Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
For me there was no adjustment period, the first time I put them in my goalie skates felt perfect and I had no problems at all. They worked so well I went out and got a second set for my brand new vector player skates with less then 3 hours played on them, they too felt perfect right after. I have never tried superfeet but thanks to the shock doctors I may never have to. :D I recommend them to anyone looking at insoles for skates/rollerblades, speaking of which I should grab another set for my K2s :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How much did they run you? I honestly haven't ever looked at prices.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

How much did they run you? I honestly haven't ever looked at prices.

I picked up mine for $23, but they should cost between $18-$23 US depending on where you buy them.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok, read through a lot of the thread and I am going to post my e/n story. Sorry for the length.

I play floor hockey and just started this year (as goalie).

The surface is kind of plasticky material. We play with hard plastic balls. I have 'equipment' which is pretty much going the ultra cheap route: a Baseball glove, baseball catcher chest protector, cheap official replica helmet, a used stick, knee and elbow pads. I borrow a blocker from one of the guys on my team and the facility provides leg pads.

All of the leg pads are 32", I'm 5'4". They come up about to just about the top of my thighs.

The main problems I can identify with my play is that I don't follow the ball with my eyes and while I can block most stuff that is between my knees and my shoulders, if its rolling on the ground towards my fivehole its probably gonna go in. For some insane loving reason I cannot stop myself from dropping down to my right knee thus letting the ball in through the space underneath that knee. Recently, I've had a little success with consciously putting the SHAFT of my stick on the ground in front- but that's a pretty lovely idea too.

Watching the videos in the OP isn't all that relevant, since there's not much sliding I can do. Although it really is helpful because if I am going to drop to that knee, I should at the very least keep the blade of my stick out in front.

Any suggestions beyond "stop doing that" ?

Is it at all worth it to buy my own leg pads other than for the fact that I don't have to worry about everyone else sweating into them, and I guess possibly modding the insides with plastic to slide better?

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

El Mariachi posted:

The main problems I can identify with my play is that I don't follow the ball with my eyes and while I can block most stuff that is between my knees and my shoulders, if its rolling on the ground towards my fivehole its probably gonna go in. For some insane loving reason I cannot stop myself from dropping down to my right knee thus letting the ball in through the space underneath that knee. Recently, I've had a little success with consciously putting the SHAFT of my stick on the ground in front- but that's a pretty lovely idea too.

Watching the videos in the OP isn't all that relevant, since there's not much sliding I can do. Although it really is helpful because if I am going to drop to that knee, I should at the very least keep the blade of my stick out in front.

When I was a kid in the early-mid 90s, before the butterfly was really established, this is exactly what some of the goalie coaches told my goalies to do. They called it "paddle down". I have no idea what it was supposed to be used for, but it would seem to be part of the stand up style.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Had the last session with Zach before the tournament on Friday. Of course I get hit hard with the flu yesterday but still managed to get some good work in. It was well worth my time and money and hopefully I'm not too sick come Friday night.

Here's the video, the most entertaining of the lot.

http://vimeo.com/4519634

titanium fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 7, 2009

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Aw snap finally got pictures of me playing. From Sundays roller hockey win:

Dunno what the hell I'm doing here.. suppose this is before the game started:

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

You can see me here in my natural habitat, legs open ready for the puck to go between my legs..

Once again.. legs open.. man I am so good at that.

Whats this epic save?!? Oh no.. my water bottle just blew up and I'm mopping up water.. arg.

Seeing pictures of myself play is interesting.. as this is the first time. Sorry they are a little blurry.. the guy was on the top row of the bleachers. I played well that game and we won 5-3.. not bad for a brand new team. I was yelling this entire game, nothing in particular.. but I find it really helps the moral of the team if someone is just screaming. Usually a "Take the puck, go go go!" works pretty well.. and of course telling people when a man is on.

Teal jerseys... yeah..

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So in one day and 2 games, I sustained a goose egg on my shoulder, a hard shot to the face that dropped me to my knees, another bruise on the same shoulder, and a bruised coccyx bone. If any other activity left me in this sort of shape I would naturally be saying "gently caress that." Instead of that however, I'm sitting with an icepack on my rear end and excited to be playing again tomorrow morning.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My rear end hurts too.. after the game I plopped down on the cement floor from exhaustion.. and apparently.. hurt my rear end. Went up my back and down my right leg..

I have never limped more in my life since I started playing hockey.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Minister Robathan posted:

When I was a kid in the early-mid 90s, before the butterfly was really established, this is exactly what some of the goalie coaches told my goalies to do. They called it "paddle down". I have no idea what it was supposed to be used for, but it would seem to be part of the stand up style.

