Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeliciousBees
Jul 15, 2001

Any chance someone with a Surface RT could run dxdiag and dump the results into something like PasteBin? I'd love to see the detailed specs on this thing, but so far all I've seen is "Tegra 3 and also it plays video gud".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

CptUnderpant posted:

Any chance someone with a Surface RT could run dxdiag and dump the results into something like PasteBin? I'd love to see the detailed specs on this thing, but so far all I've seen is "Tegra 3 and also it plays video gud".
Nope, that's a "desktop app." Not gonna run on Windows RT.
e: Upon googling, DirectX 9 is supported on Windows RT, so it's possible that they left dxdiag in there.

GameCube fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 26, 2012

DeliciousBees
Jul 15, 2001

Werthog posted:

Desktop runs any ARM-compiled apps, which is why Paint and Notepad still work on RT tablets. I believe there's an ARM version of dxdiag in there too.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Werthog posted:

DXDiag is a built in Windows app, it will probably run unless MS went out of their way to remove it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CptUnderpant posted:

What do you want to know? CPU speed is about the only thing they dont tell you upfront.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So other than the Surface and Vivotab, are any other RT tablets coming out soon?

I don't care about the Surface Pro or Windows 8 tablets since I really only use a tablet for internet/e-mail/other light stuff. I'm bored of iOS and Android and want to try something new, but would consider holding out if there's something else in the pipeline.

Edit: I'm leaning towards the Vivotab because even if the keyboard is cramped the extra battery is nice. Has anyone in this thread picked one up yet?

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 26, 2012

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Probably a good idea to go back two or three pages of this thread and work your way forward, because this was heavily discussed yesterday.

Edit: In short, almost nobody is bullish on RT, best advice is to wait and see what happens with Intel's new line of chips due early next year. We are expecting that you will be able to get a full Windows 8 tablet for the same price as today's RT devices.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Anyone else agree that this is good detail for the OP?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Probably a good idea to go back two or three pages of this thread and work your way forward, because this was heavily discussed yesterday.

Edit: In short, almost nobody is bullish on RT, best advice is to wait and see what happens with Intel's new line of chips due early next year. We are expecting that you will be able to get a full Windows 8 tablet for the same price as today's RT devices.

With 10 hour battery life?

And again, I don't care about Windows 8 on a tablet. I have a laptop for when I want to do anything more than media consumption.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

And again, I don't care about Windows 8 on a tablet. I have a laptop for when I want to do anything more than media consumption.

Again, go back three pages and read your way forward and see how you feel then.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

We are expecting that you will be able to get a full Windows 8 tablet for the same price as today's RT devices.

If this is true, can someone tell me what advantages if any an RT device has over a full Win8 tablet (other than "RT is available now").

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Again, go back three pages and read your way forward and see how you feel then.

I have. My question was not about what everybody thought about RT. I've read the reviews and I can return whatever I buy if I hate it.

My question was if there was anything else right around the corner that I might be missing.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

For Clover Trail, yes.

You'll get better performance and the same battery life for the same price as any current RT tablet.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Kazy posted:

For Clover Trail, yes.

You'll get better performance and the same battery life for the same price as any current RT tablet.

Cool, maybe I'll purchase one in a few months then assuming those claims are true. So I guess the answer to my question is no? There is nothing coming out soon or out now other than the Vivotab or Surface?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I have. My question was not about what everybody thought about RT. I've read the reviews and I can return whatever I buy if I hate it.

My question was if there was anything else right around the corner that I might be missing.

Check out the thinkpad tablet 2. It's almost exactly the same size weight as Surface RT but a full x86 tablet with ten hours battery life in the same general price range. Its supposedly out today.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

OldPueblo posted:

Check out the thinkpad tablet 2. It's almost exactly the same size weight as Surface RT but a full x86 tablet with ten hours battery life in the same general price range. Its supposedly out today.

Oh that looks nice, thanks. If it's coming out sometime in November maybe I'll go ahead and pick up the Vivotab (since it is $200 cheaper than the Thinkpad w/dock) and return it if I find that RT doesn't meet my needs.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The Samsung ATIV tab is also an upcoming Windows RT tablet. Supposedly coming out late November or early December.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OldPueblo posted:

Is it? Everything I've seen is indeterminate early November.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wasn't the ATIV the one that only had 12gb free on a 32gb SSD?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, I searched frantically after reading that post and I wasn't able to find it for sale anywhere.

Don Lapre posted:

It does have an SD cart slot anyway (and as previously mentioned you can in fact store media on those and use it), but point of order: Samsung build quality sucks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Yeah, I searched frantically after reading that post and I wasn't able to find it for sale anywhere.

It was definitely announced to be available today. I've been following it closely.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

evilweasel posted:

I guess it got bumped, there are still a few articles on line quoting the 26th. :(

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Werthog posted:

e: Upon googling, DirectX 9 is supported on Windows RT, so it's possible that they left dxdiag in there.

If anyone wants to write an app to get as much hardware information out has possible, RT has nice "device enumeration" APIs in it. I wrote a tutorial on them here, to get started:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/458550/Device-enumeration-in-Windows-8

(but I don't have a surface yet so can't do it myself)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

FWIW the WinRT Surface I got in today had a max 17GB free on a 24.9GB hard drive without anything installed on it by me.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

FWIW the WinRT Surface I got in today had a max 17GB free on a 24.9GB hard drive without anything installed on it by me.

