Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Spartan421 posted:

I miss the good old days when it was all about vital, useful, relevant, useless. This is what I tested for dammit. I don't want to learn some new method every time I log in. I gave up on that stuff and just do transcription now.

You don't want to do that in Canada.

They... Don't have many pages to rate like that. You get repeats. Lots and lots of repeats. And then this is mostly either stupid car stuff, stupid autotuned-to-poo poo music stuff, stupid sport stuff, stupid restaurant stuff, stupid company stuff, etc...

NOTHING interesting. At all. Nada. Zip. Unless you are into sport, cars, eating out, buying concrete blocks, etc. Maybe just my luck of the draw, I'm into none of that. And if I were into it, I may be into it the first five times I get the same query with the same pages to rate. Not the sixth and on.

The side-by-sides are more interesting because they don't repeat quite as much, but having to type in comments sucks, considering it is the same amount of time for more work.

The map tasks are agony with the amount of work they take. And lately there has been a lot of that. They are also unerringly about companies or restaurants. Fair enough, not likely someone is googling a nature reserve, but still...

Leapforce sucks if you are a passionate environmentalist with communist leanings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Has anyone heard of BPO Photo Flow? They claim to pay to take real estate photos, but I'm suspicious of a place that advertises on Craigslist.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Has anyone heard of BPO Photo Flow? They claim to pay to take real estate photos, but I'm suspicious of a place that advertises on Craigslist.

Most of the clients I work for, I got on Craigslist. That's not to say that everything there is legit, of course, but it doesn't necessarily mean any given job is a scam just because it's on CL.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hey, Crowd Content is accepting new apps for writers right now. The turnaround time for me from putting the app in to now was one day, but I was on a waiting list I think.

Mind you there were no jobs available when I logged in, but that's a sample size of about 20 minutes so I have no idea how much work is available.

Worst thing that could happen is you have another source of jobs.

https://www.crowdcontent.com/

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Transcription is definitely the fastest pickup, also, I was speaking to one of the bosses at DT today, they've been very swamped with some new clients, but she's going to be processing some tests this Friday. In fact possibly I will be helping as I'll be getting my QC training, woop!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I saw an ad for DT on Craigslist when I was browsing earlier today, so yeah, they're apparently back in hiring mode once again.

For $1600 a month, though, you definitely need multiple clients and preferably multiple gigs (transcription/writing/search engine). I honestly start to get antsy when any one client is paying me north of about $800. Diversification will set you free. (Before the Demand Studios reorg, there were people making upwards of three grand a month there, and the place has been shut down for about two months now. There were more than a few people who were so comfortable with that income, they didn't have any alternate gigs lined up. They're not happy campers at the moment.)

Calypso Hippo
Dec 29, 2008

Free Air! No Oppression!
Are there any Canadians in here doing transcription? I'm having some trouble finding good companies to apply to. Some quick Googling tells me that GMR transcription is reliable for work and everyone seems to be getting paid on time but then I saw this on the FAQ they have:

quote:

Is there a probation period for new typists?
Yes, all new typists must complete 2 hours worth of audio before receiving paid work. During this probation period, we will be carefully proofreading your work to ensure that your transcripts are up to our standards.

Seems like a lot of work to do for free. This is a pretty big red flag, yes?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

A lot of places will have you do a sample transcript for them, but two hours worth of tape seems a bit excessive.

Calypso Hippo
Dec 29, 2008

Free Air! No Oppression!
That seems to be in addition to the sample transcript you must do upon applying.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

The sample should be enough for them, I wouldn't want to work for free. I've read about people having payment issues with GMR. Apparently the company changed hands a few years ago and has been coasting on its old reputation.

edit: and Way With Words accepts Canadian transcribers:

http://www.transcriptioncanada.com/

I forgot, GMR is also selling transcription certification for only $400:

http://www.gmrtranscription.com/scholarship/scholarshiphome.aspx

I know someone who applied with them and GMR wanted her to pay for that crap before doing any work for them.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 25, 2014

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Holy poo poo. There's such thing as training for medical transcription, and legit MT jobs require training or certification, but training for "general transcription" is just a hilarious scam.

Avoid these fuckers like the plague if they're actively ripping people off like that.

