Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It's definitely a time saver and I wish I knew you could line things up like this years ago.

After we get our logo set up, make sure you have it sized how you want it on your photo, I'm sure this will be determined at some point.

Set yourself up an action and press record. From there you'll want to go to File>Place and then select your logo. This will load the logo as a separate layer into photoshop. Go to your layers palette and select both of the layers. Then go to Layer>Align then select bottom. Then go back into the align option and select right. This will put the logo in the bottom right corner no matter what the crop or orientation is on the image. Then flatten the image and stop your recording.

Now to automate it on your edited for web images you'll go to File>Scripts>Image Processor. Then you select the folder you have your images in and go to the bottom and select your logo action and you're done. I just ran it on over 200 Warped Tour photos and it saved me a ton of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Betty
Jul 30, 2008
This is my first ever attempt at processing some photos that I took last night in horrible lighting. I already know I did one thing wrong (shot in JPG instead of RAW), but tell me if there are any other glaring problems present that I need to address. Please.

Before.

Click here for the full 685x1024 image.

After.

Thoughts?

Edit: Guess I should say what I did. Used Photoshop to desaturate the harsh red going on, masked off and sharpened the guitarist, denoised/ despeckled, 25% blue filter

Black Betty fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 16, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Black Betty posted:

This is my first ever attempt at processing some photos that I took last night in horrible lighting. I already know I did one thing wrong (shot in JPG instead of RAW), but tell me if there are any other glaring problems present that I need to address. Please.

Before.

After.

Thoughts?

Edit: Guess I should say what I did. Used Photoshop to desaturate the harsh red going on, masked off and sharpened the guitarist, denoised/ despeckled, 25% blue filter

I don't think shooting raw is really going to help much with concert photos. You did a pretty good job cleaning it up, my only real recommendation would be to get the bands permission to use flash, then you can shoot with ISO 100 and knock down the lights to make your own lighting. Alternatively, get faster glass/full frame camera or convert to black and white.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

I don't think shooting raw is really going to help much with concert photos. You did a pretty good job cleaning it up, my only real recommendation would be to get the bands permission to use flash, then you can shoot with ISO 100 and knock down the lights to make your own lighting. Alternatively, get faster glass/full frame camera or convert to black and white.

A few thoughts on your comments.

Shooting raw will absolutely help. I can't tell you how often I play with the white balance on concert photos and that's just the simple benefit of shooting raw. The number of shots I've been able to "save" because I shot raw is uncountable. You should always be shooting raw at shows. You should always be shooting raw period.

Second. I'd wager it's not a band decision if flash is ok since I see a huge House of Blues banner in the background. Every House of Blues in existence has insane guidelines and will ask you to leave if you violate them, I've seen it happen. They make you sign their own photography waiver every single time you shoot. On top of that, their lighting blows at every one of them. I've shot at 4 now and they always suck.

Back to the photos. I for the life of me do not understand why people try to take photos shot under a red light and make them not look like they were shot under a red light. If you were at a show and watched it, that guy would like much closer to your unedited photo than he would your edited photo. I see the benefits of cleaning up over saturated light color, but I will never see the point in people trying to make someone's skin color back to normal when it didn't look that way live. Your unedited photo has way more contrast and is more appealing to the eye.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

rockcity posted:

A few thoughts on your comments.

Shooting raw will absolutely help. I can't tell you how often I play with the white balance on concert photos and that's just the simple benefit of shooting raw. The number of shots I've been able to "save" because I shot raw is uncountable. You should always be shooting raw at shows. You should always be shooting raw period.

Second. I'd wager it's not a band decision if flash is ok since I see a huge House of Blues banner in the background. Every House of Blues in existence has insane guidelines and will ask you to leave if you violate them, I've seen it happen. They make you sign their own photography waiver every single time you shoot. On top of that, their lighting blows at every one of them. I've shot at 4 now and they always suck.