I thought the Surface had a 32GB hard drive?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Werthog posted:

I thought the Surface had a 32GB hard drive?

32 - restore partition = 24.9 gigs
24.9 gigs - OS = 17 gigs free

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

univbee posted:

Oh. Oh, wow. And this being Microsoft's tablet, this is presumably as good as it gets.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So reviews I've been seeing mention the Vivo Tab has the keyboard dock bundled at the base price, but no retailers actually mention it on the product description. If I buy the Vivo Tab from say Office Depot or Best Buy what are my chances of getting the keyboard dock?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

So reviews I've been seeing mention the Vivo Tab has the keyboard dock bundled at the base price, but no retailers actually mention it on the product description. If I buy the Vivo Tab from say Office Depot or Best Buy what are my chances of getting the keyboard dock?

The ones at my Best Buy listed at $599.99 have the keyboard dock, but neither the website or circular mentions it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is it true that Windows 8 tablets will only support IE and no other browsers? Sorry if this has been answered. Google is only giving me speculative articles from May.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

caiman posted:

Is it true that Windows 8 tablets will only support IE and no other browsers? Sorry if this has been answered. Google is only giving me speculative articles from May.

Definitely not. WinRT I can't speak for, but Win8 will still run any browser you want.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Yeah, Windows 8 can run any browser, Windows RT can only run IE. Presumably you can create a "browser" that runs on RT, but you'd have to use IE's Trident renderer.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

caiman posted:

Windows 8 lets you use any browser you want. For the Metro part, a browser has to be specially-designed to work in Metro and it needs to be set as your default browser to be used in Metro.

Windows RT, however, is IE-only.

e:f;b

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ah, so it's strictly Windows 8 RT. So my followup question would be, which version will be the most prominent for Windows 8 tablets: RT or standard?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

univbee posted:

Can someone explain this restore partition thing to me? What possible good reason could there be to eat up so much space as a restore partition instead of reloading the OS from a desktop? Maybe because it is so ridiculously large? Some sort of silly Microsoft licensing restriction?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I'd be surprised if RT last more than 6 months or so.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Three Olives posted:

Can someone explain this restore partition thing to me? What possible good reason could there be to eat up so much space as a restore partition instead of reloading the OS from a desktop? Maybe because it is so ridiculously large? Some sort of silly Microsoft licensing restriction?

Without a disk drive they can't ship a windows RT restore dvd with your device, and RT won't let you alter the boot order and install from usb anyway, so you can't restore from a usb stick or over your usb via pc.

If poo poo goes sideways, they want the tablet to be able to restore itself for ma and pa kettle, who probably don't understand os re-installation.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Three Olives posted:

My hunch is that they're trying to differentiate themselves from iPad's issue of still needing a full-blown computer, either for the initial activation (I don't think this is a problem anymore, but OG iPads definitely needed a computer for the initial setup and were criticized for this), or for restores if things go south on the device. Still seems ridiculous that they didn't just integrate a read-only embedded restore drive that didn't ding the advertised space.

EvilBit
Nov 25, 2005

It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I'd be surprised if RT last more than 6 months or so.

I disagree, partially. I think that there's a good chance that Windows RT will bomb. However, I do think that from the standpoint of a tablet device, the Surface RT is just as good as any tablet upstart, only with one nice benefit and one completely insane benefit.

The nice benefit is that Microsoft has a pretty drat good design team. The hardware is slick as hell and the OS is actually rather well-designed, especially when you lop off the Windows 8 part. There's still some weirdness with the desktop and all, but overall it's a much less jarring disconnect. I think that Win 8 is still just fine, but the Metro/Classic dichotomy does make it more confusing than it needs to be. But overall, Windows RT has all the makings of a solid tablet OS as long as MS does a fair job of keeping it updated to work out the kinks.

The completely insane benefit is that Windows RT has enough shared architecture with Win8 that in many cases, developers literally tick a checkbox to create an app that runs on both desktop machines and featherweight touchscreen tablets. This is not to be underestimated. Imagine if every iPad app would also run on OS X. The shared architecture also means that Windows RT is compatible out of the box with the vast majority of your devices. Mice, keyboards, printers, scanners, etc. No adapters, no driver mess. Just plug it in and go.

The main problem that Microsoft faces is that they're presenting Windows RT amidst the sound and fury of Windows 8, not as a completely separate Windows Tablet. They should have come out and said, "Here's a tablet. It runs a tablet OS. It's fast, light, and pretty. Look how nice it is. Oh, and by the way, it has a USB port, works with all your devices, and almost every app that it can run will also run on your Windows 8 PC. Developers barely have to do a thing to release on two major platforms simultaneously." Setting up the tablet expectation and then showing how much of a leap it is beyond the standard giant-phoneless-smartphone concept would have made so much more sense than presenting a not-quite-PC. From the tablet perspective, the Surface RT is actually a hell of a device that suffers from nothing more than a poorly-stocked app store that happens to be incredibly easy and enticing to develop for.

EvilBit fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Oh that looks nice, thanks. If it's coming out sometime in November maybe I'll go ahead and pick up the Vivotab (since it is $200 cheaper than the Thinkpad w/dock) and return it if I find that RT doesn't meet my needs.

The Samsung ATIV Smart PC is out today, it seems to be the only Clover Trail tablet that is. Staples seems to have it in stores for $599, and it also comes with a stylus.

• Locked thread