Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

I don't understand these glib responses. Did you guys find each chase scene significantly different than the other, and if so, how? Did any of the fertile wives seem saliently different than one another, and if so, how? Did you feel that Mask Guy, Gun Guy, and Metal Nose Guy were actual characters that distinguished themselves as different people?

Yes. They take place in different locations, different things happen, they're shot distinctively, they have different meanings for the plot. Yes. I can tell faces and names apart, and they have different personalities and do different things in the plot. Yes. They're enough "actual character" for a movie villain, and they're distinguished through costuming and action. I don't need my evil guys monologuing about how they're misunderstood, like some sort of Bioware title (I threw a videogame reference in there, because I think that's the only part of this reply you'll be able to parse and didn't want to be overly cruel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just got back from it. Solid as gently caress. Really great film.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

just saw it in 2d and this movie loving owned. i can only imagine max and furiosa are both deaf due to the guns going off beside their heads.

My theater was full, i hope that translates to more movies like this

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got back from an early showing. Wow that was the most incredible loving movie I've seen in years.

MEDIOCRE

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That was one of the most metal things i've ever loving seen in my life.

Go see this movie. Immediately. If possible, with a large crowd.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I don't understand these glib responses. Did you guys find each chase scene significantly different than the other, and if so, how? Did any of the fertile wives seem saliently different than one another, and if so, how? Did you feel that Mask Guy, Gun Guy, and Metal Nose Guy were actual characters that distinguished themselves as different people?

For the wives- I'm not that great with names but you've got Whiteley's character being clearly the guru of the movement. The film could have stuck with their motivation being simply "we don't want to be sex slaves anymore" and it would have been just fine, but instead there's a certain philosophy- they think warriors like Immortan "killed the world" and refuse to perpetuate that cycle. I figure Furiosa also helped introduce those ideas but it's the pregnant one who ran with them.

There's the one who tries to go back- who thinks for a moment "it wasn't so bad", and at the end there's the fake-out where it looks like she's going to betray the others.

And you've got the one who connects with Nux and helps him find a new purpose after his MEDIOCRE! performance for Joe.

Immortan Joe is pretty drat memorable as a character. On a certain level, of course, he's an rear end in a top hat who has control of a resource and makes himself a warlord. But there's this weird level where he seems to believe his own hype- or at least that what he's doing is somehow righteous. A lot of this is the performance, which is really solid.

As for each chase being different- well in a certain sense it's all one big chase broken up into sections, it's all about how the sections flow into each other. I felt there was definitely a mounting danger and intensity as things kept piling on.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Best movie I have seen this year. What a lovely day!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I'd never really seen a Mad Max movie before, but the things I've seen from the trailers looks like dope poo poo and I'm pretty hyped to see this new. But I figured, hey, since I've never seen any of these movies before, I might as well warch them before seeing the new one.

I'd a little under an hour into Mad Max so far and... it's not what I was expecting. Like, at all. It's 70's as gently caress, for one thing, probably since it so heavily involves cars that at most are given a paint job to disguise them as future cars, but even if they weren't the style and cinematography would have dated it just as easily.

I also wasn't expecting "Mad Max" to be a family man. given the impression the beginning gave, and the legacy of the series, hell even the name of the movie and character, I was expecting some kinda lone warrior type, but NOPE, he's a husband and a father, and this is a police/family drama.

he's just got his black car, so it looks like shits about to go down. post more thoughts after the movie. do wanna say first that this soundtrack is bizarre

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
^ this is always the best reaction, as long as you swiftly follow it up with Road Warrior.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy poo poo this movie.

Holy poo poo.

As a big fan of the franchise, I loved every second of this. Some of the most inventive and amazing action I've ever seen, the world-building is fantastic, and every shot is loving BEAUTIFUL.

I want to see it again. Like, immediately.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So I'd never really seen a Mad Max movie before, but the things I've seen from the trailers looks like dope poo poo and I'm pretty hyped to see this new. But I figured, hey, since I've never seen any of these movies before, I might as well warch them before seeing the new one.

I'd a little under an hour into Mad Max so far and... it's not what I was expecting. Like, at all. It's 70's as gently caress, for one thing, probably since it so heavily involves cars that at most are given a paint job to disguise them as future cars, but even if they weren't the style and cinematography would have dated it just as easily.

