Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's the best way to insert a slideshow into a post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Nimrod posted:

So what would you guys recommend for a Wordpress framework? I've got a little CSS/HTML/PHP knowledge, so I don't mind if it's complex.
Is Genesis by Studio Press any good?

A lot of WordPress developers I know (including myself) really like Genesis. It's good, solid code.

If you're just learning though, you might just try modifying the default themes (Twenty Ten being easier to start with than Twenty Eleven).

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the best way to insert a slideshow into a post?

Use a plugin like NextGEN Gallery, http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nextgen-gallery/ and insert as a shortcode.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Alright, so Wordpress noob here, would appreciate a little help. I use the Arras Theme and need my blog to have a left column. Arras lets me add a column in its theme options BUT it automatically thins the width of the other column and fucks up with some of my plugins/formatting. How can I prevent this?
Thanks!

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Daynab posted:

Alright, so Wordpress noob here, would appreciate a little help. I use the Arras Theme and need my blog to have a left column. Arras lets me add a column in its theme options BUT it automatically thins the width of the other column and fucks up with some of my plugins/formatting. How can I prevent this?
Thanks!

You may need to tweak the CSS.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cocteau posted:

Use a plugin like NextGEN Gallery, http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nextgen-gallery/ and insert as a shortcode.

Interesting, and thanks again.

Off topic: does Tweet Blender update irregularly? It's been stuck on the same tweets for hours and I cannot figure out why.

Captain Corny
Dec 16, 2000

Abel Wingnut posted:

Interesting, and thanks again.

Off topic: does Tweet Blender update irregularly? It's been stuck on the same tweets for hours and I cannot figure out why.
I remember having the same problem some time ago. I think I solved it by setting the widget to update at page load, not after x seconds. See if that works.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I am the only person who despises NextGEN Gallery? It's such a kludge.

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

He that is without int among you, let him first cast a long

mcsuede posted:

I am the only person who despises NextGEN Gallery? It's such a kludge.

No, but could you point me towards something better?

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug

xpander posted:

Does anyone have any familiarity with WP e-commerce? I was asked to do a small freelance job, and the documentation was shockingly bad until just a little while ago - I think it was updated sometime between August and now. Anyway, I'm trying to strip some stuff out out of the default store page and make a few cosmetic changes, but I'm not actually sure about its template/code hierarchy. I just want to take the category widget out of the sidebar, and maybe do a couple other things. I'm lead to believe that products_page.php(inside the theme folder) is what loads at the default store view, but I'm making changes and nothing's happening.

I used to be one of the developers on it, but that was over a year ago now, so I have forgotten much of how it worked.

However, from memory, the category widget was loaded in using a plugin hook, I think it used (and probably still uses) a template file of its own.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Ok so I'm hacking up an existing theme and adding my own images but my images aren't showing up.

I've unploaded the images to my webhost through ftp and I've added them to the theme as it exists, but they're showing as broken links.

However if I visit the address of the image manually they show up fine.

Any ideas?

http://idtechego.com/

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

Opera Dragonfly can't find any image sources at all. How are you trying to insert the images? Code?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
From within the themes settings widgety thing.

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.
Hi all,

I've been working on a custom theme for my portfolio site, and I'm having a little trouble figuring out the function to display the featured images of posts in a specific category. I basically want four 300x220 areas that display the most recent posts' featured images. On mouseover, I also want the post title and excerpt to display in a static position on the left (highlighted in green in the wireframe).

The rest of the theme seems simple enough - I'm pretty comfortable with CSS and HTML - it's just this bit of PHP that I'm not too sure of.

Also, for the top and bottom images in the column, would I just float those above my header and footer images using absolute positioning?

Here's a marked up wireframe to give some clarity:

Thank you!

Gaff Tape fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 10, 2011

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

Gaff Tape posted:

On mouseover, I also want the post title and excerpt to display in a static position on the left (highlighted in green in the wireframe).

The rest of the theme seems simple enough - I'm pretty comfortable with CSS and HTML - it's just this bit of PHP that I'm not too sure of.

Sounds more like a job for Javascript. Are you familiar with that at all? Basically, what I would do is pass the post ID associated with the picture to a Javascript function on mouseover, use that id to pull the post info (through the power of Ajax), and then insert that info into your div.

