Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So here's a weird trailer for August: Osage County that paints it as an uplifting family dramedy and I can't tell how serious it is given that the play is basically just a bleakly comic three-hour snakepit of molestation, suicide, and incest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Obviously Avatar wasn't post-processed, but if this movie were also filmed specifically for 3D (and some of Clooney's comments seem to suggest it was), then I think one of the advantages is in creating a sense of scale. Amidst all of the other technical triumphs of Avatar, the one thing that I always remember was just how enormous the 3D was able to make certain elements of the film appear. I imagine having an astronaut floating around with a properly 3D earth in the background could be jaw-dropping if done well. Also in the teaser there's a shot of one of the astronauts reaching right up to the camera to grab a rogue screw that seems like a pretty big hint as to how critical the 3D might be.

GonSmithe posted:

There are a WHOLE bunch of shots in that trailer that make it seem like 3D was intended, even if it was post-converted. Seriously, watch the trailer again specifically looking for shots that would be crazy in 3D, it's full of them.
I went back and watched it with these posts in mind, and I am now under the impression that the movie was filmed with 3D in mind and that it will quite probably work. I've been having a lot of fun trying to figure out how exactly they're going to make it, which got me sidetracked into finding out just how difficult actual astronauts find it to perceive distance in space. So I'm already enjoying this movie. Thanks trailer!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TTBF posted:

I went back and watched it with these posts in mind, and I am now under the impression that the movie was filmed with 3D in mind and that it will quite probably work. I've been having a lot of fun trying to figure out how exactly they're going to make it, which got me sidetracked into finding out just how difficult actual astronauts find it to perceive distance in space. So I'm already enjoying this movie. Thanks trailer!

This is obviously ambiguous to the point of being useless, but if it hypes you up:

Slate posted:

According to Guillermo del Toro, Cuarón and his collaborators (including Children of Men cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki) consulted filmmakers like David Fincher and James Cameron for help with their plans, because they were “so insane,” and Cameron said “look, you’re about five years into the future … it’s too early to try anything like that.” Yet Del Toro says they pulled it off.

More quotes from Del Toro here (only the slightest spoiler which I think has been mentioned on this very page)

http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-james-cameron-call-alfonso-cuarons-gravity-insane/

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The World's End: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U-mUI

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Buttrock: The Trailer

Captain Harlock: Space Pirate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIFNNaB89k0

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 14, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So here's a weird trailer for August: Osage County that paints it as an uplifting family dramedy and I can't tell how serious it is given that the play is basically just a bleakly comic three-hour snakepit of molestation, suicide, and incest.

I find it weird that Benedict Cumberbatch is in it but the trailer doesn't name him in the actor list.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I find it weird that Benedict Cumberbatch is oddly well cast as Chris Cooper's son. I never would've thought to do that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Saw the Gravity trailer in front of Gatsby in 3D tonight, it looks increeeeeedible on the big screen. Can't wait to see it in IMAX.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What did you think of Gatsby?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
There's a tiny Gatsby thread that could use some more posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548606

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GonSmithe posted:

Saw the Gravity trailer in front of Gatsby in 3D tonight, it looks increeeeeedible on the big screen. Can't wait to see it in IMAX.

Saw it in front of Gatsby too and most of the theatre laughed, especially at the end.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Lobok posted:

Saw it in front of Gatsby too and most of the theatre laughed, especially at the end.

Yeah, I saw some comments on the internet saying the exact same thing. I don't get it, what's so funny about the ending?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's the casting for Gravity that hurts its public perception, in my opinion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Did Sandra Bullock loving kill someone or something?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

She isn't known for a movie like this? :shrug:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I keep seeing crazy comments on the 'net about her, with regards to this film. None of them mention that this isn't her usual fair.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I haven't seen her around much. I liked her in Speed I guess

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

PaganGoatPants posted:

The films she's best known for are like The Blind Side and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and The Lake House and other stuff designed primarily to win awards and make your mom cry.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Miss Congeniality.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Attention Horse posted:

Yeah, I saw some comments on the internet saying the exact same thing. I don't get it, what's so funny about the ending?

I didn't know she was in the movie. I saw the trailer in the theater and the entire theater collectively rolled their eyes/laughed. I feel like the entire trailer was just collisions followed by the lady astronaut loosing and regaining her grip in a constant loop.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sandra Bullock's character should have sneezed in her space helmet and George Clooney could have laughed at her.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

Miss Congeniality.

Miss Congeniality is excellent.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

On the plus side, there's Demolition Man. On the negative side, Crash.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Attention Horse posted:

People take Bullock floating off into space in only one of two ways: evoking the horror of HAL killing Bowman in 2001, or the dude hitting the propeller on the way down during his fall in Titanic. The crowd I was with already wasn't buying the trailer, and so the ending set them off. Maybe people don't buy Clooney or Bullock as serious astronauts or it just ended up being funny how often the movie relied on them drifting away. Like imagine you saw a trailer for an Everest movie where there were 3 or 4 separate times that someone slides down an icy cliff edge and maybe they won't make it!!!

It was like the reaction to the trailer for that recent Halle Berry 911 dispatcher movie. The trailer has one abducted girl call 911 and Halle Berry has to listen as the killer kills the girl and gloats. Terrifying. Suspenseful. Then the trailer shows it happening a second time. But then the audience is thinking, haha this lady sure loving sucks at this! And people started laughing.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 13, 2013

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

It's also because, unfortunately and unavoidably, astronauts flailing in space look like big weird-proportioned Michelin Man babies trying to grab something.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Sandra should try copying this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUozFOlxVnM

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I had no idea who the female astronaut was, and thought the trailer looked really really cool. Except for the closeup on Clooney's face. That threw me.

But I'm still super-excited for this movie.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Seeing this trailer so soon after rewatching Moon just makes me want the Solaris remake on Blu that much more :(

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On the plus side, there's Demolition Man. On the negative side, Crash.

Crash is a bad movie now?
This is news to me.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Deakul posted:

Crash is a bad movie now?
This is news to me.

I think there's pretty much consensus on the fact that Crash is the worst movie to ever win Best Picture.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jewmanji posted:

I think there's pretty much consensus on the fact that Crash is the worst movie to ever win Best Picture.

I thought Spader was awesome in that film

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I remember really liking it, but I haven't seen it in about 6 or 7 years.

I'm also sure that there's been far far worse movies that have won awards.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

After watching all the Best Picture winners, ahahahaa, no it is not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Byzantine posted:

After watching all the Best Picture winners, ahahahaa, no it is not.

It's a terrible movie that manipulates your emotions with stereotypes and shoves them down your throat. A majority of goons, from what I've read, share the same opinion of the film.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought Spader was awesome in that film

Different Crash I believe.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Hahaha, wow, yeah, holy living gently caress does that trailer not represent the real tone of the play. I feel like some people are gonna leave that movie extra shook up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jewmanji posted:

Only among people who have not seen Chicago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

Only among people who have not seen Chicago.

Or "Greatest Show on Earth"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barudak posted:

Or "Greatest Show on Earth"

Shakespeare in Love and Kings Speech say hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Chicago, King's Speech, and Shakespeare in Love are all perfectly fine films that Crash is significantly worse than.

• Locked thread