Paddle down isn't meant for stand up, not at all in fact, it's meant for in close plays, usually scrums where you're trying to take away as much of the bottom of the net as you can and you aren't worried about the puck getting any height. It's not meant as a style of save in that if a puck is being shot from the blue line you wouldn't paddle down to save it.

Not to sound snarky but I'm curious how you managed to think it was meant for a stand up style of play, I mean what would you do, bend your back, lean down, and essentially strike a yoga pose?

Edit: I guess "stand up" goalies can use it, but they'd use it the exact same way a butterfly goalie would, so it'd kind of a moot point.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 7, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Deer_fire posted:

Paddle down isn't meant for stand up, not at all in fact, it's meant for in close plays, usually scrums where you're trying to take away as much of the bottom of the net as you can and you aren't worried about the puck getting any height. It's not meant as a style of save in that if a puck is being shot from the blue line you wouldn't paddle down to save it.

Not to sound snarky but I'm curious how you managed to think it was meant for a stand up style of play, I mean what would you do, bend your back, lean down, and essentially strike a yoga pose?

Edit: I guess "stand up" goalies can use it, but they'd use it the exact same way a butterfly goalie would, so it'd kind of a moot point.

There was a period of time in the early 90s, when paddle down became the big thing in goal tending. It was in the period between the transition from standup to butterfly oriented goaltending and while it can be a good save selection, it's hard to build your whole game around it. I guess heavy use of the paddle down is more a trait of hybrid goalies than anything, I use it quite frequently, but mostly on plays in tight or when I really want to make sure that I have my 5-hole covered.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
News: Played this morning in spite of the bruised tailbone.
Views: That was a mistake. :( You wouldn't think that the coccyx is used much in goaltending, but drat did I ever feel it. There was not a single push that I made with my skates where I didn't feel pain. That translated into making unconscious changes to my stance and pursuit, which in turn translated into a crappy ice time.

Just like so many other pieces of the body, you really don't know how much it's used until you hurt it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

titanium posted:

whaaaaa?

You should take some shots. Your teammates should know to exercise your legs and corners but not have a hardest slapshot comp.

Can you tell them? Because everyone just tees off.

I dunno, it doesn't effect me at all - I just stretch and watch the other team's shooters.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Aniki posted:

There was a period of time in the early 90s, when paddle down became the big thing in goal tending. It was in the period between the transition from standup to butterfly oriented goaltending and while it can be a good save selection, it's hard to build your whole game around it. I guess heavy use of the paddle down is more a trait of hybrid goalies than anything, I use it quite frequently, but mostly on plays in tight or when I really want to make sure that I have my 5-hole covered.

Explained myself badly, but this is more like what I was trying to say.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I finally put the Shock Doctor insoles into my skates today. It is going to take a little getting used to, but they feel more comfortable than the lovely Bauer insoles. However, I think that I'll need to change how I tighten my skates a bit, but I think they should be an improvement. They still feel nowhere near as good as the Graf's, but I should get an idea of how much they help when I play tonight.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Aniki posted:

I keep my paddle down probably a lot more than I really should, although I'm a self-admitted hybrid type goalie. I don't think I've ever played a full butterfly. I like using my paddle alot, I feel like I can redirect the shot a lot better (at least to my left).

titanium, this last video is the first one I completely watch, and I noticed you're a right glove. Are you left handed? I am, and I've always battled with the idea I'd be better off being a full right, but I don't want to buy the glove/blocker/stick if it doesn't work. My argument (with myself) for it is that I'm a lefty, and I normally have the glove on my right hand for baseball, so this should be no different. But with my left hand being dominant, I wonder if it's actually more benificial to keep the glove on my left.

I've debated this since I started playing goal, probably 15-20 years ago.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

titanium, this last video is the first one I completely watch, and I noticed you're a right glove. Are you left handed? I am, and I've always battled with the idea I'd be better off being a full right, but I don't want to buy the glove/blocker/stick if it doesn't work. My argument (with myself) for it is that I'm a lefty, and I normally have the glove on my right hand for baseball, so this should be no different. But with my left hand being dominant, I wonder if it's actually more benificial to keep the glove on my left.

I've debated this since I started playing goal, probably 15-20 years ago.