I guess a really ugly way to do it would be to load up all of the possible info that could be displayed (so your 4 or however many titles and excerpts), hide all but one, and toggle the display based on which picture is selected (using Javascript, again).

I dunno, maybe someone else knows a better way.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

Gaff Tape posted:

Hi all,

I've been working on a custom theme for my portfolio site, and I'm having a little trouble figuring out the function to display the featured images of posts in a specific category. I basically want four 300x220 areas that display the most recent posts' featured images. On mouseover, I also want the post title and excerpt to display in a static position on the left (highlighted in green in the wireframe).

I haven't looked at the PHP needed for Wordpress, but I did a little mockup for displaying the post title and excerpt. My idea was: if you only have 4 post title/excerpts, you can load them all at the same time (I don't feel the need for Ajax here), then use CSS to hide/show them. No Javascript necessary, all pure CSS.

Demo: http://www.designerds.nl/support/gaff-tape-portfolio.html (works in pretty much every desktop browser except IE6 due to the "> child" selector used).

I think the CSS/HTML is self-explanatory, but if you want some more explanation, just let me know :)

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

Just checking in to see if I'm comitting crosslanguage horrors, or if there's simply a better way to do this.

I'd like to present information from some important pages on the front page, and this information will only be visible on hover() events bound to links.

So here I'm getting the information I want, and echoing a json-snippet into the page. This object is used by javascript/jQuery to insert the text into a div.

php:
<?
function delivers_page_excerpts_as_JSON() {
    ob_start();

$page1_excerpt = get_post_meta(get_page_by_title('page1')->ID, 'shorttext', true);
    $page2_excerpt = get_post_meta(get_page_by_title('page2')->ID, 'shorttext', true);

$banner_script = <<<EOD
<script style="text/javascript">
    main_js_object.page_excerpts = {
        "page1": "$page1_excerpt",
        "page2": "$page2_excerpt"
    };
</script>
EOD;

echo $banner_script;
    ob_end_flush();
}
?>
This is the js that displays text:
php:
<?
main_js_object.show_things = function (el) {
    var pop = jQuery('#thing-popup'); //this will be cached in an object when I'm sure this isn't a horrible way to do this.
    pop.text(main_js_object.page_excerpts[el.text()]).show();
}
?>

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005

Bastard posted:

I haven't looked at the PHP needed for Wordpress, but I did a little mockup for displaying the post title and excerpt. My idea was: if you only have 4 post title/excerpts, you can load them all at the same time (I don't feel the need for Ajax here), then use CSS to hide/show them. No Javascript necessary, all pure CSS.

Demo: http://www.designerds.nl/support/gaff-tape-portfolio.html (works in pretty much every desktop browser except IE6 due to the "> child" selector used).

I think the CSS/HTML is self-explanatory, but if you want some more explanation, just let me know :)

The CSS/HTML makes sense (thanks for that!), I'm just not sure what the PHP would be to get each of the four displayed posts' metadata into the div...

Not too hot with the language, but I would basically need something that knew what four posts were being displayed, and to pull specific information from specific posts - right?

Putting <?php the_excerpt(); ?> into a div isn't an issue, it's just getting the code to show the correct excerpt.

[Edit] - Is there a way using PHP to show a certain recent post (the 1st recent post, or the 3rd recent post, etc.)? If so that would do it. Thanks!

Gaff Tape fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 13, 2011

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

Gaff Tape posted:

The CSS/HTML makes sense (thanks for that!), I'm just not sure what the PHP would be to get each of the four displayed posts' metadata into the div...

Not too hot with the language, but I would basically need something that knew what four posts were being displayed, and to pull specific information from specific posts - right?

Putting <?php the_excerpt(); ?> into a div isn't an issue, it's just getting the code to show the correct excerpt.

Wordpress is having DNS issues so I can't check the documentation, but it's probably something like this (replace the loop on the page you want it on with this):

code:
<?php 
query_posts('category_name=your_category&showposts=4'); 
while (have_posts()) : the_post(); 
<li>
   <div class="description">
      <h2><?php the_title();?></h2>
      <p><?php the_excerpt();?></p>
   </div>
   <?php the_thumbnail();?>
</li>
<?php endwhile;?>

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
So all four posts' data is being queried, but the mouseover is what's controlling which one gets displayed? Sorry I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around this.

[Edit] - Scratch that, I got it working. Thanks again!

