Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Episode 1 wasn't great, but since then they have been on fire. I think the religion episode was the best so far.

Thanks for that, after the first one I almost gave up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Kangra posted:

I have a number of podcasts that are just 2-5 people talking, and I like to have them as background noise, but looking at my feed, it's mostly dudes. So I'm looking for more podcasts with female hosts. Any recommendations?

Would a podcast with a Women and a Man be ok?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Would a podcast with a Women and a Man be ok?

Sure, go ahead and recommend!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You Must Remember This- Karina Longworth is a good host. Informative/entertaining episodes on cinematic history, they had a solid Manson family series of eps.

I give it an occasional listen (the Manson eps are great). I find a different vibe between single-person shows (that typically are informative and I want to listen to more closely) and those that are more conversational, so I didn't mention those. Although for single-person podcasts hosted by women, Pheobe Judge's Criminal is simply fantastic. And I'm not even much of a fan of true crime/crime reporting.

Also, thanks to everyone else for the recs on all the other shows. I'm curious to give Bang On a shot since I'd also like to add more un-Americans to my listening.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any good true crime/mystery podcasts that focus on one case or story each episode? I've checked out a few, but none really grabbed me. My Favorite Murder spent like half the episode doing administrative stuff before talking about anything interesting, and Sword and Scale just annoyed the poo poo out of me.

Also looking for anything folklore related. "Sawbones but about old folk beliefs" would be ideal but I know that's a pretty narrow request.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lester Shy posted:

Any good true crime/mystery podcasts that focus on one case or story each episode? I've checked out a few, but none really grabbed me. My Favorite Murder spent like half the episode doing administrative stuff before talking about anything interesting, and Sword and Scale just annoyed the poo poo out of me.

Also looking for anything folklore related. "Sawbones but about old folk beliefs" would be ideal but I know that's a pretty narrow request.

Casefile is pretty good and sounds like what you want.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My go to are true crime garage and true crime guys.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I haven't listened to Casefile or True Crime Garage/Guys, will check them out.

This isn't one-case-one-episode format but I like "Detective". The first season at least (haven't got past that) is a Colorado Springs detective going through the types of murders that happen, their relative frequency, strategies for investigation, what he thinks makes a good detective, how things can go pear-shaped, etc. It's focused on the nuts and bolts of solving murders with related stories. I mean it is what it is, for better or worse -- it's not contemplative or accused-sympathetic in that NPR way, it's not accidentally-on-purpose getting the vapors like Sword and Scale. It's also not self-aggrandizing THIN BLUE LINE stuff, either.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

I just mentioned it in reference to female-hosted podcasts but I think it fits here too: Criminal is very to the point - most episodes are around 30 min. It has a more journalistic style than mystery storytelling, and some episodes are more tangential to the topic, but I think you'd find some you'd like.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I've just started listening to a few episodes of Last Podcast on the Left, and I've enjoyed some episodes, but I've also heard a few duds. Their episodes on the Kurt Cobain suicide was surprisingly level-headed, and their three episode arc on Carl Panzram was fascinating. I was looking forward to the Chris Benoit episode, but I thought it was pretty bad.

It's still three dudes yellin' when you get right down to it, but it is (from what I've heard) mostly well researched, and they don't fall into the "man this poo poo is so gnarly, what a badass!" schtick I was fearing it would be.

At least from where I'm at with it right now, it's a soft recommend. Cherry pick your topics and give it a shot if you haven't already.

My Favorite Murder wasn't what I was hoping it would be when I started it, but it's grown on me in a big way, and I really enjoy the hosts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DangerDummy! posted:

I've just started listening to a few episodes of Last Podcast on the Left, and I've enjoyed some episodes, but I've also heard a few duds. Their episodes on the Kurt Cobain suicide was surprisingly level-headed, and their three episode arc on Carl Panzram was fascinating. I was looking forward to the Chris Benoit episode, but I thought it was pretty bad.

It's still three dudes yellin' when you get right down to it, but it is (from what I've heard) mostly well researched, and they don't fall into the "man this poo poo is so gnarly, what a badass!" schtick I was fearing it would be.

At least from where I'm at with it right now, it's a soft recommend. Cherry pick your topics and give it a shot if you haven't already.

My Favorite Murder wasn't what I was hoping it would be when I started it, but it's grown on me in a big way, and I really enjoy the hosts.

You should try Astonishing Legends if you haven't yet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kangra posted:

I have a number of podcasts that are just 2-5 people talking, and I like to have them as background noise, but looking at my feed, it's mostly dudes. So I'm looking for more podcasts with female hosts. Any recommendations?