I also wasn't expecting "Mad Max" to be a family man. given the impression the beginning gave, and the legacy of the series, hell even the name of the movie and character, I was expecting some kinda lone warrior type, but NOPE, he's a husband and a father, and this is a police/family drama.

he's just got his black car, so it looks like shits about to go down. post more thoughts after the movie. do wanna say first that this soundtrack is bizarre

You're getting to that, but the first movie is about Max becoming the character that he's best known as in The Road Warrior. I was a bit surprised myself when I first saw the movies a while back, if only because people typically only talk about and reference the second film.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 15, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thirding, you are having the ideal experience. And yeah, make sure to follow it up with Road Warrior.

3 is bleh but might be worth watching anyways so you get cultural references to Master Blaster and the Thunderdome.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 15, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo.

That was balls to the wall amazing. I don't even think being high enhanced it because it was already awesome. That guitar guy is the coolest, but I wanted Max to torch him with the guitar.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

qbert posted:

Holy poo poo this movie.

Holy poo poo.

As a big fan of the franchise, I loved every second of this. Some of the most inventive and amazing action I've ever seen, the world-building is fantastic, and every shot is loving BEAUTIFUL.

I want to see it again. Like, immediately.
I do too. I saw it tonight and I haven't been able to stop thinking about the loving multitude of rad moments from the movie since I left the theater. I want to see it again at some point this weekend. And I want everyone I know who enjoys action movies to go see this too. It's on another level from just about everything else that's come out recently.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
This was the best action movie I can remember seeing in quite a long time. It's pretty much wall to wall with only a few stops to catch your breath. This movie knew what it was, and didn't even think about being anything different. Fantastic stuff.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Just got back, etc.

I think I liked it a bit less than the goonmind consensus, but it was a movie that delivered on exactly what it advertised, and I respect that.

My favorite part was surprisingly how they made each of the wives into a distinct personality. Most action movies can't be bothered to make the token helpless female into a character, nevermind five of them, nevermind in something like 20 total lines of dialogue.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
whats incredible is how Miller managed to pull this off when only thing hes done in last 15 years is friggin happy feet. wat

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gesadt posted:

whats incredible is how Miller managed to pull this off when only thing hes done in last 15 years is friggin happy feet. wat

Well in all fairness he's been making this for 12 years, and his Justice League was good to go with cast and costumes before the plug was pulled. This is a great few years for 70-some directors. This, Prometheus, and Wolf of Wall Street all were gorgeous, energetic movies with something to say.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

feedmyleg posted:

Well in all fairness he's been making this for 12 years, and his Justice League was good to go with cast and costumes before the plug was pulled. This is a great few years for 70-some directors. This, Prometheus, and Wolf of Wall Street all were gorgeous, energetic movies with something to say.

Wow, I just looked it up and Miller is 71?

Goddamn he just schooled every young director on how you shoot action.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Ok so exactly how much dialogue is there in this film?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
just finished Mad Max 1

What a goofy rear end movie.

my god this soundtrack, loving incredibly out of place in basically every scene, even when it gets the tone right it's too drat loud and obnoxious, sometimes i can't even hear people speaking when it's doing it's thing well past the point it's needed

loved badass grandma

so wait did his kid die? and what happened to his dog?

and the way the bad guy died holy christ

so yeah the tone of this movie is kinda weird, like it switches between being a police drama to a gang war to a family vacation to a revenge flick, and even weirder it all kinda meshes together okay.

anyway I'm loading up the next movie now and, wow, we get an explanation for what the seting is in the sequel, okay

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

PerpetualSelf posted:

Ok so exactly how much dialogue is there in this film?

A fair amount, but it's very spread out. There's not a lot of dialogue heavy scenes. Most of it's front-loaded in the first half, then there's an extended scene with a few conversations at the start of the second half. Everything else is screamed over trucks crashing together.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

so wait did his kid die? and what happened to his dog?

Yeah, he died. The doctors mention that Sprog was killed instantly and his wife is in critical condition, with the assumption that she died during or after his rampage. And didn't he not have a dog in the first film?