Fair enough, however I don't think I've ever had a shot that couldn't be fixed by converting to black and white, and if you're shooting on a Rebel like me, you'd rather have 32 frames instead of the 4 or whatever before the buffer needs to clear. I shot raw one time, and while the buffer cleared I missed the bass player jumping off a drum kit. Never again, It just doesn't make sense to me when black and white is more than fine.

As for the House of Blues, I caught that too, it was more of a "general advice" when shooting concerts. Obviously there's exceptions, but more often then not you can get away with shooting flash on local/regional and lesser known national bands.

As for the "Keep him red", I agree with this, if you really don't like the way it looks try it in black and white.

Black Betty
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks guys, that really does help! I was intending on originally keeping them red but played around with taking it off so I could see the difference. He does look more 'normal' after the blue filter, but I can just as easily lose that and I'll still have the wash from the lighting, just not as harsh. I just can't get over how he looks so...jaundiced. I shot with a 50mm f1.8, for reference. And next time: RAW!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

AtomicManiac posted:

Fair enough, however I don't think I've ever had a shot that couldn't be fixed by converting to black and white, and if you're shooting on a Rebel like me, you'd rather have 32 frames instead of the 4 or whatever before the buffer needs to clear. I shot raw one time, and while the buffer cleared I missed the bass player jumping off a drum kit. Never again, It just doesn't make sense to me when black and white is more than fine.

As for the House of Blues, I caught that too, it was more of a "general advice" when shooting concerts. Obviously there's exceptions, but more often then not you can get away with shooting flash on local/regional and lesser known national bands.

As for the "Keep him red", I agree with this, if you really don't like the way it looks try it in black and white.

Converting to black and white doesn't fix it, it masks it. Anyone who has ever opened Photoshop is going to know the exact reason why that photo is black and white.

Edit: Also, RAW always. I haven't shot in jpeg in five years. I take it that you are using the pray and spray "method," not exactly what I would expect from the master of advice giving.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

AtomicManiac posted:

You should probably lurk and not offer advice on stuff like this till you know better, as both of these points are completely wrong.

Jpeg will not have enough data to shift WB to where it needs to be without a shitload of pixels clipping and losing color fidelity. If you are shooting in crappy or mixed colored lighting, always always always shoot raw. Flash photography for live bands is almost always a no-no as it looks better with the stage lighting and the musicians are already greasy and sweaty which on camera flash will exaggerate.

The first and easiest way to improve post work on live event photography is to shoot raw so you have more data to work with.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AtomicManiac posted:

I don't think shooting raw is really going to help much with concert photos.
I don't mean to be rude, but this is absolute madness.

AtomicManiac posted:

If you're shooting on a Rebel like me, you'd rather have 32 frames instead of the 4 or whatever before the buffer needs to clear. I shot raw one time, and while the buffer cleared I missed the bass player jumping off a drum kit. Never again, It just doesn't make sense to me when black and white is more than fine.
I shot with a 350D in RAW for over three years. The secret is to not take 1000 photos per gig - that's the spray and pray method. I'd hate to get home from a gig and have that many photos to sort through.

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 16, 2010

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

AtomicManiac posted:

I know reading can be difficult for you, so let me boil down what every one else is saying:

You don't know what you're talking about, and you're probably a moron as well

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Adobe has a release candidate for Lightroom 3.2 and ACR that seems to work well on my system. It adds support for some new cameras as well as new lenses and a few bug fixes.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

So I did a promo shoot for a band a few days ago, they've got a Gaslight Anthem type of theme going on, with more of a lean towards a gangster motif (The band's name is "The Fixed Fight"). At any rate, I want to take some of the individuals of them, give them an old-school feel, and then put them on a cork board. Kind of like a cork-board in a police station.

Am I going to get better results getting prints made myself and doing it in real life, or is there a good way to photo shop it without it looking cheesy and lovely?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
If you want it old school, I would go with the low-tech approach. It's most likely going to be faster than perfecting it in Photoshop too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Make sure you get them printed on matte paper to reduce any chance of glare. It'll probably give it more of an old-school vibe anyway.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Anyone tried Bibble?

