Psst... I know this is blasphemy, but I don't know what to do with it (don't really like the colour either) and really get the feeling that my mum bought it to make something for her because it's her favourite colours.

Perhaps we could work out some kind of stash swap?

Although I really don't want to upset my mum. I'm poor so I live with my parents, and she's been very understanding and given me a break on my rent recently. I already feel terrible today because she also gave me this gift-set of soap I'm going to have an allergic reaction to and I just stared at it and mumbled whilst she pointed out how nice the box it came in was {it's not my taste at all}.

This is why I hate Christmas. I gave my dad a freaking IOU for a jumper, and a tube of face cream. I'm a horrible person.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

Perhaps we could work out some kind of stash swap?

:ninja: Hit me up a PM or on AIM if you want to work something out. I also trade in plushie kittens and bunnies!

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury
I've started up knitting again, finishing up two scarves that I've planned out. One is just a basic k2,p2 because I wanted to switch from English to Continental knitting. I figure the easier it is the easier it will be to learn, but nope! The switch is pretty hard and I'm running into a bunch of problems that I can't seem to quite handle, so anyone who has tips for someone learning Continental, throw them my way!

My first problem was tension with my left hand. I've tried a bunch of different ways to hold the yarn, but I think I've finally settled on this method. Tension problems created two different scenarios. One being that if the tension was too lose, the string often slipped from my index finger when purling and sometimes even a regular knit. The second was that there was too much tension and the yarn couldn't feed easily.

That lead into me then not knowing what to do in order to make the stitches on the left needle continue to move up to the top and the stitches on the right to steadily move back down.

The second problem I only noticed after an hour of knitting. Background on my dumb hands first though, my fingers tend to do that thing where they lock at the joints really easily (amusing and annoying). Therefore, I catch my middle finger and ring finger locking up in the air, leaving my thumb, index, and pinky to do all the holding. This eventually causes a lot of aching in my middle and ring finger, so I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing with them to help out my knitting (and how they might have something to do with the awkward stitch movement).

TLDR: Continental knitting is kicking my rear, help!

Edit: I've also been reading/watching a bunch of online videos through google search, so if anyone has anything specific that they think is worthwhile, please link it and let me know. I'm sure it'll be an asset to everyone still learning.

Erinyes fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 26, 2009

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
My yarn-snob mother gave me four skeins of Berroco Ultra Alpaca for Christmas. Last month I knitted and felted a hat for my boyfriend out of scraps of Ultra Alpaca my mom had left over from a baby sweater and I was seriously in ecstasy the whole time. It's so so so soft and nice, and it felted beautifully, and boyfriend was so happy with the hat that he evidently sleeps in it.

So now I have all this lovely yarn and no loving clue what to make with it. Four skeins is enough for more hats than I have friends, I've already made scarves for everyone I know, and there's no way I have the patience for a sweater or anything.

I'd like to make some little stuffed bears or something but I don't have a whole lot of faith in my shaping abilities. Anyone have a super easy pattern for a cushy knit animal I could make out of this stuff? I know some little kids who would adore a snuggly animal.

No choke-able parts, if possible -- one of the kids is 2 and one is like three days old.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Holy poo poo you guys, I hit the goddamn knitting present lottery yesterday. I got the swift and ballwinder I asked for, and an EZ video and a knitting calender with some really cute patterns, and then -

see, my SIL is one of 'those people' who start a new hobby and spend a gagillio dollars on stuff for it before they even figure out if they like it or not. I guess she finally decided she isn't really a knitter and gave me eleven skeins of sock yarn - 3 from the rockin sock club, a bunch of cherry tree hill, and a bunch of other stuff I'm not familiar with, plus one skein of koigu (er? Maybe I can make a one legged friend and knit them a sock) and four skeins of some really nice cotton/tencel and...

I mean, holy poo poo is all. I'm kinda embarrassed at how much stuff I got yesterday.

Those french press slippers were a big hit, too - and she didn't even realize I had made them myself until I said I was making myself a pair too.

Of course I had to temper all this by slipping and falling down an entire flight of stairs. At least they were carpeted.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I got a knitting calendar too, from my mum! It's got some really cute patterns on it, so it's definitely going to be a keeper! I also got a knitting needle holder/case thing and some wool boxes - you just pull the yarn you are using through the hole to keep it from tangling. No wool this year though, which is good cos I'm very slow but keep buying my self stuff in pretty colours...

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

My yarn-snob mother gave me four skeins of Berroco Ultra Alpaca for Christmas.

I got three skeins of the same yarn yesterday! Can't wait to make this with them (well, actually, I can wait, I have to finish my gloves first).

