Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

Art for upcoming spoiler

Temur Babysitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mikujin posted:

Gideon isn't from Theros, though. Nissa is the only planeswalker of those in Origins whose home plane we know of (and will visit). At least according to Wizards.

I think what they meant is "we only know which plane Nissa is from" rather than "only Nissa is from a plane we've seen before". I'd expect at least a couple of them to be from already-existing planes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Yawgmoth posted:

Temur Babysitter

I didn't even notice the baby, WTF.

Bring your kid to work battle day.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mikujin posted:

Gideon isn't from Theros, though. Nissa is the only planeswalker of those in Origins whose home plane we know of (and will visit). At least according to Wizards.

I think you're misunderstanding. They said the only one that's been revealed is Nissa, and in fact many of them are planes were ones we knew about. Its not gonna be 10 planes you never heard of. The only other one that's confirmed to be a new plane is wherever Chandra is from.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think what they meant is "we only know which plane Nissa is from" rather than "only Nissa is from a plane we've seen before". I'd expect at least a couple of them to be from already-existing planes.

I just keep hoping that Gideon is secretly a descendant of Gerard somehow. That way he can meet Karn and voltron up with New Phyrexia to become Urza's True-Legacy.

.........or something. I just want one of them to be from Dominaria.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Venser was from dominaria :qq:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

Venser was from dominaria :qq:

So is Karn.

(sort of)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 5, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I was really hoping for a goofy revival of Venser via time travel shenanigans, but it didn't fit this blocks theme. Other than time travel.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Madmarker posted:

I just keep hoping that Gideon is secretly a descendant of Gerard somehow. That way he can meet Karn and voltron up with New Phyrexia to become Urza's True-Legacy.

.........or something. I just want one of them to be from Dominaria.

I wonder how much longer they can put off going back to Dominaria. They've got to do it eventually.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

I think you're misunderstanding. They said the only one that's been revealed is Nissa, and in fact many of them are planes were ones we knew about. Its not gonna be 10 planes you never heard of. The only other one that's confirmed to be a new plane is wherever Chandra is from.

Yeah, I dunno how I misinterpreted that so hard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder how much longer they can put off going back to Dominaria. They've got to do it eventually.

I'm gonna be a little disappointed if they just abandon Dominaria. I don't really understand why they would. It has a lot of nostalgic stuff there and there's nothing inherently wrong with the plane in terms of flavor.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Art for upcoming spoiler

Mother of Platoons?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Entropic posted:

Mother of Platoons?

Clearly whatever it is its pandering to the strong independent single mother demographic.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm gonna be a little disappointed if they just abandon Dominaria. I don't really understand why they would. It has a lot of nostalgic stuff there and there's nothing inherently wrong with the plane in terms of flavor.

Dominaria was basically just "vague mishmash of every fantasy trope" land and then they basically blew it up in Time Spiral. It doesn't even really have any particular flavour of its own other than "that place where all that poo poo happened".

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Dominaria was basically just "vague mishmash of every fantasy trope" land and then they basically blew it up in Time Spiral. It doesn't even really have any particular flavour of its own other than "that place where all that poo poo happened".
Storyline speaking, its the Nexus of the Multiverse! :toot:

Its a little generic sure, but so is Zendikar if you take away the random Magical Space Fleas from Nowhere.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

Art for upcoming spoiler

Mother of Runes Axes :black101:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hope Axe Mom is playable. :black101:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I just get annoyed that Maro and the Story team rule out a lot of things for dumb reasons that players would never really care about and in fact, most of them would like.

For example, they have "Desert World" on the short list, but that Desert World cannot be Rabiah (the "Arabian Nights" plane), literally because Bazaar of Baghdad references a real place. Like anyone cares whether the storyline is from a two decade old expansion which also happens to be literally the only Standard legal expansion that never had any actual storyline whatsoever or even any relationship to the plot whatsoever. Just change the name where the Bazaar is to something else, dummies.

Note: the "short list" is the worlds that R&D has high on their lists to develop as plane-settings. Part of that list:

Egyptian World

Fairy Tale World

High fantasy/”Camelot” World

Indian World

Meso-American World

Murder Mystery/Noir World

Pirate World

Prehistoric World

Prison World

Roman World

Sky World

Steampunk World

Underground World

Viking/Norse World

Water World

Wild West-Inspired World

Return to Previous World

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 5, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Just change the name where the Bazaar is to something else, dummies.

Bazaar of Azzup :downsrim:

Joke aside, I can understand why they don't want to revisit Rabiah specifically. It's not like there's anything stopping them from making another desert world.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Bazaar of Azzup :downsrim:

Joke aside, I can understand why they don't want to revisit Rabiah specifically. It's not like there's anything stopping them from making another desert world.