Read the thread, apply at a entry-level transcription house. Bam, you just got certified as a transcriptionist.

EDIT: AHAHAHAHAHAHA and after your "training", you do an "internship" where you transcribe five hours of tape for free with the company for them to evaluate your skills. God, I feel bad for anyone who got roped into this.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 25, 2014

Calypso Hippo
Dec 29, 2008

Free Air! No Oppression!
Ya I dug a bit deeper and realized how lovely they seemed and started to find better companies. Sorry for the silly question before. Thank you for the link and the tips though.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Don't worry, it wasn't a silly question. I mean, it wouldn't be completely out of the question for an outfit to give you a live piece of work as part of your orientation/exam and not pay you for it; if they were otherwise a legit company that would be a little shady, but not a dealbreaker for me. Two hours was a bit much, and of course the stuff we found by digging seals the deal.

Part of being a freelancer is learning to spot these kind of warning signs, and if that hadn't read sketchy to you and prompted you to say something about it, we wouldn't have found out just how bad those guys are. :)

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah it's always good to ask around about companies. Their website looks legit at first glance.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Well it's been three weeks and Textbroker has yet to lift that block on me for writing my first five articles. Fortunately Zerys is starting to pick up now that I'm up to a 4.

Any tips and/or tricks for Constant Content? I've gotten accepted into that as well, but I haven't done anything aside from look around.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 26, 2014

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Five hours? poo poo now I have to clean my monitor, spat coffee everywhere for that.

Anyway there are some places that will take Canadians. I have a new client I'm sitting on for transcription and translation work but I'm waiting for my payout just to give a final grade. I feel good about it because a friend of mine physically works there, so I'm not worried I just don't want to give the thumbs up for nothing.

DT is hiring again, they brought on...I think the boss said five new bodies this week, and they're going to be processing some more applications as well.

Also, if you're really into it, check with your local provincial authority and see if you can get a legal cert. It costs about $100 here in Nova Scotia, and could gain you some lovely after the fact work if you're good. I was able to find several small firms around me looking for people I just didn't have the qualification at the time.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Is Daily Transcription's poo poo hosed? Every time I try to e-mail them my resume it comes back as failure to send.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I...don't know...sent an email off to the boss so I can find out for you.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008
What are freelance writers typically paid online per word when just starting out and doing work through like independent clients? What is a place like textbroker typically paying per word?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

PoorUser posted:

What are freelance writers typically paid online per word when just starting out and doing work through like independent clients? What is a place like textbroker typically paying per word?

Starting out, content mill work tends to float around the 1-2 cents a word range. Most of the places that pay better than that are hard to get into, either because they keep their writer pool pretty small or they require credentials and expertise.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Is Daily Transcription's poo poo hosed? Every time I try to e-mail them my resume it comes back as failure to send.

Okay, so I don't know what to say other than I've been given this address to use

hrdailytranscription@gmail.com

I don't know whether or not that was the same one you were trying, but as of today I've been told this is the one and it's working.

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 28, 2014

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
Question for anyone who write for Zerys, and I apologize if this has already been touched on. I got in at a 3 star level. I am having trouble making sense of all these categories and subcategories. I understand that these will directly impact what jobs show up, is that correct? Is anyone willing to share categories and subcategories that net a decent amount of articles?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm not terribly sure how the categories work because honestly I've played around with them and have seen no difference in what sort of content is available. My fiance sees completely different stuff than I do, though, so there must be some sort of secret.

As an aside, with 3-stars on Zerys you're going to have trouble getting work of any kind. The best I can advise is to set up email alerts or a browser extension that alerts you of page changes (I use Check4Change on Firefox, I think there's a Chrome equivalent too) and grab what you can get until you claw your way up to a 4. Don't be surprised if you see nothing for a while. It took me almost a week for anything to show on Zerys until I managed to get to 4.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Derek79 posted:

Question for anyone who write for Zerys, and I apologize if this has already been touched on. I got in at a 3 star level. I am having trouble making sense of all these categories and subcategories. I understand that these will directly impact what jobs show up, is that correct? Is anyone willing to share categories and subcategories that net a decent amount of articles?