This is exactly how I am down to the last detail. I ended up trying full right a few years ago (7-8?) but since I was so used to having the glove in my left hand several years previous, it just didn't seem right correct. I'm pretty sure if you try switching by maybe borrowing a full right's equipment, you'll find the same results I did, but it was fun to at least experiment; I'm sure I could probably get used to it, but I'm a left shot anyway so it doesn't make too much sense in my book to switch completely.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
We beat the #1 team in our league last night :cool:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

This is exactly how I am down to the last detail. I ended up trying full right a few years ago (7-8?) but since I was so used to having the glove in my left hand several years previous, it just didn't seem right correct. I'm pretty sure if you try switching by maybe borrowing a full right's equipment, you'll find the same results I did, but it was fun to at least experiment; I'm sure I could probably get used to it, but I'm a left shot anyway so it doesn't make too much sense in my book to switch completely.

Well thats the thing too with me, I'm a right shot when I play out too. It all makes sense, I just don't wanna waste the money. I might have to go find some used gear and try it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Lefty talk

I am in the same boat as you.. I am left handed, but I wear a baseball glove on my right. I do mostly everything right handed except for write and eat... and play goalie. The only reason I actually play full-right is because I injured my right shoulder and it hurt to hold the stick in my right hand, so I started playing full-right.

I find playing full-right throws people off a little bit.. I have a very nice poke check because of this. I usually poke at the persons stick instead of at the puck.. messes people up every time.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I dunno, I figured the justification for having the glove on the non-dominant hand was that it takes more power and coordination to work the stick. That, and, those who have played baseball already have a preference for the glove being there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Playing on olympic ice next week (and for the forseeable future). It'll be curious to see if it affects me in any way. I think my angles should be pretty similar. It'll probably just give the shooters more time and space to make plays.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

Martytoof posted:

Playing on olympic ice next week (and for the forseeable future). It'll be curious to see if it affects me in any way. I think my angles should be pretty similar. It'll probably just give the shooters more time and space to make plays.

One thing to watch for if you are playing against good shooters, your angle on far side pipe shots will prob be different.

The first thing I do when shooting on a goalie who isn't used to Olympic Ice is to (as a RH) swing out on the left wing side, close to the end boards, and then come back in on net, and try to pick the far to corner. For some reason goalies (that I've shot on) tend to overcompensate on their short side in that situation.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zinc. posted:

swing out on the left wing side, close to the end boards, and then come back in on net, and try to pick the far to corner. For some reason goalies (that I've shot on) tend to overcompensate on their short side in that situation.

I just ran through it in my head and I probably would overcompensate there too. Good tip, thanks!

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

Martytoof posted:

I just ran through it in my head and I probably would overcompensate there too. Good tip, thanks!

I feel dirty sharing my shooting secrets with you crazies.

Zinc. fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 8, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

This really depends on what you do to to reference yourself on the ice. Try to use the dots since the lines will mess you up. Dont get lost behind the net and remember people will have a lot more speed coming out from behind since there's more space to gain it.

My first tournament game is tonight and I'm starting to break free from this flu. God I hope my endurance and mind is there.

titanium fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 8, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zinc. posted:

I feel dirty sharing my shooting secrets with you crazies.

If it makes you feel better, telling me how to be a better goalie and me actually using that to be a better goalie are two completely different things :haw:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I hate when you have time to kill before you play.... maybe I should just go hang at the rink.. uhg.

P.S. Ice hockey is expensive.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got a chance to get out on the ice last night and try out the new insoles. My initial impression is that they help reduce my foot pain, but they are not a panacea for lovely skates. I also felt like I was getting a little more power with my pushes, but it's a little difficult to say how much of that was the insoles and how much of that was having freshly sharpened skates. I have a skate at 6 am tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get a better idea on how much the Shock Doctor insoles help after a second skate.

With that being said, I played lovely last night. We didn't have a lot of people, so we kept on moving the nets together until we basically turned it into a 3 on 3 rink. I should have played better, but I just seemed to be out of it. I've also figured out that I really hate loose pads, I left the bootstraps on my Vamps looser than I normally do and while I got very good rotation, I just hate the feeling of having my legpads "float" on my legs. I know some people like this kind of setup, but it just felt like I didn't have any control of my pads.

Also, I've been collecting water bottles lately. It started off with me buying a bottle with a long nozzle at the hockey shop, then I got a free Itech water bottle and now I've bought a Gatorade water bottle and some sort of wide mouthed water bottle that people over GSBB seem to obsess over. Now I guess that I need to pick up the water bottle with a huge straw sticking out of it to complete my collection. I could do a write up of the pros and cons of all the bottles, but it seems kind of pointless since they all generally work.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Polish posted:

P.S. Ice hockey is expensive.