I think the older players would enjoy it and new players probably don't give a poo poo since they're not really missing out on anything in particular. They claim they didn't "invent" the IP for it, but that argument seems kind of weak with "Definitely Not a Ancient Greece" still in Standard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why would you want it to be "Rabiah"? That's just a name they made up after the fact to retcon a bunch of cards that were literally based on the Arabian Nights stories into being from a Magic plane.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Rinkles posted:

Art for upcoming spoiler

That is terrible baby carrying technique. You want to have your baby snug on your back like a backpack, not flopping around like a purse.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jorath posted:

Please tell me you played Rukh Egg.
Was the rest Ice Storm, Stone Rain, Fissure, Strip Mine, Lightning Bolt? I presume you ran Thermokarst if Ice Age was legal.

Yeah, that's about right. I also had Llanowar Elves and Kudzu, no Strip Mine because it's banned in Legacy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Why would you want it to be "Rabiah"? That's just a name they made up after the fact to retcon a bunch of cards that were literally based on the Arabian Nights stories into being from a Magic plane.

Nostalgia, dammit! Where else are you gonna print a Juzam Efreet?!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zemyla posted:

That is terrible baby carrying technique. You want to have your baby snug on your back like a backpack, not flopping around like a purse.

It toughens them up early.

Casaval
Aug 25, 2003

Newtype
I have a rules question for a deck i'm trying to make:

So if i have a battlefield thaumaturge and isochron scepter imprinted with Aurelia's fury, can I target my opponent and all this creatures and ping + lockdown them every turn?

Edit: re-read the cards, you dont get a cost reduction for targeting a player. So target each creature at least?

Casaval fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 5, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Casaval posted:

So if i have a battlefield thaumaturge and isochron scepter imprinted with Aurelia's fury, can I target my opponent and all this creatures and ping + lockdown them every turn?

Negative.

"You don't pay the spell's mana cost. If the spell has X in its mana cost, X is 0. You do pay any additional costs for that spell. You can't use any alternative costs."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zemyla posted:

Terrible Baby Carrying Technique. It's actually a Jeskai card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't know how a Murder Mystery themed set would work but suddenly I really want it.
"Exile a creature card from your hand face down and announce its power. Target opponent names a card. Reveal the exiled card and return it to your hand, and if it is not the revealed card, Murder Mystery does damage equal to that creatures power to target creature or player."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Casaval posted:

That's a tough one. If I had to guess, I'd say Battlefield Thaumaturge can't change the X from being 0.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 5, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Casaval posted:

You'll never make Aurelia's Fury work so give up now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't know how a Murder Mystery themed set would work but suddenly I really want it.
"Exile a creature card from your hand face down and announce its power. Target opponent names a card. Reveal the exiled card and return it to your hand, and if it is not the revealed card, Murder Mystery does damage equal to that creatures power to target creature or player."

Um

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

It's a new kind of morph but you need clue tokens to flip the cards face up.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Art for upcoming spoiler

Kolaghan Babbynapper
2RR
Creature - Human Warrior
Haste
When Kolaghan Babbynapper enters the battlefield, gain control of target tapped creature, untap it, it gains haste until end of turn.
3/1

This is probably some sort of really bad overcosted lovely warrior to further push Mardu Warriors like they did with Minotaurs.

I'm still mad about Minotaurs by the way.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This, but you have to exile three cards: a creature, an artifact and a land. If the opponent correctly guesses all three they win the game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Miss Liliana in the Boros Garrison with the Jitte.

Casaval
Aug 25, 2003

Newtype

Kyrosiris posted:

Negative.

"You don't pay the spell's mana cost. If the spell has X in its mana cost, X is 0. You do pay any additional costs for that spell. You can't use any alternative costs."

Right, so x = 0. So when you declare targets and factor the discount from thaumaturge x still is 0. Its not an alternate cost it's cost reduction. I tried to google rules interactions for scepter and cost reduction and didnt come up with anything.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Casaval posted:

Right, so x = 0. So when you declare targets and factor the discount from thaumaturge x still is 0. Its not an alternate cost it's cost reduction. I tried to google rules interactions for scepter and cost reduction and didnt come up with anything.

I think you never get the opportunity to set X as something other than 0. BT is a cost reduction on what you actually pay for spell with an X of some number.

Casaval
Aug 25, 2003

Newtype

Angry Grimace posted:

I think you never get the opportunity to set X as something other than 0.

Yeah, that makes sense, i guess the dream is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Casaval posted:

Yeah, that makes sense, i guess the dream is dead.

That's okay. You can still put Stifle on it. :v:

• Locked thread