The categories matter, but because we as writers aren't privy to what settings clients use, and we can't see jobs we're not eligible for, it's really hard to judge what their criteria are. Like Pikestaff (I'm the fiance) I've played around with categories and seen no meaningful changes in what is available, but we do get different things.

Particularly good categories are probably things like Cities and Locales, Home and Garden, and sometimes Technology. As Pikestaff says though the bigger issue is probably your star rating. You'll just have to take whatever you can get until you can build that up to 4 stars, because below 4 not many jobs go up at all.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I just had a kind of funny experience with Constant Content. I submitted an article and got an email telling me the article needed revision. Apparently, the only thing wrong with the article was the font size of the title. In the "Editorial information for your article" section, the email said, "Make sure content is submitted in 12 pt. font throughout (including the title). This is size 3 in the text editor." The article is about 600 words long, and 588 of them are the right font size, but they rejected the content and sent me an email almost as long as my article because the title was font size 4. This strikes me as pretty funny.

By the way, font size is not listed under the "Please note these formatting rules" section on the editing page. So, keep this in mind when you submit your first article to Constant Content.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Two questions:

- Is tutor.com still a thing, or are there any alternative websites that are good? That might be something I'd want to pursue (though it'd be kind of a hassle to set up since I have a Mac). The OP says you can't live in New York State, is that still true?

- What would be a good other way to start with this kind of thing? I don't know if I have the writing skills to do the writing stuff, I might do transcription maybe. I'm just looking for something I can do during the summer, nothing long-term

(Basically: is the OP out of date, or not)

Valex fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 28, 2014

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

The transcription stuff is still up to date and still perfectly doable. Writing's taken another big hit lately, because content mills are constantly trying to outmaneuver Google's algorithms that are trying to devalue garbage writing. The sector is kind of splitting up into two tiers -- content mills that produce articles for sites that don't really give a poo poo about whether it's good or not (and pay 2c a word or less) and outfits that want more authoritative content (and require credentials or experience from their writers, but pay 5c a word and up).

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Anything not in a quote in the OP is as up to date as I've been able to keep it (I've made a couple of edits this month actually), but that excludes the Tutor and LiveOps stuff, since I know nothing about them and rely on the people I quoted. Kaz more or less constantly reaffirms the stuff he says about Transcription, so that's good to go.

The Zerys Categories thing, I found an interesting post on their writer forums, a response from an admin. They said, basically, that only the top categories matter for finding work on the open boards. Assignments posted do no have a flagged subcategory, so anything under "Technology" will show up for you if you have one of your categories set there.

Subcategories are for clients who may search for writers to give solo work, bypassing the open board entirely. So if a client wants to find someone with Technology -> Windows -> Quirks with Office 2003 or whatever bullshit subcategory they choose, and they run a search for writers in that subcategory, if you don't have it set you won't show up.

In practice, however, I don't know how relevant that is. I know a LOT of the work through Zerys comes from solos, judging by the "work completed in the last 24 hours" feed. There's just no way to know if those people developed relationships with clients from the open board, or if the clients searched out writers directly for solos. I know I've never been propositioned for a solo on the platform, but I've also only written a handful of articles there, mostly from the same two or three clients.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

Valex posted:

Two questions:

- Is tutor.com still a thing, or are there any alternative websites that are good? That might be something I'd want to pursue (though it'd be kind of a hassle to set up since I have a Mac). The OP says you can't live in New York State, is that still true?

- What would be a good other way to start with this kind of thing? I don't know if I have the writing skills to do the writing stuff, I might do transcription maybe. I'm just looking for something I can do during the summer, nothing long-term

(Basically: is the OP out of date, or not)

As far as I know, nothing's changed with Tutor.com, though I'm not with them any more as they refused to hire me back with my old title and rate of pay this summer.

As for similar work, I'm currently going through the hiring process with a company called WebWise Tutors. WWT requires current teacher certification, though, so they might not be for everyone. I'll post updates in this thread once I do some actual work for them.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

The transcription stuff is still up to date and still perfectly doable. Writing's taken another big hit lately, because content mills are constantly trying to outmaneuver Google's algorithms that are trying to devalue garbage writing. The sector is kind of splitting up into two tiers -- content mills that produce articles for sites that don't really give a poo poo about whether it's good or not (and pay 2c a word or less) and outfits that want more authoritative content (and require credentials or experience from their writers, but pay 5c a word and up).