Gastropod is two women talking about food history and science.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lol at Russell Brand having Al Gore on his podcast and making him sit through him reading an advertisement.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Hey, Al, you want to help me out with this live read?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Chapo Trap House regularly making premium subscriber eps free to everyone when they're particularly good or relevant is cool and something I wish more shows with content locked behind a paywall did.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Your Kickstarter Sucks is something I'd like to get into, anyone got any recommendations on their best episodes?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That sounded like a good idea for a podcast but I just downloaded it and oh god, the audio quality.
They should probably delete episode #1 from their feed and just make it a bonus for fans or something.

But then I got to episode #2 and it's not great. The levels are really bad and the hosts aren't speaking clearly. They also seem to spend a lot of time shooting the poo poo, which is fine, but not great for grabbing a new listener.

If someone can recommend a particular episode to try I'll give it another shot.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Every show's early eps are poo poo, check the recent ones to see.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really wish I was on good terms with any of my ex's, because I have a great concept for a podcast: "Broken Up", where an ex-couple reviews music from bands that have split up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Every show's early eps are poo poo, check the recent ones to see.

Sure, but most early episodes are just average or poo poo by comparison rather than actual recorded-with-internal-microphone-poo poo.
(I get not wanting to bother re-recording 80 minutes of audio for a hobby that you make no money on, but don't make that the first thing a prospective new listener will hear!)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Most people start with the most recent ones unless it's a narrative podcast.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Most people start with the most recent ones unless it's a narrative podcast.

Speak for yourself, I always listen chronologically so I don't miss out on all the running jokes and callbacks. Plus now that people have taken to putting older episodes behind paywalls as time goes on I'd rather get those out of the way first just in case.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Speak for yourself, I always listen chronologically so I don't miss out on all the running jokes and callbacks. Plus now that people have taken to putting older episodes behind paywalls as time goes on I'd rather get those out of the way first just in case.

It's the divide between podcasts that put out hours of content each week vs. ones that release less than an hour and do so every couple weeks. I prefer shorter, less frequent, but higher quality updates but I get that the economics of it mean that, if you want to make a living doing it, you've gotta churn out hours per week of content. On those frequent update podcasts, no one's really gonna try to power through their back catalog, and those seem to be the most popular kind of podcast.

That said, I always start at the beginning, but if the first episode is bad and it's not narrative, I'll pick a recent episode to see if it's worth at least cherry picking good episodes. A good example of this, for me at least, is Astonishing Legends, which is great but their first dozen or so episodes are...just not that good, and they were clearly figuring out a lot as they went along, but after that, they're easily the most entertaining of the "paranormal" podcasts that I've found.

My rule with podcasts is that they get one and a half episodes to hook me. If they're narrative, I'll power through the first episode no matter what and start the second episode, and if it hasn't given me a reason to stick around by then, I'm done, same process for non-narrative ones. The few times I've ignored the rule because someone said "OMG you just HAVE to keep going, it gets good I promise", I can say without exception that it really does not. Not saying things need to be great out of the gate or even have good production values, but if the performances stink and the writing is bad or the hosts annoying or they try to be funny and fail repeatedly, that's not something that's gonna change all that much.

It's probably my general dislike for "2-3 people banter aimlessly with each other about some topic" podcasts where it's literally just listening to people trying way too hard to be funny or interesting until it just gets a bit sad, but that's how I view it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

sticklefifer posted:

I really wish I was on good terms with any of my ex's, because I have a great concept for a podcast: "Broken Up", where an ex-couple reviews music from bands that have split up.

I'm going to steal this

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

sticklefifer posted:

Or have them listen to songs that were popular at the time they were still together.

'Hey, remember this song was playing in the background when we had our first fight in that Italian place and you threw a plate of spaghetti at me?..."

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Anyone know good business/finance/tech podcasts in the style of slate money or techstuff? The only other ones I can come across are complete hagiographies like a How I Built This which I didn't enjoy. I dont need D&D level negativity on business/tech but I like interesting analysis.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Kangra posted:

Here are a few I've tried so far:

Call Your Girlfriend - This should be what I would have wanted, but I find these two insufferable. I'm also really not a fan of listening to people get drunk on a show; it's never entertaining.

Lady to Lady - Sometimes good, but most or all of them are performers for a living, and the desperate competition for airtime is wearying. I've found that I tend not to like that in podcasts, to the point that having a non-established stand-up comic on it is kind of a red flag for me. Also I hate hate hate the music.

Glowing Up - This one just started, and it may or may not be what I'm looking for. Although I expect there'll be a heavy focus on consumer products and that'll be kind of boring. Also, one of the hosts is a stand-up comic, which has me slightly worried.

She Does - While something about the style never quite connected with me, I do like it. But it's also most likely over.