Gaff Tape fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 14, 2011

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
I working specifically with the theme, Fresh & Clean for starters, but every post on the main page cuts off at 30 words, followed by an ellipses. I took a look at the functions file and removed the piece that shortened the post to 30 words. Now the post ends at about 50 words with a bracketed ellipses. [...]

Basically, how can I get the whole post to show? I'm not seeing anything else in functions that would be limiting the post size. Is there some sort of default WP function that does this?

TYIA

JoeWindetc fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 14, 2011

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
When themes offer SEO what are they really offering? How do they do the SEO they claim to do?

Broccoli Must Die!
Aug 12, 2004

Meow.

JoeWindetc posted:

Basically, how can I get the whole post to show? I'm not seeing anything else in functions that would be limiting the post size. Is there some sort of default WP function that does this?

TYIA

In your main post template change

<?php the_excerpt(); ?>

to

<php the_content(); ?>

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

az jan jananam posted:

When themes offer SEO what are they really offering? How do they do the SEO they claim to do?

They're saying the theme code is compliant with on-page SEO best practices. Semantic code, etc. It's not always true, do due diligence, but it's not like it's hard to do either as WordPress core is very search friendly anyway.

Sometimes they're saying they have a custom backend for modifying your page titles and such but that's all best done in Yoast's WordPress SEO anyway.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mcsuede posted:

They're saying the theme code is compliant with on-page SEO best practices. Semantic code, etc. It's not always true, do due diligence, but it's not like it's hard to do either as WordPress core is very search friendly anyway.

Sometimes they're saying they have a custom backend for modifying your page titles and such but that's all best done in Yoast's WordPress SEO anyway.

How does Yoast's WordPress SEO compare to All in One SEO?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
A billion times better, one trillion times better if you have a functioning brain and can write your own descriptions.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Okay I'm having an issue trying to run a slider and a lazyload plugin.

Here's the deal: slides in the slider that aren't the first slide aren't showing their images, as the lazyloader is hiding them and then not showing them when that slide switches to active.

The slider is jquery and so was the lazyload plugin, so I switched to a mootools lazyload to see if that would solve it and I still had the issue.

Surely someone out there has a lazyload solution working on a WordPress install that also has a slider?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey guys, I am having issues getting my company logo to replace the template in my theme. I have replaced the file, but the logo is gigantic and needs to be resized. I've found this line of code in the style.css:

code:
.header-image #header #title-area {
	background: url(images/logo.png) left top no-repeat;

}
What do I need to do to reduce the size? Looking for 323w x 87h. I've done some googling, but am confusing myself with the order of how to enter the syntax.

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

edit: Got some outside help and it turned out it was the internal editor that wasn't taking the changes. Raw edit did it with background-size: 39%;

Thanks anywho!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 19, 2011

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
You always want to resize your media for the situation, not try to resize it with markup. Doing it through the editor is fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mcsuede posted:

You always want to resize your media for the situation, not try to resize it with markup. Doing it through the editor is fine.

Thanks, this was a temporary solution as I didn't have access to Illustrator. Paint won't do transparent backgrounds. :)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

This and similar designs were almost certainly designed with WordPress, right? I feel like I see a lot of layouts with similar overall structure, especially in the footer.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 20, 2011

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Abel Wingnut posted:

This and similar designs were almost certainly designed with WordPress, right? I feel like I see a lot of layouts with similar overall structure, especially in the footer.

Wordpress isn't a site designer. People make designs, and then convert those designs to Wordpress templates. Right now, this type of layout is popular, so people make a lot of Wordpress templates that look like it.

It's possible this site is Wordpress, but there's no evidence of it in the code. This is just design trend, so you'll see it everywhere.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
Hi all

I have a question on the mechanics of WP. To clarify: I have some WP experience, but still get confused when putting together the php in the backend. But onward:

I'm going to help out a friend who has this client, he's designing and I'm doing the backend. The client is going to use the page for uploading her portfolio, so that means new posts in a CMS, but the catch is the way it ends up on the page.

See, the client would like each new post be a picture the joins all the others on the front page. Like this:

and I have to find out how the hell that's going to happen.
I thought WP would be a good tool, but I'm seeing obstacles left and right and really need some qualified advice on this - hence this post.