Because its the only way to play :smug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have five Powerade bottles. I walked into the dressing room a year or so ago and found that some coach had left one of those sixpack carriers there. I took them to the rink guy in case the coach showed up or something and he told me just to throw them out for some reason.

I threw them out allright.

Out into my bag. A few dishwasher cycles later, six awesome powerade bottles. Which are actually not that awesome. And they always close at the worst possible time. In fact you could say that I would probably have been better off spending $10 on a really really nice water bottle and finding these lovely powerade bottles might just be holding my game back! <:mad:>

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I nabbed a sixpack and a big 5 gallon container like that back in college. The rugby team left them outside my dorm (they practiced on the field behind it) so I took that poo poo. 10 years later all six bottles are all cracked or lost from sitting on top of nets and taking bottle poppers, forgetting them, or smashing the nozzles on whatever surface I was on. The jug finally got a crack in it a year or two ago.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Some guys I play with have these gatorade bottles that don't had a cap on the top but they only let water out when you squeeze them. They're pretty awesome as far as bottles go.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

The Mandingo posted:

Some guys I play with have these gatorade bottles that don't had a cap on the top but they only let water out when you squeeze them. They're pretty awesome as far as bottles go.

You can get those for 2-3 dollars depending on the store. I have one of those, but I'm still afraid to pack it in my bag, since I figure it will be knocked around enough that it will leak on the way to the rink. Then again, I don't know why I am worried about my hockey clothes and pads getting covered in water on the way to the rink.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh man I hate my bottles. They have the little push top caps and they're ALWAYS doing the opposite of what I need them to.

Sitting on top of the net? Cap somehow pops up and floods my back drip by drip without me realizing it.

Exhausted after a four minute shot-on-goal fest? Cap seems to have come down and now I have to take my glove off to open it again, or try to wedge the lip of the cap against my cage bars trying to pry it open like some kind of primitive monkey opening a sardine can.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Aniki posted:

You can get those for 2-3 dollars depending on the store. I have one of those, but I'm still afraid to pack it in my bag, since I figure it will be knocked around enough that it will leak on the way to the rink. Then again, I don't know why I am worried about my hockey clothes and pads getting covered in water on the way to the rink.

Fill it at the rink ?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

Fill it at the rink ?

Somehow I've never been able to bring myself to do this after I drank out of a water fountain at a rink a few years ago and got super sick. Probably a coincidence but now it's one of those things I'm anal about. If I forget to fill my water bottle I'll usually just buy whatever's in the vending machine or worst case just go without (dumb, I know).

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Somehow I've never been able to bring myself to do this after I drank out of a water fountain at a rink a few years ago and got super sick. Probably a coincidence but now it's one of those things I'm anal about. If I forget to fill my water bottle I'll usually just buy whatever's in the vending machine or worst case just go without (dumb, I know).

I got really sick the last time I filled up my bottle at the rink too. They even had a water bottle filler hooked up to their water fountain. Granted that also could have been because I used my water bottle for too many days in a row without washing it, which I think led to me starting my collection. Plus, it's just easier to fill my water bottle at home, since it's one less thing I need to think about when I get to the rink.

One of the rinks I play at pays me $10, but it's a bitch to find rink employees after I play, so when I waited around for 10 minutes after I played on Thursday night and just said "gently caress it" and went home. Do other rinks that pay their goalies do this too? I don't think it's some elaborate scheme to save $10, but it's more carlessness/forgetfulness, which can be really annoying after a late skate when you have work in the morning.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

SO goalie monkey has the Itech 4.8's on clearance, and I can get a full right catcher and blocker for like $110. I'm going to try a couple local places (play it again, etc), see if I can find anything, then maybe order those if nothing else. Now I just gotta get down to the open skates once I do that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Getting up for early morning skates is tough, but it's nice to have a chance to work on drills. Anyway after two uses, the new insoles seem to be helping the bottom of my feet, which is pretty obvious, but with that pain out of the way it has helped me to realize that my skates are too narrow. That's not too unusual of a complaint for Bauer's, so I think I'm going to down to the hockey shop and try on a bunch of different skates. I know that the Graf's should work, but it's worth my time to check and see what else is out there.

Edit: They had a crappy selection, but of the skates they had in my size. The Bauer One 75s felt better than my current skates, but they were still narrow and were hurting the joint between the metatarsal and proximal phalange on the inside of my foot, though in fairness that area was already sore from playing earlier. I didn't have that issue with the RBK 3Ks, but their overall fit wasn't that great and they didn't have any better RBK goalie skates to try on. So the Grafs still seem to have the best fit and level of comfort for my feet. At least I've tried on what I can locally.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 10, 2009

• Locked thread