Looks like a decent replacement for Lightroom if you're switching to linux from windows, which I am. So, anyone got some experience with this program? What did you make of it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Adobe Camera RAW 6.2 and LightRoom 3.2 are out.

edit: Release notes are here.

edit 2: Some noteworthy changes from the Release Candidates that I quickly spotted: EOS 60D support and an iPhone 4 lens correction profile.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 31, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Does LR3 still suck?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's your beef with it? I run 3.2 RC and like it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

evil_bunnY posted:

Slow as gently caress. I also seem to have a bug where it will randomly apply noise reduction and it's frustrating as gently caress. (have not updated to 3.2 tho)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
LR3 runs faster for me than LR2 does. I didn't buy noise ninja and now I don't have to.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LR3 runs great for me, but they did mention in the changelog...

quote:

Addressed performance issues that could occur while reviewing images in Loupe view

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Upgraded my Late 2007 Macbook to 4GB ram from 1GB ram. CS5 no longer locks up my computer.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

I tried LR3, but I didn't like the way it imported pictures. I don't remember exactly what was bad with it, but it was enough for me to get really frustrated about the whole thing. Plus IIRC it crashed my POS laptop several times, so I gave up on it.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

I tried LR3, but I didn't like the way it imported pictures. I don't remember exactly what was bad with it, but it was enough for me to get really frustrated about the whole thing. Plus IIRC it crashed my POS laptop several times, so I gave up on it.

It puts it into folders the are for each date, So photos from different dates will end up in a different place even if they are from the same shoot/same import. Its annoying for sure. I dont know if there is a way to change it.

It runs perfect on my machine though

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I think it had more to do with the actual import menu.

After booting it up again I'm not sure why I hated it, and it seems to run faster than LR2 does too, so I'm not sure why I hated it.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Good to know, now if I do that does it just dump it literally into one folder for every import, or does each import get its own folder?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You need to specify where you want each import. Or use tags.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
Sweeet they've added lens correction for the Nikkor 17-55!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Is there a way to stitch together RAW files so that I can edit a panorama as a whole? My attempts at using the same image processing on the individual images before stitching didn't turn out so well.

edit: Thanks for the tips, I figured things out.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 8, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't you just export them as layers then align them?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Does Photomerge work on raw? If not convert them straight to jpegs and then use photomerge.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
If you have a good idea of your end result it shouldn't be too hard to keep your settings consistent within layers. Generally I have everything grouped into either sky, land, shadows (or whatever separates your zones) and process each group of raws together that way since white balance and exposure shouldn't change too much between one highlight/shadow to the next. If you really need to you can process them as 16bit tiff files and stitch them like that.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

I am having a little problem here. I have deleted photos out of my lightroom library but they are still on my drive. How do I get rid of them for good?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

I am having a little problem here. I have deleted photos out of my lightroom library but they are still on my drive. How do I get rid of them for good?

there should be a dialog box that pops up that says delete masters from disk too? when you delete

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

there should be a dialog box that pops up that says delete masters from disk too? when you delete

Well, I deleted a whole folder at once from the 'catalog' so it didnt ask. It seems to have just removed it from the sidebar, not actually deleted it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How are the files distributed on your drive?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

How are the files distributed on your drive?

Im not sure. When I go to the actual location of the library there is just a Lightroom Library file. I can't go in and delete certain files.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Well, I deleted a whole folder at once from the 'catalog' so it didnt ask. It seems to have just removed it from the sidebar, not actually deleted it.

Did you delete a folder from the file tree view, or was it a collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bojanglesworth posted:

Im not sure.
You're hosed!

Bojanglesworth posted:

When I go to the actual location of the library there is just a Lightroom Library file. I can't go in and delete certain files.
Yes your library has nothing to do with the location of your DNG's. Do you really not know where the drat files are? Are you sure the files still exist?

• Locked thread