Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

doyle-san posted:

Guys I am SUPER PRESSED FOR TIME when I am WATCHING my ANIMES

UGH WHAT IF IT'S JUST NON ESSENTIAL WHATEVER AGAIN

This, also the ED is really fuckin good and you should always watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

Ledgy posted:

This, also the ED is really fuckin good and you should always watch it

It's usually just a simple matter of checking if there's more than 1:30 left when the music starts, and if so, skipping that far ahead. But yeah, this is the first series in a while that I watch the ED every time. Bonus points when they start it early and do the whole song.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Angry Grimace posted:

I was reading up on this and its a Taiwanese food cart item at night-shopping markets. Apparently in real life the wait time for Hujiao bing is really long because they can only make so many at a cart and the demand is super high.

Of course he has something up his sleeve, and who knows what Tsukasa and Yugioh are plotting to stop him. I won't be surprised in the least if this is a fake-out arc where you think he did bad and then it turns out he just made massive profit because he has almost no overhead with just a cart he borrowed from the research society and Tadokoro as his only employee.

Heh, there's a cameo-callback in this chapter by the E. Honda looking guy that got his research society disbanded in a Shokugeki against Erina ~110 chapters ago. He's on the splash page trying to refound the society. And Mimisaka is on the same page hiding behind a bunch of boxes spying on them. :lol:

Interesting. I can see the long wait being flipped into an advantage; if you're on line for mapo tofu, just put in an order for buns at the roving stall and pick them up on your way out. I'm sure the bun's flavor will be complementing the intense heat of mapo tofu dish in some way.

Anyway, can't wait to see how the competition really goes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Grimace posted:

Heh, there's a cameo-callback in this chapter by the E. Honda looking guy that got his research society disbanded in a Shokugeki against Erina ~110 chapters ago. He's on the splash page trying to refound the society.

Just started the anime so I noticed that right away. I think it's pretty cool that even when he's lost his clubhouse he doesn't give up. :unsmith:

Also I completely forgot about that phase where Erina is such a huge bitch that she's actively disassembling clubs that she doesn't like because they focus on things other than fine dining. Glad they phased that out and I hope it comes back to bite her in the rear end.

Pringleton posted:

It's usually just a simple matter of checking if there's more than 1:30 left when the music starts, and if so, skipping that far ahead. But yeah, this is the first series in a while that I watch the ED every time. Bonus points when they start it early and do the whole song.

I really liked that one episode where they were humming the end song just as it was coming on. Actually the anime is shockingly good, I was expecting it to be just okay but it's easily as good as the manga. Though at the pace they're going I can't figure out where they'll end, there's not really enough time to do the Autumn Election but I can't remember what else there is before that which could last the length an anime series.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Showing that character who was owned in the Donburi challenge using a Donburi recipe to get through the trial was a nice touch.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pringleton posted:

Hey now, I never said it wasn't a petty nonsensical irritant. I just watch with my laptop on my computer and don't care for the ED so I have to get up and go skip it which is a minor inconvenience to me. :colbert:

LorneReams posted:

Showing that character who was owned in the Donburi challenge using a Donburi recipe to get through the trial was a nice touch.

Hey now, her name is Meat, get it right! (Nikumi is an actual important character)

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Just started the anime so I noticed that right away. I think it's pretty cool that even when he's lost his clubhouse he doesn't give up. :unsmith:

Also I completely forgot about that phase where Erina is such a huge bitch that she's actively disassembling clubs that she doesn't like because they focus on things other than fine dining. Glad they phased that out and I hope it comes back to bite her in the rear end.

I really liked that one episode where they were humming the end song just as it was coming on. Actually the anime is shockingly good, I was expecting it to be just okay but it's easily as good as the manga. Though at the pace they're going I can't figure out where they'll end, there's not really enough time to do the Autumn Election but I can't remember what else there is before that which could last the length an anime series.