The Polygon Show is 4 ladies talking about videogames and is pretty fun.

Unrelatedly - whats a good podcast app for android?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Pocket Casts has been the best, used it for years now.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've used Podcast Addict for years and I love it. There's literally nothing I could imagine wanting to do with podcasts that it can't do.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Azathoth posted:

It's the divide between podcasts that put out hours of content each week vs. ones that release less than an hour and do so every couple weeks. I prefer shorter, less frequent, but higher quality updates but I get that the economics of it mean that, if you want to make a living doing it, you've gotta churn out hours per week of content. On those frequent update podcasts, no one's really gonna try to power through their back catalog, and those seem to be the most popular kind of podcast.

That said, I always start at the beginning, but if the first episode is bad and it's not narrative, I'll pick a recent episode to see if it's worth at least cherry picking good episodes. A good example of this, for me at least, is Astonishing Legends, which is great but their first dozen or so episodes are...just not that good, and they were clearly figuring out a lot as they went along, but after that, they're easily the most entertaining of the "paranormal" podcasts that I've found.

My rule with podcasts is that they get one and a half episodes to hook me. If they're narrative, I'll power through the first episode no matter what and start the second episode, and if it hasn't given me a reason to stick around by then, I'm done, same process for non-narrative ones. The few times I've ignored the rule because someone said "OMG you just HAVE to keep going, it gets good I promise", I can say without exception that it really does not. Not saying things need to be great out of the gate or even have good production values, but if the performances stink and the writing is bad or the hosts annoying or they try to be funny and fail repeatedly, that's not something that's gonna change all that much.

It's probably my general dislike for "2-3 people banter aimlessly with each other about some topic" podcasts where it's literally just listening to people trying way too hard to be funny or interesting until it just gets a bit sad, but that's how I view it.

This is the problem that the iOS 11 Podcast app is trying to solve by allowing creators to specify whether they're narrative vs episodic, and it then presents the episodes to the new user in a way to make sure they're getting what the show creator wants first impressions to be first.

Too bad they hosed everything else up.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Azathoth posted:

I've used Podcast Addict for years and I love it. There's literally nothing I could imagine wanting to do with podcasts that it can't do.

I will second this. Has been a solid app for me. The only downside is getting it to shut down properly. Oftentimes I have to force stop it, otherwise it just sits in the background hogging battery juice. The power monitor on my G7 says it eats way more than it's fair share of battery if you don't make sure it shuts down.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sidestep posted:

I will second this. Has been a solid app for me. The only downside is getting it to shut down properly. Oftentimes I have to force stop it, otherwise it just sits in the background hogging battery juice. The power monitor on my G7 says it eats way more than it's fair share of battery if you don't make sure it shuts down.
Quite odd, I've personally used it on a Note 4, Note 7, J3, and V20 and all my Kindles without that problem. Have you filled out a bug report with the dev on it? He's good about fixing stuff like that.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Azathoth posted:

Quite odd, I've personally used it on a Note 4, Note 7, J3, and V20 and all my Kindles without that problem. Have you filled out a bug report with the dev on it? He's good about fixing stuff like that.

I haven't, but knowing the dev is responsive, I will follow up on that and see what he says. I haven't tried it on any device other than my G7, but it will murder a battery if I forget to shut it down. Maybe something specific to the galaxy.

I just picked it up off the play store. Does he have a webform or an email to report directly too?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

edit: nevermind, I've found what I need.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 8, 2017

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've just gotten into the dollop and have been listening to it now for a few days at work. Really good podcast!

And recommendations for episodes that I should listen to next?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Harminoff posted:

I've just gotten into the dollop and have been listening to it now for a few days at work. Really good podcast!

There are a few "lost" episodes that they took down because of accusations of plagiarism but I think you can still find them floating around the internet if you look.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I thought the John Africa episode was particularly good.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Harminoff posted:

The cereal men is a classic I guess.
Funny weird ones: The bone wars, pedestrianism, Count Dante, jet pack madness, the willie dee...
The Iraq war is soul shattering as are the toxic woman of riverside and the torture psychologists.
There's a lot of good ones, but it's also depressing sometimes to here how loving awful people are.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Guy Mann posted:

There are a few "lost" episodes that they took down because of accusations of plagiarism but I think you can still find them floating around the internet if you look.

Whaaaaa? Tell me more I want to hear them but I'm lazy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snowy posted:

Whaaaaa? Tell me more I want to hear them but I'm lazy.

Someone on Reddit found them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is there a good atheist/theist debate podcasts? I'm listening to "A Christian and an Atheist" which is pleasant, but I've listened to eight episodes and so far it's pretty much the atheist guy asking why God is so mean and the Christian guy saying well, that's a good question!