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Yeah, his kid died. The dog was killed too, that was the dead animal strung up in the forest that Jessie ran into.

I rewatched Mad Max for the first time in a while the other day. I had almost forgotten just how weird it was, but also how disturbing. Left me feeling pretty bad until I started up The Road Warrior and started having fun again. For the record I've always been a huge fan of these movies ever since first seeing them as a teenager about a dozen years ago. Super stoked to see The Fast and the Furiosa tomorrow afternoon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Got home from work, checked this thread out of curiosity, remembered the movie came out tonight, and then left to go watch it in the last showing in my theater.

Very much liked it. When I was first introduced to the world Immortan has built up, I was like, "the gently caress does something like this come about?" and then I didn't care. Movie's pretty good. I certainly liked it a lot more than I did the original Mad Max.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Just watched it, awesome film, great score, really good use of the score, pro as gently caress social messages, 10/10

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good movie, its like Borderlands the movie that is Mad Max the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

drat man, I just finished watching it and all I can think about is watching it again. It wasn't the greatest movie of all time but it was drat infectious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can someone refresh me on whether there was a point to the homoerotic undertone to the first two films? Like, I vaguely remember the cops in 1 dressing like leather bondage dudes, and then in the second film the villain gang was full of gay dudes.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
And the award for best Mad Max Mook goes to: Guitar Hero!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Dean of Swing posted:

He was all anyone was talking about as I left the theatre. Hallway, foyer, bathroom, parking lot; everyone was all about guitar guy.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

Can someone refresh me on whether there was a point to the homoerotic undertone to the first two films? Like, I vaguely remember the cops in 1 dressing like leather bondage dudes, and then in the second film the villain gang was full of gay dudes.

that being gay is normal? i dunno, watching these for the first time, but it seems like they aren't highlighted as being abnormal for their orientation

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Mad Max video game has a lot to live up to when it finally comes out.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Steve Yun posted:

I think someone early in the thread said there was some 70's book about gay bikers that influenced Bowie and Mad Max.

Dean of Swing posted:

I wonder if Miller played Rock Band? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiXMHLTZxkY

Can people stop talking about tomato score or MRA's in this thread and just focus on how awesome this film is? TiA.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 15, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SatansBestBuddy posted:

that being gay is normal? i dunno, watching these for the first time, but it seems like they aren't highlighted as being abnormal for their orientation

I dunno the second movie kind of associated gay = the bad guys

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Good movie, its like Borderlands the movie that is Mad Max the game.

I actually found it really reminded me of Rage. They have really similar post-apocalyptic aesthetic.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

just finished Mad Max 1

What a goofy rear end movie.

my god this soundtrack, loving incredibly out of place in basically every scene, even when it gets the tone right it's too drat loud and obnoxious, sometimes i can't even hear people speaking when it's doing it's thing well past the point it's needed

is there a part where we hear saxophone on the soundtrack, then the camera pans round and Mrs Max is playing it? That's some Police Squad hilarity there, if it actually happened like I remember it.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
The original Mad Max has always held a special place in my heart because it is on a very short list of films that "got" me to such a place, on the first viewing, that I wanted to physically punch horribly mutilate the main villain because of the raw emotion it struck. When Toecutter's gang runs down Max's son and wife, man... I can't explain why that moment hits me the way it does (compared to a zillion other movies that do essentially the same thing) but I've always preferred the original for that one moment, even though I think the second one is the better film. I was so happy to hear that the same actor who played Toecutter is the main villain in this one!

Can't wait to see this on Saturday. I've been looking toward to this for YEARS and it sounds like it was well worth the wait. :dance:

e:VVV Bold words to say the very least. For me the yardstick is Diehard but T2 is the runner-up. gently caress I need to see this so bad right now.

T3hRen3gade fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 15, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just got back. For a long time Terminator 2 was the yardstick that I used to measure all other action movies. While a lot of great action movies have come since then, none of them really ever did it for me as much as T2. Tonight that changed. This movie is now the yardstick by which I will measure all action movies going forward, because it's the best one ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually found it really reminded me of Rage. They have really similar post-apocalyptic aesthetic.

I wonder what movie both borderlands and rage copied?

• Locked thread