The way I see the solution is to:

1 - blue: have each post like the blogpost.php code (can't remember the correct name in English - sorry) just go in a large div, which expands when new items are added. When defined the width and height for the post div it should just slide right into place.
2 - pink: Have categories that the posts could share (examples: painting, digital art, etc.). But this is a secondary thing.
3 - green: have other pages using the page.php go into the same div. But that may be impossible, and the design will just have to adhere the coding.

When viewing a single post:

Do any of you have experience with having posts as pictures instead of text? Is it even possible? Am I way in over my head, and should I just tell the client to pay for Cargo Collective and I could set that up?
And most of all, is there any other CMS you'd recommend for this sort of upload?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You'll want to have a look at this Post Thumbnails:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Thumbnails

Which can also work for pages.

I would also look at these plugins for Category Thumbnails/Images (not sure if this is what you want exactly)

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/category-images/
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/categoy-thumbnail-list/

Also, familiarize yourself with Wordpress's Loop and page templates. You'll want to create a new Page Template and set your home page as said template. Then, in the PHP of that template, add:

code:
<?php
query_posts('cat=1');
while (have_posts()) : the_post();
the_content();
endwhile;
?>
Where "query_posts('cat=1'); is the category of whatever posts you want to display.

Here is a good starter point for learning about templates:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Page_Templates

I would stick with Wordpress, but that is just my personal opinion. It can really do (pretty much) anything you need it to and turns out to be real simple for the end-user to use as well.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Gyshall posted:

Cool, helpful advice.

Wow, thanks Gyshall. Quick, easy to understand and thorough.
I think I might team up with a buddy still, but this is pretty much exactly what I thought of (with my WP-terminology-poor mind).

I'll post again when I'm further in my escapades. And thanks again man!

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
This question has probably come up before in this thread but it's 40 pages and who knows what new developments have appeared since the last time it was asked. So I'll dare ask again:

I'm working on setting up a personal website for portfolio and other professional development reasons. I want to create a custom design, but I neither have time nor enough interest in the back-end to code it from scratch. I can write code, and given a few nights of running through WordPress tutorials I could probably do a decent job at it, but honestly I just can't be bothered.

So, what's the best way to turn a PSD or equivalent to a WordPress theme? Googling shows me a bunch of automated systems that churn out a theme from a PSD, but I'm not sure how good that is. Does anyone know how this Divine Elemente Photoshop plugin is? Because that's exactly the level of detail I'm willing to go into with this.

Are any of these automated systems any good, or should I just find a human to make the theme from a PSD?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That won't happen. Your best bet is some sort of WYSIWYG editor like Artisteer, but I don't really like it and the final product looks like what you pay for (crap).

Although I typed all that before checking out that plugin. I have no idea how well that plugin will or will not work, no am I a graphic designer, but all the latest stuff I've been reading about Photoshop is that Fireworks is supposedly better for web design.

I'd also take a look at the plethora of pre-built Wordpress themes out there. Themeforest is a very good place to start.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Death by Cranes posted:

Do any of you have experience with having posts as pictures instead of text? Is it even possible? Am I way in over my head, and should I just tell the client to pay for Cargo Collective and I could set that up?
And most of all, is there any other CMS you'd recommend for this sort of upload?

I've never actually built a WordPress site like this, but I have used this theme, which does something similar: http://demo.graphpaperpress.com/mansion/

It's free so you could download it and look at how it works for some ideas, anyway.

Gyshall posted:

I'd also take a look at the plethora of pre-built Wordpress themes out there. Themeforest is a very good place to start.

Be wary of Themeforest... some of the themes are top-notch with great support, and some of them are kludgy with developers who abandoned their projects. I personally recommend going with an established theme dev company like StudioPress, WooThemes, Graph Paper Press, Gorilla Themes, Organic Themes, etc. Some of these companies offer free themes with support, but even if you pay for one, you're getting solid code and support for a website for under $100, and that's a steal.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Speaking of themes what's the best 'barebones' theme to build upon? To me it'd use full HTML 5, heavily resemble BoilerPlate, and implement 960gs. I'm sure there are other considerations that my amateurish mind doesn't know but it'd account for those too.

My last project featured Bones, which does some of this. However I really despised the guy's rendition of a 960 grid system.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 26, 2011

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
My friend made this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/html5-boilerplate/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Looks nice! I'd love to see a nice wordpress/h5bp/scss/compass distro.