Anyway, Kate seems pretty easy, and you can just ignore the stripes if you're only using the ultra alpaca. It might be a little bigger than you wanted, though.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
My grandma gave me this;

A shitload of old yarn she never used, and a shitload of needles, some old, some new. One of those pairs light up! I freaked out, haha, they are so cool.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
I've got to gather up all of my knitting loot for a picture soon. My parents did GOOD. They ordered all the sock yarn I knew about, the blocking wires, then surprised me with two skeins of Malabrigo laceweight and rosewood dpns. I was all eeeeeeeee

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Holy poo poo. I've seen people use swifts and ballwinders before, obviously - well, I've had it done for me at the yarn store, but I never realized it was FUN. Wheeeeeeeeeeee.

Ok maybe I'm easily amused.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Holy poo poo. I've seen people use swifts and ballwinders before, obviously - well, I've had it done for me at the yarn store, but I never realized it was FUN. Wheeeeeeeeeeee.

Isn't it? I can't wait for knitting circle on Monday so I can borrow my friend's baller and wind up two skeins of Silk Garden Sock :circlefap:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

At my old yarn store (before it closed :smith:) the owner had two little daughters who'd fight over who got to wind up the customer's yarn. I always bought two balls of yarn just so they could share.

I didn't get anything knitted related for Christmas, but I have a *big* project planned and I'm trying to dig up the courage to buy three "monster" balls of yarn that are like 1900 yards or something crazy like that. I'm trying to find a picture online but I think it only exists in AC Moore stores.

And the bunnies I knitted everyone for Christmas?

They got a "Meh :geno:" from the family.

I don't think I'll be knitting gifts next year. :smithicide:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

At my old yarn store (before it closed :smith:) the owner had two little daughters who'd fight over who got to wind up the customer's yarn. I always bought two balls of yarn just so they could share.

I didn't get anything knitted related for Christmas, but I have a *big* project planned and I'm trying to dig up the courage to buy three "monster" balls of yarn that are like 1900 yards or something crazy like that. I'm trying to find a picture online but I think it only exists in AC Moore stores.

And the bunnies I knitted everyone for Christmas?

They got a "Meh :geno:" from the family.

I don't think I'll be knitting gifts next year. :smithicide:

Man what the hell. Ingrates! Anyone who doesn't appreciate someone willing to take time to make something for them with their own two hands doesn't deserve a present.

Ooh, what are you planning? A blanket? Shawl? Life size stuffed German Shephard?

Edit: I've wound up six balls already. Whooooosh.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Man what the hell. Ingrates! Anyone who doesn't appreciate someone willing to take time to make something for them with their own two hands doesn't deserve a present.

This is the fifth year I've knitted gifts for people, and the 3rd where I've just made lots of one type of item but each one is personalized. Maybe they're sick of getting random plushie creatures.

I honestly got more praise and thanks over the oreo truffles I made for the party than the gifts I gave out. Maybe I'll just give that out next year.

Ooh, what are you planning? A blanket? Shawl? Life size stuffed German Shephard?

I'm working on a prototype toy right now, and if it all goes well I'll be sure to post about it. :ssh:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

This is the fifth year I've knitted gifts for people, and the 3rd where I've just made lots of one type of item but each one is personalized. Maybe they're sick of getting random plushie creatures.

I honestly got more praise and thanks over the oreo truffles I made for the party than the gifts I gave out. Maybe I'll just give that out next year.

I'm working on a prototype toy right now, and if it all goes well I'll be sure to post about it. :ssh:

Ahh. Well, still it's pretty rude. I agree, make them food next time and knit something nice for yourself. :) I'm still afraid of those oreo things - is the texture inside a little gritty? I can't imagine it not being gritty but everyone seems to like them so much.

Yay toys! I need to start knitting toys. My roommate made her friends a knitted tardis (holy poo poo it ended up MASSIVE) and a little knitted Dr Who and some knitted brain slugs from Futurama and they were all so cute. I'm thinking about starting with The Deadliest Crab.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Dude, I wound my yarn on a winder for the first time last week and my yarn looks awful. It's all hosed up and tangled :(((

Suggestions on how to not do it again?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

Dude, I wound my yarn on a winder for the first time last week and my yarn looks awful. It's all hosed up and tangled :(((

Did you use a swift to hold the yarn up while doing it?

I'm obviously a huge novice but I think even tention and speed is important. Beyond that and getting the first yard or two on right and I think you're golden.

Now watch me prove myself wrong...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

Yarn could have gotten tangled up in the gears, and sometimes non-wools just don't wind up right.