I've noticed this too, so I'm starting to think that splitting this topic up into two different threads would be helpful. Basically, one thread for writers who are getting started and need places that don't demand lots of experience, and another thread for higher-paying specialized sites that pay more. From what I've seen in the second category there are more places popping up that pay $50 to $100 per article, but you do need to be a subject matter expert to write for them. Here's an example of one of these listings: http://allindiewriters.com/freelance-writing-jobs/

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It really depends for writing. I've put some articles up on Ghostbloggers which worked out decently enough. A ~1200 article that takes maybe 30 minutes to write goes for around $43 or so, but the problem is you're not actually guaranteed to make any sales. If you do try them and make a sale, though, cash out immediately, since there's a 7-day waiting period (During which the buyer could get a refund if they don't use the article or if it does happen to be plagiarized and got past the content reviewers) that starts when you cash out, not when you actually make the sale. They pay via Paypal once the 7 days are up.

They do make sure that whatever you send them isn't already out there on the internet in some form, whether that be plagiarized or something you already wrote and then copy/pasted, and they also review to make sure that whatever you're selling is at least somewhat "timeless". Product reviews and that kind of stuff are no-go, while opinion pieces, recipes, explanations of science stuff, that's all good to go. Literally no experience is necessary, just join and throw poo poo out there (Try to keep from using identifiers in your articles, since you have no clue who could buy it or what their exact opinions, gender, experiences, etc are, and you're essentially just writing a blog post for someone lazy to come buy). The content reviewers usually take about a day to review an article and either get it out there or reject it with a fairly specific message as to why it was rejected.

Worst thing I can say about it is it's a real crapshoot. I'd say it's impossible that anyone could make a living off it, but an injection of a quick $40-60 is nice as a bonus, especially for some throwaway crap you wrote while watching a video or some poo poo.

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Okay, so I don't know what to say other than I've been given this address to use

hrdailytranscription@gmail.com

I don't know whether or not that was the same one you were trying, but as of today I've been told this is the one and it's working.

Thanks for this. I don't know why their listed e-mail address doesn't work, but at least this one seems to have gotten through.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 29, 2014

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

rocinante posted:

I've noticed this too, so I'm starting to think that splitting this topic up into two different threads would be helpful. Basically, one thread for writers who are getting started and need places that don't demand lots of experience, and another thread for higher-paying specialized sites that pay more. From what I've seen in the second category there are more places popping up that pay $50 to $100 per article, but you do need to be a subject matter expert to write for them. Here's an example of one of these listings: http://allindiewriters.com/freelance-writing-jobs/

I'll happily include any higher paying opportunities that people can vouch for as reputable. Constant Content pays fairly decently (more so than Ghostbloggers usually, with all the same issues of whether or not you make a sale) and Listverse, if you find something they like, is $100 for ~1,000 words.

Edit: Is there something more to that Indie Writers site? Every "job posting" I clicked on was just a crawled craigslist link. Do they do particular vetting of the jobs to weed out scams?

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 29, 2014

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007

Nighthand posted:

I'll happily include any higher paying opportunities that people can vouch for as reputable. Constant Content pays fairly decently (more so than Ghostbloggers usually, with all the same issues of whether or not you make a sale) and Listverse, if you find something they like, is $100 for ~1,000 words.

Edit: Is there something more to that Indie Writers site? Every "job posting" I clicked on was just a crawled craigslist link. Do they do particular vetting of the jobs to weed out scams?

That I'm not sure about, and Craigslist is full of blind ads a lot of the time. The best way I've found to determine whether a site pays writers and offers consistent work is doing a search on LinkedIn. If it's legit, people will often say that they write for that site on there.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

It really depends for writing. I've put some articles up on Ghostbloggers which worked out decently enough. A ~1200 article that takes maybe 30 minutes to write goes for around $43 or so, but the problem is you're not actually guaranteed to make any sales. If you do try them and make a sale, though, cash out immediately, since there's a 7-day waiting period (During which the buyer could get a refund if they don't use the article or if it does happen to be plagiarized and got past the content reviewers) that starts when you cash out, not when you actually make the sale. They pay via Paypal once the 7 days are up.