They just won't finish it. They'll end with Alice/Soma first round or Mimisaka/Soma second. They are slow rolling the material for sure. If we assume they get back to the dorm this week (Ep. 14), they'd probably finish the vacation arc by what, Episode 16? There's basically no way they can run through the entire prelims plus the side arcs plus all of the battles in 9 more episodes (it is supposed to be 26 episodes, I believe).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Grimace posted:

They just won't finish it. They'll end with Alice/Soma first round or Mimisaka/Soma second. They are slow rolling the material for sure. If we assume they get back to the dorm this week (Ep. 14), they'd probably finish the vacation arc by what, Episode 16? There's basically no way they can run through the entire prelims plus the side arcs plus all of the battles in 9 more episodes (it is supposed to be 26 episodes, I believe).

The vacation arc was when he went back to his hometown diner, right? That might last until episode 17. Also didn't they babysit some kindergarten kids at one point? I kinda want to reread the manga to find out but I'm holding back cause I want to be surprised again, I don't really remember much of what happened between finishing the camp and starting the Autumn Election. It would be pretty lovely of them to end it right in the middle, though, maybe they'll just do 20 episodes? Some anime still do things in 20 episode chunks, right?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sure there will be some filler episodes, and if said filler episodes can flesh out some of the supporting characters like the other dorm kids then all the better.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The vacation arc was when he went back to his hometown diner, right? That might last until episode 17. Also didn't they babysit some kindergarten kids at one point? I kinda want to reread the manga to find out but I'm holding back cause I want to be surprised again, I don't really remember much of what happened between finishing the camp and starting the Autumn Election. It would be pretty lovely of them to end it right in the middle, though, maybe they'll just do 20 episodes? Some anime still do things in 20 episode chunks, right?

I might have linked the relevant chapter here... I might have linked a (non-H) Soma doujin instead. Your choice to click or not: http://bit.ly/1Js09lO

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, Nisekoi last season was 20 episodes, and Season 2 was only 12. Ending on a cliffhanger is probably fine since they'll have a lot more material to adapt by the time they'd start on a new season. This has been an extremely faithful adaptation to the point that every single scene and panel has appeared at some point plus some extras. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the individual arcs went on even longer than I'm imagining. But I don't see any way, shape or form they can complete the Fall Classic.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I usually skip the OP, so this is probably thefirst time I noticed that the credits there always appear with a light bit of steam that dissipates. It's a good touch.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 125

For some reason I thought the Polar Star stand was in the Main Street area, but the map places it way up in the Mountainview area.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Latest anime casting updates:

Hayama Akira: Suwabe Jun'ichi (Garcher)
Sadatsuka Nao (Sadako): Goto Saori (Kiryu Moeka, Steins;Gate)
Hojo Miyoko: Seto Asami (Ayaka, Witch Craft Works; Shoko, Valvrave)

Hayama got even more buttery.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Soma has a secret plan, but he doesn't tell Tadokoro what it is. Checks out.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

vibratingsheep posted:

Hayama Akira: Suwabe Jun'ichi (Garcher)

So Suwabe will play two dark-skinned, white-haired handsome guys who had a difficult childhood and are goddamn geniuses at cooking in a row.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I am the bone of my cooking knife.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Gonna call that a semi-confirmed on the sniping by moving the food cart.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Gonna call that a semi-confirmed on the sniping by moving the food cart.

Sniping what?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The entirety of her character development is because her friend stopped reinforcing her bullshit.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 7, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Grimace posted:

Sniping what?

Customers :synpa:

Angry Grimace posted:

The entirety of her character development is because her friend stopped reinforcing her bullshit.

Not really, all of her bullshit is still being reinforced. Like, she was never stopped from destroying clubs, so presumably they're still gone. She still acts like she's better than everyone else, and everyone else act like she's better than them. Look back at the trainee arc where she waltzed into that one guy's kitchen and refused to do what he said and just took over the place, like she expected to be in charge so much that everybody took orders from her including the head chef.

So she's still plenty full of bullshit. But Soma doesn't care about any of it. It's actually really fun watching the early parts over again in the anime, Soma is such a hick and is constantly either unimpressed or ignorant of what she thinks is so drat impressive and just shuts her down constantly, it's great.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 7, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well, he said from the beginning to Erina that he was doing that, I thought you meant he was gonna snipe recipes or ingredients or something.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Compendium posted:

I am the bone of my cooking knife.

I am the spice of my food
Dill is my body and mint is my soul
I have created over a thousand dishes
Unknown to chives, nor known to basil
Have withstood stench to create many blends
Yet, this nose will always smell everything
So as I pray, unlimited curry works.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New Chapter: http://www.readmanga.today/shokugeki-no-soma/126

Hilarious chapter. Alice and Soma couldn't give less of a gently caress about their predicament.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I really liked that last page. This manga's artwork is really good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Seems the anime's ending song isn't just fun to listen to, it's also really fun to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjgEtSfMrc

I have no idea if anyone here even still plays Rock Band, but if you do, give it a spin.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Seems the anime's ending song isn't just fun to listen to, it's also really fun to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjgEtSfMrc

I have no idea if anyone here even still plays Rock Band, but if you do, give it a spin.

Is there a CDLC for Rocksmith of this?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

New Chapter: http://www.readmanga.today/shokugeki-no-soma/126

Hilarious chapter. Alice and Soma couldn't give less of a gently caress about their predicament.

He cashed in on the Japanese peoples biggest weakness. Timed exclusives.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://bato.to/read/_/331806/shokugeki-no-soma_v13_ch109.6_by_anonymous

They finally went back and cleaned up an earlier chapter.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

That art... :stare:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Ukiyo-e manga... that's amazing. :allears:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I don't think there's any other anime with an opening and a closing theme that are both catchy as hell while not being annoying.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't think there's any other anime with an opening and a closing theme that are both catchy as hell while not being annoying.

Utena?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gandlethorpe posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

gandlethorpe posted:

Space Dandy?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, they changed the opening and ending themes, and not for the better. :(

I'm beginning to appreciate the anime more though, as we are getting into parts I don't remember as well. I forgot just how hard they pushed that Soma is basically exactly like his dad. Also, does anyone know how many episodes the anime is supposed to be? Because the opening seems to suggest it'll be going all the way to the Autumn finals and I wonder of they have enough time for that.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Chapter 127 is up. http://bato.to/read/_/333276/shokugeki-no-soma_ch127_by_casanova/

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That wasn't the solution I was expecting. I get that it's basically market research and encourages the customers they're giving out free samples to, to return to the cart the next day. But the fact that they can't make any money off of it and that it means they've pretty much wasted two days (how long is the festival supposed to go for again) makes me think they aren't going to defeat Kuga's profits. I'm beginning to suspect that if they do beat Kuga it's going to be in an area other than profits, since he said he'd let Soma challenge him if he was better in any one area, not solely profits.

Soma and Nao's meeting was pretty great though. I didn't even realise their similarities until the chapter basically pointed them out.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
I have to say, I love the gradual character development in this story. I mean Erina being concerned about Soma's competition and him winning is completely new, it is the first time she's really let down her "Yukihara MUST be expelled!" facade. Normally she'd be gloating over his poor performance. I get that part of it has to do with the school's reputation and the fact five chefs who were in the top 8 of the elections are in danger of being expelled, but she personally mentioned Soma having to beat Kuga and it was a ~moment~.

Also, this manga is killing me with its attempts to humanize Erina through connecting her to Megumi. This has to be intentional but I fall for it so hard. When Erina sounded flustered when Megumi apologized to her....oh God.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that if they do beat Kuga it's going to be in an area other than profits, since he said he'd let Soma challenge him if he was better in any one area, not solely profits.

Souma's probably going to beat him on the very last day. Sure if you look at the entire event Kuga will have kicked his rear end, but he's one of the best of the best so he had drat well better. Clinching first place for just one day will be enough of a victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

BlitzBlast posted:

Souma's probably going to beat him on the very last day. Sure if you look at the entire event Kuga will have kicked his rear end, but he's one of the best of the best so he had drat well better. Clinching first place for just one day will be enough of a victory.

The way things are shaping up this is probably what's gonna happen. Soma will lose the competition with Kuga, but potentially win if you see the bigger picture. Soma slowly rising to the top rankings (and probably maintain the spot for the last few days) implies if they were actual restaurant owners, that is, their profits aren't only being compared based on a few days period, Soma's restaurant will be a lot more successful.