They do make sure that whatever you send them isn't already out there on the internet in some form, whether that be plagiarized or something you already wrote and then copy/pasted, and they also review to make sure that whatever you're selling is at least somewhat "timeless". Product reviews and that kind of stuff are no-go, while opinion pieces, recipes, explanations of science stuff, that's all good to go. Literally no experience is necessary, just join and throw poo poo out there (Try to keep from using identifiers in your articles, since you have no clue who could buy it or what their exact opinions, gender, experiences, etc are, and you're essentially just writing a blog post for someone lazy to come buy). The content reviewers usually take about a day to review an article and either get it out there or reject it with a fairly specific message as to why it was rejected.

Worst thing I can say about it is it's a real crapshoot. I'd say it's impossible that anyone could make a living off it, but an injection of a quick $40-60 is nice as a bonus, especially for some throwaway crap you wrote while watching a video or some poo poo.

Thanks for this. I don't know why their listed e-mail address doesn't work, but at least this one seems to have gotten through.

Yeah, they're redoing the induction stuff this week, so there's going to be a form and then the test info will be auto sent to you. Also the test file is changing, I'll be eager to see what horrors they provide you with for the winter has been a night that was dark and full of terrors. :-)

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008
Does anyone know of any thorough, accurate plagiarism checking sites that you can run a 20+ page word document through? Preferably something more professional than academic, based off web results and book results. Free or pay. Need to use one for a freelance writing gig and the I am not really trusting of some of the amateur looking sites out there. One wanted rights to print my document online for the next two years. :aaa:

PoorUser fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 30, 2014

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Advice for dealing with a first private client? Up until now 100% of my writing has been done through one of the sites listed in the OP. Today one of the clients I've written for through one of the platforms (being vague intentionally) googled up my username and emailed me direct, since he likes the poo poo I've written. I liked writing it too, it's a subject I'm decent with. His offer: become his private writer, writing the same kind of stuff. 3x 1200-word articles per day, 7 days a week, ongoing. Same pay as on the platform from his end; i.e. I get what I'm getting now + what the site is taking as it's cut, for a net pay raise to me. It works out to be over 2x what I've made on my best month.

So, if I have the confidence in myself to handle it, what do people use to make/sign contracts? What special clauses or anything should I ask for? I fully admit to being lost in the entrepreneurial world at large, and I've probably been relying on content mills too much and have gotten complacent. This is a very attractive step forward, and I want to do what I can to secure it as best as possible. Help me become a real boy, friends!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

PoorUser posted:

Does anyone know of any thorough, accurate plagiarism checking sites that you can run a 20+ page word document through? Preferably something more professional than academic, based off web results and book results. Free or pay. Need to use one for a freelance writing gig and the I am not really trusting of some of the amateur looking sites out there. One wanted rights to print my document online for the next two years. :aaa:

Copyscape is the general industry standard plagiarism checker most of the content mills use. There's another one I can't remember the name of offhand too, that is free and a lot of writers use just to check their own content to make sure no accidental phrases slipped in.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Udelar posted:

As for similar work, I'm currently going through the hiring process with a company called WebWise Tutors. WWT requires current teacher certification, though, so they might not be for everyone. I'll post updates in this thread once I do some actual work for them.

How much do they pay? I am social studies & special education certified.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

laxbro posted:

How much do they pay? I am social studies & special education certified.

SPED tutoring seems to start at $25/hr. I should stress though that I've only just completed their Blackboard training. Once I get the rest of the way in and start doing sessions, I'll ask around for what they need and post impressions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The Daily Transcription test video sure is something. I'm about halfway through it right now and man, it's like they recorded this whole video on a camera phone from the year 2002, while running a juicer just off screen.

I've got a few quick questions on formatting and I assume someone here will know. Should I denote when the interviewer speaks as INTERVIEWER or should I just use Q or what, exactly? My instincts tell me to use "interviewer" but the examples that DT has says "q". Also, at the top where it would usually be denoted "TRANSCRIBED BY DAILY TRANSCRIPTION", should I put my name where Daily Transcription is? The rest I'm more or less good on, but I want to make sure I got this right.